Old 09-18-2022, 06:21 PM   #881
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulicjump View Post
On the ePropulsion unit I got the short shaft. We are going to give it and the Takacat a full test run tomorrow. If there are any big issues, I will report back. All I can say is that having a smaller/lighter dingy on the flybridge has been great. Two days ago when I was cleaning the upper deck I just tipped it up on its side and leaned it against the railing while cleaning the deck. And when we land on a beach tomorrow we will just lower the wheels and one of us will walk it up above the tide line. And we too use a dingy to get someplace and less to explore it. That is what the Eddyline kayaks on Magma racks off the flybridge railings are for (to start another thread…it’s a cool look).
We’re you able to get out on the Takacat? Would be good to get a little feedback, if so. Thanks.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 07:53 PM   #882

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In construction)
Accessory questions for Helmsman 38E be

It looks like our Helmsman Trawlers 38E is nearing completion in the factory. While we have been waiting, we have been researching accessories we will need. Not having the boat here to verify measurements makes some items difficult to select. We would appreciate any suggestions from Helmsman owners on these items:

1. Rail mounted flag poles and holders (Boat deck aft top rail and bow pulpit rail) Top rails are 1 1/4" OD.
2. Stern tie reel (Starboard side staple mounted)
3. TV Mounts and TV size for fold down TV cabinet option (Salon and stateroom)
4. Master shower curtain and rod
Doug_Snider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:24 PM   #883
Veteran Member

City: Berkeley
Vessel Name: Knowing Blue
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E
Doug--we don't have a TV or a shower curtain/rod (which we don't find necessary), so can't help you there. I couldn't figure out a good place to mount a stern tie reel. So following a recommendation I found somewhere online, I flaked our line (all 600' of 1/2" polypropylene line) into an Ikea bag (dirt cheap on Amazon). It works great, and is probably even easier and quicker to deploy and retrieve than using a reel. It also stores easily in the lazarette.
Two Truths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 11:42 PM   #884
Veteran Member

City: Davis, California
Vessel Name: Off Leash
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38e
Update on Takacat

Sorry for the delay in this report. We took our Takacat 300 LX and ePropulsion Spirit 1.0 short shaft out for a full test yesterday. Great boat and motor combo for point A to point B stuff, although very close quarters work with a 2 year old hanging over the bow with a net trying to sample marine invertebrates and algae was a good challenge. The ability to poke in and out of tight spaces silently and with only a twist of the tiller for forward and reverse was worth gold to this kid with her grandmother’s death grip on the pfd.

A couple of pertinent observations. First the dingy. 1) the Takacat is a breeze to launch from the flybridge because it weighs so little. We have the smallest crane/davit Helmsman puts on, I believe, and it was a piece of cake to launch and retrieve. I built my own sling out of four NRS cam straps, ss quick release buckles, and a heavy ring. 2) The best selling point about this dingy is its stability. You can literally stand on one tube without tipping it over. Great for getting people in and out. 3) While the LX is definitely dog friendly for landings, in retrospect I think the 300S is a better choice. It is drier and has a well-defined forward compartment. I have no regrets about choosing the LX—better for dogs—but would lean toward the S. 4) it took me 15 minutes (using a 12v blower) to set the dinghy up. It took me about half an hour to take it down and get it into its bags. You really have to get all the air out of the tubes to successfully put “the toothpaste back in the tube” with this challenge to the second law of thermodynamics. But I did put it all away and it is neatly stacked on the flybridge and will go under the canvas covers shortly.

The ePropulsion observations. 1) I got the short shaft. Looking at the ePropulsion documentation, I wonder if the extra short shaft might not be the better option. Please check this carefully. I think my shaft is too long (no snarky comments even though you are all thinking them). 2) this is a step up from the Torqeedo. It is much quieter, faster, and goes farther. It is not as solid a build as the Torqeedo (things seem cheaper in build and design), and it does not track your SOG, but overall I am very pleased with the choice. Easy to set up and take down and zips around just fine. I got the bags for the ePropulsion shaft and battery, but have come to the conclusion that if you are storing it on your boat, these are not necessary and may even be problematic because they add a lot of bulk. Great if you plan on carrying the motor lots of places. Otherwise, not so great.

That is my report. Apologies for the length. The Takacat/ePropulsion combo is not for everyone. It does a great job of poking around marinas and going to shore while at anchor. Not great for long trips in rough water.

Jeff

A rising tide floats all boats, which is a pretty good reason to get a boat.
Hydraulicjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 09:46 AM   #885
Guru

Quote:
Sorry for the delay in this report. We took our Takacat 300 LX and ePropulsion Spirit 1.0 short shaft out for a full test yesterday. Great boat and motor combo for point A to point B stuff, although very close quarters work with a 2 year old hanging over the bow with a net trying to sample marine invertebrates and algae was a good challenge. The ability to poke in and out of tight spaces silently and with only a twist of the tiller for forward and reverse was worth gold to this kid with her grandmother’s death grip on the pfd.

A couple of pertinent observations. First the dingy. 1) the Takacat is a breeze to launch from the flybridge because it weighs so little. We have the smallest crane/davit Helmsman puts on, I believe, and it was a piece of cake to launch and retrieve. I built my own sling out of four NRS cam straps, ss quick release buckles, and a heavy ring. 2) The best selling point about this dingy is its stability. You can literally stand on one tube without tipping it over. Great for getting people in and out. 3) While the LX is definitely dog friendly for landings, in retrospect I think the 300S is a better choice. It is drier and has a well-defined forward compartment. I have no regrets about choosing the LX—better for dogs—but would lean toward the S. 4) it took me 15 minutes (using a 12v blower) to set the dinghy up. It took me about half an hour to take it down and get it into its bags. You really have to get all the air out of the tubes to successfully put “the toothpaste back in the tube” with this challenge to the second law of thermodynamics. But I did put it all away and it is neatly stacked on the flybridge and will go under the canvas covers shortly.

The ePropulsion observations. 1) I got the short shaft. Looking at the ePropulsion documentation, I wonder if the extra short shaft might not be the better option. Please check this carefully. I think my shaft is too long (no snarky comments even though you are all thinking them). 2) this is a step up from the Torqeedo. It is much quieter, faster, and goes farther. It is not as solid a build as the Torqeedo (things seem cheaper in build and design), and it does not track your SOG, but overall I am very pleased with the choice. Easy to set up and take down and zips around just fine. I got the bags for the ePropulsion shaft and battery, but have come to the conclusion that if you are storing it on your boat, these are not necessary and may even be problematic because they add a lot of bulk. Great if you plan on carrying the motor lots of places. Otherwise, not so great.

That is my report. Apologies for the length. The Takacat/ePropulsion combo is not for everyone. It does a great job of poking around marinas and going to shore while at anchor. Not great for long trips in rough water.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff.

I purchased the T300LX. And the ePropulsion 1.0 Spirit. I got the short shaft, because I wasn’t sure the extra short shaft would absolutely work. Yep, jokes could abound, I guess. Anyway, I appreciate the report back, and it seems that the dinghy will serve our purposes well.

Our primary concern with a dinghy, was that we did not want to store up top, because we will use that area to entertain and hang out.

We use our dinghy for ship to shore, and won’t explore a lot, though we will use it for that when we want to.

The dinghy will be on the stern, and with the 5’2” width, will just fit with the davit system we already have. The weight of the dinghy and motor will allow for manual deployment and stowing, precluding a motorized winch, while allowing us older folks to deploy easily. The pontoons make the switch to electric a little easier, in that the dinghy will have sufficient speed for us. And we won’t have to store gas on board, or have to remember to fill that tank.

Our boat will have a dual use. We plan to do the loop, so for coastal and ICW travel it should work well, in a rather benign cruising ground. We do plan a Bahamas trip (or two) in the next couple of years. The second use will be our home port on the Tennessee River, which we will spend more time at after the loop. When we do have it more full time on the Tennessee, the ease of being able to stow the dinghy for weeks at a time in its bag, will be an added benefit to us, as we find we didn’t use the dinghy too often on day trips on our other boat.

Two issues I have tripped across with these dinghies is that the PVC version will not last as long as the Hypalon version. The Hypalon is about double the cost of the PVC version per the dealer I spoke with. The flip side is that you can replace sections of the boat if they fail. Both the Hypalon and the PVC have glued seams as opposed to welded seams. The reasoning for this is that the welded seams harden and tend to break in storage. The downside to the glue is that it is sensitive to heat. So, a cover is important to lower the direct sunlight on the dinghy. Chaps were also suggested, but that seems like overkill. Defender has the dinghy on sale through today for about $300 off.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:14 AM   #886

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Kiskadee
Vessel Model: Helmsman 46 Hull#1
Yes, I will be starting a new thread on the 46, in late October. The thread will be titled ‘The New Helmsman 46’.
chanprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 11:46 AM   #887
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanprr View Post
Yes, I will be starting a new thread on the 46, in late October. The thread will be titled ‘The New Helmsman 46’.

I appreciate you doing that. It will be great to hear about the build and the decisions you make with it. Exciting times!
Old 09-19-2022, 01:32 PM   #888
Guru

Quote:

I got the short shaft. Looking at the ePropulsion documentation, I wonder if the extra short shaft might not be the better option. Please check this carefully. I think my shaft is too long (no snarky comments even though you are all thinking them).

Jeff

Hey Jeff, I spoke with a dealer who sells both the Takacat and the ePropulsion a few minutes ago. He said that in his opinion, the short shaft is the way to go. He said the extra short shaft cavitates at about 3/4 power which he described as annoying. He said that if a customer wants the extra short shaft, that they should buy the cavitation plate (which costs about $100) to limit the noise. He didn't feel like the cavitation had a marked effect on performance, but was annoying. Nate
Old 09-19-2022, 10:53 PM   #889
Veteran Member

Glad you checked in on that. So my "short shaft" is good enuf then. I do have to say, we both remarked how well it ran at WOT compared to the Torqeedo and how dry it would be because the short shaft brings the bow up a bit when you are going fast-ish (there is no fast in an electric motor of this size, just variations of slow-ish).

And to reiterate my report of last night, I set the dingy up in 15 minutes and took it apart in 1/2 hour (and will get better at this with time). It really is pretty slick to just stow the dingy when you don't need it and want the flybridge space instead.

Old 09-20-2022, 04:48 AM   #890
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Snider View Post
It looks like our Helmsman Trawlers 38E is nearing completion in the factory. While we have been waiting, we have been researching accessories we will need. Not having the boat here to verify measurements makes some items difficult to select. We would appreciate any suggestions from Helmsman owners on these items:

1. Rail mounted flag poles and holders (Boat deck aft top rail and bow pulpit rail) Top rails are 1 1/4" OD.
Doug, Here is a video of the stern tie using a bag, as opposed to a reel that Two Truth’s posted about.

I, too, would like to know the cabinet dimensions of the TV cabinet and what size TV works there.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:52 PM   #891
Veteran Member

City: Henry Island, WA
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: 38E Helmsman (ordered: May22)
Quote:

Doug and Patti, that is very exciting news. Any idea approximately when you will take possession? Since we are practically neighbors we would love to come by and see it when it arrives in La Connor.
Tom-Jill-Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 09:59 PM   #892

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Jill-Lilly View Post
Doug and Patti, that is very exciting news. Any idea approximately when you will take possession? Since we are practically neighbors we would love to come by and see it when it arrives in La Connor.
Scott said that it might be finished by the end of the month. Based upon yesterday’s photos, we don’t think that’s realistic. Now we think we’ll have the boat home sometime in November. We’d love to have come and visit “Alba Bella” and us of course.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:13 PM   #893

Two new 38Es delivered to the east coast

Helmsman Trawlers has a new blog post on the delivery of the newest 38Es to Georgia and Virginia within hours of each other. I believe these are Hulls 47 and 48. The next two out the door will include our Hull 50 and Helmsman’s Hull 49.

https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/news/blog/
Old 09-23-2022, 07:27 PM   #894
Guru

Quote:
Helmsman Trawlers has a new blog post on the delivery of the newest 38Es to Georgia and Virginia within hours of each other. I believe these are Hulls 47 and 48. The next two out the door will include our Hull 50 and Helmsman’s Hull 49.

https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/news/blog/
Getting close, Doug. The Helmsman team has been working on delivery scenarios for our boat. Soon, a start to a new adventure!
Old 09-23-2022, 08:02 PM   #895
Veteran Member

So excited for you guys. Barbara and I are thrilled with our what we presume to be hull #40 based on the hull ID.

We have had a chance to show off the boat to folks on D dock in Elliott Bay and to friends (we are back in California now). Lots of admirers, including awkward moments when we look up and see faces pressed against the glass looking in at us. This used to happen a lot with our Ranger Tugs so we just roll with it and invite them in.

But the best part was being at the public dock in Winslow on Bainbridge Island last week and a gorgeous Selene 49 pulled up opposite us. I love the lines on that boat. Second only to the Fleming in my book. As I helped him dock and tie up the captain leaned over to me, pointed at Off Leash and said "what is that boat? I really like it". What? You sir have a gorgeous Selene. But enough about your boat, let's talk about my boat...

Very satisfying. Brace yourself for cheek prints on your cabin windows. It is a mark of admiration if not envy.

Jeff

Old 09-25-2022, 12:33 PM   #896

We’re expecting

We have a delivery date for “Alba Bella”. The container ship from Shanghai will arrive in Seattle on October 30. We may have her home for Thanksgiving. Now we have a definite answer to the frequent questions about when we’re getting our boat.
Old 09-25-2022, 02:01 PM   #897

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Kiskadee
Vessel Model: Helmsman 46 Hull#1
Doug, Good news on the delivery date! I was invited to watch the unloading of our 38E from the container ship in Seattle. What an amazing experience. After hooking up the batteries we went to the Helmsman docks in Lake Union. Congratulations on your 38E. You will love her!!
chanprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 02:08 PM   #898
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Quote:
We have a delivery date for “Alba Bella”. The container ship from Shanghai will arrive in Seattle on October 30. We may have her home for Thanksgiving. Now we have a definite answer to the frequent questions about when we’re getting our boat.
Great news Doug. Congratulations.
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 02:09 PM   #899

I hope we get to see the unloading too. We plan to spend time on the boat while it’s being commissioned on Lake Union. The arrival of “Alba Bella” in Shelter Bay will be a much anticipated festive occasion too. Our friends and neighbors all want to join us for a christening celebration.
Old 09-25-2022, 02:23 PM   #900
Guru

Quote:
Congratulations! Awesome news. Now the fun starts for you. What you need to have short term, long term, what to get now, what to wait on. And that is just before the boat arrives. Will be a great first passage to get familiar with how she handles, too!