Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-19-2021, 10:35 PM   #101
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
Re the shower: ask if they fixed the problem with drainage from the shower seat. Ours ( and others with Mariner 37 PH) the water flows toward the bulkhead and you have to sponge it after every shower.
Barrie, I passed the concern along. Thanks.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:07 PM   #102
Veteran Member
 
City: Malletts Bay, Vermont
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Can some current owners of the Helmsman 37, 38, or 43 comment on dinghy set up off the stern? Would like to hear the pros and cons of different products. As mentioned earlier, we plan to use the upper area for hanging out.
Helmsman, I obviously don't have mine yet, but I intend to use a Hurley 3.0 on the aft platform of the 37. I have confirmed with Scott and Hurley that this will work. Also, Hurley's customer service is really amazing. I sent measurements and pics that Scott took for me on an existing 37, and Hurley and I got on the phone and worked through all the details to make sure it'd work for me.

Newt
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:08 PM   #103
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
Helmsman, I obviously don't have mine yet, but I intend to use a Hurley 3.0 on the aft platform of the 37. I have confirmed with Scott and Hurley that this will work. Also, Hurley's customer service is really amazing. I sent measurements and pics that Scott took for me on an existing 37, and Hurley and I got on the phone and worked through all the details to make sure it'd work for me.

Newt
I like the Hurley and may end up doing the same. Videos show it works quick. Are you going to get the power version or just use the hand crank?
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:40 PM   #104
Veteran Member
 
City: Malletts Bay, Vermont
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
I like the Hurley and may end up doing the same. Videos show it works quick. Are you going to get the power version or just use the hand crank?
I think just the handcrank. I'm going to do a light AB alumina with a small motor, probably one of the electric ones. I've got a friend with the Hurley on his Cruisers and he hauls up a jet ski with the handcrank no problem. I figure, less to go wrong if no electricity required.
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 05:25 PM   #105
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
I think just the handcrank. I'm going to do a light AB alumina with a small motor, probably one of the electric ones. I've got a friend with the Hurley on his Cruisers and he hauls up a jet ski with the handcrank no problem. I figure, less to go wrong if no electricity required.
I feel the same way. Simpler the better.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:24 AM   #106
Senior Member
 
Doug_Snider's Avatar
 
City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In transit)
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 184
Is your hull out of the mold yet? Any pictures?
Doug_Snider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:01 PM   #107
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Snider View Post
Is your hull out of the mold yet? Any pictures?
Doug, Tye last pictures I got were dated 9/3 and the boat was not out of the mold yet. I sent a message last night requesting an update. In NMEA 2000 workshops this week, but will update when I get a reply. Thanks for asking.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:35 PM   #108
Veteran Member
 
City: Henry Island, WA
Vessel Name: Embark
Vessel Model: 38E Helmsman - #51
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 91
Smile We are looking forward to our new Helmsman 38E!

Hi Helmsman Fans..

We are brand new to this trawler forum as well as new Helmsman 38E owners. We are hull 51 and it’s scheduled for a May/June delivery.

Pretty pumped up about going on to our next chapter of cruising the Pacific Northwest. Our vessel (name tbd) will be customized for cruising Desolation, Broughtons, Inside Passage and up to SE Alaska. We are one-time veterans of the journey in our 27’ Seasport and needed something slightly bigger. 😊

I see some folks have listed their options, and we’re currently selecting the final details for our boat. She’ll be light gray, 380 hp, no generator, but solar with 4 house batteries and an extra freezer. Lots of options that need to be decided soon. Oh my… we’re having so much fun. And we still have more work to do on the Seattle additions, like a dinghy, and electronics.
She’ll be the first Helmsman stationed at Roche Harbor, WA.

We’re looking forward to early summer and start our new adventures!
-Tom
Tom-Jill-Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:16 PM   #109
FWT
Guru
 
City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Jill-Lilly View Post
Hi Helmsman Fans..

We are brand new to this trawler forum as well as new Helmsman 38E owners. We are hull 51 and it’s scheduled for a May/June delivery.

