Old 10-12-2022, 06:43 AM   #961
Guru

City: New England
Vessel Name: Culmination
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Sedan
What a beautiful boat Doug! Congratulations, and wishing you many years of fun use!
Old 10-12-2022, 11:40 AM   #962
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Name: Mishy Jean
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Our completion photos arrived yesterday. Here are a couple of pics. You can see the true craftsmanship that is put into everything about the boat. We are really happy with the way it turned out and really like the lighter settees and counter top. The planned arrival is set for late November.

I still need to get on a recently built 38e to look at the electronics cabling and positioning of the various pieces. While I have decided what I think would work best, being able to measure some wire and antenna runs would be extremely helpful.

Since this is an "east coast boat" with HVAC and a gennie, we opted for the induction stove top and microwave set up. in other words, we will not have propane on board. We also do not have the Webasto diesel heaters. We don't think that will be an issue other than possibly very early in the season when we leave the boat up north over the winter while underway on the great loop. We will also have an electric grill and additional fridge up top. They are part of a cabinet across from the settee.
Attached Thumbnails
Galley.jpg   Hull.jpg   Salon.jpg  
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 11:55 AM   #963
NSM
Veteran Member

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: Hold Fast
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43E
Really clean looking boat. Stoked for you guys.
NSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 12:06 PM   #964

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (Home at last )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Our completion photos arrived yesterday. Here are a couple of pics. You can see the true craftsmanship that is put into everything about the boat. We are really happy with the way it turned out and really like the lighter settees and counter top. The planned arrival is set for late November.
Your boat looks beautiful. We’re as excited to see your boat out of the nest as we are to see ours ready to ship. We also went the no propane route and our salons look very similar.

The ship that’s carrying Alba Bella to Seattle docked in Xiamen yesterday and we expect it to leave Shanghai on Sunday.

I noticed in our photos and yours that there is a metal fitting or device on the underside of the cockpit overhead at the centerline of the aft edge. I haven’t seen that in other Helmsman photos and was curious what it might be.
Doug_Snider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 12:15 PM   #965
Guru

I am pretty sure that it is a light. Which will come in handy. I want to have a camera back there somewhere, so having a light back there will be handy.
Old 10-12-2022, 12:30 PM   #966
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Looking sharp Helmsman!
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 02:26 PM   #967

City: Henry Island, WA
Vessel Name: Embark
Vessel Model: 38E Helmsman - #51
Wow, how exciting. Congratulations!!! Keep us updated on the progress.
Tom-Jill-Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 06:55 PM   #968
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Looks fantastic Helmsman.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:44 PM   #969

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Kiskadee
Vessel Model: Helmsman 46 Hull#1
We know just how you feel about the finish. Absolutely beautiful. Just wait until you step on board for the first time. Congratulations.
chanprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 12:31 AM   #970

City: Sequim
Vessel Name: M/V Waterhorse
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E, Hull#52
Helmsman! Fantastic! Nice ride for sure! Can’t wait to follow your adventures. For the moment we must live vicariously through your eyes! Congratulations
Nancy n Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:43 AM   #971
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Question about the Helmsman:

Are all the Helmsman boats full displacement, slow speed trawlers, or do some have some speed capability to get up on plane? All single engine?

Thx
Old 10-13-2022, 07:54 AM   #972
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post

Are all the Helmsman boats full displacement, slow speed trawlers, or do some have some speed capability to get up on plane? All single engine?

Thx

All of the models I know of are semi-displacement and single engine. The 31 is basically the old Camano 31, so it'll definitely exceed hull speed by a decent margin. Most of the other models will exceed hull speed, but they're fairly slow SD hulls and won't plane, so especially with the standard engines, they're not fast by any means. None of them will cruise in the mid teens unless you add rocket boosters.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 08:04 AM   #973
Guru

Quote:

Thx
The 38 and 43 are both single engine boats. I put the 480 hp version of the QSB in mine. The Helmsman folks suggested adding trim tabs for the additional HP. So the bow would probably lift out of the water without them at higher RPM’s. (the higher HP engine was my wife’s requirement to outrun storms, etc., I wasn’t interested in the additional speed it could provide). If I had wanted a planing boat, I would have gone a different direction.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:13 AM   #974
Guru

City: New England
Vessel Name: Culmination
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Sedan
Quote:

Thx
I spent a lot of time talking about and looking into this. As others have opined, Helmsman boats are not planing hulls. However, they are on the semi-displacement spectrum (flat aft sections in the hull, somewhat similar to some Maine-built 'downeast' designs such as Wilbur). I've been told that the 38, when fitted with a 480 hp engine, can reach 16 knots.

The design target of my 38 Sedan (currently being built), with a 550 hp engine, is to be able to achieve 15-17 knots.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:22 AM   #975
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick14 View Post
I spent a lot of time talking about and looking into this. As others have opined, Helmsman boats are not planing hulls. However, they are on the semi-displacement spectrum (flat aft sections in the hull, somewhat similar to some Maine-built 'downeast' designs such as Wilbur). I've been told that the 38, when fitted with a 480 hp engine, can reach 16 knots.

The design target of my 38 Sedan (currently being built), with a 550 hp engine, is to be able to achieve 15-17 knots.
With the 480 that number seems right to me. The variable is that occurs with a clean hull and running gear, according to a couple of earlier discussions.
Old 10-13-2022, 11:56 AM   #976

City: Ottawa, Canada
Vessel Name: GYPSY
Vessel Model: Mariner 37 PH aka Helmsman 38
Well done Helmsman: Looks beauty! We look forward to your visit in Gananoque Ontario when you do the loop. We are open all year - June to August
Barrie
Barrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 12:00 PM   #977
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
Well done Helmsman: Looks beauty! We look forward to your visit in Gananoque Ontario when you do the loop. We are open all year - June to August
Barrie
Will put that in the planner!
Old 10-13-2022, 12:08 PM   #978
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
On that same note, let me know if you're stopping into Rochester on your loop and we'll make sure to say hi!
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 01:21 PM   #979
Guru

Will do!
Old 10-13-2022, 04:40 PM   #980
Veteran Member

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: Paradigm Lost
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Our completion photos arrived yesterday...
Wow! Another real beauty! Congrats!
Nancy and Rick is offline   Reply With Quote