Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Congratulations!

That
Looks
GREAT

Reports on your experience with it will be read with great interest.
FWT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:34 PM   #242

City: Sidney
Vessel Name: Water Music
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E
The graphics were done by Margaux of Margaux Marine Graphics. We asked Scott for suggestions and he gave us two names, typical Scott he did not push one over the other. We contacted Margaux and were impressed from the start. She did a great job working with us, remotely, to design the graphics and even showing us mock-ups on photos of a 38 hull. We are very impressed with Margaux and in my opinion her price is very reasonable. I have no hesitation in recommending Margaux if you wish graphics done in Seattle.
Water Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:40 PM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Great looking boat! Two questions for you. What size chartplotter is that on the helm? And, where did you find the registration tag you have hanging off of the railing?
The chart plotter is 16 inches, told the largest you can fit on the console, and the registration is a dealers registration. We do not have the boat yet - it has to be delivered to us in Sidney BC and that is dependent on the weather
Old 10-26-2021, 06:45 PM   #244
Veteran Member

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
You must be getting so excited. We’re still about 6-7 months out. Congratulations!
PattiS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:52 PM   #245
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Music View Post
The chart plotter is 16 inches, told the largest you can fit on the console, and the registration is a dealers registration. We do not have the boat yet - it has to be delivered to us in Sidney BC and that is dependent on the weather
Thank you. I like the way you laid out the helm. Looks really good.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 02:21 PM   #246
Veteran Member

Quote:
Is today the day for your boat?
Old 10-28-2021, 02:30 PM   #247
Veteran Member

City: Malletts Bay, Vermont
Yeah, that helm looks really clean.

newt
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:27 PM   #248

Water Music has made it home to Van Isle marina in Sidney. She arrived just before noon but it took about an hour and a half to clear Canadian Customs. She is now safely tucked into her berth and we have had our first lunch on board. Though it was a grey, wet day on the island it was a bright day for us. Now for me to get to know and understand all the systems. Spent the afternoon crawling around inside. Great news - the diesel heater works.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0379.jpg   IMG_0381.jpg   IMG_0383.jpg   IMG_0385.jpg  
Old 10-28-2021, 08:51 PM   #249
Veteran Member

That’s great. You must be absolutely thrilled. She looks beautiful!
Old 10-28-2021, 10:06 PM   #250
Guru

Great times! The boat looks good! Thanks for the pictures.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:25 AM   #251

City: Victoria
Welcome to the ‘hood. We are just around the corner from you with our Helmsman 38E hull #42. Learning systems as well as we took possession on October 1.
Wagamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:24 AM   #252
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagamama View Post
Welcome to the ‘hood. We are just around the corner from you with our Helmsman 38E hull #42. Learning systems as well as we took possession on October 1.
Hi there! If you don’t mind the ask, what led you to building the Helmsman and how was the first month of ownership?
Old 10-29-2021, 10:28 AM   #253

City: Victoria
We are the second owners, first one decided to order a 43 after realizing that they could use a second stateroom. We met them when they took delivery of it and had done a lot of research on the 38. Came close to ordering a new one but the first mate was hung up on the lack of potential speed. I showed her how an 8 knot lifestyle was possible by running our previous boat at 8 knots over the last year. Takes a bit more planning in terms of wind, current and weather window forecasts. Very happy so far, will continue running throughout the winter and looking forward to our annual April cruise to the Broughtons.
Wagamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:48 AM   #254
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagamama View Post
We are the second owners, first one decided to order a 43 after realizing that they could use a second stateroom. We met them when they took delivery of it and had done a lot of research on the 38. Came close to ordering a new one but the first mate was hung up on the lack of potential speed. I showed her how an 8 knot lifestyle was possible by running our previous boat at 8 knots over the last year. Takes a bit more planning in terms of wind, current and weather window forecasts. Very happy so far, will continue running throughout the winter and looking forward to our annual April cruise to the Broughtons.
Thanks!

The second state room was one of my wife’s hang ups. After we looked at the 38E, and thought about who actually travels with us (close family) we figured that the second stateroom wasn’t that big of a deal. We like the idea of being able to “close off” half the salon area with the convertible salon sofa and the day head being available to guests.

We also went with the convertible pilot house sofa for grandkids.

When it is just me out with my friends, there will be plenty of places to sleep.

Speed was the other issue for her. She was used to a two engine planing cruiser. I pointed out to her that we hardly ever went faster than 12 mph in that boat and typically cruised at 9mph. She got over it pretty quickly when we first boarded a 38E to look at the interior.

Glad it worked out for you to get the boat!
Old 10-30-2021, 08:22 PM   #255
Veteran Member

City: Henry Island, WA
Vessel Name: Embark
Vessel Model: 38E Helmsman - #51
Quote:
Water Music has made it home to Van Isle marina in Sidney. She arrived just before noon but it took about an hour and a half to clear Canadian Customs. She is now safely tucked into her berth and we have had our first lunch on board. Though it was a grey, wet day on the island it was a bright day for us. Now for me to get to know and understand all the systems. Spent the afternoon crawling around inside. Great news - the diesel heater works.

Congratulations!!! We are so excited for you. She really looks beautiful. Once our boat arrives we'll come for a visit to Sydney. Be sure to take some pictures once you've got it all decked out.
Tom-Jill-Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 08:24 PM   #256
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
Great info. Killing me though. My delivery is May of 2023. Womp.

What hull number are you?
Old 10-30-2021, 08:26 PM   #257
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Snider View Post
Your post was very timely. Scott notified us today that our build (Hull No. 50), to be christened “Alba Bella”, has begun. We decided on a Helmsman 38E for most of the features you mentioned. We’re hoping for a late spring 2022 delivery. Just seeing a photo of the empty mold is exciting.

Our Shelter Bay Yacht Club did a cruise that included two days in Port Ludlow in 2019. We really enjoyed your hospitality. I hope we’ll be returning again soon.

Congratulations on being in the mold. That is very exciting. Can't wait until it's our turn. We're next #51.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:28 PM   #258
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Yes, Scott and Van let us know that our boat is out of the mold. So exciting times!

Congratulations for moving up to the next step. Do you know what and when in the next milestone?
Old 10-30-2021, 08:59 PM   #259
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-Jill-Lilly View Post
Congratulations for moving up to the next step. Do you know what and when in the next milestone?
I guess the milestones would be how one chooses to define them. When the topside gets attached to the hull, to me that might be the next big step. Of course, prior to that most of the systems and a lot of the interior work will be completed, so that might be some time before the top side is attached. I am looking forward to the engine and Generator installation.

Once you hear the boat is started, you will receive updates about every week or so. Enjoyable process.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:41 PM   #260
Veteran Member

Our first milestone was the completion of the gelcoat last Sunday. That is the very first step in the build process. Knowing that our boat had start was huge.