Old 01-17-2023, 11:22 PM   #1221
Veteran Member

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Kiskadee
Vessel Model: Helmsman 46 Hull#1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Well, we spent the day moving in. The heaviness of the wood, the way the cabinets and doors close, and the lighting all make this trawler feel like it is light years ahead of our last boat.

The amount of space for this size boat continues to surprise us. As veteran boaters, we are used to being careful what we bring aboard, but we really havenít used that much of the available space.

This is our first night aboard. ACís are quiet.

Just a nice feeling hanging out on the boat.
We felt the same way when we stepped into Kiskadee the first time !! 🙂👌
chanprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:54 PM   #1222

City: Santa Barbara Harbor
Vessel Name: Caballero II
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Classic 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Snider View Post
We had these on our old boat. They make deploying, boarding and exiting the dinghy very easy. With a light tender, a light block and tackle from the boat deck makes tilting it upright very easy. The standoff rods secure it in the vertical position.

https://www.weaverindustries.com/ind...e-dinghies.htm
I am not a fan of Weaver Clips. They came with our GB 36 and obstruct the swim platform. Further, as the dink deflates as they all do, it ends up folding up on the platform and looks unsightly. Further, you have to deal with the outboard engine. When I dropped mine in the water at my marina, I said no more.

So, we switched to putting the inflatable dink on the aft coach roof and used the mast and boom to lift the dink onto its' cradle there. That got old quickly as it took my wife and I about 20 minutes to raise and lower the dink.

3rd iteration, put Rothskelley davits on the swim step for the dink. Not perfect, but way better. Launch in about 1 minute, retrieve in about 5 mins. You lose swim step unless your dink is already alongside in the water, but minimal fuss. I am looking forward to storing it on the boat deck and handle with the hoist.
Caballero II is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 10:49 PM   #1223

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In transit)
Quote:
Well, we spent the day moving in. The heaviness of the wood, the way the cabinets and doors close, and the lighting all make this trawler feel like it is light years ahead of our last boat.
Your first night on the boat must be magical. We realize youíre going to be very busy getting to know the boat, but we are hungry for vicariously sharing your experience. Having been aboard your boat for about five minutes, I can certainly imagine your impressions. We hope you can find the time to share some photos and some new Helmsman owner insights.

We are getting excited again because we woke up to news from Scott that the contract has been signed to carry Alba Bella home. She could be loaded aboard the transport ship one week from today.
Doug_Snider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 10:54 PM   #1224
Veteran Member

City: Henry Island, WA
Vessel Name: Embark
Vessel Model: 38E Helmsman - #51
Ditto to Helmsman, love to see pics of happy gloat of your awesome boat!

Doug send a pic of the load in 7 days, congrats!.
Tom-Jill-Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 10:55 PM   #1225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Jill-Lilly View Post
Ditto to Helmsman, love to see pics of happy gloat of your awesome boat!

Doug send a pic of the load in 7 days, congrats!.
Will do. The race to Lake Union is on.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:04 PM   #1226
Veteran Member

your on!

2nd place buys two of these... as I study the first process..

https://toronadosd.com/how-to-break-...aiden%20voyage.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:34 PM   #1227
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
I am under strict orders from the missus to refrain from pics until she gets it set up the way she wants it. I will snap a pic or two of the exterior tomorrow if the yard finishes cleaning it up.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:29 AM   #1228

City: Davis, California
Vessel Name: Off Leash
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38e
How exciting. You will--as we did--listen to every noise on the boat, every motion. Maybe including your spouse stumbling around in the dark to find the !@#$ light in the head (see the Helmsman Hacks thread). And you will smell all the newness of it too. Given the out-of-the-wrapper quality of the boat, this is all going to be fun. We were very lucky that the previous owner took such good care of the boat that it seemed 100% new to us. Still does, as I write this tonight from Seattle (40 degrees and drizzling) with the heater blasting away.

We have had two noises that woke us up. The first was easy to figure out. We have the MagnaSine Inverter. As designed, when on shorepower it goes through a bulk and float charge. As this happens the ACRs connect and all the batteries are charged at the same time. But unlike our Promariner Inverter/Charger on the last boat, the MagnaSine decides to give the batteries a rest after they are fully charged. Takes about four hours. As the voltage drops below 12.8v, eventually the three ACRs disconnect with a loud series of "bangs". That'll wake you up. Then, when the charger goes to the float cycle, the ACRs go off and reconnect, with a bang. Or clunk, I guess. Whatever, you may chase this noise. The simplest solution to this is to set the ACRs to On (on the panel) when at the dock (thanks Van for this tip). But remember to put them back on auto when you leave the dock.

The second noise is our water pump which randomly goes off. It is haunted, but that is for another thread.

Congrats on the new smells and discovery. But I gotta say, we have noticed that we are becoming more fond of the boat the more time we spend on it. That is a very good sign.