Pretty pumped up about going on to our next chapter of cruising the Pacific Northwest. Our vessel (name tbd) will be customized for cruising Desolation, Broughtons, Inside Passage and up to SE Alaska. We are one-time veterans of the journey in our 27’ Seasport and needed something slightly bigger. 😊

I see some folks have listed their options, and we’re currently selecting the final details for our boat. She’ll be light gray, 380 hp, no generator, but solar with 4 house batteries and an extra freezer. Lots of options that need to be decided soon. Oh my… we’re having so much fun. And we still have more work to do on the Seattle additions, like a dinghy, and electronics.
She’ll be the first Helmsman stationed at Roche Harbor, WA.

We’re looking forward to early summer and start our new adventures!
-Tom
Congratulations, and welcome.

Where will your extra freezer be installed?
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:30 PM   #110
Senior Member
 
Nancy n Larry's Avatar
 
City: Sequim
Vessel Name: M/V Waterhorse
Vessel Model: Awaiting a Helmsman 38E, Hull#52
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 109
We are Hull #52! So excited! It will be fun to follow your journey! Our vessel’s home port will be Kingston Washington. Looking forward to making your acquaintance! Also interested in where the extra freezer is going! Congrats!
Nancy n Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:48 PM   #111
Senior Member
 
Doug_Snider's Avatar
 
City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In transit)
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 184
Welcome aboard,

We’re Hull #50, to be christened “Alba Bella”. We’re meeting with Scott next week to go over some final details. We’ve met three Helmsman 38 owners here in Shelter Bay and in Anacortes. They have all been very helpful and made a lot of great suggestions. We’re looking at tender and electronics options. Scott suggested attending the Seattle Boat Show and looking at the latest options.

It’s nice looking at options and not a list of survey items to be fixed.
Doug_Snider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:54 PM   #112
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Jill-Lilly View Post
Hi Helmsman Fans..

We are brand new to this trawler forum as well as new Helmsman 38E owners. We are hull 51 and it’s scheduled for a May/June delivery.

Pretty pumped up about going on to our next chapter of cruising the Pacific Northwest. Our vessel (name tbd) will be customized for cruising Desolation, Broughtons, Inside Passage and up to SE Alaska. We are one-time veterans of the journey in our 27’ Seasport and needed something slightly bigger. 😊

I see some folks have listed their options, and we’re currently selecting the final details for our boat. She’ll be light gray, 380 hp, no generator, but solar with 4 house batteries and an extra freezer. Lots of options that need to be decided soon. Oh my… we’re having so much fun. And we still have more work to do on the Seattle additions, like a dinghy, and electronics.
She’ll be the first Helmsman stationed at Roche Harbor, WA.

We’re looking forward to early summer and start our new adventures!
-Tom
Welcome aboard! Congratulations on your new build. Certainly exciting to see new arrivals to the journey we are all on. You have certainly picked the right boat, in my opinion.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:51 AM   #113
Veteran Member
 
City: Henry Island, WA
Vessel Name: Embark
Vessel Model: 38E Helmsman - #51
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 91
Im sunk on the sink.

Thanks for the welcome.
Regarding the 2nd freezer – We prefer the best organic meats (which is hard to find cruising) and the need to store the monster salmon, halibut, prawns and dungies. I’ve spent and continue to spend a bunch of time on electrical budgets, driving options that are ready for future use, such as “generator ready”, prewired and plumbed. I left the gen set for another year as I believe after interviewing a dozen Helmsman, tug and trawler folks we wont be needing a generator if we balance everything else. That said, we opted for the gas stove, no aircon (PNW), and in the place of the generator I am considering a portable freezer. I didn’t want to take up the center cabinet for a 2nd freezer. Working with Scott I mentioned to place the 2nd in the engine room where the generator goes.. Electrical is already there. He appeared to like the idea and sent me his suggested model that should fit. The only concern I have is the heat in the engine room.. I didn’t ask him about that, so I only part time heat only when running. Also, this is a long term task as being portable I can add whenever in Seattle. I do need to figure out the electrical if I store it anywhere else, such as at the back of the boat (no real room) or on top (I don’t know if there is room, as our ding will be top side).
If you want a freezer for the cabinet, Gary gave me these to consider:

https://www.suremarineservice.com/Ga...F2600ACDC.html

https://www.suremarineservice.com/Ga...BH4C00000.html

If you want a portable freezer which can be a frig or freezer (wide range of temps) and can be easily removed if necessary (bring on board for long trips, and use this for chasing Tuna or other fishing runs to the coast via truck-camper), it can also functional as a refrigerator if your needs at any time favor that purpose:

