Old 01-28-2022, 09:47 AM   #501
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
ok that makes sense. I don't generally run AC away from the dock though I could if really needed to, but still use the generator for stove and microwave and battery charging when on the hook. Water heater too, but not as critical.
Old 01-28-2022, 11:02 AM   #502
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
ok that makes sense. I don't generally run AC away from the dock though I could if really needed to, but still use the generator for stove and microwave and battery charging when on the hook. Water heater too, but not as critical.
I never left the Tennessee River on my previous boat. If we wanted to go out in July and August, we would run the AC quite a bit, due to temps in the nineties and high humidity. The ability to open the Helmsman windows should result in reduced usage. I am really looking forward to that aspect, though I haven’t really discussed prior to this. Even in warmer weather, I think it will make a big difference in enjoying boating.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 04:42 PM   #503
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
I never left the Tennessee River on my previous boat. If we wanted to go out in July and August, we would run the AC quite a bit, due to temps in the nineties and high humidity. The ability to open the Helmsman windows should result in reduced usage. I am really looking forward to that aspect, though I haven’t really discussed prior to this. Even in warmer weather, I think it will make a big difference in enjoying boating.
It's probably not as bad in CT, but we get our share of hot humid weather. But even getting a mile away from land can make a big difference. However, there are a few times when it's nice to be plugged into a marina dock with the AC blasting nonstop and a short walk to a pool.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:36 PM   #504
Veteran Member

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Hull No. 56 TBA
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38e
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
It's probably not as bad in CT, but we get our share of hot humid weather. But even getting a mile away from land can make a big difference. However, there are a few times when it's nice to be plugged into a marina dock with the AC blasting nonstop and a short walk to a pool.
Just as an example we had an all time record breaking last week of June in 2021, we thought we would die during that 4 day period

Check out the 25th through 28th. Normally we get the first 80F day on the 4th of July and it is back in the 70F degree range in a few days. If this is what the future brings then you will see people buying A/C and generators on their boats up here.

As an aside not related to boating it is fun watching the big box stores when those few 80F days occur every year as people flock to them to buy window A/C units (some even go across state lines to bring back units for their neighbors )

We typically have no cooling but use diesel for heating, cooking and hot water.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot_June_2021.jpg  
Nancy and Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:03 PM   #505

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In transit)
There’s a fascinating blog post on the Helmsman website. Two 43Es and a 38E were shipped together and recently offloaded in Surrey, B.C. Helmsman did some unusual logistics to get these boats delivered. What they are accomplishing in this unusual environment is certainly impressive and reassuring.

https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/news/blog/
Doug_Snider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:14 PM   #506
Veteran Member

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Hull No. 56 TBA
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38e
Another great Helmsman delivery story!
Nancy and Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:36 PM   #507
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Snider View Post
There’s a fascinating blog post on the Helmsman website. Two 43Es and a 38E were shipped together and recently offloaded in Surrey, B.C. Helmsman did some unusual logistics to get these boats delivered. What they are accomplishing in this unusual environment is certainly impressive and reassuring.

https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/news/blog/
The team there knows how to get things done, even with the hurdles that keep getting put in front of them. The picture of the three of them lined up shows the difference in size between a 43 and a 38. I noticed that they all have arches, too.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:11 AM   #508

City: Toronto
Quote:
The team there knows how to get things done, even with the hurdles that keep getting put in front of them. The picture of the three of them lined up shows the difference in size between a 43 and a 38. I noticed that they all have arches, too.
Is the radar arch the now default instead of the previous mast?
Sharked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:14 AM   #509
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharked View Post
You can select either one. Its just personal preference. No difference in cost.

For what its worth, I went with the arch. The mast is the more traditional look but takes space in the middle of the flybridge deck. The arch frees that up.

Both can hinge down to drop air draft for low bridges such as the need on The Loop.
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:58 AM   #510
Guru

Quote:
Hey, Sharked. FWT answered, and it is personal preference. I happen to like the lines of the boat better with the arch and is why I brought it up. In addition to the space it provides, you can spread instruments across it, which can help with the recommended spacing guidelines from electronics vendors. Not a major deal, but certainly a consideration.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:42 AM   #511

Quote:
Hey, Sharked. FWT answered, and it is personal preference. I happen to like the lines of the boat better with the arch and is why I brought it up. In addition to the space it provides, you can spread instruments across it, which can help with the recommended spacing guidelines from electronics vendors. Not a major deal, but certainly a consideration.
Do you know if the if the pricing is the same for arch vs mast?
Old 02-02-2022, 12:26 PM   #512
FWT
Guru

Quote:
Do you know if the if the pricing is the same for arch vs mast?
We generally don't talk about price on these. I will this time because I doubt Helmsman (the company) would mind.

No difference at all in the price of that choice.

I am really responding to this to make a larger point.

Scott Helker at Helmsman has said that quite a number of the people who have ordered his boats began conversations about it years in advance. You obviously have serious interest in the boat. The one thing I would urge you to consider is to simply reach out to Scott at Helmsman, and ask the questions you may have. I think you will be as pleased as the rest of us with the promptness of the response, and general professionalism. Seriously, don't hesitate.

Feel free to ask away here on the site on any other questions. If it is a question best asked offline, just PM me or the others. Happy to help.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:50 PM   #513

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWT View Post
We generally don't talk about price on these. I will this time because I doubt Helmsman (the company) would mind.

No difference at all in the price of that choice.

I am really responding to this to make a larger point.

Scott Helker at Helmsman has said that quite a number of the people who have ordered his boats began conversations about it years in advance. You obviously have serious interest in the boat. The one thing I would urge you to consider is to simply reach out to Scott at Helmsman, and ask the questions you may have. I think you will be as pleased as the rest of us with the promptness of the response, and general professionalism. Seriously, don't hesitate.

Feel free to ask away here on the site on any other questions. If it is a question best asked offline, just PM me or the others. Happy to help.
I have already reached out to Helmsman, and I received a very quick response from Scott himself, which was a pleasant surprise.

I just didn't want to bother him with so many pre-sale questions just yet, as I am at least 12 months away from being able to order and place my deposit.

Once traveling is a bit easier, I intend to make the trip out to Seattle and meet him in person.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:07 PM   #514
FWT
Guru

Good plan.

And again, we are here to help. You will have noticed we other buyers have shared a lot of notes here on how we decided to spec the boat and why. I got some good ideas and food for thought from the others. Any questions you might have will likely cause me to think more, too.

Welcome to the group!
Old 02-02-2022, 02:23 PM   #515
Guru

City: West coast
Congrats to everyone! These look like such great boats and a great sharing community. I’m jealous!

I wish they could just extend the 38 or 43 to give another 3 plus feet covered on the rear deck for lounging…and better tender storage with crane for a 12’ or 13’ tender! Always something.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:26 PM   #516
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
I have already reached out to Helmsman, and I received a very quick response from Scott himself, which was a pleasant surprise.

I just didn't want to bother him with so many pre-sale questions just yet, as I am at least 12 months away from being able to order and place my deposit.

Once traveling is a bit easier, I intend to make the trip out to Seattle and meet him in person.
But isn't bothering him the way you really get to know him, the company, and the boat? Don't bother if not serious, but, if serious, then ask and make notes so that as time gets closer you've narrowed your remaining questions. Just be honest and tell him how far away you are.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 05:57 PM   #517
FWT
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
Congrats to everyone! These look like such great boats and a great sharing community. I’m jealous!

I wish they could just extend the 38 or 43 to give another 3 plus feet covered on the rear deck for lounging…and better tender storage with crane for a 12’ or 13’ tender! Always something.
Well, half of that is easy. You can option a davit crane to put the dingy up top. The beam of the boat isn't going to let you go to 13' tender but 10 or 11 works. Many do. I'm getting a davit crane for my boat. The dingy has not yet been selected.

As for more cockpit space, the 43 has a bigger one than the 38. No shock there. Really the outdoor living space is up top on the flybridge. I'd want one or the other, but don't feel I need both. So less cockpit and more cabin space was a good tradeoff for me, given the flybridge.

By comparison, take a look at the Nordhavn 41. Not really much outdoor living space. Cockpit the size of the H38 or perhaps a wee bit bigger, and no flybridge.

Tradeoffs I guess.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:02 PM   #518
Guru

Quote:

I have been on both boats. The 43 cockpit is sizable and would compete with any boat in that size range. The 38 is smaller. There is also the option to put a wider transom opening on the back. Actually looks pretty nice. Thevtradepfcnisvtte larger salon.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:47 PM   #519
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
I have been on both boats. The 43 cockpit is sizable and would compete with any boat in that size range. The 38 is smaller. There is also the option to put a wider transom opening on the back. Actually looks pretty nice. Thevtradepfcnisvtte larger salon.
Problem is I love the size of the aft cockpit on mine so I just wish the helmsman was bigger there. Not inside. I’ll check one out in person soon. I’m a big fan.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 06:50 PM   #520
FWT
Guru

Quote:
Problem is I love the size of the aft cockpit on my 55’, so I just wish the helmsman was bigger there. Not inside. I’ll check one out in person soon.
A 46 model is due out soon.