Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
David, ditto on FWT's post.
As a Helmsman repeat customer, I can recommend their trawlers.
Be happy to answer your questions, along with all the other proud owners.
Robert

Hi folks,
I'm new and way behind here but am thoroughly enjoying all the previous and current conversations. As I contemplate a new build and all my options (I am sold on Helmsman for craftsmanship, service and value) everyone's opinions and thought processes are invaluable. I think FWT just laid the foundation for my future boat. I can duplicate that build and be thrilled. Now I simply must decide between a 38 or 43. 380 or 480. I'd love additional input. Thank you all!

Welcome aboard David! You came to the right place to learn about the boats. My suggestion to determine whether a 38 or 43 is right for you would be to get on board both to compare. The Helmsman team can help with that.

While I have a 38, I have also spent a significant amount of time on a 43 in the Annapolis area. This 43 has a one stateroom layout that I really like. That boat, the Miss Ginny, and FWT’s boat are both featured on the Helmsman Trawler web site in the Customerization videos here. https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/trawler-talk/
If you haven’t watched those videos, I would certainly take some time looking at them. It is kind of amazing what the additional 5 feet does on the boat, in terms of storage, and salon and cockpit space.

Both boats are stable, reliable boats. They can both handle more seas than I can take. The selling feature for me is the reliability, the finishes, the storage, and the “useability” the boats offer. They really do look as good in person as they do in videos. With Helmsman’s commitment to quality and service, it makes owning one easy.

I have the 480 engine in my boat, the Mishy Jean. Either will work well, with the 480 running up to around 15 or 16 mph. I rarely use the extra HP, except to run the engine up for a few minutes occasionally when on a longer cruise. My wife wanted the larger engine, or I would have gone with the 380.

Feel free to post questions and thoughts as you move forward with your decisions!

Thanks for the kind responses. I absolutely will be utilizing your experience and knowledge as I attempt to gather knowledge and learn. The only thing better than thinking about or talking about boats is being ON boats (well almost the only thing). I discovered Trawler Forum through Greg, the east coast rep for Helsman. I am sure he is relieved that now I will ask the group all my questions and quit emailing him with every question or thought.

Actually he reps Helmsman not Helsman. Hope I dock better than I spell

I am curious. I only have a lifetime of experience in skiffs and twin center consoles doing very local and fishing offshore out of eastern NC. This summer my wife and I did a charter school out of Florid and she terms it pretty much as a disaster. Doesn't that stink?
I have only that experience with a single engine trawler and very much want to learn and start to develop skills. The knowledge and experience in this group is profound. I wonder if anyone has a recommendation for training. I am willing to travel to PNW but also Great Lakes and east coast would be easiest since we live on the east coast. I am currently considering trawlersgreatlakes.com. I would appreciate any advice to further my training as I pursue getting comfortable with a single engine larger boat. I am going to buy a boat and want to start to be prepared. Thanks all

DavidU:
Sorry to hear the Florida school wasn't a good experience.
The PNW is a fabulous place to cruise in the summer months. Beautiful country, lots of wildlife and convenient marinas. Of course, going north through BC and to SE Alaska is a journey you'll never forget!
I recommend Anacortes Yacht Charters for instruction on operating a trawler. Their classes can be tailored to fit your need and for instruction can provide an appropriate vessel. They are located in Anacortes WA.
Anacortes Yacht Charters
Our (me and spouse) training experience with a 100 ton licensed Captain working for AYC was superb. Sufficient class instruction time in various aspects of seamanship and hands on with a single screw trawler.
Other PNW boaters can provide additional suggestions for instruction in Anacortes or other locations.
Check out: https://www.youtube.com/@SVCSkallywags
Robert

David,

There was a recent post on the AGLCA forum regarding Great Lakes. They were very positively reviewed by people who used them. At the same time, I would have to give heavy consideration to something on the West Coast. That would be a neat change up from the East coast travel you might be doing more of.

David, in my opinion, once you decide what type of cruising you decide to do, find your boat and buy it. Know that it will be 20 times more “work” than a center console to maintain. Find as new of boat as you can afford. Find a boat with front and rear thrusters. Decide if you want to go on plane or be happy at 9 miles an hour. Get a “swift trawler “ if you want plane at 21 mph. (Beneteau Swift 30). Schools are nice. But there is no substitution for time on your boat. Go out 2-3 times a week. Practice docking. Backing in a slip is never easy. But with the right boat, it doesn’t need to be nerve wracking. I’m in CT with plenty of nice cruising spots within minutes from my marina. You’re invited to stop by in the spring for a few days. Or I can visit you on your boat. I’ve been boating only 6 years and have done the ICW 3 times. I’ve never grounded. I use Navionics and AquaMap for navigation. Period. Two active iPads plus a backup. With these two apps, it’s not easy to get in trouble if you pay attention to them and use them properly.
There’s going to be 10 people that disagree with some or all of what I’ve said.
I can tell you, this works very well with me.

Thanks for the responses. First, if this is not the appropriate place for my questions, please tell me. I am on the new start page because I am very interested in Helmsman. It is my leading choice and after reading so many posts I recognize this is a community which can be a huge benefit to me as I sort out my thoughts related to purchase/build and all that goes along with it. My wife and I will be east coast cruisers, perhaps the loop and hopefully also to Bahamas and Caribbean. After our experience this summer on an inadequate trawler for "charter school", my wife has been somewhat turned off to a "trawler". She needs to experience a "nice" boat. Unfortunately (well fortunately really) we bare boated a power cat in BVI in August and she loved it. She came away saying she could really do a power cat as our "bigger" boat. Any wife who says she wants any boat at all is alright in my book. Hence, we are looking and have looked at 40 to 45 foot power cats. I personally prefer trawlers. I love their looks, their efficiency and their sea keeping abilities. Slow is both of our preference so that's a non issue. Our plan is to back to back charter the 2 power cats we are interested in the spring. See our likes and dislikes of each. My thoughts related to another trawler school is I would really like for her to experience a good boat with nice features. I also want to build a resume which would allow me to bare boat charter 2 or 3 as part of the comparison process. I am 90% sold on a semi-displacement hull. Displacement hull has an appeal but the biggest con I see is the draft for ICW and loop, and she's pretty opposed to anything offshore for herself. I am most interested in a Helmsman, Nordic Tug and American Tug. I can bare boat all 3 somewhere in the country, but feel the need to additionally train in a single screw to feel comfortable and adequate to do so. I also feel I should have more experience in a single on my resume to charter. That's essentially why I asked about any recommendations related to training. I really do like the idea of the Pacific NW as I do see that as a destination in the future and know NOTHING about the area other than it's beauty and how many of you are up there thriving. That's kinda where we are. Just trying to figure it out. Thanks for any input. The entire process is entirely fun. We will train and charter in the coming year and who knows, maybe take the plunge when we know. When not in a bigger boat we will simply canal cruise Taylor's Creek in Beaufort, NC in my 20ft skiff to see which of you pass thru Beaufort Town Docks, Homer Smith, Beaufort Yacht Basin or Town Creek Marina. If any of you come thru, I'll be coming by to check out the most recent trawler in town and help with anything logistical I can. Thanks again for any of your thoughts

David,

A lot to unpack in your information-filled note. A few thoughts, all totally my own personal perspectives...

1) You will need to figure out what works for you. Individual experiences, skill levels, and aptitudes vary greatly. There are people who jump into a 40-50 ft boat as the first one in their lives and do just fine, and others who need a lot of practice to safely handle a runabout.

2) It sounds like you're just becoming familiar with the world of mid-size power cruisers. There are many, many options and possibilities out there beyond a power cat and the couple of models you mentioned. Before plunking down a sizable about of money, go to as many boat shows as you can and crawl around on different boats. The Seattle, Newport, and Annapolis shows will give you tremendous variety to explore, as well as any TrawlerFest you can get to.

3) It's one thing to be able to comfortably and safety handle a boat when sea states and weather conditions are fairly benign. It's a completely different situation when things get hairy. Though 95% of your boating may (hopefully will) be when things are calm and easy, it's the other 5% where experience and training make the difference between a merely mildly anxious situation that turns out OK, and a 'poor outcome.'

That doesn't mean you need to buy nothing smaller than a 75 ft Bering steel expedition yacht, but be mindful of when things get nasty. Everyone says they never go out in bad sea or weather conditions; it's not what you choose to go out in, but what you might sometimes get caught out in that matters. Bad endings on the water often happen when sea and weather conditions exceed either the ability of the skipper or the boat to safely handle. FWIW, the skills and experience of the skipper are almost always the rate-limiting factor; most boats can handle far more than the crew can.

4) Consider the old adage of 'buy the smallest boat you can afford and that suits your needs.' It's very tempting to buy the biggest boat your budget can stretch to. Especially when touring them at a boat show, marveling in the house-like spacious cabins. It's a completely different situation when you're trying to dock the thing in in cross-winds and opposing currents, drifting towards impending impact with something either hard and damaging (rock, piling) or someone else's expensive boat. Or the cost and effort of maintaining a bigger boat.

It totally depends on you and your skills and experiences. Think about if going from a 20 ft 2,000 lb center console to a 40 ft 30,000 lb trawler might be too big of a leap? Having a boat bigger than you feel comfortable handling usually isn't fun, and you might end up being reticent to take it out as often as you otherwise would something you do feel comfortable with.

5) Think about how and where you will use the boat. Inshore, offshore, protected waters, open ocean? How long do you plan to spend on it? How often will you have overnight guests? Will you keep it at a mooring and anchor out most of the time? Or at a slip and staying at marinas? That should guide you to what style and kinds of boats might be better suited for you.

Often things come up only after using a boat that weren't apparent at the boat show. Two things in particular, machinery access and deck space. Everything on a boat will need service or repair eventually. Make sure you can get to the engine and other machinery easily, without needing to hire a midget contortionist to crawl into tiny spaces inaccessible to normal sized humans. Likewise think about deck access to handle lines, fenders, fending off in locks, pushing off from hitting things, etc. Depending on your age and physical condition, make sure you can get to all parts of the boat easily and safety without having to be a ballet dancer precariously pirouetting on impossibly narrow spaces.

6) There is no substitute for experience. Chartering a boat is fine, but consider lessons and training. TrawlerFest usually has hands-on classes, though your actual on-water time will be short. Consider hiring a captain to teach you. It would be a relatively minor expense compared with the cost of a boat.

When you get your next boat, practice, practice, practice. Especially docking and close quarters maneuvering. Go someplace where you have room (and won’t accidentally hit anything) and practice touch-and-go approaches and docking, from all directions, with and against wind and current. Spend many hours, days, and weeks doing this. It’s like playing a musical instrument. The more you do it, the better at it and more comfortable you will be. Get to the point where using thrusters is optional and not necessary.

7) If you haven’t already done so, get a copy of David Pascoe’s terrific book on mid-sized powerboats:

https://www.davidpascoe.com/mid_size_power_boats_chapt6.htm

Most importantly of all, HAVE FUN! Boating is supposed to be all about fun, including the shopping experience. Drive the dealers and brokers crazy with questions and time spent crawling around boats.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Just bought the recommended book. Thanks for all your input.

David: Lots of good posts on your topic. My thoughts at the moment.
What I really like about the mid sized Helmsman trawlers is that they are roomy and spacious, compared to similar sized Nordhavens, which in my mind, are the only competition. Superb fit and finish, quality construction are constants in Helmsman.
We are moving up to the 46 because we are planning to cruise for longer periods up North, and will be equipped to contend with the various weather conditions up there.
Nick and others have really great points to consider for your search. In the final analysis, the trawler you choose should be one you think you can handle (ops, maintenance, cost) and should have enough space and comfort for the kinds of cruising you have in mind.
Good luck on your search and dream big!

There is a Helmsman 38 available for charter in Bellingham..ideal gateway to the San Juan and Canadian Gulf Islands. https://sanjuansailing.com/charter-detail/power/amyann/index.php?id=132
We have a 2007 Mariner 37 Seville Pilothouse which we bought in 2015. It is identical to the Helmsman 38's. It is not available for charter, but we can attest it is an ideal cruising boat for a couple, and is quite suitable for cruising to Alaska. We haven't done that but know a couple who have done that many times in sistership. ⛵⛵️��

Helmsman now also makes what they call the 31 Sedan, which for a number of years was sold as the Camano 31 -

https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/helmsman-trawlers/31-sedan/

It appears to have some nice improvements over the Camano - double berth, separate shower, cockpit hardtop. It might be an easier next step from a center console, easier to learn on and handle than a 30,000+ lb boat.

Thanks once again for the input. The 31 is a bit small and for us but I hadn't really ever looked at it and "what a great boat!" Just another example of the quality of Helmsman. I have looked at the 38 "Amy Ann" with San Juan and she has very limited availability remaining already for 2024. It's boats like her and others in the same size/displacement range I am going to train to allow us to bareboat. San Juan also has Nordic and American Tugs in the same size range which I may opt for post additional training. I recognize the adjustment to a larger heavier boat is a step up, hence preparing for it via training and all the experience I can gather, but I don't see buying a boat that doesn't meet my future needs to mitigate the size of the step. Ultimately we will end up in the 35 to 45 foot range, and while that is certainly a step, I see it as very doable with the proper preparation. My wife would prefer to train and charter to gain experience and finalize our wants/needs in the coming year. I don't disagree that this is a good plan and we plan to proceed accordingly, but if the right opportunity comes along....the best place to learn is on the vessel which is yours.

Thanks once again for the input. The 31 is a bit small and for us but I hadn't really ever looked at it and "what a great boat!" Just another example of the quality of Helmsman. I have looked at the 38 "Amy Ann" with San Juan and she has very limited availability remaining already for 2024. It's boats like her and others in the same size/displacement range I am going to train to allow us to bareboat. San Juan also has Nordic and American Tugs in the same size range which I may opt for post additional training. I recognize the adjustment to a larger heavier boat is a step up, hence preparing for it via training and all the experience I can gather, but I don't see buying a boat that doesn't meet my future needs to mitigate the size of the step. Ultimately we will end up in the 35 to 45 foot range, and while that is certainly a step, I see it as very doable with the proper preparation. My wife would prefer to train and charter to gain experience and finalize our wants/needs in the coming year. I don't disagree that this is a good plan and we plan to proceed accordingly, but if the right opportunity comes along....the best place to learn is on the vessel which is yours.

David

I'll chip with a few thoughts here.

First up, I think you really do have your head screwed on straight about all of this.

As for the conversion from center console to a trawler, I think its easier when things get broken down a bit. And I think I have the standing to make some observations because of my own background. I spent decades boating, mostly sail, then decades with no boat. My H38 is a return to boating after a long absence.

On the water in fair weather, its obviously all easy. You steer. And anything you get will have a full electronics package. You will know within feet of where you are and what's under you. Not like my old days. You will have an autopilot to hold the course. Nothing can be easier regardless of what boat you choose.

It gets trickier when docking and departing.

Absent some funky wind or current conditions, departing isn't hard. Get "marriage saver" radio headsets so you and the Mrs. can communicate. Calmly outline a plan of which docklines get released first to last. Who is doing what about bringing in fenders and cleanly coiling and stowing lines. In departing you have all of the time in the world to set a plan. Your very first try won't be apple pie perfect but in short order it will be. Way less than 10 tries and you are good to go, and will refine the teamwork quickly.

Docking is the harder part. I would advise its wise to invest in a day with a training captain on YOUR boat whenever you get it. Each will feel and handle a bit differently than the next. Helmsman provides some initial training and does this very well. By the time they are done you will be "good enough". If then on your own you pay attention to post-action review of what you can do to improve it next time, in short order you will improve from "good enough" to not bad with more instances of nailing it. If training isn't provided on YOUR boat, find it and hire it.

Teamwork and communication is again a key need. As soon as you can size up the dock slip discuss exactly which dockline needs to go on first, and so forth. Talk through the steps, then act. Don't begin then make decisions on the fly. Have a plan.

What is missing in the discussion is the boat systems and maintenance. This should not be underestimated. Trawlers are a quantum leap from a center console in this regard. Lots of systems. Lots to know about each. A lot of this is gear brand specific and boat builder specific. Your plan to charter is a great plan, but you will still have a lot to learn about systems on your own boat when you get it. One key resource for this is the boat builder if you buy new. Helmsman service post-sale can't be beat. Other builders can too, but some just toss you the keys and send you on your way once the purchase check clears. Getting something with an active and helpful owners base would a hidden positive.

There is a lot of maintenance and gear checks to be done. This is easier or harder depending on the boat. I've been aboard some brands at boat shows I couldn't figure out how to get to basic things if attention is needed. Others like the Helmsman are much easier.

Its doubtful that chartering will do much to prepare you for systems and maintenance. That's just a mountain to climb when you own it.

One last thing about the conversion from center cockpit. Docking. I came from sail. In sail you are backing it from a position in the cockpit at the stern. You can see with a glance to the inch just what your position is. You can see forward with a glance and see what your bow is doing. Now move to a trawler. Your position is 2/3 the way forward, and you have a cabin between you and your back corners. Sightlines and depth perception is different. The ability to step out onto a side deck to look is invaluable.

A trawler was a leap for me. I did it. You can too.

It will still be a leap on your own boat, just a bit smaller with charter experience.

My two cents

Your two cents are greatly appreciated and worth quite a lot more. I thank you for your input here and for sure in the future.

I went from a 21 foot walk around cuddy to this 44 foot Gypsy. Didn't even know how to start the engines when I bought it.

Broker had a captain that trained us for free.

Yeah, you will need training for sure, but it's fun and also verifies all the stuff works. I agree that the training needs to be done on your boat. Other boats are good for general stuff, but your boat is what needs learning.

Does anyone have opinions/preferences between San Juan Sailing and Yachting and Anacortes Yacht Charters. I know chanprr has utilized Anacortes previously and was pleased. I am currently looking to book a charter for training (hiring a captain for several days) and exposing ourselves to the PNW. We are planning around Trawlerfest and the Anacortes Boat Show May 16-18. So far my dealings have been positive with each. San Juan, while they do not have the Helmsman 38 available in that time frame, does have a Nordic 42 and and American Tug 435. The only single screw available from Anacortes is a Grand Banks 36. My wife prefers either tug over the Grand Banks (1973) so that is important too! Any thoughts are appreciated.

Does anyone have opinions/preferences between San Juan Sailing and Yachting and Anacortes Yacht Charters. I know chanprr has utilized Anacortes previously and was pleased. I am currently looking to book a charter for training (hiring a captain for several days) and exposing ourselves to the PNW. We are planning around Trawlerfest and the Anacortes Boat Show May 16-18. So far my dealings have been positive with each. San Juan, while they do not have the Helmsman 38 available in that time frame, does have a Nordic 42 and and American Tug 435. The only single screw available from Anacortes is a Grand Banks 36. My wife prefers either tug over the Grand Banks (1973) so that is important too! Any thoughts are appreciated.

I asked about the various charter companies on Cruisers Forum a while ago and the feedback for all of them was good. I ended up going with San Juan Sailing. I have never chartered up there before so others on here will likely be able to provide more details of their experiences. We have a North Pacific 49 reserved for later Spring and the company has been great answering all of my questions during the booking process.

The N42 and AT 435 are both great boats, so you can't go wrong with either of those choices.

Your plan on getting some formal instruction is smart. All of your prep and due diligence will pay off and will help confirm if this is something you and your wife will enjoy long term.

Last edited:
Booked. San Juan Sailing American Tug. We will attend at least a day or 2 of Anacortes Trawlerfest and Boat Show then cast off. Will have a captain for training the first 2 to 3 days, based on need/comfort level, ability to adapt. Then, even more exciting is returning to charter the Helmsman 38 the first week of September. Can’t wait

Booked. San Juan Sailing American Tug. We will attend at least a day or 2 of Anacortes Trawlerfest and Boat Show then cast off. Will have a captain for training the first 2 to 3 days, based on need/comfort level, ability to adapt. Then, even more exciting is returning to charter the Helmsman 38 the first week of September. Can’t wait

Dave: I'll look forward to meeting you at the Trawlerfest in Anacortes. In September, I'd be pleased to buddy with you as you explore the PNW waters.

Dave: I'll look forward to meeting you at the Trawlerfest in Anacortes. In September, I'd be pleased to buddy with you as you explore the PNW waters.

First, let me say thank you! We (well probably me most) are so pumped for the spring. We definitely look forward to meeting you and all the others who we might encounter at fest and show. So many Helmsman owners are obviously in PNW, so we hope to meet lots of folks who can advise us of much of the don’t miss and don’t do along our way. The boating community is so warm and that’s so appreciated, it’s where I can’t wait to spend the majority of my time. Thanks to all! Oh yeah, most important of all, the 46!! Can’t wait to see it! What a boat it is, you’ve got to be so excited!

Speaking of “warm”

We have a 2020 38e with a Webasto heater. We are in Seattle this weekend during what, by Seattle standards, is a cold snap. Nothing compared to most of the rest of the country.

But, we think we hit the thermal limits of the boat, as equipped, this weekend. This morning we woke up and the outside temp was 17 F, and ice had formed inside on the window frames. We had set the heat for 60 overnight and piled on the quilts and the heater struggled all night long. It took all morning just to get the interior temps to 64. Like almost all other boats out there, the windows are single pane with aluminum frames. And the very robust doors are metal as well. All conduct cold very efficiently.

Time for a more robust space heater when at the dock, and more layers for overnight on the water. As noted in an earlier post, the love of my life is notorious for this statement: “nothing in life is worth being cold for, and that includes you dear.” So “dear” needs to find ways to keep the boat warmer for the Thermal Princess! Ideas welcomed.

Brrrr! (Said the sissy from California)

Ps: we will get the boat out on the water tomorrow to limber up all the systems and take friends for a lunch in Winslow. Can’t wait for summer. But in the PNW, summer doesn’t show up until July 5th!

Fantastic humour, I love it!

Greeting

Pascal.

We have a 2020 38e with a Webasto heater. We are in Seattle this weekend during what, by Seattle standards, is a cold snap. Nothing compared to most of the rest of the country.

But, we think we hit the thermal limits of the boat, as equipped, this weekend. This morning we woke up and the outside temp was 17 F, and ice had formed inside on the window frames. We had set the heat for 60 overnight and piled on the quilts and the heater struggled all night long. It took all morning just to get the interior temps to 64. Like almost all other boats out there, the windows are single pane with aluminum frames. And the very robust doors are metal as well. All conduct cold very efficiently.

Time for a more robust space heater when at the dock, and more layers for overnight on the water. As noted in an earlier post, the love of my life is notorious for this statement: “nothing in life is worth being cold for, and that includes you dear.” So “dear” needs to find ways to keep the boat warmer for the Thermal Princess! Ideas welcomed.

Brrrr! (Said the sissy from California)

Ps: we will get the boat out on the water tomorrow to limber up all the systems and take friends for a lunch in Winslow. Can’t wait for summer. But in the PNW, summer doesn’t show up until July 5th!

That is chilly! We are expecting single digits for a day or so this week.

It was 27 this morning, and the ER was 43 degrees per a temp stick with water temps around 53 degrees. I also checked with a temp gun (outside temp 34 by then) which showed the walls in the shower and the head to be 41 and 39 respectively. That is without heat on, since the boat is winterized.

Follow up to this. Once temps got back to the mid 20’s the boat recovered the thermal range required by my spouse. Lesson here was be at the dock connected to power if it is really cold.

Some other observations: even with a dehumidifier keeping the boat close to 35% relative humidity, we still had a lot of condensation on the metal window frames, with pooling water in some spots. Life in a boat (breathing, cooking, showering) guarantees this I guess.

Second, what is with all these so-called rugged PNW boaters? Sunday was in the high 20’s and low 30’s, crystal clear, dead calm, and gorgeous views of Mount Rainier and the snow covered Olympics, with an amazing post card quality view of downtown Seattle. We were one of three boats on the water-all trawler style I might add-on what had to be the most beautiful winter day possible. Sheesh. We enjoyed the solitude with tens of thousands of boats sitting idle in their slips.

And our boat surely enjoyed the outing as much as we did.

Here’s to winter boating. Not miserable all the time.

Jeff: Glad to read you were out yesterday. The winter didn't prevent us from cruising, except on a couple of occasions when the docks were icy. If my 46 were here, I'd be out on days like yesterday. The Hood Canal was flat and a trip to Alderwood would have been delightful. According to Scott, the 46 should arrive in Seattle mid March 2024.
Condensation is a nuisance, so keep some rags handy to mop up the excess water along the window frames. The 46 will have metal frame windows, so I'm expecting the same issue in the cold season. Take care and be safe out there.

So, my boat is in its slip for January and February. She is winterized (just in time for the recent winter weather. I have a Temp Stick on board that reports temps and humidity on board. I moved it around during the cold snap. Bear in mind this is without running the heat, or having heaters on board, and doesn’t represent temperatures you would experience on the hard. The formatting would not translate. The order is location of reading, date, product used for temperature, the external temperature, and the internal temperature.

Temperature readings - Helmsman Trawler 38E

Engine Room 1/14/2024 Temp Stick 27 41
Engine Room 1/15/2024 Temp Stick 31 44
Engine Room 1/16/2024 Temp Stick 15 40
Engine Room 1/16/2024 Temp Stick 17 39
Engine Room 1/17/2024 Temp Stick 5 36
Engine Room 1/17/2024 Temp Stick 12 35.4
Inside Salon 1/17/2024 Temp Gun 24 32 Shower spigot Fitting
Inside Salon 1/17/2024 Temp Stick 24 36.1
Inside Salon 1/18/2024 Temp Stick 14 36.6 Sun shining on back of boat
Lazarette 1/19/2024 Temp Stick 26 41.3
Lazarette 1/19/2024 Temp Stick 18 32.9
Lazarette 1/20/2024 Temp Stick 11 26.7
Lazarette 1/20/2024 Temp Stick 12 26
Lazarette. 1/20/2024 Temp Stick 11 27.9

I took several readings using the Temp Gun in the living areas. The walls were
at or below freezing each time on the 19th and 20th using the temp gun.
The ER did not get below freezing. The lazarette is vulnerable, and are where water lines and the hot water heater reside on the 38 and also the water tanks on the 43. A heater may work there, but if there is a power outage these areas are vulnerable. The interior living places are also vulnerable.

Earlier in December, the temps got down to about 20 F and the water was around 49 F. During that period, I ran the heaters at 61 F and placed a small heater in the lazarette. That combination was sufficient to keep all systems safe.

Last edited:
Thanks for doing this. It confirms some of my own observations. If the boat is in the water, even at single digit outside temps (which we did not see on the water in Seattle’s cold snap), the engine room remains above freezing. The lazarette is the vulnerable spot. And yes, there are water lines and a water heater back there that can freeze.

This last trip I opened all the faucets to drain as much freshwater as I I could back to below the water line. That includes the outdoor shower. But short of emptying the water heater, I don’t see an alternative for the lazarette other than a small space heater.

Seattle has returned to its normal rainy self where I worry more about my dehumidifier and power to the boat than anything else.

Thanks again for this great summary.

Back
Top Bottom