Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The improvements look great. The Helmsman windows lend themselves to a lot of different window treatments. We’re wondering what people are doing for privacy covers for the head, shower and stateroom portlights. No problem on the hook but docked is a different story.

The improvements look great. The Helmsman windows lend themselves to a lot of different window treatments. We’re wondering what people are doing for privacy covers for the head, shower and stateroom portlights. No problem on the hook but docked is a different story.

That is a great question. I have been thinking about that, too. Finding opaque covers like the supplied screens for those port holes will be the ticket, but where to find them?

These are intriguing. They are made for particular portlight models or can be custom made from customer supplied dimensions. They come in translucent and blackout colors. They’re not cheap but afford an inobtrusive privacy solution. Since portlights aren’t view windows, the partial obscuration isn’t an issue. We ordered a free sample and are impressed with the quality and simplicity.

Does anyone know the make and model portlights used on Helmsman Trawlers?

https://www.zarcor.com/products/clozures/index.php#gal-image-

Laugh if you like, but an opaque shower cap does the job just fine! We saw this as one of the clever "hacks" at the Rendezvous.

Great idea. The price is certainly right, and buying a few is far easier than making the Sunbrella ones.

We are the ones with the shower caps. We are using them until we can get the custom shades mentioned above. The only problem is that the port window in the shower is too big for the shower caps.

Oil change schedule

Yippee - Just passed our 100 hour milestone on our cummins 6.7 with zero issues.

Heres an interesting find. The manual says change oil at 250 hours, BUT if you strictly using Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel, then you can change at 500 hours.

I never heard that. I can only assume that all US and Canadian diesel is Ultra Low Sulfur.

Interesting, GM doesn’t say the same thing for my Diesel Truck (10k instead of 5k miles)?

The manual doesn’t say why, any idea how I can find out why, and should I change at 250 or 500?

I cant find anything on the web.

I asked Cummins in Everett, they just sent me a photocopy of the same page on the manual.

What is everyone else doing?

I followed the recommended engine maintenance schedule from Cummins, and will follow the Jonn Deere engine maintenance recommendations after I take delivery of the 46 this Fall. Most, if not all diesel fuel these days is low sulfur.
Regular maintenance also included replacing engine zincs, transmission zinc, fluid and filter. I found that the engine zincs on the QSB 6.7 lasted anywhere from 6-9 months and the transmission zinc lasted just 2 months.

Yippee - Just passed our 100 hour milestone on our cummins 6.7 with zero issues.

Heres an interesting find. The manual says change oil at 250 hours, BUT if you strictly using Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel, then you can change at 500 hours.

I never heard that. I can only assume that all US and Canadian diesel is Ultra Low Sulfur.

Interesting, GM doesn’t say the same thing for my Diesel Truck (10k instead of 5k miles)?

The manual doesn’t say why, any idea how I can find out why, and should I change at 250 or 500?

I cant find anything on the web.

I asked Cummins in Everett, they just sent me a photocopy of the same page on the manual.

What is everyone else doing?

That is interesting. I think having the oil tested at the first oil change would be good to establish a base line. I typically change oil annually, but have not gotten to 500 hours in a year, so within tolerances for the guideline.Next year may be different. We plan to head to the Gulf, south Florida, and the Bahamas. We had planned to start this year, but have decided getting used to the boat is a better use for this year. We will do some more Tennessee River traveling the rest of the year.

Height measurement needed for Mariner 37 PH Seville

Hi Helmsman / Mariner fans: I'm looking into a new winter storage location. Does anyone know the exact height of a Mariner 37 PH Seville when on the hard. My boat is going to be moved on a trailer and needs to get under power lines. I am assuming Helmsman and Mariner are identical. The new boats being delivered lately hopefully have some shipping numbers.
If the bow is kept low, can the windshield stay on or need to be removed.?
Thanks
Barrie

Custom Helmswomen port covers

christine.jpg
We are the ones with the shower caps. We are using them until we can get the custom shades mentioned above. The only problem is that the port window in the shower is too big for the shower caps.

Our first summer on our new Helmsman, EmBark, has been a wonderful adventure. We’re exploring new beautiful places in the Pacific Northwest and learning tons about the boat.

After reading the posts regarding stateroom curtains for the portholes we started to understand. The farther north we go the sun has decided to stay out later and get up earlier. 4:00 am is just a bit too early for me. So, without curtains, I became obsessed with trying to find something to block out the light. I tried towels, pillows and once in desperation Tom’s sweatshirts. Since I am not very handy with a needle and thread and Tom has this great aversion to screwing anything into the boat, we have just cruised by with make do solutions.

We’re now far above Cape Caution cruising further north and it has become very desolate where the bears out number people. We arrived at this once thriving pulp mill town, now part ghost town, that employed over 3,500 people but now has only 25 full-time residents called Ocean Falls. The dam above the town was amazing considering it was built in the early 1900s. It had a post office, courthouse, Bed & Breakfast and gift shop. Tom wandered over to the B&B to get some ice cream and I went into the gift shop. This is where Lilly and I meet Christina as she was hand-quilting a baby blanket for a friend. We strike up a conversation about how inept I am and how beautiful her quilt is and then I told her about our dilemma with the portholes. She said she could make us a few window coverings for our boat. Just like that out of nowhere in this remote paradise, our problem was solved.

The next day she arrives at our boat with 4 port hole coverings on the theme of Patti’s shower cap design. They are beautiful and fully functional, blocking out the light. WOW!!! Thank you, Christina.

A new Lilly-customer-approved Helmsman source, you too could have custom window coverings by either visiting Christina in Ocean Falls along the northern British Columbia coast. Simply embark on your Helmsman and come north to 52deg 21.169’N, 127deg 41.886’W. Or by calling her at 250-289-3382. She already has the dimensions and pattern. You also won’t have to worry about fabric or colors since she has enough fabric to start her own store.

Jill and Lilly

Attachments

• ocean falls.jpg
    ocean falls.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230712_155436.jpg
    20230712_155436.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230712_155431.jpg
    20230712_155431.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230712_155419.jpg
    20230712_155419.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 14
Outstanding, Jill. Ordering them now! Leave it to you guys to find this stuff for the rest of us.

Thanks. Glassy calm seas.

Jeff

Outstanding, Jill. Ordering them now! Leave it to you guys to find this stuff for the rest of us.

Thanks. Glassy calm seas.

Jeff

Have any of you experienced Helmsman envy?

After several trips to island moorages and remote anchorages, we’re off on a ten day cruise to busy marinas with our yacht club. We’ll be stopping in five ports in Puget Sound. We just arrived in Oak Harbor and have already had several boaters drop by just to tell us they love the boat. Some know about the Helmsman line but had never seen one up close. The owner of the boat in the slip next to us said having a Helmsman docked next to him was some kind of an omen that a Helmsman might be in his future. It’s very gratifying to hear other boaters agree with our selection. It’s also a great conversation starter. We love explaining how we arrived at the Helmsman 38E and telling the saga of Alba Bella’s circuitous journey to her home berth.

Let me know if you’ll be swinging by Tacoma Yacht Club and I’ll join you with a bottle of wine…

Cheers
Scott MacLeod

spare parts - paint

Back a while I shared my long list of spare parts on this string. One of those not listed at the time was Cummins engine paint.

The paint on the engine is a bit delicate, step on, set something on, wrench a nut and the paint comes off.

If you want yours to stay new, you might order this.. spray can of white paint from Cummins 4918660.

Prices and availability differ, shipping costs etc.. see below

https://www.amazon.com/Cummins-4918660-Marine-Cloud-White/dp/B07Z7FWJZM

https://www.marinepartsexpress.com/cart/index.php?ID=4918660

Attachments

• paint landscape.jpg
    paint landscape.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 18
Anchoring etiquette - another checklist

Do you really need a checklist for anchoring?

On our way north through BC, we anchored in Pruth Bay at the Hakai Conservancy. It was blowing a little and we anchored with 25 knots winds in 40 feet with a mud bottom in a bay all to ourselves. Set out 5:1 a bit over 200 feet of chain on our oversized Vulcan. It had been a long day so I took a nap knowing we had a solid set. Only to wake up and look out the front windows at this 50 ft boat anchored only 2 boat lengths in front of us right over our anchor. Every time I look at it, it seemed that red, white and blue flag on the stern was getting bigger and bigger.

But its a good thing - we wanted company in this big empty secluded empty bay.

As we cruised toward shore in our dingy, we stopped to chat with the larger vessel in front of us before departing for the fabulous beaches there. I told him that sometimes I have a hard time judging distance too and asked how far he thought he was in front of us and how much rode he had out. He didn't know. I suggested the possibility he haul up his anchor and move since I believe he was over ours. He said he thought he was fine. I then told him we were leaving at 7 am and he replied he was an early riser.

When we started to pull up our anchor the next morning at 7:30, he didn’t appear to be up yet. With the Cummins humming a deep throat, we slowly moved forward, now only 2' from his stern with our chain still pulling forward underneath his boat. I looked hard at the horn switch and looked at those new shiny air horns pointing directly at his stateroom, smiled and fought the urge.

After a few minutes, his wife emerged and went back to wake him him up. After staring at our rode, he started his engines and ran his bow thrusters to “move out of our way”. His boat moved to the side and I ran forward getting the anchor up luckily without it being wrapped on his chain.

Well sure enough, we did the same thing ten days later.

We anchored right in front of someone without even knowing it. But this time he wasn’t an American 50’ boat. This one was Canadian and much bigger with ground speeds of over 30 knots and water navigation skills better than ours.

Emerging from the tall grass he just shook his head and said “Ohhhh look at that American anchoring too close to me. I’m about done with my salad and ready for my main course. A helmsman, medium rare please. I’ll invite my girlfriend to join me and will serve bullfrog dingy for dessert.”

Guess we really do need an anchoring checklist.

Adding a line to the checklist:
ANCHOR: look behind before we drop :)socool:)

Capt Tom

Attachments

• bear long.jpg
    bear long.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 18
  • bears.jpg
    bears.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 27
Alls well that ends well! Add yelling “hey bear!!” To your dinghy anchoring check list too. Nice story, Tom.

Who does not know how much rode they have out? Isn’t that the thing we all obsess about? Well, one of many things we obsess about I guess.

Keep sending the stories.

Jeff

Pruth Bay, a beautiful place but gets very busy. Chose to move once because a very large sailboat anchored close enough that I felt I couldn't sleep peacefully that night. Pruth Bay, a must stop! Walk the trail to the white sand beach on the Queen Charlotte Sound!

wolf

Pruth Bay, a beautiful place but gets very busy. Chose to move once because a very large sailboat anchored close enough that I felt I couldn't sleep peacefully that night. Pruth Bay, a must stop! Walk the trail to the white sand beach on the Queen Charlotte Sound!

Yes a bit popular, considering we have only seen one boat in the last four days up in Mussel Inlet and Poison Cove.

And yes Pruth is a must-stop for everyone. A place you take photos and leave only footprints.

Lilly picked up on a scent and followed his prints from the woods to the beach. His footprints were huge! My what big feet you have!, said Ms. Lilly Red Riding Hood.

7 beaches and trails - You can spend a lifetime cruising BC and Alaska. SO much and so little time - but this is definitely the anchorage we are planning to return to on the way back down..

(photo credit to our new friend John Devin - add another dingy checklist - take camera)

Attachments

• wolf on purth bay.jpg
    wolf on purth bay.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 21
On our way back in August 2022, we stopped again, but the weather was a bit drippy!! Planning to return to Pruth on our planned 2024 cruise to BC and SE Alaska.

Attachments

• IMG_5837.jpg
    IMG_5837.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5845.jpg
    IMG_5845.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 14
We’re not out in the wilds of B.C. or Alaska but we’re having a great time doing a cruise with friends to Oak Harbor, Everett, Poulsbo, Bremerton and Kingston. We had a little wind on the dock in Oak Harbor last night so we moved a potluck dinner aboard Alba Bella. We had a comfortable sit down dinner for ten in the salon and pilothouse. What an amazingly accommodating boat.

Hi Helmsman / Mariner fans: I'm looking into a new winter storage location. Does anyone know the exact height of a Mariner 37 PH Seville when on the hard. My boat is going to be moved on a trailer and needs to get under power lines. I am assuming Helmsman and Mariner are identical. The new boats being delivered lately hopefully have some shipping numbers.
If the bow is kept low, can the windshield stay on or need to be removed.?
Thanks
Barrie

I thought for sure I had notes on this as we had the same issue qualifying winter storage options, but this diagram is all I could find. We store with mast, bimini, and antennas down and are quite a bit lower than many others in our building.

Attachments

• Escape side view diagram B-W with bimini.jpg
    Escape side view diagram B-W with bimini.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 17
A new Lilly-customer-approved Helmsman source, you too could have custom window coverings by either visiting Christina in Ocean Falls along the northern British Columbia coast. Simply embark on your Helmsman and come north to 52deg 21.169’N, 127deg 41.886’W. Or by calling her at 250-289-3382. She already has the dimensions and pattern. You also won’t have to worry about fabric or colors since she has enough fabric to start her own store.

Great story! We are in the same place (portlight cover-wise), but I have already bought the Sunbrella fabric and elastic and cut everything to size, but have stalled at the sewing machine. I'd buy those in a heartbeat if we weren't already so far down the path. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom