Old 09-09-2021, 04:39 PM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: Ocean park
Vessel Name: Tug life
Vessel Model: Nordic tug 26
No flybridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMJim View Post
As a newb, I'm curious as to why the flybridge would be seen as a disadvantage? Height? Stability?
No flybridge, for me I donít like them Iíll give you a numbered list why I donít like them maybe you can tell me why are you do . Oh by the way last two boats I owned prior to the one i own now I removed the flybridge ion both those boat . I canít tell you how many comments I got people inquiring what kind of boat was it they havenít seen one quite like that ,most everybody liked it #1They ruin the look of the boat it looks like something was just added as an afterthought my opinion #2 they usually require some kind of enclosure here in the north west itís to keep you warm and dry or warmer then youíre looking through crappy plastic #3 there is a problem of moisture hard on your gauges your controls corrosion you have to keep everything covered ,then uncover everything and wipe everything down #4 Donít you just love climbing up a ladder I know I do #5 They also act as a big sail not a small sail a significant sail . I get blown around enough as it is I donít need a sail when Iím trying to dock #6 if you have your boat hauled put on a trailer and moved itís much easier without a flybridge #7 something else to keep clean and maintained is a joy I never have enough things to clean and maintain on a boat why not a flybridge theyíre so easy to keep clean , washing all that enclosure trying to reach spots that are so easy to reach I could go on with some more examples but I think you get it , but the main reason Theyíre just plain ugly and they ruined the look of any trawler. their best at home on a sport fish boat ,hence flying bridge , fly along at 25 or 30 knots . My favorite boat by far is a sedan style trawler you donít have to climb out of a hole to get on the back deck cockpit whatever you guys call it . The boat I have now is a major compromise well thatís a whole other thread
Scooby5959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:47 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMJim View Post
As a newb, I'm curious as to why the flybridge would be seen as a disadvantage? Height? Stability?
Some see them as disadvantages for those reasons and others just don't like them.

For cruising, we are adamant on having flybridges. Both while moving and when sitting they give extra space. Now we often have more people than others do on board. Also we love to go to the upper helm on nice days and enjoy the fresh air. It's a means of really expanding total space and social areas of the boat. Also, incredible if you're cruising areas like the Erie Canal or the Thames or Seine rivers or the TN Tom River to be able to see the land around you so much better. It's like having a rooftop patio on your home.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 05:04 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: Ocean park
Vessel Name: Tug life
Vessel Model: Nordic tug 26
Oh I forgot to mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Some see them as disadvantages for those reasons and others just don't like them.

For cruising, we are adamant on having flybridges. Both while moving and when sitting they give extra space. Now we often have more people than others do on board. Also we love to go to the upper helm on nice days and enjoy the fresh air. It's a means of really expanding total space and social areas of the boat. Also, incredible if you're cruising areas like the Erie Canal or the Thames or Seine rivers or the TN Tom River to be able to see the land around you so much better. It's like having a rooftop patio on your home.
Entertaining ,not on my boat . if youíre not female and happen to like old fat guys youíre not allowed on my boat . Iíll let you guess how often I have company . Time alone ďpricelessĒ
Scooby5959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:33 PM   #24

City: Sequim
Vessel Name: M/V Waterhorse
Vessel Model: Awaiting a Helmsman 38E, Hull#52
Congrats on your new build #49 and #50! We are number
#52 and expect a late May or June delivery. My husband and I are very impressed by the quality of the Helmsman, Scott and Lisa included! The attention to detail is unsurpassed! I am curious about the modifications you have made on your boats! Without a doubt, they are gorgeous and in a league all of their own.
Nancy n Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:03 PM   #25
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Helmsman has what appears to me to be a tried and true process for delivering a high quality boat. That is usually accomplished by doing the same thing over and over again, while making incremental changes that add up to big improvements. Having said that, the company is very flexible in terms of getting the boat to you with the modifications that you would like to have.

They are very open to possible changes, while being clear about modifications perhaps tried or suggested before that may have a downside to them that perhaps the purchaser wasn't thinking about. To me, open discussions about this were important, because it would be easy to "over commit" to a change that might be regretted later. Scott and Gary both helped a lot in these discussions with their knowledge. I was very impressed with this aspect of it.

Over the years of developing the boats, there have been various options requested and incorporated into them that bring satisfaction to the owner. My "options" were minor compared to John's (N4061) changes, in which the footprint of the salon was reversed from port to starboard. I liked what he did, but would not want to give up the full height refrigerator for an under counter one. One of John's concepts was the 90% rule, which I think many experienced buyers of boats intuitively use when looking at both new and used boats. The same was true for us, as we moved 12 times around the country during our working years. The same applies to boats.

The hull is Kingston Gray, which we really liked on some of the images of the boat we viewed both live and on the web. Helmsman has plenty of color options, with the standard being white. For some reason, we liked the white on the 43 very much, but not so much on the 38E. A lighter hull color helps with the maintenance, and is easier on the gel coat than the darker tones.

We decided on the Cummins (480 hp version) for propulsion. We don't need a lot of speed, but there are times where river current and or tidal currents may make us happy that we went with the larger engine. As a result of the engine size, it was suggested to also get trim tabs, which we did.

Since we are eastern river boaters, with the occasional east and gulf coast trips, we started the rest of our option list with a generator and two HVAC heating, cooling systems. We had two HVACS in the Carver, and they were sufficient to heat and cool that boat. There was at least one prior build with three HVAC's on a 38E which home ported in the Charleston SC area, but we felt we would be ok with two, again based upon experience. After sleeping on the Carver in hot summer weather on the hook once without AC, we knew that no AC would be a show stopper on any boat. If we were in the Pacific NW, I am not sure that it would have been a requirement.

We stayed with the 6kw Northern Lights generator with it's excellent reputation. I was a little concerned with whether it was a sufficient KW size for the boat, but after some good discussion decided to stay with it.

Since we knew we needed a gennie, the next step was to go with an induction cooktop with the convection microwave installed underneath it instead of using a propane stove. I realize that propane versus electric is a personal design choice for the purchaser with strong opinions either way. It was easy for me because my wife wanted it this way, and so that is what we are doing. We found on our previous boat we didn't use the cook top that much preferring to grill outside and will probably do the same with this boat with a small magnum grill.

We decided on an arch as opposed to the mast. We like the look of the arch more than the mast (again personal design choice), and also like the ability it gives to "spread" the electronics.

We added side doors to both pilot house bulwarks, and to the cockpit. The forward side doors will help with the times I single hand, while the cockpit side doors will be the main access to the boat, for the most part. We also added a set of cleats to the cockpit area.

More on the options to follow.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:10 PM   #26
Guru

I didn't mention this before, and it is a standard on these boats, but the ability to step out to port or to starboard from the pilot house is an added advantage when going through locks. There are many locks with floating bollards on the inland river system. This also allows more capability in single handing locks. Unfortunately, our Carver had very narrow side decks, that would force the person tying to the bollard to bend at the waist and lean down, or to tie to the bollard from the cockpit and then move the line forward as the boat was eased up.

From a comfort perspective in light seas or at anchor, it will be nice to have the doors and windows open. As tough as the boat is, the ability to view your surroundings is a big plus for us.

We also like the wide steps to the fly bridge, and the higher than usual railings that Helmsman supplies. We look at this boat as our last rodeo with large boats, so safety as we age is important to be able to continue to use it. Safe access is important, particularly for those of us who are not getting any younger!
Old 09-10-2021, 12:12 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:

I agree. We wouldn't have a boat without a flybridge. We find ourselves spending a lot of time up there. Part of it is what we are used to. Part of it is the view.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:15 PM   #28
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Helmsman: I smiled as I read this. Mine will be a clone of yours for much the same reasoning. Except a white hull, and 380hp.

I have held off doing my own thread. Now if I do, it might just be "what he said." LOL
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #29

We went with the 380 Cummins, ice blue hull, arch rather than mast Going to add the NL genset. Standard propane cooktop and oven. Upgraded heating system and a few other small details. Am really enjoying this thread! June cannot get here soon enough.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWT View Post
Helmsman: I smiled as I read this. Mine will be a clone of yours for much the same reasoning. Except a white hull, and 380hp.

I have held off doing my own thread. Now if I do, it might just be "what he said." LOL
Hey FWT,

I am great with it being a common build thread. We can all learn from each other and from others who want to contribute.

My reasoning for starting it is to get feedback from all the experience on this forum.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:44 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy n Larry View Post
We went with the 380 Cummins, ice blue hull, arch rather than mast Going to add the NL genset. Standard propane cooktop and oven. Upgraded heating system and a few other small details. Am really enjoying this thread! June cannot get here soon enough.
I hear you!
Old 09-10-2021, 01:59 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post

The hull is Kingston Gray, which we really liked on some of the images of the boat we viewed both live and on the web. Helmsman has plenty of color options, with the standard being white. For some reason, we liked the white on the 43 very much, but not so much on the 38E. A lighter hull color helps with the maintenance, and is easier on the gel coat than the darker tones.
How is the visibility on the gray? I'd worry about being seen at dawn and dusk, but you've seen it so clearly think it is visible I assume.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:43 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
How is the visibility on the gray? I'd worry about being seen at dawn and dusk, but you've seen it so clearly think it is visible I assume.
I donít think it will be a problem. The upper body of the boat will be white.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:49 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby5959 View Post
Nothing like the new boat smell , so they tell me I wouldnít know . Iím glad people are buying new boats so there are used boats for people like me . I very much like the boat that youíre buying, I wonder if you could get one without a flybridge
With the way the used market has been, the value received for the price paid narrowed the distance sufficiently for me. Good if you are a seller, not so good as a buyer.

We looked, but at the time there was almost no boats fitting our criteria and those that were remotely close were gone within a day.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:17 PM   #35

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In transit)
Quote:
Helmsman has what appears to me to be a tried and true process for delivering a high quality boat. That is usually accomplished by doing the same thing over and over again, while making incremental changes that add up to big improvements. Having said that, the company is very flexible in terms of getting the boat to you with the modifications that you would like to have.

They are very open to possible changes, while being clear about modifications perhaps tried or suggested before that may have a downside to them that perhaps the purchaser wasn't thinking about. To me, open discussions about this were important, because it would be easy to "over commit" to a change that might be regretted later. Scott and Gary both helped a lot in these discussions with their knowledge. I was very impressed with this aspect of it.

Over the years of developing the boats, there have been various options requested and incorporated into them that bring satisfaction to the owner. My "options" were minor compared to John's (N4061) changes, in which the footprint of the salon was reversed from port to starboard. I liked what he did, but would not want to give up the full height refrigerator for an under counter one. One of John's concepts was the 90% rule, which I think many experienced buyers of boats intuitively use when looking at both new and used boats. The same was true for us, as we moved 12 times around the country during our working years. The same applies to boats.

We decided on the Cummins (480 hp version) for propulsion. We don't need a lot of speed, but there are times where river current and or tidal currents may make us happy that we went with the larger engine. As a result of the engine size, it was suggested to also get trim tabs, which we did.

Since we are eastern river boaters, with the occasional east and gulf coast trips, we started the rest of our option list with a generator and two HVAC heating, cooling systems. We had two HVACS in the Carver, and they were sufficient to heat and cool that boat. There was at least one prior build with three HVAC's on a 38E which home ported in the Charleston SC area, but we felt we would be ok with two, again based upon experience. After sleeping on the Carver in hot summer weather on the hook once without AC, we knew that no AC would be a show stopper on any boat. If we were in the Pacific NW, I am not sure that it would have been a requirement.

We stayed with the 6kw Northern Lights generator with it's excellent reputation. I was a little concerned with whether it was a sufficient KW size for the boat, but after some good discussion decided to stay with it.

Since we knew we needed a gennie, the next step was to go with an induction cooktop with the convection microwave installed underneath it instead of using a propane stove. I realize that propane versus electric is a personal design choice for the purchaser with strong opinions either way. It was easy for me because my wife wanted it this way, and so that is what we are doing. We found on our previous boat we didn't use the cook top that much preferring to grill outside and will probably do the same with this boat with a small magnum grill.

We decided on an arch as opposed to the mast. We like the look of the arch more than the mast (again personal design choice), and also like the ability it gives to "spread" the electronics.

We added side doors to both pilot house bulwarks, and to the cockpit. The forward side doors will help with the times I single hand, while the cockpit side doors will be the main access to the boat, for the most part. We also added a set of cleats to the cockpit area.

More on the options to follow.
We heard from Scott Helker that your hull and deck are in the molds and will be removed by the end of next week. He expects ours will start by the end of the month.