Jeff on Off Leash
Old 01-19-2023, 07:50 AM   #1229
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Jill-Lilly View Post
your on!

2nd place buys two of these... as I study the first process..

https://toronadosd.com/how-to-break-...aiden%20voyage.
Good link.

Christening has not come up. Worthy of study!
FWT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:54 PM   #1230

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
I'd suggest 8 plait over 3 strand nylon. Works better with the windlass and stores easier and flatter as it is much more flexible. Highly recommend New England Rope.
What he said. I strongly agree. You'll be glad you tried it. Stows like a dream and doesn't get stiff and hard.
Old 01-19-2023, 09:58 PM   #1231

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
I'd suggest 8 plait over 3 strand nylon. Works better with the windlass and stores easier and flatter as it is much more flexible. Highly recommend New England Rope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Truths View Post
I purchased a 600' reel of Samson braided polypropylene line, and keep it flaked in an Ikea "Frakta" bag, which is dirt cheap on Amazon (2 for $7). It worked perfectly last summer, and is easily stored in the cockpit lazarette. I was not interested in the bag system seen on Youtube, for a few reasons. It only holds 300' of line, which doesn't seem adequate to me. It is a bit too clever and complicated. (After pulling in the line, you would have to take it apart and reflake the two sections separately. I just flake it directly back into the bag and am done with it.) Finally, if I remember correctly, it was way expensive. The Ikea bag is next to free.

The simple "flaked in a bag" stern-tie can be deployed and recovered just as fast as a reel, is light, and takes up no room at all when not in use. And if you come from sailing, flaking the line gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling.
I tend to agree, 300' feet does not seem enough. However, what is the trick to retrieving the line, without doubling it, to retrieving without having to launch the dink to do so? You could double your 600' line and hope you could retrieve without snagging, but that would be the same as building her 300' line with a 600' one and doing the same thing, no?
Old 01-19-2023, 10:55 PM   #1232
Guru

We elected to get a grill and fridge on the FB. Helmsman43, a poster on this site, decided to get the same. I think it turned out well and thought I would share a picture of the setup. The fridge is inside the cabinet with vents on the sides of the cabinet. One concern was whether the area would be too tight, but the drawings Scott provided showed that it would work out well, and it did.

Scott suggested insetting it as part of the helm area, which would still allow for a dinghy up top. We are really pleased with the way it turned out.
Attached Thumbnails
5DB48740-A37C-4585-B84E-E963C7490251.jpg   221FA88E-59DC-44B9-A81E-D72B1487EEE5.jpg  
Old 01-19-2023, 11:00 PM   #1233
Guru

HtT,

Here is a couple of pictures of the PH door, and a shot of the ACR switches at the panel. The channel has a hole that allows water to flow out to the walkway.

Nate
Attached Thumbnails
47631CE2-2DA9-405B-8615-04623F7203F5.jpg   15554B89-9594-4855-84A7-64F1B95A98B4.jpg  
Old 01-19-2023, 11:44 PM   #1234
Guru

Another pic, showing the channel off of the deck.
Attached Thumbnails
EE35DB68-3B1C-4848-B3EF-23CC0DA2CC77.jpg  
Old 01-20-2023, 12:29 AM   #1235
Veteran Member

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Kiskadee
Vessel Model: Helmsman 46 Hull#1
Quote:
We elected to get a grill and fridge on the FB. Helmsman43, a poster on this site, decided to get the same. I think it turned out well and thought I would share a picture of the setup. The fridge is inside the cabinet with vents on the sides of the cabinet. One concern was whether the area would be too tight, but the drawings Scott provided showed that it would work out well, and it did.

Scott suggested insetting it as part of the helm area, which would still allow for a dinghy up top. We are really pleased with the way it turned out.
That's a very nice and useful addition to the FB helm area. I really appreciate Scott's willingness to help with modifications.
chanprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 06:31 AM   #1236
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
That layout does indeed look terrific!
FWT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 03:47 PM   #1237
Veteran Member

Nice job on the cabinet on top! I want one - Tom
Old 01-20-2023, 04:48 PM   #1238

That setup would be a great optional addition for the Helmsman models. It probably wouldnít work with a radar mast but itís perfect with a radar arch. I wonder how hard it would be as a retrofit item.

We are loving the photos. Keep them coming
Old 01-20-2023, 04:58 PM   #1239
Veteran Member

Speaking with Scott this morning I complimented him on Helmsman's grill-frig design. If it were an option I would have ponied up. Not sure if you can retro. I saw a difference in the anitskid on the floor and assume electrical.

Then the 6-pack royalty back to Helmsman(Nick) for designing it.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:10 PM   #1240
Guru

It works with an arch. It would be too tight with a mast I think. You could still do it if you off set it behind the settee, I think.

Wiring would not be too much of an issue on a retro fit.