Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still hoping for more pictures of Mishy Jean. We learned today from Scott that the 43E headed to Norfolk passed our boat just outside of the Panama Canal on the Pacific side. They were going in opposite directions, which has to be a first. Our ship arrived in Golfito, Costa Rica early this morning.

Helmsman, can't wait to hear about your maiden voyage. What will be your itinerary? Yes, and more pics would be appreciated.

According to the AIS tracking on the Seamax Mystic our boat, Embark, will be arriving in Seattle in a week. It got held up for a few days due to weather. Wow, pinch me. Soon it'll be real.

Also, I hope to see some of you again and meet some of you at this year's Rendevous in May.

Jill and Tom

Helmsman, can't wait to hear about your maiden voyage. What will be your itinerary? Yes, and more pics would be appreciated.

According to the AIS tracking on the Seamax Mystic our boat, Embark, will be arriving in Seattle in a week. It got held up for a few days due to weather. Wow, pinch me. Soon it'll be real.

Also, I hope to see some of you again and meet some of you at this year's Rendevous in May.

Jill and Tom

That is good news. I think you will be really happy with it. Pics next week after detailing is completed.

Still hoping for more pictures of Mishy Jean. We learned today from Scott that the 43E headed to Norfolk passed our boat just outside of the Panama Canal on the Pacific side. They were going in opposite directions, which has to be a first. Our ship arrived in Golfito, Costa Rica early this morning.

On the move again! :) She will be home soon!

Fantastic news! Let us know how your Permanon application goes and the method you use. Sounds like you are getting lots of things addressed. We have our Permanon purchased. Now, just need our boat! Hopefully soon, as we are the next 38E to be completed. Nancy and Larry

Will do. We are in a covered slip and the temps will be fifties and sixties, so that will help!

Stern washdown

Hi, a question on stern washdown..

We have a hot/cold freshwater shower on the stern.

But we missed the option of having a washdown on the stern as well.

Coming from owning fishing boats, it's a must. I don't see fishing from the 38 but from the bullfrog.

I'm thinking of having a high pressure washdown on the stern for

1. 2-3 times a day, we take the dingy to shore in remote areas – for hikes, dog breaks
2. Wash off the dingy fish blood
3. Wash off crabbing, fishing gear coming back on board.
4. Wash off swim platform
5. Rinse off ding as it's craned up (practical?).

Use the shower for small stuff, fishing reels, tools, showers and a dog.

We can add a washdown at commissioning. If salt or fresh, or regular pressure of high pressure depends on whats easy to install.

What did everyone else doing, opinions?

Thanks, Tom

Ceramic +

I think most went DYI on ceramic which is great. I'm having a pro do it, but one of the options is 3M Scotchguard paint protection film and it is clear vinyl.

It's to protect the hull from abrasion at the locations of the fenders.

It's pretty much like the invisible bra on the grill of your car/truck.

I've had success with this on my truck (hood, folders and rocker panels, but I got a lecture from a detailer that showed the color difference between that and not filmed. Basically, I didn't wax the of the truck and the "bra side" was a deeper black, if you know how to see it in the sun.

So, any opinions on this? Anyone considering it?

I do know vinyl wraps with color has issues showing tears etc, but not sure if it applies here.

Anybody?

I didn’t get to the Permanon this week. We will head back to the boat this week, with that being our goal for the week. This past week was a few punch list items, and completion of the autopilot install.

Spending a few days on the boat was nice. We are getting used to where things are, and how different elements work. The boat is comfortable and easy to live on. The two HVAC’s on the boat have kept us very comfortable, even on a 25 degree morning two weeks ago. I was surprised to see that the temp in the hold by the engine was 50 degrees that morning. I wouldn’t count on that in an extended cold period, but the boat is very well insulated.

Leaving the boat today was the first time I felt like I understood the boat systems pretty well. Spending a lot of time in the hold will certainly teach you that! The marina we are staying at (Aqua Yacht Marina in Iuka Ms) has been a pleasant place for outfitting. The people there truly care about the quality of the work they do.

Still a lot to do, but we feel like we are turning the corner.

I think most went DYI on ceramic which is great. I'm having a pro do it, but one of the options is 3M Scotchguard paint protection film and it is clear vinyl.

It's to protect the hull from abrasion at the locations of the fenders.

It's pretty much like the invisible bra on the grill of your car/truck.

I've had success with this on my truck (hood, folders and rocker panels, but I got a lecture from a detailer that showed the color difference between that and not filmed. Basically, I didn't wax the of the truck and the "bra side" was a deeper black, if you know how to see it in the sun.

So, any opinions on this? Anyone considering it?

I do know vinyl wraps with color has issues showing tears etc, but not sure if it applies here.

Anybody?

I have not thought about a wrap. Like the thought, but don’t think that I would do it.

If you're going to do a clear wrap for abrasion protection, I'd probably want to do the whole hull below the deck joint. That avoids any fading concerns and covers the situation of moving fenders around for different docking (or locking) situations.

Well, yesterday the name was applied so I guess we are official! We appreciate all the ideas and pictures of different styles for the script. We are very heppy with the way this turned out.

It is easily legible, and fits with the color scheme. The name comes from both of our mothers’ names.

Attachments

• F4EA0572-BCD3-4C53-9B17-28BB338FD0F9.jpeg
    F4EA0572-BCD3-4C53-9B17-28BB338FD0F9.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
I have had a couple of questions about using a Pepwave router on board. We have a BR1 5G, and it has worked well since receiving the boat. Yesterday I moved the router up under the flybridge cabinet. It sits on the flat shelf above other electrical gear with an unmanaged switch for wired internet connectivity.

I also placed a Pepwave 42G antenna under the FB cowling just underneath the fiberglass shell above everything else. It works well there, better than I expected. And…no holes through exposed decking. Both are connected to the DC Communications breaker I installed and remain powered on through appropriate fusing.

I bought the Pepwave prior to Starlink coming out, and it handles the Starlink well in tests at home.I will use the Starlink while underway on our trip up the Tennessee and will report back as to how it performs.

The single biggest advantage to the Pepwave is a single network on the boat, that all equipment ties to with the ability to access marina WiFi, Starlink, and cellular. I have not purchased a cellular SIM card, since I opted for the Starlink flat panel for connectivity, but that capability is there. So, we receive internet through marina WiFi here, will have Starlink underway, and a phone hotspot, which the Pepwave manages without my interaction once the hierarchy is set. Of course new WiFi at different marinas require a login, but that is minimal. All of this happens without any of the connected equipment on board noticing.

The Pepwave also has the advantage of working directly with the Starlink, so it takes the place of the Starlink router. I will need to add a 120 volt outlet under the helm for the Starlink power block, but won’t do that until I determine the best place for the Starlink antenna on the boat. (I am leaning towards the arch, but the antenna is large, and will probably be replaced by a smaller one in the future. So anything I do will need to be on a standard antenna mount, I think.

One thing for future buyers of a helmsman to consider is to option an additional under FB outlet. One other option I missed would be to add hatch access to the underside of the top of the arch on the starboard and port sides. The boat comes with a hatch access on the underside of the arch in the middle.

Well, yesterday the name was applied so I guess we are official! We appreciate all the ideas and pictures of different styles for the script. We are very heppy with the way this turned out.

That’s a beautiful sight. Keep the pictures coming. We’re still “have nots” until next Thursday.

Any surprises, pleasant or otherwise?

That’s a beautiful sight. Keep the pictures coming. We’re still “have nots” until next Thursday.

Any surprises, pleasant or otherwise?

Was getting ready to ask for an update on Alba Bella. Sounds like one week away and she will be in your hands! That is awesome to hear. I am really happy for you and Patti. I know it has been a long journey, with the Pandemic slowing things, and the mix up with our two boats.

No real surprises yet. We have worked through most of the punch list, with Van taking the lead. He has done an excellent job resolving them, keeping me up to speed, explaining and sometimes re-explaining when I have questions. I think you will be very happy with the responsiveness and the concern of the Helmsman team in making sure that the boat is top notch. The people there are the real asset, at least in my assessment of the company.

The marina here in Iuka Ms, have been very responsive, too. The marina is Aqua Yacht, and if any of you east coast guys make a trip up the Tombigbee from the gulf to the Tennessee River, they are a great resource and easy to work with. Experienced and professional in their approach. They have excellent marine service here.

I think if I were to say I had a surprise, it is the general feeling you get on this boat that things are extremely well thought out. You know that based upon other owner comments, but it kind of hits you as you work your way around the boat. As many do, I read discussions from owners of older versions of the 38, and it seems that almost everything that is brought up, has been addressed in more recent vintages. I am sure that over the coming years, as new boats are produced, there will be changes that we might find would improve our boats, but sitting here now, I just can’t imagine what.

Perhaps we will see some changes in the electrical systems and the electronics, due to the accelerating changes we see in the marine pleasure boat market in that particular discipline. Those would be relatively easy to “keep up with” if we so desire, I guess.

Helmsman43 received his boat this week in Virginia. He and I have talked and he has echoed some of my comments. His 43 is custom with one state room. He has a WD in the master head, and there is more room in there and the shower than the traditional 43E. I will be up there in a couple of weeks and am looking forward to seeing the layout. The pictures he has sent me are really neat.

He stayed on my boat for four days, slept on the settee in the salon, and that arrangement worked great. It really becomes two separate areas for sleeping, and works well for that.

One thing I might suggest to all owners is to “move in slow”. There will always be a punch list on a new boat, and tradesmen will need to be aboard to address them. While most of that will happen during the orientation period, there may be parts that need ordering, and work scheduled. We “slowed our roll” to accommodate that, and I am glad we did. But, due to that, my bride won’t allow pictures until we get the interior where she wants it.

I had to put off the ceramic, and have contracted with a highly respected detailer at our next port to get her ready for it. I thought I would be able to get that done earlier, while I am here at AY, but the electronics install has taken up more time than I thought it would. Surprise, surprise!

A question for 38e owners: where have you placed your fire extinguishers? I put one under the kitchen sink. I have two more. Can get more, but would like feedback from others.

Fire extinguishers

A question for 38e owners: where have you placed your fire extinguishers? I put one under the kitchen sink. I have two more. Can get more, but would like feedback from others.

In addition to the one in the galley, one in the master stateroom, and one in the cabinet on the starboard side of the salon (aft of the galley).

In addition to the one in the galley, one in the master stateroom, and one in the cabinet on the starboard side of the salon (aft of the galley).

Anyone putting one down in the engine room?

Anyone putting one down in the engine room?

Unless it's a fixed mount system I wouldn't put an extinguisher in the engine room (save for a large, walk in engine room). But it's a good idea to have one close to the engine hatch.

When we had our boat surveyed the surveyor pointed out that the extinguishers should be in easily accessible spots and be visible so that a visitor can find them if there is a fire (he was not mollified by our routine of pointing out pfd’s and extinguishers to visitors when they board). Meaning mount them outside of a cabinet (ugly). Also, although not required, he suggested one in the cabin, one in the stateroom, one in the pilot house and one on the flybridge for that inevitable barbecue fire. We are still debating how to make these as least ugly as possible. They clash with the gorgeous Helmsman interior. For the pilothouse, there is that nice space on the starboard side of the helm seat. We mounted it flat there. Easy to grab when piloting the boat and next to a door that gives you 360 access to the topsides.

And he reminded that there is no more terrifying emergency on a boat than a fire.

Spare parts for the 38 - extended cruising

I believe a while back folks were working on the operational checklist.

Has anyone developed a spares list for extended cruising for the Helmsman 38?

Thanks, Tom

Spares and more

I believe a while back folks were working on the operational checklist.

Has anyone developed a spares list for extended cruising for the Helmsman 38?

Thanks, Tom

MV Kiskadee spares list for recent SE Alaska cruise.
-Hull and prop shaft anodes
-Thruster anodes
-Thruster shear pins
-Pencil anodes for heat exchangers and transmission
-Gulper or shower water sump pump
-Water pump
-Macerator pump
-Serpentine engine belt
-Water pump impeller
-Engine oil filter
-Engine fuel filter
-Racor fuel filters
-Engine oil filter genset
-Transmission oil filter
-Bilge pump
-Engine oil
-Transmission fluid
-Engine coolant
-Various thread seal compounds and lubricants
-Various amp rated 2 pin auto fuses
-Various stainless-steel clamps
-Assorted plastic zip ties
-Two 5 gallon plastic containers for waste oil when changing oil with Reverso.
-One gallon diesel for filling receptacles after installing new Racor filters.
-Shore power cord replacement ends
-Spare shore power cord
-50 amp, 20 amp to 30 amp adapters.
-Various sizes of batteries for flashlights and remotes
-RV water filter
-Water hoses
Pretty basic list, and probably missing some items.

Thanks for the list!!

As for extinguishers.

For those who don’t want units hanging in the various areas, and aside from the normal 3 marinier 110s, has anyone considered the Element E50 portables?

https://www.duluthtrading.com/element-e50-fire-extinguisher-15119.html?srccode=BPSMART&ogmap=PLA%7CNB%7CBING%7C%7C%7C%7C%7CBing%20Shopping%20-%20Prospect%20-%20Smart_Out_Region%7CAd%20group%7C%7C396571661%7C1257841876478574&msclkid=57ba26d97bcc1facf7c8452ae908f86b

Element E50 Portable Fire Extinguisher Features:
• 50 second discharge – More than 4x longer than a 5lb fire bottle
• Compact and easy to use
• Makes no mess and leaves no residue
• Clean and eco friendly
• Zero thrust discharge
• Safe and maintenance free
• Weather proof and unaffected by extreme temperatures
• Safe to store in wet environments
• Fights all major fire classes: A,B,C, & K

Hi Nate,

Update on Embark. It been a joy to work with Scott, Gary and Van this past week swim platforms, through holes, system hookups.. as well as Eddies team on commissioning the electronics.

Working on Embark for a week, the electronics should be done by Monday and the mechanicals (crane, davits, etc) will be done next week. Opted to install a salt and fresh water washdown on the stern as well as hand rails to grab talking in on stern. We will figure out the washdowns before the vessel leaves.

I did setup the Starlink RV system and it screams (even in congested downtown Seattle). It'd be great to really know if this is a long term solution so I can decide where to do the final install. I've heard some have put the antenna in the dingy (flybridge) covered it and it works. My obsession is to plug and play with my camper, so I want to buy an extra set of cables and walk away with the dish and modem to go to baja for 4 months in a camper.
Back home for a few days - I didn't look to see how easy/practical to drop the arch and grab the antenna. thoughts on that?

I'm asking Scott to get an estimate for a 120v placement inside the flybridge so that the starlink router can be stored there,

Comments, have you figured out where your installing?

You mentioned above: One thing for future buyers of a helmsman to consider is to option an additional under FB outlet

Do you mean an additional outlets inside the flybridge?

Back
Top Bottom