Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After seeing your boat in person, I can attest to the fact that your wife was right! So glad to hear you are getting her back out again. It's the one and only Helmsman I've had the pleasure of boarding. Such a beautiful boat. They've figured out how to tick an awful lot of boxes.

Thank you , sir. We will get back out on it soon. Headed to Baltimore to help a fellow Helmsman owner de-winterize his and go for a ride up the Chesapeake to Annapolis.

Thank you , sir. We will get back out on it soon. Headed to Baltimore to help a fellow Helmsman owner de-winterize his and go for a ride up the Chesapeake to Annapolis.

Boating in Baltimore? Watch out for recently sunken bridge parts! :D

Enjoy your time on the water!! Be safe!
I can't wait for the 46 to arrive in Seattle. Probably mid-May.

Thank you. Yours should be here just in time for the summer. There will be a lot of interest in your boat for sure. It seems everywhere we take ours, people want to look. I would imagine that you will experience that on steroids. We are really excited for you!

This should probably be posted on the “Aging” thread. Somewhere I have seen what I thought was a Helmsman with 2 ottomans in the salon with the settee as opposed to the table. Lucky enough to have my wife sitting with me looking at the 38’s and 43’s layouts and custom options. She would love to see that pic and I can’t find. May have been on YouTube or Trawler Forum. Any ideas where I saw that?

Attachments

• Salon.jpg
    Salon.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 12
Has anyone ordered/purchased a ships clock, and/or a barometer?
Looking for recommendations and how well they work.
Not sure why I need a clock being retired, but we need to nautical :)
Thanks.

We put the Weems & Plath Endurance II series barometer, comfort meter and clock set above the helm area. Fits well in the space and makes me look smart.

Very nice. If your still on the boat, what size are yours. I see they have two sizes to order?

They're the Endurance II line. Base is about 4.5".

Those Wempe clocks and barometers look really nice...

Im doing my first oil change using the reverso system.
on the Cummins 6.7. Exciting!

My dipstick was a hair under full.

The quantities of oil (per manual) is:
high-pan 15 qtr
low-pan 13 qtr
filter - 1qtr
Total system capacity is 17.6 qtr which means there is oil in the pump rest of engine.
I noted you can go to quickserve and look up the capacity with my serial number but the system isn't responding.

I was able to pull 12.75 qtrs out. I might let it sit and try one more pull in the morning for the fun of it. So I was expecting to get more by a couple of quarts.

Anyone have the reverso on the 6.7 and what were able to pull?
If there is there as much as 4 quarts hidden somewhere (reverso lines, engine), then I am reducing my oil change interval.

Anyone with the reverso and did you get about the same?

Im doing my first oil change using the reverso system.
on the Cummins 6.7. Exciting!

My dipstick was a hair under full.

The quantities of oil (per manual) is:
high-pan 15 qtr
low-pan 13 qtr
filter - 1qtr
Total system capacity is 17.6 qtr which means there is oil in the pump rest of engine.
I noted you can go to quickserve and look up the capacity with my serial number but the system isn't responding.

I was able to pull 12.75 qtrs out. I might let it sit and try one more pull in the morning for the fun of it. So I was expecting to get more by a couple of quarts.

Anyone have the reverso on the 6.7 and what were able to pull?
If there is there as much as 4 quarts hidden somewhere (reverso lines, engine), then I am reducing my oil change interval.

Anyone with the reverso and did you get about the same?
What are your thoughts about the reverso? Worth the investment?

If you search on this forum, there is a lot of discussion about whether the Reverso is worth it. For us, we have a certified mechanic come in and do the annual service. This year was interesting and I will update the Helmsman clan later. But for most of us, once a year is enough and since the mechanic is there, all good. It is what money is for. Our boat has a Reverso system thanks to Robert, who put one into the very Bristol 2020 38e he graciously sold to us (while he waits for his amazing 46 to arrive this spring!). We have not used it yet. But perhaps, when I FINALLY get the boat to Alaska in 2025 I will use it then. Otherwise, somebody else does all the work. But if you are going to do long range cruising, this is a must. If you are staying close to mechanics who will do the service for you, I just don't see the value in it. Others will disagree!

Reverso: "But if you are going to do long range cruising, this is a must.". Totally agree with Hydraulicjump.
Carrying two diesel containers on board is very useful, especially if you plan to do any long term cruising in remote waters. One container for a couple of gallons of spare diesel fuel and the other (a 5-gallon) for dumping used engine oil pumped out by the Reverso. Some clean diesel is needed for topping up the engine fuel filter and RACOR filter cannisters after replacing old filters. And if you change the transmission oil, the old transmission fluid can be added to the used diesel fuel for disposal at a marina or other disposal site.
On the 46 I will definitely be using the Reverso for engine, genset and transmission oil changes.

I used the Reverso to do the 25 hour change on the transmission fluid. I can’t imagine the contortions needed to do it manually.

Reverso value.

How to calculate the value of tools and accessories for the Helmsman yachts and yacht value:

Engine Value = 2024 Corvette + one month+ = arm and leg

Vessel = House + 2 years = 2 arms and 2 legs

Simply put what is the value of a tool, process, and knowledge maintaining your Cummins diesel.

