Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, Sharked. FWT answered, and it is personal preference. I happen to like the lines of the boat better with the arch and is why I brought it up. In addition to the space it provides, you can spread instruments across it, which can help with the recommended spacing guidelines from electronics vendors. Not a major deal, but certainly a consideration.

Do you know if the if the pricing is the same for arch vs mast?

Do you know if the if the pricing is the same for arch vs mast?

We generally don't talk about price on these. I will this time because I doubt Helmsman (the company) would mind.

No difference at all in the price of that choice.

I am really responding to this to make a larger point.

Scott Helker at Helmsman has said that quite a number of the people who have ordered his boats began conversations about it years in advance. You obviously have serious interest in the boat. The one thing I would urge you to consider is to simply reach out to Scott at Helmsman, and ask the questions you may have. I think you will be as pleased as the rest of us with the promptness of the response, and general professionalism. Seriously, don't hesitate.

Feel free to ask away here on the site on any other questions. If it is a question best asked offline, just PM me or the others. Happy to help.

We generally don't talk about price on these. I will this time because I doubt Helmsman (the company) would mind.

No difference at all in the price of that choice.

I am really responding to this to make a larger point.

Scott Helker at Helmsman has said that quite a number of the people who have ordered his boats began conversations about it years in advance. You obviously have serious interest in the boat. The one thing I would urge you to consider is to simply reach out to Scott at Helmsman, and ask the questions you may have. I think you will be as pleased as the rest of us with the promptness of the response, and general professionalism. Seriously, don't hesitate.

Feel free to ask away here on the site on any other questions. If it is a question best asked offline, just PM me or the others. Happy to help.

I have already reached out to Helmsman, and I received a very quick response from Scott himself, which was a pleasant surprise.

I just didn't want to bother him with so many pre-sale questions just yet, as I am at least 12 months away from being able to order and place my deposit.

Once traveling is a bit easier, I intend to make the trip out to Seattle and meet him in person.

Good plan.

And again, we are here to help. You will have noticed we other buyers have shared a lot of notes here on how we decided to spec the boat and why. I got some good ideas and food for thought from the others. Any questions you might have will likely cause me to think more, too.

Welcome to the group!

Congrats to everyone! These look like such great boats and a great sharing community. I’m jealous!

I wish they could just extend the 38 or 43 to give another 3 plus feet covered on the rear deck for lounging…and better tender storage with crane for a 12’ or 13’ tender! Always something.

I have already reached out to Helmsman, and I received a very quick response from Scott himself, which was a pleasant surprise.

I just didn't want to bother him with so many pre-sale questions just yet, as I am at least 12 months away from being able to order and place my deposit.

Once traveling is a bit easier, I intend to make the trip out to Seattle and meet him in person.

But isn't bothering him the way you really get to know him, the company, and the boat? Don't bother if not serious, but, if serious, then ask and make notes so that as time gets closer you've narrowed your remaining questions. Just be honest and tell him how far away you are.

Congrats to everyone! These look like such great boats and a great sharing community. I’m jealous!

I wish they could just extend the 38 or 43 to give another 3 plus feet covered on the rear deck for lounging…and better tender storage with crane for a 12’ or 13’ tender! Always something.

Well, half of that is easy. You can option a davit crane to put the dingy up top. The beam of the boat isn't going to let you go to 13' tender but 10 or 11 works. Many do. I'm getting a davit crane for my boat. The dingy has not yet been selected.

As for more cockpit space, the 43 has a bigger one than the 38. No shock there. Really the outdoor living space is up top on the flybridge. I'd want one or the other, but don't feel I need both. So less cockpit and more cabin space was a good tradeoff for me, given the flybridge.

By comparison, take a look at the Nordhavn 41. Not really much outdoor living space. Cockpit the size of the H38 or perhaps a wee bit bigger, and no flybridge.

Tradeoffs I guess.

I have been on both boats. The 43 cockpit is sizable and would compete with any boat in that size range. The 38 is smaller. There is also the option to put a wider transom opening on the back. Actually looks pretty nice. Thevtradepfcnisvtte larger salon.

