Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-26-2021, 09:29 PM   #121
Veteran Member
 
City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 28
We understand that our new boat will come with 3 lines and 3 fenders so we plan to buy at least 3 more of each before we take delivery. We plan to find out the size and color of both so we can match them.
PattiS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 06:41 PM   #122
Member
 
City: Port Townsend
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 5
New Members Here...

Nancy and I (Rick) signed a contract for a Helmsman 38e this past Friday. We are expecting a Sept./Oct. 2022 delivery. Boat construction should begin about April 2022.

We are located in Port Townsend, WA and expect to spend 5 or 6 months a year cruising the San Juan Islands, Canadian Gulf Islands, Inside Passage and South East Alaska.

We would be very interested in any pictures of boats under construction and in hearing the reasons why others have made the decisions they did on their boats.

Rick

**Hull number 56
PT Bay Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:33 PM   #123
FWT
Guru
 
City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Bay Watcher View Post
Nancy and I (Rick) signed a contract for a Helmsman 38e this past Friday. We are expecting a Sept./Oct. 2022 delivery. Boat construction should begin about April 2022.

We are located in Port Townsend, WA and expect to spend 5 or 6 months a year cruising the San Juan Islands, Canadian Gulf Islands, Inside Passage and South East Alaska.

We would be very interested in any pictures of boats under construction and in hearing the reasons why others have made the decisions they did on their boats.

Rick

**Hull number 56
Congratulations. Lots of reasons cited above, but if you have any questions, ask away.
FWT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 09:50 PM   #124
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Bay Watcher View Post
Nancy and I (Rick) signed a contract for a Helmsman 38e this past Friday. We are expecting a Sept./Oct. 2022 delivery. Boat construction should begin about April 2022.

We are located in Port Townsend, WA and expect to spend 5 or 6 months a year cruising the San Juan Islands, Canadian Gulf Islands, Inside Passage and South East Alaska.

We would be very interested in any pictures of boats under construction and in hearing the reasons why others have made the decisions they did on their boats.

Rick

**Hull number 56
Welcome aboard! What options did you guys select? Several of us have listed options in earlier posts. It would be great to hear your approach when you get some time.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:23 PM   #125
Member
 
City: Port Townsend
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Welcome aboard! What options did you guys select? Several of us have listed options in earlier posts. It would be great to hear your approach when you get some time.
Here is the list of options on our contract:
  • Kingston gray hull
  • Prewiring for generator
  • Hydronic heating
  • Radar Arch
  • Extra helm seat on flybridge
  • Modify boat deck handrail
  • Cockpit side entry doors
  • Swim platform staples
  • 650 lb LP davit
  • 3 additional house batteries
  • 3 solar panels
  • 120 an 12 volt outlets in cockpit
  • 1 1/2 galley sink
  • LED under counter lighting
  • Add seacock for watermaker
  • 1 towel bar in day head
  • Hinged storage under bed
  • Grab rail under cockpit cover

That is pretty much it, barring any changes...
PT Bay Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:23 PM   #126
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Bay Watcher View Post
Here is the list of options on our contract:
  • Kingston gray hull
  • Prewiring for generator
  • Hydronic heating
  • Radar Arch
  • Extra helm seat on flybridge
  • Modify boat deck handrail
  • Cockpit side entry doors
  • Swim platform staples
  • 650 lb LP davit
  • 3 additional house batteries
  • 3 solar panels
  • 120 an 12 volt outlets in cockpit
  • 1 1/2 galley sink
  • LED under counter lighting
  • Add seacock for watermaker
  • 1 towel bar in day head
  • Hinged storage under bed
  • Grab rail under cockpit cover

That is pretty much it, barring any changes...
That looks much like our list except being on the east coast we opted for a gennie and HVAC’s. We got a 110 volt outlet in the cockpit. Just curious, what will you use the 12 volt in the cockpit for?
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:36 PM   #127
Senior Member
 
Doug_Snider's Avatar
 
City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In transit)
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 179
We met with Scott yesterday to go over final details. We added lights on the radar arch, a 120 volt outlet in the cockpit and Caesarstone at the center cabinet (wine bar). Scott put us in touch with Eddie Legard of C & L Marine who sent us an electronics proposal today that meets our requirements perfectly. “Alba Bella” gets more real every day.
Doug_Snider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:37 PM   #128
Member
 
City: Port Townsend
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
That looks much like our list except being on the east coast we opted for a gennie and HVAC’s. We got a 110 volt outlet in the cockpit. Just curious, what will you use the 12 volt in the cockpit for?
The further North you go up here the better the shrimp taste but they are a couple of hundred feet deep. So a 12 volt Scotty crab/shrimp trap line puller makes it so you don't have the work so hard for your catch...
PT Bay Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:54 PM   #129
Member
 
City: Port Townsend
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Snider View Post
We met with Scott yesterday to go over final details. We added lights on the radar arch, a 120 volt outlet in the cockpit and Caesarstone at the center cabinet (wine bar). Scott put us in touch with Eddie Legard of C & L Marine who sent us an electronics proposal today that meets our requirements perfectly. “Alba Bella” gets more real every day.
Would love to know about your electronics package. I haven't even started thinking about that yet. Maybe I should get started...

Rick
PT Bay Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:11 PM   #130
Senior Member
 
Doug_Snider's Avatar
 
City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In transit)
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 179
Scott suggested that we move ahead on the electronics because of current supply chain and semiconductor shortage issues. We were leaning toward Furuno but my wife’s brother, a marine electrician and certified captain, recommended Garmin. The proposals we received were for Garmin and Simrad. We’re leaning toward the Garmin based package that included the following.

16” multi function displays
Autopilot
Garmin Fantom radar
Chirp sonar
Forward looking sonar
AIS transceiver
Fusion entertainment system
Rear view camera
Modular VHF system

We’ll probably downsize the fly bridge MFD and add an engine room camera.
Doug_Snider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:17 PM   #131
Member
 
City: Victoria
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Bay Watcher View Post
Here is the list of options on our contract:
  • Kingston gray hull
  • Prewiring for generator
  • Hydronic heating
  • Radar Arch
  • Extra helm seat on flybridge
  • Modify boat deck handrail
  • Cockpit side entry doors
  • Swim platform staples
  • 650 lb LP davit
  • 3 additional house batteries
  • 3 solar panels
  • 120 an 12 volt outlets in cockpit
  • 1 1/2 galley sink
  • LED under counter lighting
  • Add seacock for watermaker
  • 1 towel bar in day head
  • Hinged storage under bed
  • Grab rail under cockpit cover

That is pretty much it, barring any changes...
Where will the solar panels be located and how will they be mounted? Considering installing some on top of the pilot house but concerned about glare when running from the flybridge.
Wagamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:24 PM   #132
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Bay Watcher View Post
Would love to know about your electronics package. I haven't even started thinking about that yet. Maybe I should get started...

Rick
I attended four days of NMEA 2000 installation workshops last week. In the past I have installed my own electronics. I am putting the order together and will have that completed in the next week or so. I plan to go largely with Furuno. All of the big four do a good job with electronics for the most part.

I installed Raymarine on my last boat, was happy with the performance, unhappy with some of the needlessly complex screens to get things done, and unhappy that they sunset my two year old plotter.

Garmin has pretty good service but sunsets their equipment too quickly for me. Simrad has a forum reputation for poor service. I have zero experience with them, so really don’t know if the anecdotes on their service are one offs or not.

One thing I am pretty sure I will do is go with a Vesper Cortex (Sotdma B AIS with VHF capabilities). It also has the capability for sensors and when accompanied by access to the web, has a remote anchor watch and sensor reporting.

The rest of the electronics are a WiP but will be ironed out over the next couple of weeks. If there is interest I will post the build chart for it when completed.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:57 PM   #133
Guru
 
City: West coast
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 1,000
The Vesper Cortex looks interesting. Any real world experience with it?
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:29 AM   #134
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
The Vesper Cortex looks interesting. Any real world experience with it?
There are reviews online at SeaBits and Panbo.

Here is SeaBits https://seabits.com/vesper-cortex-first-impressions/
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 12:25 PM   #135
Newbie
 
City: Bellevue
Vessel Name: TBD 4139
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 41 (On Order)
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 2
Sizing for 3 additional house batteries

We are looking at a very similar setup.

Interested in how you sized the load for adding 3 additional house batteries. This would provide about 1000 amp hours i think.

We would love to not get the Genset for both cost and maintenance reasons so are thinking about the battery sizing to help avoid. Let me know how you sized the load.

M
BellevueMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 02:29 PM   #136
Senior Member
 
Doug_Snider's Avatar
 
City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In transit)
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Bay Watcher View Post
Would love to know about your electronics package. I haven't even started thinking about that yet. Maybe I should get started...

Rick
Yesterday we finalized our electronics selections. C&L Marine Electronics, Helmsman’s preferred vendor in Seattle, had given us two proposals, one for Garmin and one for Simrad. My wife’s brother is a marine electrician and has been recommending Garmin. He has installed a lot of systems and has Garmin on his Hatteras 48 LRC. We opted for the Garmin system with a few tweaks my brother-in-law recommended. Our package includes:

GPSMAP 86xx Series MFD (16” in pilot house and 12”on the fly bridge. )
Garmin Fantom Radar
Garmin Panoptix front looking sonar
1000 watt CHIRP transducer
AIS transceiver
Garmin modular VHF
Garmin autopilot
Garmin marine camera in cockpit
Fusion Apollo marine stereo system
NMEA 2000 displays (stateroom and salon)

C&L offers a 10 percent discount and a special labor rate for Scott’s customers.
Doug_Snider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #137
FWT
Guru
 
City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,136
Doug:

Looks good.

Two transducers? The chirp for fishing?

I am trying to untangle options in that arena.
FWT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:34 PM   #138
Guru
 
City: West coast
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Snider View Post
Yesterday we finalized our electronics selections. C&L Marine Electronics, Helmsman’s preferred vendor in Seattle, had given us two proposals, one for Garmin and one for Simrad. My wife’s brother is a marine electrician and has been recommending Garmin. He has installed a lot of systems and has Garmin on his Hatteras 48 LRC. We opted for the Garmin system with a few tweaks my brother-in-law recommended. Our package includes:

GPSMAP 86xx Series MFD (16” in pilot house and 12”on the fly bridge. )
Garmin Fantom Radar
Garmin Panoptix front looking sonar
1000 watt CHIRP transducer
AIS transceiver
Garmin modular VHF
Garmin autopilot
Garmin marine camera in cockpit
Fusion Apollo marine stereo system
NMEA 2000 displays (stateroom and salon)

C&L offers a 10 percent discount and a special labor rate for Scott’s customers.
Did you consider Furuno? That’s what I’m going with on a 55’. I much preferred their radar and it was less expensive to boot. (Unless your discount is only Garmin).
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:37 PM   #139
Senior Member
 
Nancy n Larry's Avatar
 
City: Sequim
Vessel Name: M/V Waterhorse
Vessel Model: Awaiting a Helmsman 38E, Hull#52
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
Did you consider Furuno? That’s what I’m going with on a 55’. I much preferred their radar and it was less expensive to boot. (Unless your discount is only Garmin).
We are also going with Furuno on our 38. Much prefer their reliability, customer support and the way the system works. Bowball, where did you order yours from?
Nancy n Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 03:42 PM   #140
Guru
 
City: West coast
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy n Larry View Post
We are also going with Furuno on our 38. Much prefer their reliability, customer support and the way the system works. Bowball, where did you order yours from?
Mine is going on a Fleming, so installed by their authorized service center.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012