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/vitr...-3-cu-ft/vf65p

Any thoughts or concerns as well as anyone have an idea of engine room temps?

This weekends selections.. deciding on fresh water on bow (I want to final rinse for salt removal and a clean windshield end of day) opting to then drop windshield washing, adding defrost heat (pacific NW cruising) for removing any condensation from the windows on rainy days (2 people and Lilly our lab breathing plus tea making and sous vide when shore power).

We are stuck on the sink and really the only way to figure that out is a tape measure and a 38. We wanted a dual sink and retain the side door to put trash/recycle bins, but if we get anything other than a single sink we will lose space as well as the side door (note we are not getting an ice maker). Which brings the question forward. Is anyone getting or have the 1 ˝ sink, or double sink in a 38? If so how do you manage trash/recycle, is there enough room? Do you like the dual sink application. Having a 1 ˝ should be able to save water during washing/rinsing. Use the left large for washing, the right for staging a rinse..

I know it might be overanalyzing this, but we live with what we decide for a very long time. Sink and counter tops isn’t something you change out easily.

Thanks, Tom
Tom-Jill-Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:38 AM   #114
Veteran Member
 
City: Berkeley
Vessel Name: Knowing Blue
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Snider View Post
Welcome aboard,

We’re looking at tender and electronics options. Scott suggested attending the Seattle Boat Show and looking at the latest options.

As for a dinghy, I inherited an AB Mares 10VSX when I bought my H38E, which came with a 20hp Tohatsu outboard. Loaded up the dinghy weighs close to 450lbs. The Mares 10 is actually 10'6" long, and with the outboard it just barely fits across the width of the upper deck—there is just an inch or two to spare. The Mares is a great dinghy--stable, comfortable, and planes easily. But it is heavier and a touch longer than I would have selected. If you are planning on keeping a RIB up top, but still want a planing dinghy that is good for exploring the PNW, and want a dinghy that is easy to position on top single-handed, my advice would be to go for something a touch lighter (perhaps an aluminum bottom w/o a center console), and a bit shorter--something closer to 10', so it isn't as much of a squeeze.
Two Truths is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:31 PM   #115
Veteran Member
 
City: Berkeley
Vessel Name: Knowing Blue
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 46
I have another question for Helmsman owners. I have never stern-tied (aka shore tied) before, and want to be prepared as we are hoping to be in Desolation Sound and the Broughtons next summer. I have already read the various older TF discussions on this topic, but I am curious about the experience of Helmsman owners, since storage plays a part in the decision making.

I am considering three options (but there may be others):
braided polypropylene line stored on a spool (seems the most common)
Ultraline flatrope on a dedicated wheel (expensive)
braided polypropylene line stored in a bag.
(I was drawn to the bag option by the following video: )

The Ultraline looks elegant, but it doesn’t seem a good fit for the Helmsman, as there is no obvious place to mount it. The bag option looks easiest to store, but I worry it might end up a tangled mess.

