Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not sure of the colour code but i refer to it as hunter green.
I was asked for photos of our upper deck. Here they are. We took the rear Bimini cover off to wash it, so your looking at the frame.
Barrie

Nice! Other than the mast (we have an arch), that is the way our deck is set up. A lot of room for family and friends.

Last edited:
Not sure of the colour code but i refer to it as hunter green.

Barrie

Thank you. There's no 'Hunter Green' in the RAL color codes, might be close to RAL 6005 'Moss Green'. It sure looks nice!

Helmsman Trawlers 2022 Rendezvous

Even though we had to take the big green ferry and not our Helmsman 38E, “Alba Bella”, to the event, we are so glad we attended the 2022 Helmsman Trawlers Rendezvous in Port Townsend, Washington. The event was well attended by Helmsman owners and Helmsman buyers waiting for delivery, the “haves” and the “have nots”, as Scott Helker so appropriately named them. We were happy to finally meet Trawler Forum friends and to get better acquainted with those we already knew. There were 38Es, 43Es, 37 Sedans and one 31 Sedan. A pristine Mariner 37 Seville joined the gathering of trawlers.

The weather was perfect for the event that coincided with the Port Townsend Rhododendron Festival. The event kicked off with a welcoming event followed by happy hour and a catered dinner with live music. Scott Helker gave an update on supply chain issues and the latest developments of the Helmsman line. We all introduced ourselves and our boats.

The following day featured a “trawler crawl” where the Helmsman owners present opened their boats for tours and envious inspection. We were amazed at how the quality of the boats of every vintage was apparent even after years of use. Hearing how happy the Helmsman owners are with their boats and how well they have been treated by the entire Helmsman team makes it easier for us to endure waiting our turn to be “haves” instead of “have nots”.

Instead of waking up on our own comfortable boat and joining the group for a farewell breakfast, we have to catch the only available ferry back to Coupeville.

Even though we had to take the big green ferry and not our Helmsman 38E, “Alba Bella”, to the event, we are so glad we attended the 2022 Helmsman Trawlers Rendezvous in Port Townsend, Washington. The event was well attended by Helmsman owners and Helmsman buyers waiting for delivery, the “haves” and the “have nots”, as Scott Helker so appropriately named them. We were happy to finally meet Trawler Forum friends and to get better acquainted with those we already knew. There were 38Es, 43Es, 37 Sedans and one 31 Sedan. A pristine Mariner 37 Seville joined the gathering of trawlers.

The weather was perfect for the event that coincided with the Port Townsend Rhododendron Festival. The event kicked off with a welcoming event followed by happy hour and a catered dinner with live music. Scott Helker gave an update on supply chain issues and the latest developments of the Helmsman line. We all introduced ourselves and our boats.

The following day featured a “trawler crawl” where the Helmsman owners present opened their boats for tours and envious inspection. We were amazed at how the quality of the boats of every vintage was apparent even after years of use. Hearing how happy the Helmsman owners are with their boats and how well they have been treated by the entire Helmsman team makes it easier for us to endure waiting our turn to be “haves” instead of “have nots”.

Instead of waking up on our own comfortable boat and joining the group for a farewell breakfast, we have to catch the only available ferry back to Coupeville.

It was great to finally meet you! Can’t wait to see your boat when it arrives! Fun weekend and made many new friends!!! Can’t wait for next year when many of us will have our new boats!

Doug:

Thanks for that report. It is much appreciated since I could not attend.

"Scott Helker gave an update on supply chain issues and the latest developments of the Helmsman line. "

If either you or Nancy N Larry have more info on that to share for public consumption I'd be interested to hear it.

And I hope that from the boat crawl you picked up some good ideas on how to set things up on your own boat.

Sorry I missed it. Just couldn’t make it work this year, but plan to try to be there next. I, too, would like to hear about any interesting ideas or thoughts for for the boats from the folks that attended.

Thanks Doug for your news. Sorry we could not attend. If you have any pictures would be great to see. Are the pictures on the Helmsman web site from this year?
Barrie

Thanks for sharing the pics

Thanks Doug. That was fun to look through. I bet it was an enjoyable event. And got to meet some future cruising buddies.

We are still in our camper peering down at the now empty docks.. It was a great rendezvous.

And we are still one of the have-nots.

Our vessel is now scheduled for Sept, so were packed for the Yukon, and Dempster Highway for the summer leaving in the morning..

In the meantime, I tried to find a consensus on Ceramic Coating. I didnt see any direction on where people were going.. I didnt confirm with Scott, but I don't believe the boat is waxed when it comes in, and any rate should I get a ceramic coating done after arrival?.. I saw pics on a Pretty Ranger from Rick, did anyone else have this done? It's a significant investment.

Thanks, Tom

We are still in our camper peering down at the now empty docks.. It was a great rendezvous.

Our vessel is now scheduled for Sept, so were packed for the Yukon, and Dempster Highway for the summer leaving in the morning..

In the meantime, I tried to find a consensus on Ceramic Coating. I didnt see any direction on where people were going.. I didnt confirm with Scott, but I don't believe the boat is waxed when it comes in, and any rate should I get a ceramic coating done after arrival?.. I saw pics on a Pretty Ranger from Rick, did anyone else have this done? It's a significant investment.

Thanks, Tom

Tom, Jill, Lilly
We have also struggled with the idea of ceramic coating. We have several boater friends that have it and love it. I also have friends who swear by Collinite wax. Additionally a fiber glass expert told me that he thought it made the surface too hard and encouraged spidering of the gel coat.

What we have decided to do is go with a good wax job initially and see how that goes. Can always have ceramic latter on though it can be hard to go from Ceramic back to wax. It’s a tough decision and one I don’t really have any answers for since we have struggled with the decision as well.

Would be interested if you have any additional info. Thanks!

"What we have decided to do is go with a good wax job initially and see how that goes. Can always have ceramic latter on though it can be hard to go from Ceramic back to wax. It’s a tough decision and one I don’t really have any answers for since we have struggled with the decision as well."

For me, this nails it.

I am a big believer in some old wisdom: don't be in a hurry to do what can't be undone.

Are the hulls painted or colored gelcoat?

For when the job-jar gets empty the stern of the 38 makes for a great hidey-hole. :)

Attachments

• hammock.jpeg
    hammock.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 17
The hull is gel coated. It comes unwaxed from the factory.

I have been corresponding with a looper. He has a 1990’s boat and had his boat ceramic coated last spring. His treatment involved stripping it down, polishing, and then coating. He has had the ceramic coating for a year now. His travel path has been down the Tennessee, TomBigBee, through the gulf, and he is now transiting the east coast.

His latest update is that the boat looks great. When he details the boat, there is a process in which he uses the recommended soap, and a ceramic re-coating occurs. This re-coating is not the same as the original application. He is extremely pleased with it. His biggest issue is that detailers don’t understand it, and when he employs one, he has to ensure they know what they are doing.

Besides the boat’s like new condition, he stated that cleaning the boat is much easier with the ceramic than before,

It would be good to know who made the claim about the cracking gel coat for follow up. That is the first time I have heard that, and would like to research it further.

Last edited:

Thanks, Tom

Tom, A lot of the cost for ceramic coating is the prep. Since the prep is minimal on an unwaxed new boat, the total cost can certainly be negotiated. I intend to do my own application the first time. Just one of those things I can manage and limit the variability of service results. May change my mind if there is a highly thought of detailer wherever the boat is dropped. It does have to be applied out of direct sunlight, which may create an issue on the gulf coast.

And the boat may be dropped during full hurricane season, which is another variable that may necessitate getting it off of the gulf quickly, for insurance purposes, or safety. All variables to deal with!

Last edited:
Hooray.

I received the welcomed email with progress pictures. Its official. My boat build has begun. It has flipped from theory to reality.

:)

I have an as yet unopened gift bottle of single malt in a flavor new to me I was waiting until the weekend to sample. Its just possible it will be opened tonight, and toasts made to Helmsman.

Hooray.

I received the welcomed email with progress pictures. Its official. My boat build has begun. It has flipped from theory to reality.

I have an as yet unopened gift bottle of single malt in a flavor new to me I was waiting until the weekend to sample. Its just possible it will be opened tonight, and toasts made to Helmsman.

Congratulations. You’re in for many exciting days watching your boat come together. They just keep better and better. Today we saw all the interior woodwork masked for varnishing. It doesn’t seem like that long ago when they started laying up the hull. Save some of that single malt.

Thanks Doug

Hooray.

That is great to hear! It is a lot of fun to watch it come together. I have been saving ours each week, to develop an album to keep, like Doug is doing with his.

Great idea.

Hooray.

I just gets better :thumb:

I am inquiring to get a Ceramtic Quote done for the 38. Plus getting some references.
If you outsource all of the work, my guess is Ceramic will pay for itself. Not sure I have time to break my back buffing/waxing her twice a year. Stay tuned for that.

After reviewing and getting pinged by Musk's marketing folks, I Starlink's marine version is way too far out to make it feasible. They have a RV/Boat version now downgraded and ready to go - but no real mobile solution other than a dish that you have to store and place on a dock. The system currently shuts down if a wave hits your boat let alone swing on an anchor. So I am heading to purchase Iridium go + Predictwind.

I don't have a network solution yet other than Tmobile and use the phone as a hotspot.
I need to go way back and see where the opinions ended up months ago.

If interested here are a few links on these topics.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/guides/starlink-rv-boat/
https://www.iridium.com/products/iridium-go/

I'd be curious to hear what they quote. I know that a professional ceramic coat for a car is pretty pricey and nowhere near the surface area of your hull. However, if it's new untreated gelcoat, perhaps there is less prep work needed. I'm still guessing it's costly. But if you are willing to pay for that, why not also pay someone to wax and buff and then compare the cost.

I'd be curious to hear what they quote. I know that a professional ceramic coat for a car is pretty pricey and nowhere near the surface area of your hull. However, if it's new untreated gelcoat, perhaps there is less prep work needed. I'm still guessing it's costly. But if you are willing to pay for that, why not also pay someone to wax and buff and then compare the cost.

I studied how the application works. My estimate is that about 75% of a ceramic coating labor cost is in the prep work for the old gel coat.

Since we have new gel coat, and the application is to spray on and then wipe into the gel coat until dry (about 30 seconds) it will be like doing your own wax job, the first time. No real magic to it. Of course, a good cleaning with the recommended soap will be critical, you need to avoid sun for 12 hours, and there will be some areas that may be a little difficult to get to.

I plan to do my own, which should take a couple of days if I can work it out. We will see.

Back
Top Bottom