Old 01-10-2022, 05:45 PM   #441

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy and Rick View Post
I think that is all way over my head as a user of the electronics

Thanks!
Rick

I have been accused of being a nerd before!
Helmsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:22 PM   #442

With the latest updated photos, the deck is now on the hull, and work continues on the interior. For the first time, I can see the contrast of the Kingston gray hull and the white deck. It looks better than I imagined!
Old 01-11-2022, 11:41 PM   #443
Veteran Member

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In construction)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
With the latest updated photos, the deck is now on the hull, and work continues on the interior. For the first time, I can see the contrast of the Kingston gray hull and the white deck. It looks better than I imagined!
Thatís really exciting. Today we got more exterior shots of the hull and deck, still separated. We havenít seen a good view of the interior since the hull came out of the mold. I went so far as to photoshop them together. I would guess youíre getting close to having an engine. Our big move for the week was verifying with Scott that there will be enough vertical clearance at the centerline salon cabinet for an automatic espresso machine. All the comforts of home.
Doug_Snider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:02 AM   #444
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Quote:
Congratulations!
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:40 AM   #445

Thanks guys. Scott suggested the Kingston gray. I hadn’t really thought too much about it thinking I would prefer all white. Seeing the boat with the contrast tells me it works for us. Still like the all white with the “clean” look it gives, but the Kingston gray on the hull certainly gives it a punch.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:02 AM   #446

Thanks guys. Scott suggested the Kingston gray. I hadnít really thought too much about it thinking I would prefer all white. Seeing the boat with the contrast tells me it works for us. Still like the all white with the ďcleanĒ look it gives, but the Kingston gray on the hull certainly gives it a punch.
Old 01-12-2022, 10:22 AM   #447

City: Tsawwassen BC
Vessel Name: Tolly Roger
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 SC
Very Exciting !
Any chance of sharing the pictures as these boats progress through the factory?
Tolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 11:14 AM   #448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolly Roger View Post
Very Exciting !
Any chance of sharing the pictures as these boats progress through the factory?
Thank you, Tolly. And thanks for the question. Helmsman has requested we not share the build pictures without first clearing with them. As the build progresses, we will share a few.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:15 PM   #449

Here is one of the pictures I received of the hull and deck.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2022, 02:52 PM   #450
Veteran Member

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In construction)
Very nice. Thanks for sharing it.
Doug_Snider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:26 PM   #451

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Hull No. 56 TBA
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38e
Quote:
Here is one of the pictures I received of the hull and deck.
It's beautiful!
Nancy and Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 05:21 PM   #452
FWT
Guru

Looking good!
Old 01-12-2022, 08:31 PM   #453
Veteran Member

City: Henry Island, WA
Vessel Name: TBD
Vessel Model: 38E Helmsman (ordered: May22)
Looks awesome!
Tom-Jill-Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:15 AM   #454
Veteran Member

Hull 51 going with Garmin

Hi Rick, Mr. Helmsman and all.

Rick, I am officially going with Garmin. I called product support on an issue with my In-reach which they never saw before and got solved after spending an hour on that, he passed me to his bud in Marine which then reviewed my list of my 38E Garmin products and sent a 2-page dissertation about it the next day. These are guys in tech support - not sales. I will forward that to you in email. I compared your list to mine looks like he suggested a few things on your list that wasnt on mine and also got into some cable selections etc other details. There were a few things he said I didnít need.. I think you will find it interesting and build your confidence, and maybe change something or not.

While I am a promotor for Garmin In-reach, saved our butts a few times, it's not a real Garmin touch and feel/ menu etc. I saw you are leaning to a mini or Explorer +. These were grandfathered in from a previous company so you might want to look at the Montana series. Its more "garmin" developed within. Might be more $$ and honestly, I have not studied it. I did my complaints on what I had in hand, he suggested that I look at the Montana series. Again, it's a tool and it saved us a few times, and I dont go anywhere without it. But it's just a tiny bit clunky, so if they have something newer, take a look at it. Bottom line, if your going up the inside, you need something. VHF wont work.

I am also going with the Vesper setup, they sold me on it since I have two handheld VHF backups..

For those who wont have VHF or Cell coverage in remote areas, aside from satellite transponders (ie Garmin In-reach which gives a very top level forecast)

Is anyone considering any kind of weather instruments?

They recommended this -
GXM 54 SiriusXM antenna for weather $799.99 (weather package is extra per month from SiriusXM)

I have very little knowledge on this solution and Garminís site doesnít have a good promotional video or anything.

One more on Garmin - he also suggested Garmin USB Card Reader $99.99 (SD card slots are on the back of the 8616 units, hard to access when dash mounted) this will mount on the dash for easy use (like a 12v power plug in cars now). Youd think he should just send me one for free?

Lastly, one a sentence or two, can anyone tell me why Satellite Compass is needed? I donít know the application of driving a boat at 7 knots what this level of precision buys me?

Again - thanks for all the input everyone. It really helps!
Old 01-13-2022, 10:39 AM   #455

I am not sure about the satellite compass that Garmin provides but the SCX20 from Furuno is superior to a normal GPS sensor, because it is receiving information from more satellites, it provides pitch and yaw for information for your AP (reported by analysts and marketed by Furuno) and the radar stabilizes to the chart, so in rougher seas the radar overlay does not move off of the chart it is supporting.

I can’t speak to the weather instrument other than have heard the Sirius weather isn’t all that useful. That is east coast folks reporting that, where you are seldom out of cell range. Many folks on the forums I engage with who are traveling the rivers, gulf, and east coast subscribe to a couple or three internet weather apps for their info.

I would like to see the analysis you received from Garmin also.
Old 01-13-2022, 10:41 AM   #456
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
I am not sure about the satellite compass that Garmin provides but the SCX20 from Furuno is superior to a normal GPS sensor, because it is receiving information from more satellites, it provides pitch and yaw for information for your AP (reported by analysts and marketed by Furuno) and the radar stabilizes to the chart, so in rougher seas the radar overlay does not move off of the chart it is supporting.

To add to that, a satellite compass won't be affected by moving metal or magnetic objects around on the boat and doesn't need the same kind of calibration as a more basic fluxgate heading sensor does.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:47 AM   #457

City: West coast
I’m not sure about the Garmin, but the Furuno SCX20 has been viewed as a game changer and “must have” especially in conjunction with radar.

Here’s a review by one of the forum members talking about the benefits of the satellite compass which should apply equally I would think:

https://seabits.com/furuno-scx-20-satellite-compass/
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:37 AM   #458
Veteran Member

electronics - 95% done, on order

Hi, our electronics is now on order.

The only thing I think is missing is cell/networking and something for weather. Seriously looking at Sirius XM marine weather.

Thanks for the help from everyone.
Anything awry, let me know.
Now back off to remote camping in Baja - back on-line when we can.

Hull and deck are underway!

Tom

PS: Just added in another fixed VHF. IC-M422 VHF Marine Transceiver. This is a very simply easy to use. If we get in trouble and a guest needs to use a VHF, it's there for them.
Attached Thumbnails
helmsan 38e electronics 1-15-22.jpg  
Old 01-15-2022, 10:59 AM   #459
FWT
Guru

I don't know the Garmin lineup well, but it sure appears to be pretty comprehensive.

You have a windspeed indicator in the specs. Curious about your thoughts on that, on a trawler vs sailboat?

Second, there is some urban legend chat that Garmin doesn't play well with non-Garmin autopilot gear. Something about how the turn calculations within the MFD need a Garmin autopilot to work with the turn smoothing calculations and signals. Truth? Old truth that is no longer true? Just throwing that out there in case there is any current relevance.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:22 AM   #460
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWT View Post
You have a windspeed indicator in the specs. Curious about your thoughts on that, on a trawler vs sailboat?

I'd say it's less necessary on a trawler, but particularly for anchoring, it's a nice to have. I've debated adding one to my boat, it just hasn't made it to the top of the "things to spend money on" list.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote