Is a Camano “big enough” ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sometimes, too much accommodation is put in a boat. My boat has a version that had 6 permanent beds plus a fold down table increasing accommodation to 8. It is possible, but it would certainly make it tight.

Here's an old magazine article showing the layout.
http://www.australianboatmags.com.au/pdf/previews/BTSEAR8_prev.pdf

I agree with the 2-4-6 rule, although we often break it. We had a sunset cruise dinner for 6 last night, but only the two of us spent the night.

There is pne thing that the OP stated....living aboard.

That changes everything...then there is living aboard eith no dirt ties or vast storagecdiet ties snd the is living aboard at the dock and living aboard and cruising full time or a lot.

So different it is hard to imagine someone thinking they have a perfect boat without statibg the conditions.

oh live aboard... That does change things.

Even though I'm somewhat of a minimalist, a 30 foot may be ok for one, but two small for two, IMO.

Al...
Love your boat. Amazing for 27ft
And yes...the Camano really is only a 28ft hull.
Great designs!
Super couples cruisers.

Al...
Love your boat. Amazing for 27ft
And yes...the Camano really is only a 28ft hull.
Great designs!
Super couples cruisers.

There is a sunk Camano here in Ketchikan-$29000.00 Volvo engine. Engine was pickled. Interior is completely kaput. Under the circumstance of a absent successful insurance bidder, storage bill building, a lesser offer may soon be worth while. https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/d/2005-camano-trawler/6365038544.html

Were I not totally satisfied with our Marben in all respects, and a bit younger, the thought of taking this on would be enticing, as such, not so much

Al-Ketchikan

Took a ride is a friends Rosboro Pocket trawler a few months ago.
I forget the length, but it hosted twin outboards and a lot of room inside and out for 2 people. Really got me thinking about something smaller and trailerable for our interests.

We're not going to live aboard full time, but I can see the loop in the future or a few weeks or a month on board relaxing somewhere around our state.

Seemed like a nice option.
Just my uninformed $.02.

Huge difference in a looper, a dockside liveaboard and full time cruising liveaboard....doubt too many will seriously argue that...

.....but a Camano less than 40 feet is still limited in space for one end of the spectrum, but may be perfect for the other end...and any other pocket trawler too.

Totally agree.
Guess as it's already been said, it's all in one's needs and purpose:thumb:

Heck. For our purposes it won't even be a dockside liveaboard. A week, maybe a month, that'll probably be about it. Then again, things change as life changes.

Last edited:
Speaking of camanos being a great couples boat (providing they have 2 anchors)(of exceptable weight and design as well) has anyone seen a Maple Bay 27? I was lucky enough to be aboard one for a tour a few years ago. What a pretty, classic looking and extremely livable smaller boat. Only a few were built and long out of production now. No flybridge tho.. I’ve truly gotten to enjoy the flybridge on sunny days.

Hey Frank,

I had the privilege of getting a tour of the first Maple Bay 27 years ago, and have followed their progression to the 30, and their final model, the 32. Dallas Selman, the originator of the line, told me that his relationship ended with a joint effort on the 30 and Jim Scrivens developed the 32, which had the most promise but only a few were sold before production stopped.

Hi Conrad.
I thought they were a nice, efficient smaller boat.
Hope all is well in C R ��

Hi Conrad.
I thought they were a nice, efficient smaller boat.
Hope all is well in C R ��

Hi Frank - all is well!

Just back from a five day cruise to Von Donop, Octopus, and Small inlet with good friend Ted...

Fabulous weather if you like rain, fog, and some wind.

Hey Frank,

I had the privilege of getting a tour of the first Maple Bay 27 years ago, and have followed their progression to the 30, and their final model, the 32. Dallas Selman, the originator of the line, told me that his relationship ended with a joint effort on the 30 and Jim Scrivens developed the 32, which had the most promise but only a few were sold before production stopped.

I think the numbers were something like 13 27's were built, and the only 30 was #14. Or thereabouts.

Interesting thread! I bought my Camano in August and have already put on 80 hours. I love the layout and ease of handling. I do lots of solo cruising and find it a breeze handle.

Very cool boat!

I find it “just right”
Fits our intended use extremely well as I too solo a lot.
It’s easy alone yet great for 2 on a cruise.
Glad you’re enjoying yours.

I lived on a Mainship 34 Mk1. Never liked it for live aboard. Did a charter on a Camino years before. Both ok for short time, too small for live aboard. The stateroom is the problem. Hell to get into and out. Easier to put a sweater on an octopus than to make and no room for “other activities*.
Bottom line, About like a tent camper trailer, but not for extended living. You can do it, but WHY. For the price there are other, better options.

I can assure you it is certainly NOT like a tent trailer!
You must be 7ft8in and 500lbs...
I’m 60yrs old, bad joints, 5ft11in, 220lbs and can attest to the livability, ease of in-out of bed and “other activities”
Ain’t it great that we all have our own opinions....

Sometimes, too much accommodation is put in a boat. My boat has a version that had 6 permanent beds plus a fold down table increasing accommodation to 8. It is possible, but it would certainly make it tight.

Here's an old magazine article showing the layout.
http://www.australianboatmags.com.au/pdf/previews/BTSEAR8_prev.pdf

I agree with the 2-4-6 rule, although we often break it. We had a sunset cruise dinner for 6 last night, but only the two of us spent the night.

Hi auscan, I would like having a look at a few pics of inside your boat.
Having been in a few cuddles 30's and a resort 35 that was massive, what is your layout ? The pilot house changes the configuration ?

No matter what brand of boat or the length, eventually you will suffer from 5ftitis

I can assure you it is certainly NOT like a tent trailer!
You must be 7ft8in and 500lbs...
I’m 60yrs old, bad joints, 5ft11in, 220lbs and can attest to the livability, ease of in-out of bed and “other activities”
Ain’t it great that we all have our own opinions....

Everyone has their tolerances...but just my aft cabin stateroom on my 40 has nearly the usable room of an entire 30 footer and I still find it lacking room as just a liveaboard stateroom.

Everyone, except a few of us, love our boats to the point of defending them beyond reality.

Having been through 4 military survival schools I dont need much to be comfortable, but I do know the difference between making do and comfy.

I just spent close to 4mths aboard feeling pretty comfy....

In the 50’s the average home in America was 1000sq ft, 3 bedroom, one bath, one TV, one car, one phone
Families ate together and watched TV together. Both debt and stress were low.

Today it is over 2500 sq ft, typically 2-3 cars, tv’s, computers and iPhones are in every room throughout the house. The 2 or 3 car garage has so much “stuff” in it the cars are parked outside AND a Bay is rented at the self storage place for overflow “stuff”. Everyone tends to be in their own room on their own device connected to whatever outside the home. Debt and stress are at all time highs...

Guess I’m old fashioned...

In the 50’s the average home in America was 1000sq ft, 3 bedroom, one bath, one TV, one car, one phone

Today it is over 2500 sq ft, typically 2-3 cars, tv’s, computers and iPhones are in every room throughout the house. The 2 or 3 car garage has so much “stuff” in it the cars are parked outside AND a Bay is rented at the self storage place for overflow “stuff”. Everyone tends to be in their own room on their own device connected to whatever outside the home. Debt and stress are at all time highs...

Can the swim platform be considered someone's, not me, "own room"?

No right or wrong answers on the subject, whatever works, and having different opinions is allowed.

Old Dan....Pup tent on the swim platform....good to go!

Fletcher 500...Yes...all opinions are allowed and correct...for the person writing them.

A weekend cruiser is different from a boat you plan to spend 2-3mths on....which is different to a live aboard which has to have ALL your stuff.
Throw in spouse, children, defined “needs” , budget etc and the only perfect boat is the one perfect for how you use it and what your needs are.

4 whole months.... :)

Let me know after 4 years.

Again, you are a true minimalist if you dont have a storage place nearby ashore.

I’m not a live aboard and didn’t purchase the boat as a live aboard.
I spend about 4 months aboard during fall in the PNW, then another 4mths aboard my sailboat over winter in the Abacos, then 4 months back home at my down sized dirt house. I’ve been doing this for 15yrs in the Abacos, the last 10 in the PNW as well.
My style of cruising has no real “home base” as I’m on the move most of the time while afloat. My boats aren’t dock queens. My anchor well used...
For our intended use and “needs”...the Camano truly is a great boat.
If I was to “move aboard” and plug into a marina....it would be a different choice. Like I say...no perfect boats...just as close to perfect for your needs as possible.

Last edited:

Aside to the discussion- “standing alone doesn’t mean you are wrong, it merely means you are standing alone"

You are not, all that you list is part and parcel to our family's view.
Small house, small trawler,one car, one work truck.no debt and no stress.
The Good Lord were to call tomorrow, I have had the perfect life. Thank you.
Al-Ketchikan

Old Dan....Pup tent on the swim platform....good to go!

Not so sure how the occupant will feel about it but then not my problem and never make your guests too comfortable. They might never leave.

I’m not a live aboard and didn’t purchase the boat as a live aboard.
I spend about 4 months aboard during fall in the PNW, then another 4mths aboard my sailboat over winter in the Abacos, then 4 months back home at my down sized dirt house. I’ve been doing this for 15yrs in the Abacos, the last 10 in the PNW as well.
My style of cruising has no real “home base” as I’m on the move most of the time while afloat. My boats aren’t dock queens. My anchor well used...
For our intended use and “needs”...the Camano truly is a great boat.
If I was to “move aboard” and plug into a marina....it would be a different choice. Like I say...no perfect boats...just as close to perfect for your needs as possible.
Actually if a dock queen, then storage in dock boxes, sheds, cars, friends places and those of your own make smaller liveaboards posdible.

Those of us that cruise much of the year with no dirt ties dont have the luxury of minimal storage space aboard....everything comes with us.

If the boat fits you needs....great,....but I would hardly call a Camano ideal over any other boat, just ideal to those who find it so.

And I have no boat allegiance, I dont find mine better or worse than hundreds of others.

Last edited:
Once we retire next year and build our treehouse we are going to downsize and build a Bartender. We have our land and designer, just waiting for my next and last bonus check.

We saw several very nice Bartenders at last years wooden boat festival.

https://bartenderboats.com/product/26-bartender-cruising/

Attachments

• 3BF0B80B-59C1-469B-A663-5A9EC92E3D60.jpeg
    3BF0B80B-59C1-469B-A663-5A9EC92E3D60.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 69
Surely this depends on the people on the Camano. With some companions 30ft would be fine,with others a 3000 pax cruise ship might be too small.

Back
Top Bottom