Old 05-04-2022, 08:40 AM   #701

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Glad we had this discussion on rode. The boat comes with a 10’ line at the end of the chain which could be used to cut the rode loose if there is an issue. I added 100’ of rode. One consideration is that the windlass is recommended for 9/16” 3 strand rode. So that is what we will put on. In a big blow, I will attach a 3/4” snubber to the chain to bolster that.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 05:12 PM   #702

New photos of the build arrived today. The woodwork and preliminary finishes are starting to become apparent in the progress pictures we are receiving. In the galley photo you can see the drop down cabinets, that will be handy for stowing a few things. The TV drop down cabinet is also apparent. As the owners of Water Maker stated in a previous post, the quality of the wood work is outstanding on these boats. It is nice to see the progress thus far.

If one looks closely you can see the wire run openings in the fiberglass ceiling area. There is a lot of forethought put into making these boats accessible for service, installation or inspection. That will come in handy in the future as the marine electronics industry advances to the NMEA2000 OneNet standard, and digital switching becomes more prevalent.

The settee photo provides a glimpse of the Snider's boat with the classy lighter blue gelcoat on the hull, I believe!

The forward cabin shelves have been added. (The bright light comes from the work lights above the forward hatch I think.) There will be much more room for storage in the forward cabin than the Carver I owned. Much more emphasis on curved lines and other styling type features on that boat which missed many opportunities for common sense storage. In contrast, the style of the Helmsman comes from the quality of the woodwork and the well thought out layout of the cabin.

I can see progress throughout the interior with the photos posted here, but there is also progress on the outside. The bow thruster cavity shows recent fiberglass work. The forward bulwark doors are not cut in yet, though the aft port and starboard doors are completed.

It is nice to be able to visualize the boat slowly rounding into a more completed stage from these pictures. With such a tough year for the marine supply chain, I am sure that the Helmsman crew has had to continually come up with new sourcing, and new ways of doing things. But they do, and so far it is pretty seamless to their customers.

One small personal example of a shortage is my recent search for marine tinned wire. The smaller gauges are available. I had to really search for red Ancor tinned 8 AWG and 6 AWG this past week. A lot of vendors are telling me they are out of all but less than 100' rolls of red heavier gauge wire, with no clue when they will get more. The 100' size is the best selling size, I guess. It can still be found with a little diligence, but most of the vendors show 2 or 3 rolls left. Hopefully the vendors catch up with the demand soon and things moderate a little.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2022, 05:48 PM   #703

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In construction)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
New photos of the build arrived today. The woodwork and preliminary finishes are starting to become apparent in the progress pictures we are receiving. In the galley photo you can see the drop down cabinets, that will be handy for stowing a few things. The TV drop down cabinet is also apparent. As the owners of Water Maker stated in a previous post, the quality of the wood work is outstanding on these boats. It is nice to see the progress thus

The settee photo provides a glimpse of the Snider's boat with the classy lighter blue gelcoat on the hull,
. .
We received new photos today too. Our interior progress looks similar. Itís really getting easy to imagine being aboard and weíre already figuring out where things will be stowed. We can see your boat out our starboard galley windows, partially blocked by the TV drop down. It looks like another blue hull is in the mold aft of us. That might be Larry and Nancyís boat, Hull 52.

They have made remarkable progress in the last month but our engine still isnít on site. Every time we get photos, there are multiple people working on the boat. That shows that work is proceeding apace and there is a lot of hands on craftsmanship going into these boats.

Scott wasnít optimistic about our boat being delivered before August. Sadly, weíll miss a Canadian cruise with our yacht club in July. Fall cruising in our waters can be delightful with fewer boats competing for moorage and anchorage. Fortunately, itís a boat that can be comfortable in all seasons and we intend to use it year round.

We canít wait to hear that your boat is on its way across the Pacific.
Doug_Snider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:32 PM   #704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Snider View Post
We received new photos today too. Our interior progress looks similar. It’s really getting easy to imagine being aboard and we’re already figuring out where things will be stowed. We can see your boat out our starboard galley windows, partially blocked by the TV drop down. It looks like another blue hull is in the mold aft of us. That might be Larry and Nancy’s boat, Hull 52.

They have made remarkable progress in the last month but our engine still isn’t on site. Every time we get photos, there are multiple people working on the boat. That shows that work is proceeding apace and there is a lot of hands on craftsmanship going into these boats.

Scott wasn’t optimistic about our boat being delivered before August. Sadly, we’ll miss a Canadian cruise with our yacht club in July. Fall cruising in our waters can be delightful with fewer boats competing for moorage and anchorage. Fortunately, it’s a boat that can be comfortable in all seasons and we intend to use it year round.

We can’t wait to hear that your boat is on its way across the Pacific.
Neither can we .

I remember you mentioning that cruise earlier. Sorry you guys won't make it this year. I bet the fall time is beautiful up that way. Once you are underway and in the boat, all of the previous concerns will melt away.

This year's issue is the supply chain for just about anything you want to get. There was a forum post recently about people waiting months for a 16" Furuno CP.

I appreciate the hard work going into making these boats a reality for us.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:46 PM   #705
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Jealous!

In the best way.

Congrats to you both.
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:58 PM   #706
Veteran Member

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Hull No. 56 TBA
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38e
Very exciting guys!

We only got 2 pictures today that don't show much progress since the April 25th pictures. Maybe as ours gets further along we will get more at a time.

I'm trying to get as much of the construction as posible documented so that I have a reference for future repairs or installations. And to just satisfy my curiosity

--Rick
Nancy and Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:18 PM   #707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy and Rick View Post
Very exciting guys!

We only got 2 pictures today that don't show much progress since the April 25th pictures. Maybe as ours gets further along we will get more at a time.

I'm trying to get as much of the construction as posible documented so that I have a reference for future repairs or installations. And to just satisfy my curiosity
I just went back through our weekly construction reports. The progress over the the past two months has been very dramatic. Early on it seemed like little was happening and then it really took off. You will be amazed.

I'm saving all the reports into a single PDF document that will be part of our onboard documentation. I extract the photos from the files and we spend hours watching them on the big screen. Every time we look at them we see something we hadn't noticed before.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:32 PM   #708
Veteran Member

Quote:
...I extract the photos from the files and we spend hours watching them on the big screen...
Are you able to enlarge them? Some of ours are pretty small and when I blow up the Word document that they are in they lose resolution and become grainy. With all of those great phones built in China their camera seems to be pretty low tech
Old 05-11-2022, 10:31 PM   #709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy and Rick View Post
Are you able to enlarge them? Some of ours are pretty small and when I blow up the Word document that they are in they lose resolution and become grainy. With all of those great phones built in China their camera seems to be pretty low tech
They are pretty low resolution photos. That may have something to do with having been inserted into a Word document. From Google Files, I download them as PDF files. I use Adobe Acrobat to save each photo as a JPG file. The resolution seems to vary from report to report. Higher resolution photos would be great if we could get them. My guess is that they start as much higher resolution photos. Even the best photos wind up being around a third of a megapixel.
Old 05-12-2022, 12:57 AM   #710
Veteran Member

City: Sequim
Vessel Name: M/V Waterhorse
Vessel Model: Awaiting a Helmsman 38E, Hull#52
Quote:
We received new photos today too. Our interior progress looks similar. Itís really getting easy to imagine being aboard and weíre already figuring out where things will be stowed. We can see your boat out our starboard galley windows, partially blocked by the TV drop down. It looks like another blue hull is in the mold aft of us. That might be Larry and Nancyís boat, Hull 52.

They have made remarkable progress in the last month but our engine still isnít on site. Every time we get photos, there are multiple people working on the boat. That shows that work is proceeding apace and there is a lot of hands on craftsmanship going into these boats.