I have been on both boats. The 43 cockpit is sizable and would compete with any boat in that size range. The 38 is smaller. There is also the option to put a wider transom opening on the back. Actually looks pretty nice. Thevtradepfcnisvtte larger salon.

Problem is I love the size of the aft cockpit on mine so I just wish the helmsman was bigger there. Not inside. I’ll check one out in person soon. I’m a big fan.

Last edited:
Problem is I love the size of the aft cockpit on my 55’, so I just wish the helmsman was bigger there. Not inside. I’ll check one out in person soon.

A 46 model is due out soon.

Kind of mangled trade off there :)

Just as an example we had an all time record breaking last week of June in 2021, we thought we would die during that 4 day period ;)

Check out the 25th through 28th. Normally we get the first 80F day on the 4th of July and it is back in the 70F degree range in a few days. If this is what the future brings then you will see people buying A/C and generators on their boats up here.

As an aside not related to boating it is fun watching the big box stores when those few 80F days occur every year as people flock to them to buy window A/C units (some even go across state lines to bring back units for their neighbors ;) )

We typically have no cooling but use diesel for heating, cooking and hot water.

Wifey B: Oh it was several degrees cooler in Fort Lauderdale on those days, although we weren't home. :lol:

Are any of the Helmsmans fit for voyaging the Pacific Ocean?

The sinks in the heads have no counter space from what I've seen in pictures. Is this no longer true?

Are any of the Helmsmans fit for voyaging the Pacific Ocean?

The sinks in the heads have no counter space from what I've seen in pictures. Is this no longer true?

Good question. You can look at the Helmsman site under each model for their layout.

Helmsman has a. 46 Pilothouse designed for a CE Class A Rating.

https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/helmsman-trawlers/46-pilothouse/

The day head sink is smaller, but getting a second head on a boat the size of the 38E is unusual and something we really liked about the boat. We looked at that for what it is. We will occasionally (maybe 5% of the time?) have overnight guests on board, family or close friends. They will use that head and the convertible settee, and we will have them use the separate shower in the master. There is room in the day head for a small movable stand/table if a person would want that. The area in the day head in front of the ER access by the sink would work for that. Of course, that head will also be used by day guests.

The sink area in the master is no smaller than the 38 foot carver we traveled in for four years, and there is actually more storage available.

All boats will have trade offs.

I really like the 38 layout. It’s really well done. I prefer it I think to the bigger ones for two. If they add a bustle or something and extend the aft deck another 3’ and cover it so the boat deck is longer and I have shade, it would be perfect for a use I have and would sign up! As you said, always a compromise.

There is room in the day head for a small movable stand/table if a person would want that. The area in the day head in front of the ER access by the sink would work for that. Of course, that head will also be used by day guests.

It looks like there is room forward of the day head sink for a fold-down counter that could be easily stowed in the up position for easy access to the ER. It would be hinged from the starboard bulkhead and the port edge would be supported by the ledge extending forward from the sink basin.

It looks like there is room forward of the day head sink for a fold-down counter that could be easily stowed in the up position for easy access to the ER. It would be hinged from the starboard bulkhead and the port edge would be supported by the ledge extending forward from the sink basin.

That would be an even better solution.

Things have been kind of quiet on this thread. Chinese New Year seems to have caused a lapse in progress photos on our build. We did go down to Seattle to look at the 38E that recently arrived via B.C. It’s another great looking boat and a very busy place with three new boats being commissioned at the same time.

We have been thinking about adding a Reverso fluid change system for the engine, transmission and generator. Scott seemed to think it wasn’t necessary but, after watching several YouTube videos on boats with similar systems, it looks like it would be a good investment.

Does anyone have a similar system on their 38E or plan to get one. Without it, how difficult are fluid changes? Is it best installed in the yard or as a commissioning item?

I don’t have my helmsman yet. 15 months to go. But I do have a reverso on my beneteau swift and it is a must have for me. Makes changing transmission, engine oil and gen oil an absolute breeze. My helmsman is ordered with one as well.

Things have been kind of quiet on this thread. Chinese New Year seems to have caused a lapse in progress photos on our build. We did go down to Seattle to look at the 38E that recently arrived via B.C. It’s another great looking boat and a very busy place with three new boats being commissioned at the same time.

We have been thinking about adding a Reverso fluid change system for the engine, transmission and generator. Scott seemed to think it wasn’t necessary but, after watching several YouTube videos on boats with similar systems, it looks like it would be a good investment.

Does anyone have a similar system on their 38E or plan to get one. Without it, how difficult are fluid changes? Is it best installed in the yard or as a commissioning item?

Doug: Following. On my mind as well.

Doug, I guess to not be quite so quick and vague with an answers, I am leaning to NOT getting a Reverso system, and just get a pump and jug and, and drain through the dipstick.

Doug,

I agree with you. It is quiet. I think the team is rolling along delivering boats. I thought about a Reverso, also. I decided against it. One can always be added later, and I am used to changing my own oil with a pump. It will be quite a bit more oil than my Crusaders, and I may wish I had one when I change the oil. :) Changing the transmission fluid is pretty quick and easy, whether you have a reverso or not. The generator has plenty of room around it, so I don’t anticipate that being a major deal either. So, for me, installing a reverso would really only benefit me only for the engine, I think. The decision to install comes down to personal preference. The people that have them, swear by them.

I asked Scott for and received some measurements for the light standard on the arch. I certainly appreciate him taking the time to do that, particularly as busy as they have been the last couple of weeks. The willingness to help, and the attention to detail he and his team exhibit all the time any time is unusual in any industry, but is really a different experience for me with boats. Due to home port height considerations I am limited to 18 feet, and want to place radar, and SCX20 satellite compass, and a GPS up there. The radar will be the lowest, then the other two on each side and slightly above and aft of the radar. I won’t bore you with the details, but it is close and will require some more thought on my part. I would really like to keep it to around 17 feet.

We aren’t getting the wood blinds. My wife wants to have balloon shades, so we are starting to work through exactly what those will look like. Gary Buck spent some time getting us the measurements which I really appreciate.

I finished ordering the electronics pieces today. Now, I need to order NMEA2000 cabling and wiring for the circuits for them. Will work on that next week.

We have made the decision to have a local canvas guy up here on the Tennessee River do the canvas work. He did some work on our previous boat and we were very pleased with it. We are lucky to have him on board. We will have a Bimini, PH forward windows screens, a screen for the flybridge rail, and cover for the FB helm, seats, and fridge/grill combo up there. His price was very reasonable. That leaves me with no cover up there for the trip back to Tennessee from the gulf. I think I will wait to put the MFD on the Flybridge until we get the canvas. I will just use a tablet when running the boat from up there until then. My installer did state he no longer uses Sunbrella, and that Sunbrella doesn’t say that their canvas is for marine use anymore. He had some problems with Sunbrella after a process change Sunbrella initiated, where he was getting canvas leaks on new installs. I don’t remember the material but will post it when I go to pick colors.

Soon we will be on to outfitting the boat. Will need to put some thought into that. One thing I haven’t settled on is dinghy Davits. As mentioned before, we won’t be putting the dinghy up top, so we will need to work out the dinghy. It may be just towing it for the trip upriver.

I will try to be a little more diligent in posting progress. Had a couple of health issues pop up in the last month that occupied my time, but past that now.

Thanks for the update. Scott correctly commented that the amortization for a Reverso system would be a long time given the infrequent use. I’m not crazy about hand pumping the fluids out. Jabsco makes a 12 volt portable extractor with a 3.5 gallon oil container. It connects to DC power with aligator clips. It would be nice to have conveniently located 12 volt outlets and a 12 volt plug on the extractor. I appreciate that Scott is not anxious for us to spend money on things we don’t need.

We’re going with snap davits on the swim step for the dinghy and using boat deck hoist for toys like our bikes and Hobie kayaks. We have just about settled on a 10’ Highfield inflatable.

What port will your boat be offloaded to? Bringing her home sounds like quite a trip. Another Helmsman adventure. I hope you’ll post on your journey. Glad you’re feeling better.

My installer did state he no longer uses Sunbrella, and that Sunbrella doesn’t say that their canvas is for marine use anymore. He had some problems with Sunbrella after a process change Sunbrella initiated, where he was getting canvas leaks on new installs. I don’t remember the material but will post it when I go to pick colors.

Had a couple of health issues pop up in the last month that occupied my time, but past that now.

That canvas detail is good intel. Thanks for that.

But hey, sorry to hear about the health but glad its better

Thanks for the update. Scott correctly commented that the amortization for a Reverso system would be a long time given the infrequent use. I’m not crazy about hand pumping the fluids out. Jabsco makes a 12 volt portable extractor with a 3.5 gallon oil container. It connects to DC power with aligator clips. It would be nice to have conveniently located 12 volt outlets and a 12 volt plug on the extractor. I appreciate that Scott is not anxious for us to spend money on things we don’t need.

Doug, I looked it up today. The QSB takes 4 gallons of oil, filled to the brim including oil in the filter. I too was looking at the various 3.5 gal buckets with pumps but now doubt that will work. Will be looking for an independent pump to hose it into a 5 gal jug.

I also noticed Cummins has changed the change frequency. It used to be 200 or 250 hours. Now 500 hours or annually.

We’re going with snap davits on the swim step for the dinghy and using boat deck hoist for toys like our bikes and Hobie kayaks. We have just about settled on a 10’ Highfield inflatable.

What port will your boat be offloaded to? Bringing her home sounds like quite a trip. Another Helmsman adventure. I hope you’ll post on your journey. Glad you’re feeling better.

I use a pump and container unit I got at West Marine. Works really well but takes a long time to empty the engine. Hopefully it will work for us.
I need to look at the snap Davits. If you have a link, I would appreciate it.

The plan is Mobile, but Scott suggested staying flexible with the plans. Wherever it ends up will ok. I don’t particularly want to be on the gulf coast in hurricane season (June 1st) but should be able to be upriver some by then. And, we certainly plan to post some. The plan is to keep rolling once the boat gets the canvas. May try to make it through the Great Lakes and over near FWT’s stomping grounds in Delaware to put her up for the winter, if the timing works. Then start south in the spring. We will see!

Last edited:
That canvas detail is good intel. Thanks for that.

But hey, sorry to hear about the health but glad its better

Doing ok now. I had an incarcerated hernia, which means the muscle wrapped around my gut and started squeezing. Pretty darn painful, but they did emergency surgery because of the concern for permanent damage. I was almost recovered from that and ended up with a stress test identifying a problem, which led to a heart cath, which ascertained 50% blockage in one artery. Everything else was fine, so they chose not to stent it. We will treat it with medicine, diet and exercise. The exercise part I have down. I run 9 to 15 miles a week and lift weights daily. Could be worse, but was a little nerve wracking coming off the surprise hernia event. And, of course, because I study everything it took me off the path of discussing and learning about the boat.

Thanks for the update. Scott correctly commented that the amortization for a Reverso system would be a long time given the infrequent use. .

Oh my.....amortization? Did you inform Scott that the amortization on a boat regardless of use never pays for itself? Seriously, Reverso isn't a financial decision. It's a comfort and work ease decision. I think Scott is the best, but this logic doesn't make it.

Oh my.....amortization? Did you inform Scott that the amortization on a boat regardless of use never pays for itself? Seriously, Reverso isn't a financial decision. It's a comfort and work ease decision. I think Scott is the best, but this logic doesn't make it.

I agree. I would install the Reverso. Those vacuum oil extractor pumps are great for small quantities of warm oil. But when the oil is cooler and you have 5 gal to remove, it will take forever. The only exception I can think of is if the dip stick is a large pipe opening, not just the typical tube and wire tape. Then at least you could use a larger extraction tube.

Also, the vacuum extractors I've seen are maybe 6 liters, so you will be extracting, pausing, pouring the extractor contents into an empty 5 gal pail, then repeat a few more times. With an oil transfer pump (reverso or other) you just transfer straight into the 5 gal pail.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom