Old 10-22-2021, 04:50 PM   #201
Veteran Member

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Kiskadee
Vessel Model: Helmsman 46 Hull#1
Looks like several 38E new builds are in progress. Congratulations! I wanted to say a few words about our 38E, hull 40, a new build which arrived in late October 2019.

Our Helmsman 38E (hull 40), christened MV Kiskadee, arrived in Seattle in late October 2019. Since then, we have enjoyed cruising the San Juans, Puget Sound and Hood Canal. Canada was closed last year, so we’re planning now for our extended Alaska trip in 2022.

We are extremely happy and comfortable with our 38E. We have put over 500 hours on the Cummins 380 without any hiccups since we took delivery. We’ve not had any mechanical or other operating problems. The truth is, that overall, she is well designed, well built, well appointed, with excellent fit and finish. So, for those who have chosen Helmsman 38E or 43, you've made a great choice.

I’ll mention some of the aspects of the 38E which we really like. Externally, the textured deck makes moving around safely especially with the sturdy handrails. A classy standard feature is the stainless-steel Bruce anchor, for which we’ve had a lot of compliments! Steps to the flybridge are well spaced and easy to climb safely: great handrails, once again. The flybridge is roomy at the helm, with two captains’ chairs. Aft of the mast our 11 ft Achilles dinghy fits nicely athwart. We have a Nick Jackson #600 davit which is compact and easily operated. Our choice to keep the dinghy and OB below 300 lbs is aimed at mitigating roll in beam seas.

In the cockpit are the port and starboard bulwark doors, and one on the transom. Those doors make getting on and off easily and safely at dockside. We use the bulwark doors for access to the dinghy alongside when we are at anchor. We chose not to have staples on the swim platform for a cleaner look.

Internally, the layout is well planned. As you enter through the solid sliding door at the cockpit, the pleasing and well-balanced appearance of the salon makes us feel at home immediately. The beautiful craftmanship of the wooden finish throughout the vessel gives the interior a warm feel. We have the standard layout with the galley to starboard, and dining area to port. Appliances are of excellent quality and ours have functioned flawlessly. We enjoy the more than adequate storage and beautifully crafted storage cabinets. The overhead fold down glass/dish storage cabinets, both double and single, increase dish storage and when up, are totally out of the way. The large, double sided storage cabinet on the port side, adjacent to guest head, is enormous. The counter top of this cabinet holds our TV and DVD player, with easy access to the 110v outlet. The pilothouse is roomy, with a nice chart locker, cabinets and drawers. Visibility at the helm is excellent, especially looking aft through the cutout when going in reverse or stern-in at a slip.

The single stateroom is very comfortable, with closets and shelves on both sides of the bed. The under-bed drawers are easily accessible places for storing sheets and towels. The queen size mattress is of excellent quality and firmness. Wider steps, high along each side of the bed, simplifies making of the bed. We especially like the separate head and shower, a standard 38E feature. This split arrangement is one of the reasons we chose the 38E. Another is the day head off the salon, very convenient when guests are on board.

Other nice and thoughtful standard features: adjustable overhead LED lights in every compartment, sliding doors of the pilothouse, engine access via the bulkhead door in the day head, engine compartments with enough room to work, large lazarette, sound proofing, and interior hand rails. For useful options, we added extra 110v/USB outlets in the cockpit, and pilothouse, 5KW genset, reverso and extra batteries.

I know you will feel the same way about your new 38E after taking delivery, and finally, thanks to Scott, Lisa and Van, for making our PNW cruising in MV Kiskadee such a wonderful experience.
chanprr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:28 PM   #202

City: Sequim
Vessel Name: M/V Waterhorse
Vessel Model: Awaiting a Helmsman 38E, Hull#52
Thank you for your great review! Your comments create even more excitement in taking delivery of our 38E next summer, hull #52. They are such beautiful boats and we hope to see you on the water sometime in 2022!
Nancy n Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:32 PM   #203
Veteran Member

City: Malletts Bay, Vermont
Great info. Killing me though. My delivery is May of 2023. Womp.
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:45 PM   #204

City: La Conner
Vessel Name: Alba Bella
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38E (In transit)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanprr View Post
Looks like several 38E new builds are in progress. Congratulations! I wanted to say a few words about our 38E, hull 40, a new build which arrived in late October 2019.

Our Helmsman 38E (hull 40), christened MV Kiskadee, arrived in Seattle in late October 2019. Since then, we have enjoyed cruising the San Juans, Puget Sound and Hood Canal. Canada was closed last year, so we’re planning now for our extended Alaska trip in 2022.

We are extremely happy and comfortable with our 38E. We have put over 500 hours on the Cummins 380 without any hiccups since we took delivery. We’ve not had any mechanical or other operating problems. The truth is, that overall, she is well designed, well built, well appointed, with excellent fit and finish. So, for those who have chosen Helmsman 38E or 43, you've made a great choice.
Your post was very timely. Scott notified us today that our build (Hull No. 50), to be christened “Alba Bella”, has begun. We decided on a Helmsman 38E for most of the features you mentioned. We’re hoping for a late spring 2022 delivery. Just seeing a photo of the empty mold is exciting.

Our Shelter Bay Yacht Club did a cruise that included two days in Port Ludlow in 2019. We really enjoyed your hospitality. I hope we’ll be returning again soon.
Doug_Snider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:54 PM   #205
Guru

City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Quote:

I’ll mention some of the aspects of the 38E which we really like. Externally, the textured deck makes moving around safely especially with the sturdy handrails. A classy standard feature is the stainless-steel Bruce anchor, for which we’ve had a lot of compliments! Steps to the flybridge are well spaced and easy to climb safely: great handrails, once again. The flybridge is roomy at the helm, with two captains’ chairs. Aft of the mast our 11 ft Achilles dinghy fits nicely athwart. We have a Nick Jackson #600 davit which is compact and easily operated. Our choice to keep the dinghy and OB below 300 lbs is aimed at mitigating roll in beam seas.

In the cockpit are the port and starboard bulwark doors, and one on the transom. Those doors make getting on and off easily and safely at dockside. We use the bulwark doors for access to the dinghy alongside when we are at anchor. We chose not to have staples on the swim platform for a cleaner look.

Internally, the layout is well planned. As you enter through the solid sliding door at the cockpit, the pleasing and well-balanced appearance of the salon makes us feel at home immediately. The beautiful craftmanship of the wooden finish throughout the vessel gives the interior a warm feel. We have the standard layout with the galley to starboard, and dining area to port. Appliances are of excellent quality and ours have functioned flawlessly. We enjoy the more than adequate storage and beautifully crafted storage cabinets. The overhead fold down glass/dish storage cabinets, both double and single, increase dish storage and when up, are totally out of the way. The large, double sided storage cabinet on the port side, adjacent to guest head, is enormous. The counter top of this cabinet holds our TV and DVD player, with easy access to the 110v outlet. The pilothouse is roomy, with a nice chart locker, cabinets and drawers. Visibility at the helm is excellent, especially looking aft through the cutout when going in reverse or stern-in at a slip.

The single stateroom is very comfortable, with closets and shelves on both sides of the bed. The under-bed drawers are easily accessible places for storing sheets and towels. The queen size mattress is of excellent quality and firmness. Wider steps, high along each side of the bed, simplifies making of the bed. We especially like the separate head and shower, a standard 38E feature. This split arrangement is one of the reasons we chose the 38E. Another is the day head off the salon, very convenient when guests are on board.

Other nice and thoughtful standard features: adjustable overhead LED lights in every compartment, sliding doors of the pilothouse, engine access via the bulkhead door in the day head, engine compartments with enough room to work, large lazarette, sound proofing, and interior hand rails. For useful options, we added extra 110v/USB outlets in the cockpit, and pilothouse, 5KW genset, reverso and extra batteries.

I know you will feel the same way about your new 38E after taking delivery, and finally, thanks to Scott, Lisa and Van, for making our PNW cruising in MV Kiskadee such a wonderful experience.

Thanks much for the well done review. You hit on all the points that we like about the boat. Great to hear about how good the fit is for you.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:55 PM   #206
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Snider View Post
Your post was very timely. Scott notified us today that our build (Hull No. 50), to be christened “Alba Bella”, has begun. We decided on a Helmsman 38E for most of the features you mentioned. We’re hoping for a late spring 2022 delivery. Just seeing a photo of the empty mold is exciting.

Our Shelter Bay Yacht Club did a cruise that included two days in Port Ludlow in 2019. We really enjoyed your hospitality. I hope we’ll be returning again soon.

Yes, Scott and Van let us know that our boat is out of the mold. So exciting times!
Old 10-23-2021, 10:08 AM   #207
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Name: Resilient
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Great stuff everyone. Thanks for sharing.

In the meantime this popped up in my Facebook feed. You may have seen it.

http://https://www.helmsmantrawlers....1OrUF1bbQMokF4
FWT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:23 AM   #208
FWT
Guru

Try this link instead

http://https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/news/blog/
Old 10-23-2021, 01:50 PM   #209
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWT View Post
I assume this is what you're aiming for.

https://www.helmsmantrawlers.com/news/blog/

You doubled up on http.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 02:31 PM   #210
FWT
Guru

Indeed. Thanks. Too late for me to edit. Darned iphone.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:23 PM   #211
Guru

Quote:
Indeed. Thanks. Too late for me to edit. Darned iphone.
Thanks for posting. That was a good read!
Old 10-23-2021, 05:23 PM   #212
Veteran Member

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Hull No. 56 TBA
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38e
Quote:

Thanks for the great post! We wish we could join you in Alaska next summer but at number 56 we are about a year from delivery.

You may see a couple of people walking the docks in Port Ludlow and stopping to take a long look at Kiskadee...we never seem to get enough of looking at Helmsman 38s
Nancy and Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:34 PM   #213
Guru

I must ask this and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, but is Scott telling new customers about Trawler Forum? Just seem like a lot showing up here recently. Or are you somehow finding out from others who are already here? So the question is how are all the new Helmsman buyers finding their way here?

Whatever is happening, I wish other reputable builders had the same. It's great to see you lined up in builds and sharing with each other. The Helmsman community is special.

A bit of a bold approach too because if there were problems, they'd quickly be shared, but the company also knows they would quickly address them.

Nordhavn has this type of brand enthusiasm and Hatteras always had it and still does on the Sam's site.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:50 PM   #214
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I must ask this and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, but is Scott telling new customers about Trawler Forum? Just seem like a lot showing up here recently. Or are you somehow finding out from others who are already here? So the question is how are all the new Helmsman buyers finding their way here?

Whatever is happening, I wish other reputable builders had the same. It's great to see you lined up in builds and sharing with each other. The Helmsman community is special.

A bit of a bold approach too because if there were problems, they'd quickly be shared, but the company also knows they would quickly address them.

Nordhavn has this type of brand enthusiasm and Hatteras always had it and still does on the Sam's site.
No, Scott never mentioned trawler forum to me. I would attribute some of the interest here to John’s (N0461) posts a couple of years ago. I started looking at the Helmsmen after I read some of his thread.

My only interactions with Scott post contract signing has been in regards to a few questions that pop up and the occasional updates from Helmsman on the build.

If you knew Scott, you would find that he is a humble, focused business person who is very concerned about the quality of the boat. I don’t want to speak for him or the Helmsman team but don’t think that soliciting posts on any forum would be their style at all.

I think it is no more than the interest showed by any new set of boat owners with builds under way. Part of it may also be due to the level of customization that Helmsman offers. That provides some fodder for discussion, also. And, they are quality, well thought out boats.

Finally, folks who are current owners are also participating which I certainly appreciate. We can learn from other owners who have “been there, done that”.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:24 PM   #215
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
No, Scott never mentioned trawler forum to me. I would attribute some of the interest here to John’s (N0461) posts a couple of years ago. I started looking at the Helmsmen after I read some of his thread.

My only interactions with Scott post contract signing has been in regards to a few questions that pop up and the occasional updates from Helmsman on the build.

If you knew Scott, you would find that he is a humble, focused business person who is very concerned about the quality of the boat. I don’t want to speak for him or the Helmsman team but don’t think that soliciting posts on any forum would be their style at all.

I think it is no more than the interest showed by any new set of boat owners with builds under way. Part of it may also be due to the level of customization that Helmsman offers. That provides some fodder for discussion, also. And, they are quality, well thought out boats.

Finally, folks who are current owners are also participating which I certainly appreciate. We can learn from other owners who have “been there, done that”.
I wasn't thinking he was soliciting posts, but informing others that they could read the posts of owners on this site wouldn't be inappropriate at all. If I was him, I'd be proud of the Helmsman following here. I just always wonder how a first time poster finds their way here. Is it through google and John or other owners or how? I couldn't even tell you now how we found the forum, but imagine it was via google and looking for boating forums.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:20 PM   #216
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I wasn't thinking he was soliciting posts, but informing others that they could read the posts of owners on this site wouldn't be inappropriate at all. If I was him, I'd be proud of the Helmsman following here. I just always wonder how a first time poster finds their way here. Is it through google and John or other owners or how? I couldn't even tell you now how we found the forum, but imagine it was via google and looking for boating forums.
My personal situation was as follows.

I sold a 40 foot Carver in late 2019. Wasn’t planning on going with another larger boat, but the “itch” got to me. Started looking in early 2020, casually. Went down to look at a Beneteau ST 35. The salon size and some quality issues nixed that with one visit.

Started searching trawlers and came across this forum. Compared prices and “apparent quality” of boats. Started reading a lot of posts on Helmsman. Read a few good things about Scott and his team. Received a couple of PM’s from folks in regards to the trust they had in the company. So I settled on Helmsman, made a trip out to look at one, and decided to take the plunge.

It checked the attributes of quality, simplicity, and value for me. And I trust the company. Which is probably the most important thing for me. I don’t need anymore drama out if the boating industry at my age!
Old 10-23-2021, 09:33 PM   #217
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
My personal situation was as follows.

I sold a 40 foot Carver in late 2019. Wasn’t planning on going with another larger boat, but the “itch” got to me. Started looking in early 2020, casually. Went down to look at a Beneteau ST 35. The salon size and some quality issues nixed that with one visit.

Started searching trawlers and came across this forum. Compared prices and “apparent quality” of boats. Started reading a lot of posts on Helmsman. Read a few good things about Scott and his team. Received a couple of PM’s from folks in regards to the trust they had in the company. So I settled on Helmsman, made a trip out to look at one, and decided to take the plunge.

It checked the attributes of quality, simplicity, and value for me. And I trust the company. Which is probably the most important thing for me. I don’t need anymore drama out if the boating industry at my age!
I love to see the burgeoning new Helmsman buyers here. It's positive in every way. I've personally recommended Helmsman and do so without hesitation. I love to see positive posts about good builders because there are some excellent builders around. Then I hate to see efforts to troll promoting untrustworthy builders and speak out on those. I think it's also great to really explain how a builder works and their processes. It helps the builder, too, as don't expect Builder A to follow the same procedures as Builder B. Have reasonable expectations. For instance, the only negative I've seen on Helmsman is they'll likely miss the schedule. However, it won't be by a huge amount just a bit. On the other hand I followed N4061's build and was ready to nominate Scott for sainthood and it surely showed Helmsman in a great light.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:44 PM   #218
FWT
Guru

Speaking for myself, not once has Scott encouraged the use of this site as any sales related resource.

He is aware of what is posted, as well he should be. You will notice he has on rare occasion shown up to correct something or otherwise chip in comments where appropriate. He did that with John's extended thread years ago, and did so here recently. Appropriately, in my view.

How did I find this site? No mystery, just a google search looking for good boating sites.

How did I find Helmsman? No big mystery. I was hunting for the "right" boat. I found it. I was looking for small enough but big enough. I was looking for something sturdy and seaworthy, and the hull came before the amenities. I was looking for build quality. I was looking for a builder I thought trustworthy, honest, and reliable.

In looking for "small enough but big enough" I started smaller and worked up. I started out musing about a more New England style of boat, sedan, no flybridge. I wasn't seeing anything that just grabbed me. Then my wife decided she really wanted a flybridge, which had not been a particular need for me. Basic hunting through boats led me to the Camano which had some instant appeal. Discovering it was still built as the H31 was an exciting find. I spent time pondering it. I reached out with a quick email question and was astonished at the speed and perfect response from the head guy, Scott. That was my introduction. Scott answered a lot of key questions for me. In the end I concluded it was not enough boat for me, and as a retirement boat the side deck access to the foredeck seemed to be a risk where it would not be for younger people. So I began quizzing Scott on the H38, and the more I dug into it the more I liked it. The pilothouse over a sedan style. The flybridge was perfect for us. And so forth on detail after detail. Build quality was evident, and thoughtfulness on so many details.

The boat struck me as "refined" in the sense that years of fine-tuning it had led to constant improvement. It struck me as a boat built by a boater, for boaters. Built to be used, and built to be maintained well. Not a dock queen sort of design of the sort shown in the glamour ads featuring wine and bikini models.

I am not the kind of guy who will push my way onto boats just for giggles. When I was already "sold" in my own mind, Scott arranged for me to see one on the hard (due to the season). That was actually an advantage for me, because for me its hull first, and I could best see the hull. Loved what I saw. Loved what I saw in build quality. Its what I had been searching for, and found.

Along the way, I will say John's thread on his build was quite helpful. Quite. It fleshed out some things and confirmed what I thought I knew.

Scott is an amazing resource. I have tried along the way not to pester him, but inevitably I probably did. All questions were responded to instantly and completely, with an eye to really trying to understand what "I" wanted and what the real question was. At each turn the answers have been geared toward what customizations etc. will get ME where I want to be.

If I have just one piece of advice for anyone beginning the same journey with any interest in a Helmsman, it would be to just reach out to Scott and Helmsman and begin a conversation. Do not hesitate.

So did John help make the sale? I'd say yes. Thanks John! Did other posts by Helmsman owners help? Yes as well. Along with every article and YouTube clip I could find, especially those produced by Helmsman, and seeing the boat.

But, it was the boat itself and Scott as builder that really did it.

So now we wait and plan. Fantasize about cruises to come. Plan the lists of outfitting and equipping to be done.

Still miles to go before we sleep. But a great journey so far.

Lastly, why the recent surge of sales?

Look around at options and see what you see. Compare. If what you want is speed you can go the Nordic or Am Tug route, and nothing wrong with that. If you want rugged and close to displacement speed, show me another boat that tops it, pound for pound and dollar for dollar. And if the standard Helmsman isn't exactly for you, customize it. There is nothing out there that I know of that comes close to the boat, or to the value, or to the experience with the builder.

My 2 cents. Or 2 dollars given the length.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:01 PM   #219

City: Sequim
Vessel Name: M/V Waterhorse
Vessel Model: Awaiting a Helmsman 38E, Hull#52
“My little horse will NOT give her harness bell a shake” until summer 2022! “ I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep! “ Helmsman 38E, MV Waterhorse! It will certainly be worth the wait!
Nancy n Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 05:51 AM   #220
Guru

Quote:
Speaking for myself, not once has Scott encouraged the use of this site as any sales related resource.

He is aware of what is posted, as well he should be. You will notice he has on rare occasion shown up to correct something or otherwise chip in comments where appropriate. He did that with John's extended thread years ago, and did so here recently. Appropriately, in my view.

How did I find this site? No mystery, just a google search looking for good boating sites.

How did I find Helmsman? No big mystery. I was hunting for the "right" boat. I found it. I was looking for small enough but big enough. I was looking for something sturdy and seaworthy, and the hull came before the amenities. I was looking for build quality. I was looking for a builder I thought trustworthy, honest, and reliable.

In looking for "small enough but big enough" I started smaller and worked up. I started out musing about a more New England style of boat, sedan, no flybridge. I wasn't seeing anything that just grabbed me. Then my wife decided she really wanted a flybridge, which had not been a particular need for me. Basic hunting through boats led me to the Camano which had some instant appeal. Discovering it was still built as the H31 was an exciting find. I spent time pondering it. I reached out with a quick email question and was astonished at the speed and perfect response from the head guy, Scott. That was my introduction. Scott answered a lot of key questions for me. In the end I concluded it was not enough boat for me, and as a retirement boat the side deck access to the foredeck seemed to be a risk where it would not be for younger people. So I began quizzing Scott on the H38, and the more I dug into it the more I liked it. The pilothouse over a sedan style. The flybridge was perfect for us. And so forth on detail after detail. Build quality was evident, and thoughtfulness on so many details.

The boat struck me as "refined" in the sense that years of fine-tuning it had led to constant improvement. It struck me as a boat built by a boater, for boaters. Built to be used, and built to be maintained well. Not a dock queen sort of design of the sort shown in the glamour ads featuring wine and bikini models.

I am not the kind of guy who will push my way onto boats just for giggles. When I was already "sold" in my own mind, Scott arranged for me to see one on the hard (due to the season). That was actually an advantage for me, because for me its hull first, and I could best see the hull. Loved what I saw. Loved what I saw in build quality. Its what I had been searching for, and found.

Along the way, I will say John's thread on his build was quite helpful. Quite. It fleshed out some things and confirmed what I thought I knew.

Scott is an amazing resource. I have tried along the way not to pester him, but inevitably I probably did. All questions were responded to instantly and completely, with an eye to really trying to understand what "I" wanted and what the real question was. At each turn the answers have been geared toward what customizations etc. will get ME where I want to be.

If I have just one piece of advice for anyone beginning the same journey with any interest in a Helmsman, it would be to just reach out to Scott and Helmsman and begin a conversation. Do not hesitate.

So did John help make the sale? I'd say yes. Thanks John! Did other posts by Helmsman owners help? Yes as well. Along with every article and YouTube clip I could find, especially those produced by Helmsman, and seeing the boat.

But, it was the boat itself and Scott as builder that really did it.

So now we wait and plan. Fantasize about cruises to come. Plan the lists of outfitting and equipping to be done.

Still miles to go before we sleep. But a great journey so far.

Lastly, why the recent surge of sales?

Look around at options and see what you see. Compare. If what you want is speed you can go the Nordic or Am Tug route, and nothing wrong with that. If you want rugged and close to displacement speed, show me another boat that tops it, pound for pound and dollar for dollar. And if the standard Helmsman isn't exactly for you, customize it. There is nothing out there that I know of that comes close to the boat, or to the value, or to the experience with the builder.

My 2 cents. Or 2 dollars given the length.
Very well put. One thing I neglected to state is that Carver owners (out of business now) have a very active forum site, which was very helpful in many ways.

This site was very helpful to me in doing research, as was the MTOA. I used both in narrowing down what “I was really looking for.”