Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helmsman

Guru
Vessel Name
Mishy Jean
Vessel Make
Helmsman Trawler 38E
I was notified last week that construction had begun on our Helmsman 38E.

The decision to go with Helmsman was one which occurred after a lot of study, a viewing of a Beneteau Swift Trawler 35, a visit to Seattle, and then La Conner to look at American Tugs, another well made boat. We also had multiple discussions with other owners of the three boats. (I thought it was funny that I ended up selecting a boat that has the same name as my handle here).

My boating history dates back to high school growing up on the lakes in NE Tennessee, and when our kids were in high school we owned pontoon boats and a Bryant run about (which we still use on the Tennessee).

After retirement on the Tennessee River, we bought our first larger boat, a Carver 33 SS which was actually 38'9" and later renamed the 35 SS, and then the 37 SS. We owned that boat for four years and sold it last year. We found that the boat was a great lake/river boat for us. We enjoyed it tremendously. Many great trips on that boat, and learned the systems and the right way to manage a larger boat.

But I tired of dealing with two engines, trannys, shafts, and props and since it was a 2006 (and a boat!), the inevitable fixes that would pop up from time to time. I guess it is partially my nature, but I would always do the repair on both engines. Pretty tight down below for an older big guy. I was also a little concerned about having gas engines.

The current state of the local marine service and repair outfits was also a continuing source of irritation for me. I repeatedly would have "the best marina", "the best mechanic", or the "best electrician" on the river provide a repair, and then have to go back and re-do the work myself. Four different repair events costing thousands of dollars at three different locations all involved significant rework after months of waiting on my "slot" at their location. One marina had six different issues to be addressed. One repair (replacement of a horn - hard to reach and advised by Carver not to put weight on the area around the windshield) was completed correctly, albeit the shoe prints on the area around the windshield showed that my caution about the windshield was ignored. The other five fixes had to be reworked. (One was a potentially dangerous electrical issue that was "fixed" in a way that made it more dangerous. I figured it out after a couple of months of study on boat electrical systems.)

Another consideration for us was that we would like to take the boat south to the gulf, and perhaps further. We liked the idea of a trawler, with its typically greater range, a diesel engine, and an inside helm, without giving up the fly bridge. We knew that a single engine and a greater range might cost us some speed, but after thinking through it, we decided that wasn't as big an issue as we thought it might be.

Our first visit was to look at a 6 month old Swift Trawler 35. At the time, we liked the idea of the speeds it would reach, and thought the layout looked good in pictures. Our visit was a little bit of a disappointment. The salon was much too narrow for us. One of the door handles fell off in my hand, and the floors were pieced and creaked when we walked through. I immediately had visions of the work needed to keep the boat in good shape. In discussions with a couple of owners, (very happy with their boats), they both mentioned that they had each had gel coat repairs in a couple of spots. Per one discussion, Beneteau evidently has a couple of people traveling the country fixing those. Beautiful boat, but just not for us and our use case.

Then we noticed the discussion group for Helmsman on this forum. The comments in regards to Scott Helker and the quality of the boats really struck a chord with us. We looked at the 38E and I was hooked immediately. (TVA has enacted a regulation that since 1999, dock owners are limited to a thousand square feet for their docks. That limits the footprint and knocked out anything over the 38E size for us.) My wife was a little more reserved, and wanted to visit one.

While we scheduled a trip out to Seattle to talk with Scott and Gary, I had some good conversations with a couple of owners. What struck me with the owners was their positive comments in regards to the quality and handling of the boat. With my history of the marine repair history at the home port, I really wanted a "simple" good quality boat. Once we were able to visit Seattle, talk with Scott, Gary, and Van, and two owners graciously allowed us to visit a 38E and a 43, my wife's reservations disappeared and we made the decision to purchase. The visit to American Tug in La Connor was also great! They build very nice, high quality boats. We like the lines of the Helmsman more though, and we really like the personal touch that Scott brings to the table. The ability to put custom touches on the boat was also very important to us. I will discuss the options we went with in the next post I make, if folks would like to hear them.

We’re waiting to hear about the start of our 38E that is scheduled for this month. Can you share your hull number? Ours is Hull Number 50. We signed the contract on June 10. I’m curious how often a new build starts.

We opted for the Helmsman over the American Tug for mostly the same reasons and we live in La Conner

We’re waiting to hear about the start of our 38E that is scheduled for this month. Can you share your hull number? Ours is Hull Number 50. We signed the contract on June 10. I’m curious how often a new build starts.

We opted for the Helmsman over the American Tug for mostly the same reasons and we live in La Conner

Hi Doug.

The communication was that we were 38049. So, we are hull number 49, I think. We signed in May, so it looks like just prior to you. Scott would be able to give you a good estimate of start time. Congratulations on your boat!

We have hull #3 from before Scott bought the line from Mariner. Wonderful boat. You will be quite happy.

We have hull #3 from before Scott bought the line from Mariner. Wonderful boat. You will be quite happy.

Thank you. I am sure we will. You have one of the first ones built! One of the reasons we decided to go ahead with Helmsman was the input from so many on this forum. Your previous posts, along with others on this forum, who have enjoyed their boats, was a big endorsement to me.

Congratulations. Its a happy day.

I was notified last week that construction had begun on our Helmsman 38E.

TVA has enacted a regulation that since 1999, dock owners are limited to a thousand square feet for their docks. That limits the footprint and knocked out anything over the 38E size for us.)

Congrats on the new boat!

I must be missing something about the dock size limitation -- 1,000 sf of dock would allow a 100' by 10' dock. Or perhaps it is the footprint of the boat and dock combined?

I believe around early April, though I haven’t checked in with the team at Helmsman lately.
Our original delivery date was late April or early May in Seattle. Scott pays the factory a bonus for staying on schedule. Fingers crossed. After commissioning, we'll drive it home to La Conner.

Congrats, Helmsman. Great success on the build.

Definitely would appreciate to your comments on the custom options that you have chosen.

Do you plan to bring the boat back to Tennessee? If yes, how do you plan to take delivery?

Congrats on the new boat!

I must be missing something about the dock size limitation -- 1,000 sf of dock would allow a 100' by 10' dock. Or perhaps it is the footprint of the boat and dock combined?

My dock has a roof. The roof provides cover for rain and the summer sun. It is U shaped dock with the closed part facing upriver. It is 43’x23’ outside measurement making it a 989 sq. Ft floating dock.

Congrats, Helmsman. Great success on the build.

Definitely would appreciate to your comments on the custom options that you have chosen.

Do you plan to bring the boat back to Tennessee? If yes, how do you plan to take delivery?

We will figure out delivery on the east coast or gulf coast. May take it north up the Hudson and then Erie Canal, through the Great Lakes, down the Illinois, to the Ohio, and on to the Tennessee. If Mobile, will head up the Tombigbee to the Tennessee. Then decision time. Go to port and head up to the Great Lakes or starboard and stop at the home port for a bit.

I may put her up for winter somewhere up north, and bring her down the following spring. Not quite sure yet. Might be time for the great loop right out of the chute.

Scott Helker is a class act- You've all made great decisions.

Nothing like the new boat smell , so they tell me I wouldn’t know . I’m glad people are buying new boats so there are used boats for people like me . I very much like the boat that you’re buying, I wonder if you could get one without a flybridge

Nothing like the new boat smell

Nothing like the new boat smell , so they tell me I wouldn’t know . I’m glad people are buying new boats so there are used boats for people like me . I very much like the boat that you’re buying, I wonder if you could get one without a flybridge

Looking at pictures, the flybridge doesn't look like a separate piece, so I don't know if they could easily build one without it. But with how it sits behind the pilothouse, it doesn't add much height or bulk anyway.

Looking at pictures, the flybridge doesn't look like a separate piece, so I don't know if they could easily build one without it. But with how it sits behind the pilothouse, it doesn't add much height or bulk anyway.

I agree.

Even if Helmsman agreed to do it, the cost of tooling for different topside molds would make it an expensive custom job. Cheaper to just not outfit the flybridge with the electronics one would normally want and don't use it. Or just select a different boat more suitable to one's taste.

And since I'm familiar with the layout, there is another small point. Major changes to eliminate the steps access to the topside would not add material space inside that could be used to some useful purpose.

It's great to see Scott's customer service repeatedly rewarded. While we're never likely to pursue a Helmsman, I don't hesitate to recommend them to others. It's important we continue to praise those deserving, while equally important, we point out builders who have repeatedly failed their customers.

Flybridge

As a newb, I'm curious as to why the flybridge would be seen as a disadvantage? Height? Stability?

No flybridge

As a newb, I'm curious as to why the flybridge would be seen as a disadvantage? Height? Stability?

No flybridge, for me I don’t like them I’ll give you a numbered list why I don’t like them maybe you can tell me why are you do . Oh by the way last two boats I owned prior to the one i own now I removed the flybridge ion both those boat . I can’t tell you how many comments I got people inquiring what kind of boat was it they haven’t seen one quite like that ,most everybody liked it #1They ruin the look of the boat it looks like something was just added as an afterthought my opinion #2 they usually require some kind of enclosure here in the north west it’s to keep you warm and dry or warmer then you’re looking through crappy plastic #3 there is a problem of moisture hard on your gauges your controls corrosion you have to keep everything covered ,then uncover everything and wipe everything down #4 Don’t you just love climbing up a ladder I know I do #5 They also act as a big sail not a small sail a significant sail . I get blown around enough as it is I don’t need a sail when I’m trying to dock #6 if you have your boat hauled put on a trailer and moved it’s much easier without a flybridge #7 something else to keep clean and maintained is a joy I never have enough things to clean and maintain on a boat why not a flybridge they’re so easy to keep clean , washing all that enclosure trying to reach spots that are so easy to reach I could go on with some more examples but I think you get it , but the main reason They’re just plain ugly and they ruined the look of any trawler. their best at home on a sport fish boat ,hence flying bridge , fly along at 25 or 30 knots . My favorite boat by far is a sedan style trawler you don’t have to climb out of a hole to get on the back deck cockpit whatever you guys call it . The boat I have now is a major compromise well that’s a whole other thread

Some see them as disadvantages for those reasons and others just don't like them.

For cruising, we are adamant on having flybridges. Both while moving and when sitting they give extra space. Now we often have more people than others do on board. Also we love to go to the upper helm on nice days and enjoy the fresh air. It's a means of really expanding total space and social areas of the boat. Also, incredible if you're cruising areas like the Erie Canal or the Thames or Seine rivers or the TN Tom River to be able to see the land around you so much better. It's like having a rooftop patio on your home.

Oh I forgot to mention

Some see them as disadvantages for those reasons and others just don't like them.

For cruising, we are adamant on having flybridges. Both while moving and when sitting they give extra space. Now we often have more people than others do on board. Also we love to go to the upper helm on nice days and enjoy the fresh air. It's a means of really expanding total space and social areas of the boat. Also, incredible if you're cruising areas like the Erie Canal or the Thames or Seine rivers or the TN Tom River to be able to see the land around you so much better. It's like having a rooftop patio on your home.

Entertaining ,not on my boat . if you’re not female and happen to like old fat guys you’re not allowed on my boat . I’ll let you guess how often I have company . Time alone “priceless”

Congrats on your new build #49 and #50! We are number
#52 and expect a late May or June delivery. My husband and I are very impressed by the quality of the Helmsman, Scott and Lisa included! The attention to detail is unsurpassed! I am curious about the modifications you have made on your boats! Without a doubt, they are gorgeous and in a league all of their own.

Helmsman has what appears to me to be a tried and true process for delivering a high quality boat. That is usually accomplished by doing the same thing over and over again, while making incremental changes that add up to big improvements. Having said that, the company is very flexible in terms of getting the boat to you with the modifications that you would like to have.

They are very open to possible changes, while being clear about modifications perhaps tried or suggested before that may have a downside to them that perhaps the purchaser wasn't thinking about. To me, open discussions about this were important, because it would be easy to "over commit" to a change that might be regretted later. Scott and Gary both helped a lot in these discussions with their knowledge. I was very impressed with this aspect of it.

Over the years of developing the boats, there have been various options requested and incorporated into them that bring satisfaction to the owner. My "options" were minor compared to John's (N4061) changes, in which the footprint of the salon was reversed from port to starboard. I liked what he did, but would not want to give up the full height refrigerator for an under counter one. One of John's concepts was the 90% rule, which I think many experienced buyers of boats intuitively use when looking at both new and used boats. The same was true for us, as we moved 12 times around the country during our working years. The same applies to boats.

The hull is Kingston Gray, which we really liked on some of the images of the boat we viewed both live and on the web. Helmsman has plenty of color options, with the standard being white. For some reason, we liked the white on the 43 very much, but not so much on the 38E. A lighter hull color helps with the maintenance, and is easier on the gel coat than the darker tones.

We decided on the Cummins (480 hp version) for propulsion. We don't need a lot of speed, but there are times where river current and or tidal currents may make us happy that we went with the larger engine. As a result of the engine size, it was suggested to also get trim tabs, which we did.

Since we are eastern river boaters, with the occasional east and gulf coast trips, we started the rest of our option list with a generator and two HVAC heating, cooling systems. We had two HVACS in the Carver, and they were sufficient to heat and cool that boat. There was at least one prior build with three HVAC's on a 38E which home ported in the Charleston SC area, but we felt we would be ok with two, again based upon experience. After sleeping on the Carver in hot summer weather on the hook once without AC, we knew that no AC would be a show stopper on any boat. If we were in the Pacific NW, I am not sure that it would have been a requirement.

We stayed with the 6kw Northern Lights generator with it's excellent reputation. I was a little concerned with whether it was a sufficient KW size for the boat, but after some good discussion decided to stay with it.

Since we knew we needed a gennie, the next step was to go with an induction cooktop with the convection microwave installed underneath it instead of using a propane stove. I realize that propane versus electric is a personal design choice for the purchaser with strong opinions either way. It was easy for me because my wife wanted it this way, and so that is what we are doing. :) We found on our previous boat we didn't use the cook top that much preferring to grill outside and will probably do the same with this boat with a small magnum grill.

We decided on an arch as opposed to the mast. We like the look of the arch more than the mast (again personal design choice), and also like the ability it gives to "spread" the electronics.

We added side doors to both pilot house bulwarks, and to the cockpit. The forward side doors will help with the times I single hand, while the cockpit side doors will be the main access to the boat, for the most part. We also added a set of cleats to the cockpit area.

More on the options to follow.

I didn't mention this before, and it is a standard on these boats, but the ability to step out to port or to starboard from the pilot house is an added advantage when going through locks. There are many locks with floating bollards on the inland river system. This also allows more capability in single handing locks. Unfortunately, our Carver had very narrow side decks, that would force the person tying to the bollard to bend at the waist and lean down, or to tie to the bollard from the cockpit and then move the line forward as the boat was eased up.

From a comfort perspective in light seas or at anchor, it will be nice to have the doors and windows open. As tough as the boat is, the ability to view your surroundings is a big plus for us.

We also like the wide steps to the fly bridge, and the higher than usual railings that Helmsman supplies. We look at this boat as our last rodeo with large boats, so safety as we age is important to be able to continue to use it. Safe access is important, particularly for those of us who are not getting any younger!

I agree. We wouldn't have a boat without a flybridge. We find ourselves spending a lot of time up there. Part of it is what we are used to. Part of it is the view.

Helmsman: I smiled as I read this. Mine will be a clone of yours for much the same reasoning. Except a white hull, and 380hp.

I have held off doing my own thread. Now if I do, it might just be "what he said." LOL

We went with the 380 Cummins, ice blue hull, arch rather than mast Going to add the NL genset. Standard propane cooktop and oven. Upgraded heating system and a few other small details. Am really enjoying this thread! June cannot get here soon enough.

Helmsman: I smiled as I read this. Mine will be a clone of yours for much the same reasoning. Except a white hull, and 380hp.

I have held off doing my own thread. Now if I do, it might just be "what he said." LOL

Hey FWT,

I am great with it being a common build thread. We can all learn from each other and from others who want to contribute.

My reasoning for starting it is to get feedback from all the experience on this forum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom