Old 01-20-2023, 09:20 PM   #1241

City: Santa Barbara Harbor
Vessel Name: Caballero II
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Classic 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
We elected to get a grill and fridge on the FB. Helmsman43, a poster on this site, decided to get the same. I think it turned out well and thought I would share a picture of the setup. The fridge is inside the cabinet with vents on the sides of the cabinet. One concern was whether the area would be too tight, but the drawings Scott provided showed that it would work out well, and it did.

Scott suggested insetting it as part of the helm area, which would still allow for a dinghy up top. We are really pleased with the way it turned out.
Could more better identify the grill on top? It doesn't look like a grill to me, so I'm confused. And, a picture and ID of the fridge inside the cabinet, so we could know what sort of fridge might fit in the space?

Following with great interest, and thinking very seriously of joining in the Helmsman gang. I love the quality I'm seeing, and the buyer-oriented order process. Tim
Caballero II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:04 PM   #1242
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Name: Mishy Jean
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballero II View Post
Could more better identify the grill on top? It doesn't look like a grill to me, so I'm confused. And, a picture and ID of the fridge inside the cabinet, so we could know what sort of fridge might fit in the space?

Following with great interest, and thinking very seriously of joining in the Helmsman gang. I love the quality I'm seeing, and the buyer-oriented order process. Tim
The two appliances are a Kenyon Frontier 1300 watt Electric Grill, and the Isotherm Cruise Elegance 130 4.6 cu ft Silver Door AC/DC fridge. We went with an electric grill. We aren’t using propane on the boat and we fo have a generator.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 01:34 PM   #1243

City: Henry Island, WA
Vessel Name: Embark
Vessel Model: 38E Helmsman - #51
On Board tools

Time to think about getting a dedicated set of tools for the 38e.

I know that will be developed over time, and though I have extras of this and that, I'm wondering if anyone has a slick purchase of a tool-box that fits in the engine room (Embark has no gen or A/C or H2o Maker).

So if anyone out there bought a particular tool case plastic or metal (I'm thinking of the top case of a craftsman tool cabinet), not sure if a salt environment and fits just right let me know.

I might do two, one mechanical and a small one for electrical.

For that matter, any tool sets (craftsman, other quality sets (Snapon < I wish) suggestions to start with would be great.

My guess is, most folks transfer over from previous boats, but at least if anyone measured and found a good box for the 38e engine room, I would go get one.

Thanks, Tom
Tom-Jill-Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 01:58 PM   #1244

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Kiskadee
Vessel Model: Helmsman 46 Hull#1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Jill-Lilly View Post

I know that will be developed over time, and though I have extras of this and that, I'm wondering if anyone has a slick purchase of a tool-box that fits in the engine room (Embark has no gen or A/C or H2o Maker).

So if anyone out there bought a particular tool case plastic or metal (I'm thinking of the top case of a craftsman tool cabinet), not sure if a salt environment and fits just right let me know.

I might do two, one mechanical and a small one for electrical.

For that matter, any tool sets (craftsman, other quality sets (Snapon < I wish) suggestions to start with would be great.

My guess is, most folks transfer over from previous boats, but at least if anyone measured and found a good box for the 38e engine room, I would go get one.

Thanks, Tom
Tom, in my experience, tools and tool sets are matched to the task at hand. I have three tool sets: engine maintenance and electrical, hull and engine zinc replacement, other servicing tasks (like tightening the rudder post seal). In my experience, one can get by with a basic set of tools but it's a must to have the right tool for the job. Happy cruising!
chanprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 04:12 PM   #1245

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (Home at last )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Jill-Lilly View Post

We’re going with tool bags. My brother-in-law is a retired boat mechanic who swears by a well organized tool bag. This video convinced me. https://youtu.be/Z4kDspZP6Zs

We bought one from CLC Work Gear on Amazon. We may use a separate bag for electronics and electrical work.
Doug_Snider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 04:15 PM   #1246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Snider View Post
We’re going with tool bags. My brother-in-law is a retired boat mechanic who swears by a well organized tool bag. This video convinced me. https://youtu.be/Z4kDspZP6Zs

We bought one from CLC Work Gear on Amazon. We may use a separate bag for electronics and electrical work.
Same here. Tool bags are the way to go.
Old 01-24-2023, 02:16 AM   #1247

City: Sequim
Vessel Name: M/V Waterhorse
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E, Hull#52
We have two bags. One for miscellaneous tools, one for electrical and then a standard/metric complete socket set in a hard case. Spare parts are kept in a separate bag. Got them on Amazon.
Nancy n Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:17 AM   #1248
NSM
Veteran Member

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: Hold Fast
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43E
We do the same, but put all those separate bags in a watertight plastic bin with some desiccant packs.
NSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:57 AM   #1249

tools

All great comments.
So much for the pretty snap-on tool chest. Going bags!
At Amazon, I didn't know they made so many.
Fun!
Old 01-24-2023, 10:25 AM   #1250

City: Davis, California
Vessel Name: Off Leash
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38e
Want to second the recommendation for two tool bags (at least). However, on our last boat our lazarettes were pretty wet, which causes havoc for tools left out there. So we went with these waterproof tool boxes which were cheap and kept things dry:

https://www.defender.com/product3.js...977&id=1262542

And having just spent a few hours restoring our thrusters (thank goodness they went toes up in the dock), I am reminded that the most useful tool on a boat (besides your noggin') is a mini clamp multimeter. This one has been very useful.

https://www.defender.com/product3.js...0010&id=942437

This thread is a helpful reminder for us to do a complete tool inventory before summer cruising season--especially because we are on a new boat!
Old 01-24-2023, 12:20 PM   #1251

Spares and other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulicjump View Post
Want to second the recommendation for two tool bags (at least). However, on our last boat our lazarettes were pretty wet, which causes havoc for tools left out there. So we went with these waterproof tool boxes which were cheap and kept things dry:

https://www.defender.com/product3.js...977&id=1262542

And having just spent a few hours restoring our thrusters (thank goodness they went toes up in the dock), I am reminded that the most useful tool on a boat (besides your noggin') is a mini clamp multimeter. This one has been very useful.

https://www.defender.com/product3.js...0010&id=942437

This thread is a helpful reminder for us to do a complete tool inventory before summer cruising season--especially because we are on a new boat!
To get a little deeper, have containers for: various marine silica cements, rescue tape, zip ties, teflon tape, etc.; another with stainless steel jubilee clamps of various sizes, electrical fuses for different amperage loads, small strong scissors, thruster shear pins, pencil zincs, etc. Spares: keep a water pump, macerator pump, bilge pump and short lengths of appropriate tubing on board.

This list is just a beginning and is really for times when you want to do some extensive cruising and to places where you can't tie up to a marina in a few hours when an unexpected mechanical failure happens. Keep what is absolutely the minimum, essential tools and spares on board, and most of all, get handy with small repair. Saves a lot of grief on the water.

Oh, and a common pain reliever is nice to have because after bending and twisting in the engine compartment for a few hours, the bod gets a bit stiff and unused muscles will be sore!!
Old 01-25-2023, 03:43 PM   #1252

This afternoon, Scott drove Alba Bella from Dania Beach, Florida to board the cargo ship BBC Michigan in Port Everglades for her ride to Victoria, B.C. She’s finally heading in the right direction. Much thanks to Scott for all his effort to get us reunited. We are officially excited again. She doesn’t look so big in her present company but beautiful to us.

Old 01-25-2023, 04:03 PM   #1253

Nice Doug. Wondering if we could stowaway on her and cruise the Panama Canal.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:10 PM   #1254

That would be fine with us, but you will have to hurry. The ship sails tomorrow. The itinerary reads like a cruse line package. Golfito, La Paz, Ensenada and Victoria. I imagined what it would be like traveling on our own boat on the deck of a cargo ship. The shrink wrap might spoil the view but the accommodations are fantastic.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:15 PM   #1255
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Great news Doug. Congratulations
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:47 AM   #1256

City: Sequim
Vessel Name: M/V Waterhorse
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E, Hull#52
Excellent news!
Nancy n Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:15 PM   #1257

Alba Bella is on her way

As we were watching BBC Michigan leave Port Everglades on AIS and the Port Everglades webcam, we received a PM from TF member, Furycove, whose beautiful 55 Fleming is just astern of our boat. It’s getting real, again.

Old 01-28-2023, 12:00 AM   #1258

Find “Alba Bella”

Next stop, Golfito, Costa Rica
Old 01-28-2023, 04:11 AM   #1259
Guru

City: Vermont
Who is the shipper?
Old 01-28-2023, 09:28 AM   #1260

The shipper is Legend Yacht Transport.