Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-14-2022, 08:28 AM   #801
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 851
Well, the boat is progressing with the finish on the interior moving along. As most folks know, the progress on all boat builds has been slowed with the supply chain issues, so we now expect that the boat will arrive later in the year. Here are some snapshots of the boat as of a week ago or so. The finishes are beginning to take on the well known quality of the Helmsman products!

One of the areas we needed to decide on a couple of months ago was the AC electrical capacity on the boat. We settled on the two 30 amp feeds, which is standard, as opposed to a 50 amp feed. That will provide 7,200 watts of power as opposed to the 12,000 watts a 50 amp would provide. With no 220 volt appliances, we went with the 30 amp in order to get the two Victron shore power isolators, which is also standard. This will provide some protection from the trips people are experiencing due to the upgrades to elci breakers at pedestals.

While there are 50 amp isolators available, they are much heavier and bulkier. I had the same setup on a previous boat, and it wasn't much of an issue. Power management is always a variable on a boat.
Attached Images
    
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:46 AM   #802
Guru
 
Nick14's Avatar
 
City: New England
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Well, the boat is progressing with the finish on the interior moving along. As most folks know, the progress on all boat builds has been slowed with the supply chain issues, so we now expect that the boat will arrive later in the year. Here are some snapshots of the boat as of a week ago or so. The finishes are beginning to take on the well known quality of the Helmsman products!

One of the areas we needed to decide on a couple of months ago was the AC electrical capacity on the boat. We settled on the two 30 amp feeds, which is standard, as opposed to a 50 amp feed. That will provide 7,200 watts of power as opposed to the 12,000 watts a 50 amp would provide. With no 220 volt appliances, we went with the 30 amp in order to get the two Victron shore power isolators, which is also standard. This will provide some protection from the trips people are experiencing due to the upgrades to elci breakers at pedestals.

While there are 50 amp isolators available, they are much heavier and bulkier. I had the same setup on a previous boat, and it wasn't much of an issue. Power management is always a variable on a boat.
Is that hull color 'Kingston Grey'?
__________________
Nick
Nick14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 09:20 AM   #803
NSM
Veteran Member
 
City: Roy
Vessel Name: Hold Fast
Vessel Model: Ranger Tug R29CB
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 29
We toured the boat shown in the video and it sealed the deal for us. It is beautiful and we get to add our own personal touch. I added the extra house batteries and am working towards a 1kw solar set. It will be here in late May.

We decided to skip the Seakeeper after talking to Scott about the boat and where the majority of our boating will be. We can add it later if needed. Easy install.

And my wife selected a light blue stripe to make it pop.

Can’t wait
NSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 04:02 PM   #804
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick14 View Post
Is that hull color 'Kingston Grey'?

Sure is, Nick.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 04:04 PM   #805
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSM View Post
We toured the boat shown in the video and it sealed the deal for us. It is beautiful and we get to add our own personal touch. I added the extra house batteries and am working towards a 1kw solar set. It will be here in late May.

We decided to skip the Seakeeper after talking to Scott about the boat and where the majority of our boating will be. We can add it later if needed. Easy install.

And my wife selected a light blue stripe to make it pop.

Canít wait

Congratulations! Exciting times! I think the stripe looks great, too. Are you getting a 43 or 38?
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:03 AM   #806
Guru
 
Nick14's Avatar
 
City: New England
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Sure is, Nick.
Thank you! It looks great!!
__________________
Nick
Nick14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:58 AM   #807
NSM
Veteran Member
 
City: Roy
Vessel Name: Hold Fast
Vessel Model: Ranger Tug R29CB
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Congratulations! Exciting times! I think the stripe looks great, too. Are you getting a 43 or 38?
The 43. It ticks all the boxes
NSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 09:01 AM   #808
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSM View Post
The 43. It ticks all the boxes
I really like the profile of the 43. The hull is about a foot higher, I think, than the 38. I think you will be really happy with it. Are you staying with the two stateroom layout or altering the second stateroom to another use?
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:27 AM   #809
NSM
Veteran Member
 
City: Roy
Vessel Name: Hold Fast
Vessel Model: Ranger Tug R29CB
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
I really like the profile of the 43. The hull is about a foot higher, I think, than the 38. I think you will be really happy with it. Are you staying with the two stateroom layout or altering the second stateroom to another use?
Weíll keep the stateroom. Thatís one of our ticked boxes. I feel bad for Roger and Scott. I pester them daily with ideas. 😃
NSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:42 AM   #810
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSM View Post
We’ll keep the stateroom. That’s one of our ticked boxes. I feel bad for Roger and Scott. I pester them daily with ideas. ��

Helmsman43, a poster on this forum, and a good friend of mine, eliminated the second state room in lieu of the head opening into his state room, and I think a slightly larger master. He is having a W/D put into the area where a portion of the second bed room was.

Just another example of the ability to customize the interior with a Helmsman! When you have time, take us through the options you have decided on.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 11:04 PM   #811
Veteran Member
 
City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Hull No. 56 TBA
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38e
Join Date: Oct 2021
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSM View Post
... working towards a 1kw solar set...
NSM how are you thinking of getting 1kw of solar on your boat? How many panels and how might you arrange them?

We are looking at 3 x 225w panels on the pilot house but haven't come up with how to add more.

Rick
Nancy and Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 12:14 AM   #812
NSM
Veteran Member
 
City: Roy
Vessel Name: Hold Fast
Vessel Model: Ranger Tug R29CB
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy and Rick View Post
NSM how are you thinking of getting 1kw of solar on your boat? How many panels and how might you arrange them?

We are looking at 3 x 225w panels on the pilot house but haven't come up with how to add more.

Rick
I have a 225 panel on my ranger tug and itís not that big. I asked them to check into three larger panels. I havenít measured yet but I suspect a 300 or 350 watt panel is available that will fit the space. Havenít solved it yet but I think weíll get close.
NSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:48 AM   #813
Senior Member
 
Nancy n Larry's Avatar
 
City: Sequim
Vessel Name: M/V Waterhorse
Vessel Model: Awaiting a Helmsman 38E, Hull#52
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 108
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Well, the boat is progressing with the finish on the interior moving along. As most folks know, the progress on all boat builds has been slowed with the supply chain issues, so we now expect that the boat will arrive later in the year. Here are some snapshots of the boat as of a week ago or so. The finishes are beginning to take on the well known quality of the Helmsman products!

One of the areas we needed to decide on a couple of months ago was the AC electrical capacity on the boat. We settled on the two 30 amp feeds, which is standard, as opposed to a 50 amp feed. That will provide 7,200 watts of power as opposed to the 12,000 watts a 50 amp would provide. With no 220 volt appliances, we went with the 30 amp in order to get the two Victron shore power isolators, which is also standard. This will provide some protection from the trips people are experiencing due to the upgrades to elci breakers at pedestals.

While there are 50 amp isolators available, they are much heavier and bulkier. I had the same setup on a previous boat, and it wasn't much of an issue. Power management is always a variable on a boat.
Beautiful! Thank you for sharing canít wait to see ours at that stage!
Nancy n Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:22 AM   #814
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick14 View Post
Thank you! It looks great!!
Thank you, Nick. Scott suggested it when we were trying to decide. We really like it. The lighter gray should hold up well against the sun.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:01 AM   #815
Guru
 
Nick14's Avatar
 
City: New England
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Thank you, Nick. Scott suggested it when we were trying to decide. We really like it. The lighter gray should hold up well against the sun.
We went back and forth between Kingston Grey and Pastel Blue. It's very hard to pick a color for a boat just from tiny little pictures or color samples on the internet. An image on a screen can't capture what it really looks like in person.

We went with the Pastel Blue, though still think the Kingston Grey will, as you said, hold up better against the sun. Wish we could have seen boats in those colors in person.
__________________
Nick
Nick14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 09:40 AM   #816
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick14 View Post
We went back and forth between Kingston Grey and Pastel Blue. It's very hard to pick a color for a boat just from tiny little pictures or color samples on the internet. An image on a screen can't capture what it really looks like in person.

We went with the Pastel Blue, though still think the Kingston Grey will, as you said, hold up better against the sun. Wish we could have seen boats in those colors in person.
I really like the pastel blue. If I were considering a decision today, I think I would do the stripe like the 43 in the boat test video. It just seems to really set it off. But, we are happy with what we went with.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 11:06 AM   #817
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,593
Grey will be great camoflage in the fog. I remember about 30 years ago, grey became popular with some sailboat manufacturers. Now when I see one they look very dated. Dark colors are harder to maintain, but may increase resale 10 years from now. Nobody knows for sure, just an opinion.
__________________
ďIn my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.Ē ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:07 PM   #818
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
Grey will be great camoflage in the fog. I remember about 30 years ago, grey became popular with some sailboat manufacturers. Now when I see one they look very dated. Dark colors are harder to maintain, but may increase resale 10 years from now. Nobody knows for sure, just an opinion.
The deck and superstructure is white.

One of the caveats about darker colors is that gel coats are much tougher to maintain. I have that problem on a run about we own. Our experience with that boat has caused us to steer away from darker colors on boats.

I suppose it is an eye if the beholder thing.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:50 PM   #819
Guru
 
Nick14's Avatar
 
City: New England
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
The deck and superstructure is white.

One of the caveats about darker colors is that gel coats are much tougher to maintain. I have that problem on a run about we own. Our experience with that boat has caused us to steer away from darker colors on boats.

I suppose it is an eye if the beholder thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
Grey will be great camoflage in the fog. I remember about 30 years ago, grey became popular with some sailboat manufacturers. Now when I see one they look very dated. Dark colors are harder to maintain, but may increase resale 10 years from now. Nobody knows for sure, just an opinion.
I love the look of classic Navy Blue or Forest Green for a hull. We've owned several of both. I've experienced first-hand just how fast they fade and need to be painted.

Despite being beyond obsessive-compulsive, and waxing the hull 3 or 4 times a year (yes, every other month), I've never been able to get more than 4 years out of a dark gelcoat hull before it faded to the point that I thought it needed to be painted (or a deep compounding that was only a very temporary band-aid).

Maybe others are luckier than I've been, or live in cloudy climates (like the PNW) where a dark hull might last longer. The only way I could imagine a dark hull lasting 10 years was if it was painted at some point along the way. The cost of a good paint job might outweigh any potential increase in resale value.
__________________
Nick
Nick14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:41 AM   #820
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,593
You bring up a good point about paint. Seems like most dark hulls today are painted not gelcoat. Does Helmsman not paint because of the added cost or is it an option?
__________________
ďIn my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.Ē ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012