Also, I was thinking of 1/2” line; could I get away with 3/8”? And people suggest anywhere from 400’ to 600’. I am thinking of 600’ as I hope not to have to use it too often, but if I do need it I don’t want to suddenly find I am short. Your thoughts?
Two Truths is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:10 PM   #116
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Jill-Lilly View Post
Thanks for the welcome.
Regarding the 2nd freezer – We prefer the best organic meats (which is hard to find cruising) and the need to store the monster salmon, halibut, prawns and dungies. I’ve spent and continue to spend a bunch of time on electrical budgets, driving options that are ready for future use, such as “generator ready”, prewired and plumbed. I left the gen set for another year as I believe after interviewing a dozen Helmsman, tug and trawler folks we wont be needing a generator if we balance everything else. That said, we opted for the gas stove, no aircon (PNW), and in the place of the generator I am considering a portable freezer. I didn’t want to take up the center cabinet for a 2nd freezer. Working with Scott I mentioned to place the 2nd in the engine room where the generator goes.. Electrical is already there. He appeared to like the idea and sent me his suggested model that should fit. The only concern I have is the heat in the engine room.. I didn’t ask him about that, so I only part time heat only when running. Also, this is a long term task as being portable I can add whenever in Seattle. I do need to figure out the electrical if I store it anywhere else, such as at the back of the boat (no real room) or on top (I don’t know if there is room, as our ding will be top side).
If you want a freezer for the cabinet, Gary gave me these to consider:

https://www.suremarineservice.com/Ga...F2600ACDC.html

https://www.suremarineservice.com/Ga...BH4C00000.html

If you want a portable freezer which can be a frig or freezer (wide range of temps) and can be easily removed if necessary (bring on board for long trips, and use this for chasing Tuna or other fishing runs to the coast via truck-camper), it can also functional as a refrigerator if your needs at any time favor that purpose:

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/vitr...-3-cu-ft/vf65p

Any thoughts or concerns as well as anyone have an idea of engine room temps?

This weekends selections.. deciding on fresh water on bow (I want to final rinse for salt removal and a clean windshield end of day) opting to then drop windshield washing, adding defrost heat (pacific NW cruising) for removing any condensation from the windows on rainy days (2 people and Lilly our lab breathing plus tea making and sous vide when shore power).

We are stuck on the sink and really the only way to figure that out is a tape measure and a 38. We wanted a dual sink and retain the side door to put trash/recycle bins, but if we get anything other than a single sink we will lose space as well as the side door (note we are not getting an ice maker). Which brings the question forward. Is anyone getting or have the 1 ˝ sink, or double sink in a 38? If so how do you manage trash/recycle, is there enough room? Do you like the dual sink application. Having a 1 ˝ should be able to save water during washing/rinsing. Use the left large for washing, the right for staging a rinse..

I know it might be overanalyzing this, but we live with what we decide for a very long time. Sink and counter tops isn’t something you change out easily.

Thanks, Tom
We opted for the single sink. My wife wanted the counter space, and as she noted, much less dish washing on a boat anyway. While we will have dishes on the boat, we tend to use paper plates more. Will you have a water maker aboard?
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:11 PM   #117
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 861
One question that arises is the size of lines to get for the boat. I am thinking a half to 5/8”. What say the rest of you?
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:27 PM   #118
Guru
 
City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 6,144
5/8 should be good for dock lines. As far as paper plates, it's not worth it. The storage space and massive increase in trash greatly outweighs the pain of doing dishes in my book.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:51 PM   #119
Veteran Member
 
City: Henry Island, WA
Vessel Name: Embark
Vessel Model: 38E Helmsman - #51
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 91
watermakers dock lines and fenders

Hi Helmsman and RF.
The vessel comes with lines, fenders and among safety equipt, see your spec sheet. I'll buy extras when we get the boat if needed.
No water maker, as I don't see us using up 140 gals of water too often if at all and agree no paper plates, etc creates more garbage. We can use salt water if the plates messy for first rinse.
Tom
Tom-Jill-Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:16 PM   #120
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Jill-Lilly View Post
Hi Helmsman and RF.
The vessel comes with lines, fenders and among safety equipt, see your spec sheet. I'll buy extras when we get the boat if needed.
No water maker, as I don't see us using up 140 gals of water too often if at all and agree no paper plates, etc creates more garbage. We can use salt water if the plates messy for first rinse.
Tom
Probably a good thing regarding paper plates in the PNW. Out here in the east, you just aren’t that far away from a marina. Our experience with lines and fenders is to have 8 of each along with two fender balls, (all of which will need their own smaller lines). If I remember right, the number provided is less than that.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012