Old 11-04-2019, 06:56 PM   #1

City: Beaufort, NC
Troll as looper

Love the looks of the Camino Troll, anyone loop in one?
Jmk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:04 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmk2000 View Post
Love the looks of the Camino Troll, anyone loop in one?
Haven't, but I think it would make an excellent loop boat for an individual or a young couple.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 03:48 PM   #3

City: Annapolis, MD
Vessel Name: Think Big
Vessel Model: Camano Troll 2003
Pretty sure several have looped. I remember reading a blog on a big portion of it anyways.
MiltonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:32 PM   #4
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
I think it would be a good couples boat, and I have spent some time looking at it myself. If I were getting one of the original Camano's (prior to Helmsman) there are a few small changes I would make.

Storage is somewhat limited, as the beam is only 10'6". It does, however, have a large flybridge, that I think would be perfect for one or two dock boxes for storage. I would also find a place for a large Engel portable fridge/freezer.

The holding tank is pretty small, at only 15 gallons. If I had this boat I would replace the head with a composting toilet.

I saw one owner mod in the saloon that I really liked. They replaced the settee with a pair of recliners and a mounted folded table. Most folks seem to hate this mod, but I love it for this boat.

Unfortunately, the narrow side decks are pretty much a deal breaker for me as my wife is not a very good swimmer and I couldn't see sending her forward to work on the lines, especially while locking.

There seems to be some really good prices on-line for some of these boats!

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: NorWyn
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Dream of doing the loop in a Camano!

Did three weeks with three (old) guys on board in desolation sound / broughton islands last summer...as an example....No problem.

In almost 700 hours running in two years, I cannot speak more highly of the Camano.

These are rock solid boats and as long as you understand and can cope with the size I think it would be an ideal candidate for looping.

Low maintenance, no frills and top quality boat....can’t go wrong if it fits what you are seeking imo.
NorWyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:11 AM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Get a boat similar to mine (at least 35 feet in length that comfortably sleeps two with toilet, shower, refrigerator, stove, and with decent fuel-range) but without a high profile.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:01 AM   #7
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
While I don't disagree with Mark's comment that a boat of at least 35' would be more comfortable, I think in the end it all depends upon the potential buyer's needs and wants.

I, personally, would like a boat bigger than a Troll for such an adventure, but for someone on a budget the Troll may be a great candidate. I can't think of many other newer boats (20 years of so) with a single diesel that can cruise at 12 - 14 knots (when desired) all for about 85k.

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:06 PM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Troll would be great.
Many smaller boats would be great too and some to many would be even better.
I view the Trolls as a bit over kill for what’s required on the loop.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:50 PM   #9

City: Beaufort, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Get a boat similar to mine (at least 35 feet in length that comfortably sleeps two with toilet, shower, refrigerator, stove, and with decent fuel-range) but without a high profile.
What kinda boat do you have Markpierce
Jmk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:37 PM   #10
Guru

City: Pembroke
Vessel Name: Emma B
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Here we go.....
“Need 35 ft”.....
I spend 3+ months a year on my Camano and could easily do way more.
If I was a “looper”... I’d take it in a second.
You asked..
Answer is YES!
Less fuel if you keep the speed down
Easier anchoring out...not as big
Easier to get a dock if busy...shorter boat
Less dockage fees....shorter boat
Steer inside on crappy days
Steer up on the bridge if nice out
Best of everything for a couple!
End of rant ��

PS
This message brought to you from the comfortable cabin of Emma B, prepping to haul out after a 3mth and 3 day, 1263 nm PNW cruise that went as far S as Bellingham WA and as far N as Port McNeil, BC
Durant F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 06:40 PM   #11
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
I'm sure several of those boats have looped. I wouldn't hesitate to take it on the loop
Old 12-02-2019, 12:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: DeTour
Vessel Model: Camano 31
Camano Looper yes

Two currently doing the loop now.
Our Camano we purchased from a couple who did the loop and Bahamas
So yes very capable of doing the loop and economical too.
We did not buy the boat to do the loop but rather the great lakes, Rideau, Trent Severn Canals and St Lawrence down to Quebec City.
We have not reconsidered and will most likely do the loop starting in 2021/22

Simply awesome boat.

Colin
Toronto
YellowPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:39 AM   #13

City: Chocowinity, (Cypress Landing) NC
Vessel Name: Boatwright
When considering the loop, note the official depths and reports of shoaling in South Carolina and Georgia. The Camano has a draft advantage there. The full keel, skeg under the prop are important, too. I saw a new 77 foot Riva on delivery to Florida that bent both props and shafts coming through the Aligator/Pungo canal before it ever got to its new owner. I bought my Camano in Rhode Island, spent 15 days on it, 11 for the dellivery in 2017, took New Jersey off shore, trip was a delightful experience. I'm 6'2", wife is 5'10", v-berth is great. Fuel use is great at hull speed, not bad at 8 kt., and it will do 14.4 kt, but I very rarely do that. Pacific Camano group site has fuel charts to help you estimate range and costs. East Coast Camano has pics of modifications. "Admiral's seat" is one we will likely do. Ample storage under v-berth, to starboard in engine room under helm seat, to port of transmission, in flybridge boat box, room for more under flybridge helm, under oven, under sink and forward in that space, and settee. More can be added to starboard in the salon. Lazerette is huge. Use the the small spaces well, and you'll be fine. Volvo engine is smooth and reliable, very popular in commercial applications. Delighted with mine, looking forward to spring!
NCheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:55 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCheaven View Post
I saw a new 77 foot Riva on delivery to Florida that bent both props and shafts coming through the Aligator/Pungo canal before it ever got to its new owner.
On delivery to Florida or from Florida? Can't imagine why one was there and, regardless, a 76' Riva Bahamas has a draft of 6'6" so definitely not a canal boat, plus in water that shallow might just dig itself deeper.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:41 AM   #15

City: Chocowinity, (Cypress Landing) NC
Vessel Name: Boatwright
The Riva had been shipped from Italy to Norfolk, headed down the ICW, across Albemarle Sound, and came down the Aligator River (NC) to the Aligator/Pungo canal (which is frequently used by tugs/barges, larger yachts, etc.), planning to come down the Pungo River, cross the Pamlico River, etc. Having unprotected props/shafts is one factor in the damage. The canal is remote, portions through wooded lowlands. Floating and submerged logs/trees should be expected. The point is that the Camano with full keel, engine set down in the keel for stability, etc., is designed for moderate draft, protected shaft and prop, stability, etc., all needed in its initial design locality, the Pacific Northwest. Great coastal waters cruise boat for 2.
NCheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:33 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCheaven View Post
The Riva had been shipped from Italy to Norfolk, headed down the ICW, across Albemarle Sound, and came down the Aligator River (NC) to the Aligator/Pungo canal (which is frequently used by tugs/barges, larger yachts, etc.), planning to come down the Pungo River, cross the Pamlico River, etc. Having unprotected props/shafts is one factor in the damage. The canal is remote, portions through wooded lowlands. Floating and submerged logs/trees should be expected. The point is that the Camano with full keel, engine set down in the keel for stability, etc., is designed for moderate draft, protected shaft and prop, stability, etc., all needed in its initial design locality, the Pacific Northwest. Great coastal waters cruise boat for 2.
And a Riva of that size is most decidedly not designed for those conditions.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #17
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Actually discussing what boats wouldn’t be good for the loop may reveal other good boats.
Basically any boat from about 23’ to 32’ would be fine.
Draft would be about the only drawback that’s a real deal.
Seaworthyness, accommodations, maneuverability, fuel economy ect ect are features almost anyone can adjust to. And in competent hands even a 16’ OB will get the job done. It’s just a matter of comfort. People have been going from Wash state to SE Alaska in all manner of boats. So for the loop just about any boat will do. Show me a list of boats that are Actually undesirable and not for draft.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Actually discussing what boats wouldn’t be good for the loop may reveal other good boats.
Basically any boat from about 23’ to 32’ would be fine.
Draft would be about the only drawback that’s a real deal.
Seaworthyness, accommodations, maneuverability, fuel economy ect ect are features almost anyone can adjust to. And in competent hands even a 16’ OB will get the job done. It’s just a matter of comfort. People have been going from Wash state to SE Alaska in all manner of boats. So for the loop just about any boat will do. Show me a list of boats that are Actually undesirable and not for draft.
For the loop, any boat, 10'-70' with a draft of under 6' but preferably under 5' and an air draft of under 19' (I think technically the number is now 19'6") and a range of at least 200 nm. Now most people go 25'-50' and even less draft.
Old 12-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #19
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
I thought the range requirement was up to 250-ish miles at this point?
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:57 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I thought the range requirement was up to 250-ish miles at this point?
It is not 252 miles with Hoppie's closed. That is 219 nm. I used 200 and should have said 219 as I used nautical miles, not statute.