Old 02-15-2022, 07:12 AM   #561
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Curious about approx cost added to the build of a new boat for Reverso or similar system. Can someone provide that for context?
Old 02-15-2022, 09:50 AM   #562
Guru

City: Walkabout Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Snider View Post
Because I want to minimize the handling of waste oil on the boat and want to make sure the engine, transmission and generator are drained completely, I have asked Scott to add the Reverso system. I have spoken with another 38E owner who has one and my brother-in-law who has one on his Hatteras 48LRC. They both swear by them. My brother-in-law is a marine mechanic/electrician and we have gotten a lot of good advice from him.

I think this is the way to go, and think you are smart to plumb ALL the equipment to it, not just some. So engine, gearbox, and generator.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:53 AM   #563
Veteran Member

City: Malletts Bay, Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
Curious about approx cost added to the build of a new boat for Reverso or similar system. Can someone provide that for context?
For both my boats, total cost was about $2K(installed).

Newt
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:04 AM   #564
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
For both my boats, total cost was about $2K(installed).

Newt
Thanks Newt. That's actually cheaper than I thought. Which is why I am questioning whether an extra 2K cost on a new build is worth debating. In fact, for those who don't do their own maintenance, or maybe can't or choose not to at some point in the furture, the payback should be pretty quick in less professional hours required for fluid changes. And even if you always do your own maintenance, I would think it's worth it for anything that makes that quicker and easier. It's also an extra feature at resale.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:09 AM   #565
Veteran Member

That calculus was a little different for me. If I didn't have it, I'd probably pay someone else out of laziness. I work a LOT. So if I can minimize the work, and do it super fast, then it's worth it to me. So the difference for me is really: Pay someone else, or do it myself with minimum fuss. This thing'll pay for itself in about 3 years that way.
Old 02-15-2022, 10:58 AM   #566

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In transit)
Labor cost is a big item but these days the availability of labor is a bigger issue. As retirees, our plan is to do as much maintenance ourselves as we can and let the pros do anything we might screw up. The good thing about a nice boat is that even time working on it is quality time. We have the added benefit of a slip within walking distance of our house.
Doug_Snider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:09 AM   #567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Labor cost is a big item but these days the availability of labor is a bigger issue. As retirees, our plan is to do as much maintenance ourselves as we can and let the pros do anything we might screw up. The good thing about a nice boat is that even time working on it is quality time. We have the added benefit of a slip within walking distance of our house.
yeah, fair point. In fact, the boat will be my retirement work. I'm so high-energy that I know that I'll go crazy at retirement. Our plan is to go liveaboard and the boat will be my "last job."
Old 02-15-2022, 11:20 AM   #568
Guru

Even if you like working on your boat, why not make it easier? Would you wax the hull by hand instead of a buffer because it's more fun? Would you rather clean your nonskid with a toothbrush instead of a deck brush or even a powered brush? I get it, there is some satisfaction out of caring for your boat, but I'd still prefer the tasks to be shorter and easier to accomplish and spend more time enjoying the boat than working on it.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:04 PM   #569
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Quote:
Smart approach. The lack of qualified marine service people was a significant factor in deciding to go with a new, well built boat. I have gotten to the point where I don’t trust anyone when it comes to doing work on my boats. I find that doing the work myself is entertaining.

Well, there is one exception. He decided to move on from marine work because of the unreasonable demands from boat owners. Good friend of mine and a diesel guru, so hopefully he can be persuaded for the “heavy lifting” work.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 09:08 PM   #570
Guru

One of the decisions we made for the boat was to go without the wood blinds. My wife wants to offset the teak and holly with Roman shades. We have just begun looking at them. Does anyone have suggestions for finding Roman shades for boats/RV’s? I am not sure if there is a place that makes them specifically for boats.

We may order some through one of the retail home stores, or may have them custom made if we can’t find what we are looking for.
Old 02-20-2022, 01:57 AM   #571

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post

We may order some through one of the retail home stores, or may have them custom made if we can’t find what we are looking for.
This may sound a little crazy but intriguing. There appears to be a wide enough valance at each window to accommodate motorized blinds. We installed them in 21 windows in our house. They can all be operated at once using a small remote control. They are battery powered. The initial batteries have lasted over two years with daily use. If you have wi-fi, you can operate them from anywhere and program them to open and close at specific times or at local sunrise/sunset. We just tell Alexa when we want them opened or closed. They are made to custom dimensions only and the blind disappears completely when closed.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:39 AM   #572
Guru

Quote:
This may sound a little crazy but intriguing. There appears to be a wide enough valance at each window to accommodate motorized blinds. We installed them in 21 windows in our house. They can all be operated at once using a small remote control. They are battery powered. The initial batteries have lasted over two years with daily use. If you have wi-fi, you can operate them from anywhere and program them to open and close at specific times or at local sunrise/sunset. We just tell Alexa when we want them opened or closed. They are made to custom dimensions only and the blind disappears completely when closed.
I like the idea. The Roman shades she has in mind go up by touch. They don’t come with pulls. The only issue I see with the few Roman shades I have looked at, is that they won’t recede above the teak valance. I don’t think that would be a problem with the ones you are talking about. We will keep looking.
Old 02-23-2022, 09:30 AM   #573
Guru

We received an update on the ongoing build. A lot of the woodwork is in place, and the boat is beginning to take shape and “look like a boat”. One of the great things about working with Scott and his team is their willingness to work with buyers throughout the build process. One case in point is our addition of a grill and refrigerator cabinet up on the FB. I mentioned it earlier, but Helmsman makes it easy to think through things with them, suggest ideas, get excellent feedback, and come up with new ways of looking at things. That is unusual these days, with off the shelf products, unalterable in form, or standardized in options being the rule. I think it is one of the great strengths of the company. The response was almost immediate, and decisions were made within a week.

Another advantage to Helmsman is that they deliver a finished boat to you. While there is a commissioning process, as with all boats, custom work is typically completed, checked out, and found good prior to leaving the yard. I have never been a proponent of the majority of work being completed in one location, with modifications or options added elsewhere. Some builders do that, and some owners like that type process, but it isn’t for me.

With supply chain issues probably at their maximum economic disruption level, inflation higher than the last 40 years, and transport backed up, this company is keeping true to the business principles that has made the demand for these boats so high.
Old 02-23-2022, 12:07 PM   #574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
We received an update on the ongoing build. A lot of the woodwork is in place, and the boat is beginning to take shape and “look like a boat”.
We didn’t see a lot of noticeable progress in our first update photos in a month. The photos this week show much of the same work but from different angles. Chinese New Year seems to have slowed things down, which was expected. The hull and the deck are still separated. The interior bulkheads are what we saw a month ago.

I agree with your assessment of Helmsman’s process. When we first met Scott, he said that each new boat is better than its predecessor. The combination of incorporating buyer suggestions and the expertise of Scott and the builders makes that happen. We’ve looked at a lot of photos and videos online and the incremental improvements in the 38E over the years are very apparent.

We went down to look at the latest 38E to be delivered in Seattle and we were impressed with the consistent quality. The new boat feeling is amazing. We noticed that the two salon table supports had been replaced by a heavy duty single pedestal. Scott said this was an upgrade necessitated by supply chain issues. We hope the issue will affect our boat similarly.
Old 02-23-2022, 01:03 PM   #575
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Well said!
FWT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:07 PM   #576
Guru

Here is a picture of the salon with the wood work underway. You can see the doorway to the day head (a great feature in a boat this size) on the port side. The second access hatch to the ER is also visible in the floor. The air vents for the engine room are visible on each side, and will be enclosed by a cabinet on the port side, and galley cabinetry on the starboard side.

This month's picture shows material progress from the previous month. Having built several homes over the last 40 years, this period in the build process reminds me of home builds once the exterior is dried in. There is a lot of detail work going on, but since we are not seeing a ton of big changes, it is easy to think things aren't moving along, when in reality they are.

It is fun to watch it come together.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2022, 05:04 PM   #577

I spoke too soon. We just got another progress report, the second this week. It shows the deck being lowered onto the hull and the shower and master head modules in place. Things are really moving. We might have an engine by March 15, although we don’t know when it will be installed. The next photos should be spectacular.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:25 PM   #578
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
You guys are killing me, in a good way.
FWT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:24 AM   #579
Veteran Member

City: Henry Island, WA
Vessel Name: Embark
Vessel Model: 38E Helmsman - #51
Rendezvous

Hi from southern Baja (extremely limited internet)..
I see Pt Townsand Rendezvous is later part of May when our boat arrives.. Probably wont be ready by then so we will be arriving via camper staying at the marina RV park. Will be extra sand from the many beaches we hit this past month.

Is anyone going via boat or will you be landbased for the event?

PS. just ordered the reverso system based on this forum. don't have a connection to research but much trust in this team. I do remember inventing more sailor terms trying to extract the oil out of the seasport 8.1L Volvo engine with hand pump. Not fun.
Tom-Jill-Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 11:30 AM   #580
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Jill-Lilly View Post
Hi from southern Baja (extremely limited internet)..
I see Pt Townsand Rendezvous is later part of May when our boat arrives.. Probably wont be ready by then so we will be arriving via camper staying at the marina RV park. Will be extra sand from the many beaches we hit this past month.

Is anyone going via boat or will you be landbased for the event?

PS. just ordered the reverso system based on this forum. don't have a connection to research but much trust in this team. I do remember inventing more sailor terms trying to extract the oil out of the seasport 8.1L Volvo engine with hand pump. Not fun.
Reverso is a no-brainer in my opinion. Works well and save a lot of work/hours.