Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found these on the sbmar.com site. Pics from the site are attached. The link shows a variety of Cummins engine zincs, with the QSB 6.7 at the bottom. It appears to me that there are 5 zincs. Two are listed as 1/2” (thread?) on the aftercooler. One is 3/8” thread on the gear oil and two 3/8” thread on the heat exchanger. They are marked on the pictures. Other sites say there are three 1/2”.

I read elsewhere that you need to be careful of a couple of things. Have something to catch the water below the lower aftercooler zinc so it doesn’t spill on the fuel pump. There may also be a need to shorten (saw it off) the small one in the gear oil cooler. I am not sure if the shortening is an accurate statement but could be verified before placement by comparing the new with the old. This tracks with what I saw on a newer Helmsman 43e. Cummins certainly doesn’t make this aspect of maintenance easy to determine.

Attachments

• IMG_5063.jpeg
    IMG_5063.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5064.jpeg
    IMG_5064.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5065.jpeg
    IMG_5065.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5066.jpeg
    IMG_5066.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
YES! You just witnessed my ability to tpye before coffee!

I (and others) need a source, and part number for the anode for the ZF85A.

If your have anything from the ZF company pdf, pic or anything as well, that would be great. I went back to cummins rep and he wasn't super sure.
Thanks!

I am not aware of a zinc/anode on the ZF85A transmission itself, however, the transmission/gear oil cooler has an anode. Cummins provides part numbers for their anodes via their QuickServe site. For instance, the gear oil cooler anode is noted to be part #3957921, but Cummins does not publish the anode characteristics on Quickserve (e.g., thread type or anode length / diameter).

FYI - I direct owners to boatzincs.com for engine anodes on the QSB6.7 in our more recent systems manuals, and haven't received any negative feedback, so I think the parts provided are spot on:

Van Helker / Helmsman Trawlers

Back
Top Bottom