We elected to go with the standard engine which is also the standard engine for the 43. We opted for a generator set, solar panels and a full bank of batteries. We also selected a pipe hoist, cockpit side doors and a gunwale door at the starboard pilot house door.

We went with an all electric galley and hydronic heating. We’re thinking about adding a Reverso oil change system. We visited a 38E that just returned from Alaska that had one installed. The owner highly recommended it.

We went for a radar arch, mostly because it frees up deck space and makes enclosing the fly bridge more straight forward. We’re going with a Bimini top for now with the idea that we could adapt it to a full enclosure. Our plan is to stow our Hobie pedal kayaks on the boat deck and carry the dinghy on swim step davits. We’ll use the hoist to raise and lower the kayaks and our bikes.

We requested a list of systems and appliances so we could start looking at online manuals. Kinani from Helmsman immediately sent us a great list of all the components with links to the relevant online documents.

We’re also getting close to settling on a name.
Doug_Snider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:33 PM   #36

I love the grey! It reminds me of cashmere or London Fog! It will be beautiful!
Old 09-10-2021, 10:24 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Snider View Post
We heard from Scott Helker that your hull and deck are in the molds and will be removed by the end of next week. He expects ours will start by the end of the month.

We elected to go with the standard engine which is also the standard engine for the 43. We opted for a generator set, solar panels and a full bank of batteries. We also selected a pipe hoist, cockpit side doors and a gunwale door at the starboard pilot house door.

We went with an all electric galley and hydronic heating. We’re thinking about adding a Reverso oil change system. We visited a 38E that just returned from Alaska that had one installed. The owner highly recommended it.

We went for a radar arch, mostly because it frees up deck space and makes enclosing the fly bridge more straight forward. We’re going with a Bimini top for now with the idea that we could adapt it to a full enclosure. Our plan is to stow our Hobie pedal kayaks on the boat deck and carry the dinghy on swim step davits. We’ll use the hoist to raise and lower the kayaks and our bikes.

We requested a list of systems and appliances so we could start looking at online manuals. Kinani from Helmsman immediately sent us a great list of all the components with links to the relevant online documents.

We’re also getting close to settling on a name.
We decided against the Reverso. Most who have it like the convenience and I can’t blame them. I have a pump and container I use to change fluids and didn’t feel the need for it. Yes, mine is underway and has been for about three weeks. Thanks for the tip on the list of systems and appliances. That is a good idea that I will request from Kinani also.

Our flybridge on the previous boat was fully enclosed, but with the inside helm, I have decided not to do that. We plan to use the upper deck for get togethers and will put the dinghy on the swim platform.
Old 09-11-2021, 12:48 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E
Quote:
We also like the wide steps to the fly bridge, and the higher than usual railings that Helmsman supplies. We look at this boat as our last rodeo with large boats, so safety as we age is important to be able to continue to use it. Safe access is important, particularly for those of us who are not getting any younger!
These are two of the features that drew us to the Helmsman 38E. Iím Doug Sniderís (Hull 50) wife and we were involved in a bad car accident 3 years ago and I lost most of my right hand. I couldnít get out to the bow of our 3288 anymore and we werenít ready to give up on boating so we started looking for a boat that would be comfortable and safer for me. The 38E meets our requirements beautifully.
PattiS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 12:59 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattiS View Post
These are two of the features that drew us to the Helmsman 38E. Iím Doug Sniderís (Hull 50) wife and we were involved in a bad car accident 3 years ago and I lost most of my right hand. I couldnít get out to the bow of our 3288 anymore and we werenít ready to give up on boating so we started looking for a boat that would be comfortable and safer for me. The 38E meets our requirements beautifully.
Wifey B: So sorry to hear of your accident.

So happy to read of your perseverance and determination and glad you found a boat that would allow you to continue boating.

So many happy Helmswoman owners here. Oh I like that, you should say you're getting a Helmswoman 38E since you're such a significant part of the choice.

Can't help it, I just concluded an hour web call with two 7 year old girls back home while I'm out playing around. They make me feel fun and giggly like I hope your new Helmswoman 38E does. Someone should let Scott know that he has an additional brand now. If he's wise, he'll quickly trademark it and I won't even ask for credit.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:09 PM   #40

Helmswoman! Yes! Has a nice ring to it! From this day forward this, is whom I shall be! Great coin of the phrase Wifey B and Patti S. Woman power for sure!!!!