Scott wasnít optimistic about our boat being delivered before August. Sadly, weíll miss a Canadian cruise with our yacht club in July. Fall cruising in our waters can be delightful with fewer boats competing for moorage and anchorage. Fortunately, itís a boat that can be comfortable in all seasons and we intend to use it year round.

We canít wait to hear that your boat is on its way across the Pacific.
We also received new photos today. It appears that they are still doing some work inside the hull and we did see evidence of some woodworking in its infancy.

Unfortunately our boat is now not slated to be completed until October. It then has to be shipped. With all of the shipping problems these days, we are guessing that we probably won't see it until early 2023. It a little disappointing to not get to cruise this summer but we know it will be worth the wait. Please keep us updated on the progress of your boats. It's fun to follow along vicariously, knowing that ours will be here one day soon.

We are going through all of our boat stuff that we have in storage. Washing, organizing, cataloguing! I know this sounds funny but there is a certain amount of pleasure in doing this task, knowing that we will be on the water again soon.

I'm certain Scott and company are equally frustrated with all the supply chain and covid related issues relative to boat building these days. Knowing how hard it is for them and the standards they are maintaining in these rough times, makes it easier to be patient and believe me, its not a virtue I was born with.

Hang in there and keep those photos and progress reports coming.
Nancy n Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:26 AM   #711
Veteran Member

City: Ottawa, Canada
Vessel Name: GYPSY
Vessel Model: HELMSMAN 38 aka Mariner 37 PH
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWT View Post
The addition of gas struts as a lift aid is one of the common customizations. Iím getting it.
I would appreciate details on how this was set up. Drawing would help. I was going to buy a sheet of 3/8 plywood to slide under the mattress as a starting point. How did you fit in the gas struts?
Thanks Barrie
(launched yesterday and sitting in a very quiet marina)
Attached Thumbnails
image2 (5).jpeg   image1 (5).jpeg  
Barrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 06:40 AM   #712
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Barrie, I can't help you. Yet. My boat is on order and it will be next year before I have it.

If you can wait a year, come on down to the Chesapeake and I'll show you!
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:45 AM   #713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
I would appreciate details on how this was set up. Drawing would help. I was going to buy a sheet of 3/8 plywood to slide under the mattress as a starting point. How did you fit in the gas struts?
Thanks Barrie
Barrie I believe there is a hinge in the plywood under the bed. The gas struts push the hinged portion up. Best time of the year for boating right now. Glad you are launched!
Old 05-12-2022, 11:16 AM   #714
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy n Larry View Post
...I'm certain Scott and company are equally frustrated with all the supply chain and covid related issues relative to boat building these days. Knowing how hard it is for them and the standards they are maintaining in these rough times, makes it easier to be patient...
I agree, as hard as it is to be patient, the high quality of these boats makes it easier (not easy but easier) to be patient.

--Rick
Old 05-12-2022, 01:01 PM   #715

Barrie,

What color green is your hull? I like it.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:22 PM   #716
Guru

City: West coast
Someone had a helmsman 43 in Sidney BC loaned to the boat show
Attached Thumbnails
F47426AD-9B4B-4926-811F-3C732BCACA9B.jpg   3DD622B4-7D98-4701-9AD8-0E43EF3E706D.jpg  
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:31 PM   #717

When is the show?
Old 05-12-2022, 03:31 PM   #718
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
When is the show?
just opened.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:59 AM   #719

City: New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie View Post
Thanks Barrie
I'll second @Helmsman's request, what color is that shade of green? It looks great!

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2022, 05:31 AM   #720
Veteran Member

City: Ottawa, Canada
Vessel Name: GYPSY
Vessel Model: HELMSMAN 38 aka Mariner 37 PH
Not sure of the colour code but i refer to it as hunter green.
I was asked for photos of our upper deck. Here they are. We took the rear Bimini cover off to wash it, so your looking at the frame.
Barrie
Attached Thumbnails
image0.jpeg   image1.jpeg   image3.jpeg  
Barrie is offline   Reply With Quote