Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of note for fitment / sizing, the Vulcan in my previously posted pictures is the 33kg / 73 lb version.

Of note for fitment / sizing, the Vulcan in my previously posted pictures is the 33kg / 73 lb version.

38 ft boat per your signature block

Most seem to go a size down. That's what I was considering. The 25kg is on the tight side but OK.

Thoughts?

Most seem to go a size down. That's what I was considering. The 25kg is on the tight side but OK.

Thoughts?

The 25 kg / 55 lb was the recommended size for my boat according to Rocna. But it was going to take about the same amount of work to make either one fit my pulpit, so I figured I'd go up a size even if it's probably overkill. I can't say I've ever thought it was too big.

In general, my boat is pretty close in size to an H38 (I've got a little longer overhangs, but the LOD and beam are within a couple inches). The H38 is heavier (by about 8 - 9000 lbs) and overall windage is probably similar between the 2. I think weight may put the H38 on the edge of the 25kg vs 33kg according to the Rocna charts, figuring that with a spec-ed dry weight of 30k lbs, an H38 will be in the 35 - 36k lb range loaded (my boat is around 27k loaded).

Thoughts?

I always recommend doing as he did, one size up from the recommended size.

We have used a Vulcan 25kg on our H38E with a Mantus Swivel for one season now. (The boat came with a Mantus M1 65lb, purchased by the previous owners, but I swapped it out for the Vulcan--see the separate thread: Bad fitting anchor on Helmsman). I don't know if the swivel is doing much or not, but it came with the boat so we kept it. We also have the original 20kg Bruce that we keep as a backup. So far the setup works just fine, and the anchor has always come up oriented correctly. The only time we had trouble setting was in thick grass that I suspect would have challenged any anchor.

That is good to hear. I will do the same. Did you put a bale bar across it?

Not getting an anchor from Helmsman. Just chain.

I'll have the anchor pre-ordered and on hand to be installed with commissioning or myself immediately after.

FWT,

Where does Helmsman get the chain? I wanted to be sure of the chain so had it deleted (Chinese) on my North Pacific 45. I bought 3/8 G-4 from Defender. Did not know what standard the oem chain was and if it was repeatable.

An interesting side note, while discussing this with my Irish cousin he told me that Chinese chain had beat all comers in a test published in a European boating magazine. Did not change my thinking as I still did not know what standards it is made to. Eamonn and all of his boating friends use chain built to a European (can't tell you what) standard.

Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.

Rob

The chain is sourced locally where the boat is commissioned.

No Chinese chain on these boats!

The 38 comes with 5/16 G-4 chain, I think. Would have to check my notes, but pretty certain that is correct.

I always recommend doing as he did, one size up from the recommended size.

The Vulcan site has two recommendation pages. One is a drop down menu of selection criteria, and that recommends the 25

Then there is a chart based on length and metric tonnage (2205 lbs to the metric ton). That recommends the 25. The next size up, the 33, has my specs barely touching the range given.

The site says sizes are given for 50 knot winds with poor holding bottom. No way to know just what they are basing the poor bottom conditions on.

I hear you and completely agree in principle with your point. But it does seem that upsizing on this is a bridge too far, including in fit.

There is another element on my mind. Bear with me as I try to explain some logic. It is buried in some analysis paralysis. Having been through a lot of the Panope review videos and watching him read out how many pounds of pressure different anchors handle before breaking loose, the Vulcan numbers were twice as high as some others. A lesser anchor would just demand upsizing to get the same performance. Pound for pound or size for size if this one performs as well as Panope says, upsizing isn't pressured, and I can go with this top performer at 25kg instead of an upsized lesser model that then has fit issues too because of dimensions upsized.

Yeah, I do recognize that this logic works until it doesn't.

Either way, I think its 25kg Vulcan or a different anchor. Dimensions.

Your point is well taken though.

The Vulcan site has two recommendation pages. One is a drop down menu of selection criteria, and that recommends the 25

Then there is a chart based on length and metric tonnage (2205 lbs to the metric ton). That recommends the 25. The next size up, the 33, has my specs barely touching the range given.

The site says sizes are given for 50 knot winds with poor holding bottom. No way to know just what they are basing the poor bottom conditions on.

I hear you and completely agree in principle with your point. But it does seem that upsizing on this is a bridge too far, including in fit.

There is another element on my mind. Bear with me as I try to explain some logic. It is buried in some analysis paralysis. Having been through a lot of the Panope review videos and watching him read out how many pounds of pressure different anchors handle before breaking loose, the Vulcan numbers were twice as high as some others. A lesser anchor would just demand upsizing to get the same performance. Pound for pound or size for size if this one performs as well as Panope says, upsizing isn't pressured, and I can go with this top performer at 25kg instead of an upsized lesser model that then has fit issues too because of dimensions upsized.

Yeah, I do recognize that this logic works until it doesn't.

Either way, I think its 25kg Vulcan or a different anchor. Dimensions.

Your point is well taken though.

Another element is the length of the anchor. The amount of room between the windlass and the point the anchor begins to clear the “pulpit” will define how the chain reacts between those two points as the anchor advances towards the windlass. I believe Admirals might be able to speak to that with the Mantus anchor the previous owner installed on his Helmsman.

Tonight's effort: trying to pick out Caesarstone countertops.

We are trying to stay light too, for the same reason. This is all the province of my wife who has the final call on it.

Hello Helmsman owners: One of the projects I have this year is to make it easier to get to the storage bins under the bed. Lifting the mattress with one hand and trying to get in to the bins is a pain. Requires two of us and there is not much room to move. As a result we don't use them and they sit empty.
Someone said they had installed hydraulics in their new boat that lifted the entire bed mattress. Not in my plan.
Have any of you new owners had any discussion with Scott on ideas to make this easier?
Thanks Barrie

Speaking of rode, how many of you are getting additional chain or rope rode added to your order? If so, how much and what kind?

Hello Helmsman owners: One of the projects I have this year is to make it easier to get to the storage bins under the bed. Lifting the mattress with one hand and trying to get in to the bins is a pain. Requires two of us and there is not much room to move. As a result we don't use them and they sit empty.
Someone said they had installed hydraulics in their new boat that lifted the entire bed mattress. Not in my plan.
Have any of you new owners had any discussion with Scott on ideas to make this easier?
Thanks Barrie

The addition of gas struts as a lift aid is one of the common customizations. I’m getting it.

Struts

The addition of gas struts as a lift aid is one of the common customizations. I’m getting it.

We are as well! Makes things so much easier and assured the use of the under bed storage.

Good to know! We also did this!

Speaking of rode, how many of you are getting additional chain or rope rode added to your order? If so, how much and what kind?

The standard 200 ft is plenty for everything I intend to do for the first several years. The ICW is shallow. I suspect I'll seldom use more than 100 ft.

If and when I plan a trip north up the coast I'll address it then, by just getting additional rope rode to attach when and as needed.

...The ICW is shallow. I suspect I'll seldom use more than 100 ft...

I remember when we did our loop I was amazed at all of the shallow water we encountered in the Eastern part of the country. I loved being able to anchor in as little as 5 or 6 feet on the rivers and I don't think we ever had to anchor in more than 25 feet.

Not like that in most of the Pacific Northwest. The further north the deeper it seems to get. You might have to drop the hook in 70-80 feet and with luck you can add a stern tie to shore...I never feel like I have too much rode. Our last sailboat had two 300' all chain rodes, a 65lb. Danforth with a 55lb. Bruce.

--Rick

I will add some rode to the end of the chain, to have a combination of both that will be 300 feet. That will also allow for cutting the chain free if there is a stuck anchor. I also plan a 70 foot snubber and a bridle. The snubber will cushion the chain shock, and the bridle will lessen horsing.

Thanks Barrie

Same for me with the gas struts. Perhaps someone that has the current setup will post a picture, or if not, I will post a picture when the boat arrives.

Last edited:
I will add some rode to the end of the chain, to have a combination of both that will be 300 feet. That will also allow for cutting the chain free if there is a stuck anchor. I also plan a 70 foot snubber and a bridle. The snubber will cushion the chain shock, and the bridle will lessen horsing.

Good plan!

--Rick

I remember when we did our loop I was amazed at all of the shallow water we encountered in the Eastern part of the country. I loved being able to anchor in as little as 5 or 6 feet on the rivers and I don't think we ever had to anchor in more than 25 feet.

Not like that in most of the Pacific Northwest. The further north the deeper it seems to get. You might have to drop the hook in 70-80 feet and with luck you can add a stern tie to shore...I never feel like I have too much rode. Our last sailboat had two 300' all chain rodes, a 65lb. Danforth with a 55lb. Bruce.

--Rick

East coast boats, and west coast boats. The needs sure differ.

Back
Top Bottom