If a reverso will make it more fun and ease to maintain your vessel the more enjoyable time you’ll spend “down there”. Hard work, and cramped spaces wont motivate most people to maintain and work on their boat.

The reverso will make your job easier. Since the Helmsman is well constructed with plenty of space why not invest in the equipment to match that level of quality? Ive used it twice on the transmission and a couple of times adjusting the engine oil (after I overfilled it a bit). You have full control of your levels with a flip of a switch whenever and where ever you are. I only have the engine and tranny, but it’d be even more valuable if I had a generator.

If your going to have a mechanic do the work for you, then you might inquire what they will use to pull the oil out, as putting a reverso in will probably make it easier only for them.

I say this in comparison to the hand pump oil extractor on my volvo V8 which was difficult to use and I never got all the oil out. It was backbreaking and messy as well.

As an update, I called Cummins rep and he was able to look up my pan quantity by engine number. Your supposed to be able to do this on quickserve, but I’m too impatient as I find that site less than being friendly user.

One important note per scott. Go buy two semi transparent 5 gallon buckets at Ace. You’ll find them in the paint department. It will have measurement on the side. When using the revso or any other methods you can measure exactly what you took out. Thus refill less than 2 quarts and then fine tune filling over a hour or so as it settles to midpoint on the stick. Fill the oil filter with fresh oil and replace.

Start engine and idle for a bit . Settle and come back after a coffee and measure.

I have a cummins rep out chasing the oil capacity per SN and should get back to me today.

Do note, the manual states and confirmed by Cummins to change the oil at 500 hours IF using Ultra-low sulfur diesel. Oil is cheaper than a vette so change it at 250 if you want.

Back to and still waiting on if anyone else measured what they pulled out in quarts (original question)?

PS. Its very important you do not run the engine with excess oil (over full). It can do damage to the engine. Fill it within the low-high and go buy the vette which will have a better long term value than a broken engine.

I didn’t choose to get the Reverso. My desire to have one less system to maintain overrode my desire for an “easy” fluids change. I have a johnson oil pump which I attach to a five gallon bucket. Works quickly and well for me.

When I change the oil, I place a small oil catch basin on top of a small box below the oil plug. I take off the fill cap, loosen the plug, and suck the oil into the bucket using the catch basin. I remove the old filter, dump the oil from it into the bucket, and dispose of the oil filter. I fill the new filter about 3/4 and put it on the engine. When filling the engine with oil, I fill to the bottom of the hatched section of the dipstick tube, and then start the engine. I take the five gallon bucket to the auto parts store for recycling. When I get back, the oil is usually 3/4 of the way up the hatched section. I pour a small amount in to get close but not all the way to the top of the hatched lines. The first time I filled the oil, I had to remove 24 ounces of oil, due to the time it takes for the oil to settle.

The transmission is a little more problematic. I remove the filter in the transmission from the front starboard side of the engine and replace. I remove the trans fluid through the dipstick from the back, and then refill through the dipstick. Works ok, just awkward to get to with the batteries right there. I then engage the transmission, and fine tune the fill.

The Northern Lights generator is a little messy because the filter is on the side and the gennie has two fill caps. If I remember correctly, I pulled the oil from a supplied drain tube using the Johnson pump. Pulling the filter is messy, because it sits sideways. Using absorbent towels minimizes the mess. Replace the filter. The next trick is to use the top oil fill. Using the side cap can cause the oil to pour out by the funnel. I fill to half the hatch mark, started the engine, and then rechecked to fine tune. Then, let it sit and check capacity

Hi,
I'm a BIG fan of flushing outboards with salt away. I've seen many engines fail from corrosion without flushing.

Does anyone have a cummins "official way" to flush the engine. I was about to use the garden hose into the strainer cap adapter but was told to be careful since you can overpressure the system and backflow water into the exhaust and flood the engine (or something similar).

One Cummins employee said run the engine for a short period while flushing.
The second cummins rep said don't flush with garden hose but you have to be careful of back flow (as stated above), but didn't know if running the engine is the right way to do it.

One alternative is I have made a 5gal home depot bucket with a garden hose. It was used to winterize I/Os using rabbit ears.
on the Cummins, I would close the raw water intake and connect the bucket filled with a salt water mix solution and turn the engine on using the raw water pump do the work. Have someone at the keys and check overboard flow and rate of 5 gallon drain to ensure enough water solution is wetting the pump.

I've ordered part number Operation and Maintenance manual P/N 4310612 which wont be here for 2-3 weeks (cummins prints on demand) which might have it in there. If anyone has the manual, can they look and send me a screen shot of what the official cummins process is? Or other information?

I use the SeaFlush for the engine for winterization and also used it for a Barnacle Buster treatment on the Carver I used to own. Salt Away could be delivered in the same way. It is also handy if you are leaving your boat for a couple of weeks and want to deliver fresh water through it prior to leaving. Easy and quick. Picture attached. It uses the engine raw water impeller and pump to pull the water through eliminating the concern of pushing water where it shouldn’t go. Best to use two people with one at the ignition, because the engine will pull 5 gallons through very quickly or you can tape the hose to the bucket where you can see it from the helm and shut the engine off once it is empty.

Attachments

• IMG_4769.jpeg
    IMG_4769.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom