Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can't say what trawler is for you but we are extremely happy and comfortable with our 38E. She is two years old (Hull 40) and have put over 480 hours on the Cummins 380. We are 100% pleased with our selection and upgrades. We thoroughly enjoy long cruises in the PNW. We use the flybridge all the time, even in the winter. Great visibility. If you choose a Helmsman 38E or 43, you've made a great choice. Over the two years we have had no mechanical or other problems with our 38E. Well built, well appointed and excellent fit and finish. Scott, Lisa and Van Helker are a pleasure to deal with.

I am in agreement with you. We will probably drive more from the flybridge than inside. It will be nice to have the pilot house when the weather hits. Nice to hear that it make a great cruising boat. I will probably feel like I have been freed from the “lake” pen.

An open question for us is the choice of dinghy davits. The weight of the dinghy and motor we have now is about 180 lbs. I don’t think we will go with a much higher weight, if any. The only change may be to an electric motor.

We also will not be putting the dinghy top side. It would be good to get some feedback from owners on what they have on their boats, and any pluses and minuses to the setup currently employed.

I went with the Simrad Mini Camera; I have an all Simrad system and figured this would mitigate compatibility issues. It is aft and to starboard under the roof of the cockpit. To be honest, given the $500 cost of the camera (not including installation costs), I would have expected the resolution to be better than is. But it does the job and is very unobtrusive.

I am looking at an analog setup I read about on either Sea Bits or Panbo. It uses a video encoder that can feed four cameras to a chart plotter. I would probably use three. A backup camera, and two engine room cameras. The setup has the capability to also connect to the LAN on the boat, making the videos available on a tablet or PC. That might come in handy while backing. It also has the added advantage of lower cost analog cameras.

It’s your boat do what you like if it makes you happy I’m happy for you . I’ve been buying Taiwanese trawlers for last 30 years . the current boat I have is the only boat I’ve ever owned build in this country . a lot of the Taiwanese trawlers were actually very nice boat’s it’s what the owners did to them , Making them their own I guess. In a lot of cases they ruined the boat drilling holes adding ridiculous things .to each his own I guess. One of the first things I do when I buy an old secondhand boat is remove all the wiring that the previous owners have added . I always end up with a very large trash bag full of wiring. I just spent the last two weeks removing added on junk and plugging holes in my current boat there were 32 holes in the pilot house roof what were they thinking , thankfully the roof is cored with closed cell Foam.One boat I had a while back had 24 6 V golf cart batteries and two enormous truck batteries . on a 34 foot aft cabin . Put down the crack pipe and step away from the drill

Scooby, I have seen the same thing in boats. I have a friend of mine with a marine repair business who has puled out tons of dead end wiring. The fire risks aboard some of those boats must be pretty high. I am also concerned about putting holes throughout a boat. Once they are there, it is difficult to undo them.

We decided against the Reverso. Most who have it like the convenience and I can’t blame them. I have a pump and container I use to change fluids and didn’t feel the need for it. Yes, mine is underway and has been for about three weeks. Thanks for the tip on the list of systems and appliances. That is a good idea that I will request from Kinani also.

Our flybridge on the previous boat was fully enclosed, but with the inside helm, I have decided not to do that. We plan to use the upper deck for get togethers and will put the dinghy on the swim platform.

Another small thing we’re going to have Scott do is put a shower curtain across the door in the shower room. Friends who had this added, put stick on hooks on the inside of the door for towels. The curtain will shield the towel and the door from getting wet while showering.

Another small thing we’re going to have Scott do is put a shower curtain across the door in the shower room. Friends who had this added, put stick on hooks on the inside of the door for towels. The curtain will shield the towel and the door from getting wet while showering.

That is a good idea. Will also keep the water off the master berth floor.

Can some current owners of the Helmsman 37, 38, or 43 comment on dinghy set up off the stern? Would like to hear the pros and cons of different products. As mentioned earlier, we plan to use the upper area for hanging out.

Re the shower: ask if they fixed the problem with drainage from the shower seat. Ours ( and others with Mariner 37 PH) the water flows toward the bulkhead and you have to sponge it after every shower. :(

I went to the boat show in Newport RI today. Its a pretty good feeling when you step off of boats costing over $2mm and feeling you would rather own the Helmsman on order that costs a quarter of that.

(I did covet the standup engine room on a Krogan though. :))

I went to the boat show in Newport RI today. Its a pretty good feeling when you step off of boats costing over $2mm and feeling you would rather own the Helmsman on order that costs a quarter of that.

(I did covet the standup engine room on a Krogan though. :))

A stand up engine room would be nice. A friend of ours signed for a 43 with Helmsman this past week. Delivery mid year 2022. The quality of the Helmsman sold him.

Re the shower: ask if they fixed the problem with drainage from the shower seat. Ours ( and others with Mariner 37 PH) the water flows toward the bulkhead and you have to sponge it after every shower. :(

Barrie, I passed the concern along. Thanks.

Can some current owners of the Helmsman 37, 38, or 43 comment on dinghy set up off the stern? Would like to hear the pros and cons of different products. As mentioned earlier, we plan to use the upper area for hanging out.

Helmsman, I obviously don't have mine yet, but I intend to use a Hurley 3.0 on the aft platform of the 37. I have confirmed with Scott and Hurley that this will work. Also, Hurley's customer service is really amazing. I sent measurements and pics that Scott took for me on an existing 37, and Hurley and I got on the phone and worked through all the details to make sure it'd work for me.

Newt

Helmsman, I obviously don't have mine yet, but I intend to use a Hurley 3.0 on the aft platform of the 37. I have confirmed with Scott and Hurley that this will work. Also, Hurley's customer service is really amazing. I sent measurements and pics that Scott took for me on an existing 37, and Hurley and I got on the phone and worked through all the details to make sure it'd work for me.

Newt

I like the Hurley and may end up doing the same. Videos show it works quick. Are you going to get the power version or just use the hand crank?

I like the Hurley and may end up doing the same. Videos show it works quick. Are you going to get the power version or just use the hand crank?

I think just the handcrank. I'm going to do a light AB alumina with a small motor, probably one of the electric ones. I've got a friend with the Hurley on his Cruisers and he hauls up a jet ski with the handcrank no problem. I figure, less to go wrong if no electricity required.

I think just the handcrank. I'm going to do a light AB alumina with a small motor, probably one of the electric ones. I've got a friend with the Hurley on his Cruisers and he hauls up a jet ski with the handcrank no problem. I figure, less to go wrong if no electricity required.

I feel the same way. Simpler the better.

Is your hull out of the mold yet? Any pictures?

Doug, Tye last pictures I got were dated 9/3 and the boat was not out of the mold yet. I sent a message last night requesting an update. In NMEA 2000 workshops this week, but will update when I get a reply. Thanks for asking.

We are looking forward to our new Helmsman 38E!

Hi Helmsman Fans..

We are brand new to this trawler forum as well as new Helmsman 38E owners. We are hull 51 and it’s scheduled for a May/June delivery.

Pretty pumped up about going on to our next chapter of cruising the Pacific Northwest. Our vessel (name tbd) will be customized for cruising Desolation, Broughtons, Inside Passage and up to SE Alaska. We are one-time veterans of the journey in our 27’ Seasport and needed something slightly bigger. ?

I see some folks have listed their options, and we’re currently selecting the final details for our boat. She’ll be light gray, 380 hp, no generator, but solar with 4 house batteries and an extra freezer. Lots of options that need to be decided soon. Oh my… we’re having so much fun. And we still have more work to do on the Seattle additions, like a dinghy, and electronics.
She’ll be the first Helmsman stationed at Roche Harbor, WA.

We’re looking forward to early summer and start our new adventures!
-Tom

Hi Helmsman Fans..

We are brand new to this trawler forum as well as new Helmsman 38E owners. We are hull 51 and it’s scheduled for a May/June delivery.

Pretty pumped up about going on to our next chapter of cruising the Pacific Northwest. Our vessel (name tbd) will be customized for cruising Desolation, Broughtons, Inside Passage and up to SE Alaska. We are one-time veterans of the journey in our 27’ Seasport and needed something slightly bigger. ?

I see some folks have listed their options, and we’re currently selecting the final details for our boat. She’ll be light gray, 380 hp, no generator, but solar with 4 house batteries and an extra freezer. Lots of options that need to be decided soon. Oh my… we’re having so much fun. And we still have more work to do on the Seattle additions, like a dinghy, and electronics.

-Tom

Congratulations, and welcome.

Where will your extra freezer be installed?

We are Hull #52! So excited! It will be fun to follow your journey! Our vessel’s home port will be Kingston Washington. Looking forward to making your acquaintance! Also interested in where the extra freezer is going! Congrats!

Welcome aboard,

We’re Hull #50, to be christened “Alba Bella”. We’re meeting with Scott next week to go over some final details. We’ve met three Helmsman 38 owners here in Shelter Bay and in Anacortes. They have all been very helpful and made a lot of great suggestions. We’re looking at tender and electronics options. Scott suggested attending the Seattle Boat Show and looking at the latest options.

It’s nice looking at options and not a list of survey items to be fixed.

Hi Helmsman Fans..

-Tom

Welcome aboard! Congratulations on your new build. Certainly exciting to see new arrivals to the journey we are all on. You have certainly picked the right boat, in my opinion.

Im sunk on the sink.

Thanks for the welcome.
Regarding the 2nd freezer – We prefer the best organic meats (which is hard to find cruising) and the need to store the monster salmon, halibut, prawns and dungies. I’ve spent and continue to spend a bunch of time on electrical budgets, driving options that are ready for future use, such as “generator ready”, prewired and plumbed. I left the gen set for another year as I believe after interviewing a dozen Helmsman, tug and trawler folks we wont be needing a generator if we balance everything else. That said, we opted for the gas stove, no aircon (PNW), and in the place of the generator I am considering a portable freezer. I didn’t want to take up the center cabinet for a 2nd freezer. Working with Scott I mentioned to place the 2nd in the engine room where the generator goes.. Electrical is already there. He appeared to like the idea and sent me his suggested model that should fit. The only concern I have is the heat in the engine room.. I didn’t ask him about that, so I only part time heat only when running. Also, this is a long term task as being portable I can add whenever in Seattle. I do need to figure out the electrical if I store it anywhere else, such as at the back of the boat (no real room) or on top (I don’t know if there is room, as our ding will be top side).
If you want a freezer for the cabinet, Gary gave me these to consider:

https://www.suremarineservice.com/Galley/Single-Door-Freezers/F2600ACDC.html

https://www.suremarineservice.com/Galley/Drawer-Stainless-Steel/ISO-3055BH4C00000.html

If you want a portable freezer which can be a frig or freezer (wide range of temps) and can be easily removed if necessary (bring on board for long trips, and use this for chasing Tuna or other fishing runs to the coast via truck-camper), it can also functional as a refrigerator if your needs at any time favor that purpose:

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/vitrifrigo-vf65p-portable-refrigerator-and-freezer-2-3-cu-ft/vf65p

Any thoughts or concerns as well as anyone have an idea of engine room temps?

This weekends selections.. deciding on fresh water on bow (I want to final rinse for salt removal and a clean windshield end of day) opting to then drop windshield washing, adding defrost heat (pacific NW cruising) for removing any condensation from the windows on rainy days (2 people and Lilly our lab breathing plus tea making and sous vide when shore power).

We are stuck on the sink and really the only way to figure that out is a tape measure and a 38. We wanted a dual sink and retain the side door to put trash/recycle bins, but if we get anything other than a single sink we will lose space as well as the side door (note we are not getting an ice maker). Which brings the question forward. Is anyone getting or have the 1 ½ sink, or double sink in a 38? If so how do you manage trash/recycle, is there enough room? Do you like the dual sink application. Having a 1 ½ should be able to save water during washing/rinsing. Use the left large for washing, the right for staging a rinse..

I know it might be overanalyzing this, :horse: but we live with what we decide for a very long time. Sink and counter tops isn’t something you change out easily.

Thanks, Tom

Welcome aboard,

We’re looking at tender and electronics options. Scott suggested attending the Seattle Boat Show and looking at the latest options.

As for a dinghy, I inherited an AB Mares 10VSX when I bought my H38E, which came with a 20hp Tohatsu outboard. Loaded up the dinghy weighs close to 450lbs. The Mares 10 is actually 10'6" long, and with the outboard it just barely fits across the width of the upper deck—there is just an inch or two to spare. The Mares is a great dinghy--stable, comfortable, and planes easily. But it is heavier and a touch longer than I would have selected. If you are planning on keeping a RIB up top, but still want a planing dinghy that is good for exploring the PNW, and want a dinghy that is easy to position on top single-handed, my advice would be to go for something a touch lighter (perhaps an aluminum bottom w/o a center console), and a bit shorter--something closer to 10', so it isn't as much of a squeeze.

I have another question for Helmsman owners. I have never stern-tied (aka shore tied) before, and want to be prepared as we are hoping to be in Desolation Sound and the Broughtons next summer. I have already read the various older TF discussions on this topic, but I am curious about the experience of Helmsman owners, since storage plays a part in the decision making.

I am considering three options (but there may be others):
braided polypropylene line stored on a spool (seems the most common)
Ultraline flatrope on a dedicated wheel (expensive)
braided polypropylene line stored in a bag.
(I was drawn to the bag option by the following video:
)

The Ultraline looks elegant, but it doesn’t seem a good fit for the Helmsman, as there is no obvious place to mount it. The bag option looks easiest to store, but I worry it might end up a tangled mess.

Also, I was thinking of 1/2” line; could I get away with 3/8”? And people suggest anywhere from 400’ to 600’. I am thinking of 600’ as I hope not to have to use it too often, but if I do need it I don’t want to suddenly find I am short. Your thoughts?

Thanks for the welcome.
Regarding the 2nd freezer – We prefer the best organic meats (which is hard to find cruising) and the need to store the monster salmon, halibut, prawns and dungies. I’ve spent and continue to spend a bunch of time on electrical budgets, driving options that are ready for future use, such as “generator ready”, prewired and plumbed. I left the gen set for another year as I believe after interviewing a dozen Helmsman, tug and trawler folks we wont be needing a generator if we balance everything else. That said, we opted for the gas stove, no aircon (PNW), and in the place of the generator I am considering a portable freezer. I didn’t want to take up the center cabinet for a 2nd freezer. Working with Scott I mentioned to place the 2nd in the engine room where the generator goes.. Electrical is already there. He appeared to like the idea and sent me his suggested model that should fit. The only concern I have is the heat in the engine room.. I didn’t ask him about that, so I only part time heat only when running. Also, this is a long term task as being portable I can add whenever in Seattle. I do need to figure out the electrical if I store it anywhere else, such as at the back of the boat (no real room) or on top (I don’t know if there is room, as our ding will be top side).
If you want a freezer for the cabinet, Gary gave me these to consider:

https://www.suremarineservice.com/Galley/Single-Door-Freezers/F2600ACDC.html

https://www.suremarineservice.com/Galley/Drawer-Stainless-Steel/ISO-3055BH4C00000.html

If you want a portable freezer which can be a frig or freezer (wide range of temps) and can be easily removed if necessary (bring on board for long trips, and use this for chasing Tuna or other fishing runs to the coast via truck-camper), it can also functional as a refrigerator if your needs at any time favor that purpose:

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/vitrifrigo-vf65p-portable-refrigerator-and-freezer-2-3-cu-ft/vf65p

Any thoughts or concerns as well as anyone have an idea of engine room temps?

This weekends selections.. deciding on fresh water on bow (I want to final rinse for salt removal and a clean windshield end of day) opting to then drop windshield washing, adding defrost heat (pacific NW cruising) for removing any condensation from the windows on rainy days (2 people and Lilly our lab breathing plus tea making and sous vide when shore power).

We are stuck on the sink and really the only way to figure that out is a tape measure and a 38. We wanted a dual sink and retain the side door to put trash/recycle bins, but if we get anything other than a single sink we will lose space as well as the side door (note we are not getting an ice maker). Which brings the question forward. Is anyone getting or have the 1 ½ sink, or double sink in a 38? If so how do you manage trash/recycle, is there enough room? Do you like the dual sink application. Having a 1 ½ should be able to save water during washing/rinsing. Use the left large for washing, the right for staging a rinse..

I know it might be overanalyzing this, :horse: but we live with what we decide for a very long time. Sink and counter tops isn’t something you change out easily.

Thanks, Tom

We opted for the single sink. My wife wanted the counter space, and as she noted, much less dish washing on a boat anyway. While we will have dishes on the boat, we tend to use paper plates more. Will you have a water maker aboard?

One question that arises is the size of lines to get for the boat. I am thinking a half to 5/8”. What say the rest of you?

5/8 should be good for dock lines. As far as paper plates, it's not worth it. The storage space and massive increase in trash greatly outweighs the pain of doing dishes in my book.

watermakers dock lines and fenders

Hi Helmsman and RF.
The vessel comes with lines, fenders and among safety equipt, see your spec sheet. I'll buy extras when we get the boat if needed.
No water maker, as I don't see us using up 140 gals of water too often if at all and agree no paper plates, etc creates more garbage. We can use salt water if the plates messy for first rinse.
Tom

Hi Helmsman and RF.
The vessel comes with lines, fenders and among safety equipt, see your spec sheet. I'll buy extras when we get the boat if needed.
No water maker, as I don't see us using up 140 gals of water too often if at all and agree no paper plates, etc creates more garbage. We can use salt water if the plates messy for first rinse.
Tom

Probably a good thing regarding paper plates in the PNW. Out here in the east, you just aren’t that far away from a marina. Our experience with lines and fenders is to have 8 of each along with two fender balls, (all of which will need their own smaller lines). If I remember right, the number provided is less than that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom