Bum wheel on bottom pilothouse door slider rail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
Anyone have experience taking the sliding doors off your Helmsman 38 / Mariner 37? My port door has a serious hiccup that requires a push from my foot to open past about one foot. I am hoping the door simply lifts out of the bottom track to expose a couple wheels that can easily be replace. Is that the case?

I have a different boat, but the problem seems universal. The original roller wheel is likely inset into the door and was intended to roll on a brass rail in the door threshold. The wheels stop rotating and soon get flat spots. The chances of finding a perfect replacement are nil. There are threads here that show retrofitting a screen door roller, etc.

What I did, once I found the position that allowed the door to be lifted and removed, was to completely remove the old wheels. I then found some fairly hard and slippery plastic and cut it in to a strip that would jam fit into the old slider rabbit. I now use a few drops of silicon/teflon lubricant on the brass slider that the old wheels used to roll on. If it gets hard to slide, I wipe off the slider and put down a couple drops of lubricant.

Not a fan of sliding pilot house doors. Prefer Dutch doors.

Attachments

• DSC02700-1.jpg
    DSC02700-1.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 13
The wheels on my pilothouse doors run on a brass track. The wheels are shot but I find that a couple of squirts of Boeshield twice a year on the track keeps the door opening smoothly. Sometimes I forget to tell my wife that I've lubricated it and she'll open the door only to find it slamming hard into the back stop.

tator

Not a fan of sliding pilot house doors. Prefer Dutch doors.

I like Dutch doors too, but the people in this thread are looking for ways to improve the sliding doors/wheels on boats they already own.

Last edited:
So the consensus is to lube the track and the bum wheel rather than find a replacement wheel. Sure sounds less invasive. Less expensive too.

So Boeshield T-9, eh?

Ask Scott Helker at Helmsman. There are a lot of us looking at the issue. Who knows maybe Helmsman will develop a worthy fix kit to solve this issue

I had to remove the door on my Albin to get the engine out. While it was out I refinished it and replaced the wheels.

Getting the door off was a real pain. I had to actually cut some trim off to allow ample slide.
Next time it will be easier.

pete

I built rollers for my Europa out of nylon washers. Did not last. Then I cut a starboard square with a groove in it and made it as big as would fit. Works perfect, does not wobble, very tight. Of centered hole do I can rotates sqr to different door heights.

Hmmm, another example of sliders working better than rollers.

Back
Top Bottom