Adding cleats to my boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FWIW, we've "color-coded" our lines, different for bow/stern versus springs... to address almost exactly that issue.

Wifey didn't have much trouble, but for several years we were taking Wounded Warriors out fishing and when some were eager to help on our return... it was faster/easier to call out colors instead of functions.

-Chris

I put some adhesive lined shrink tube on some of our lines to differentiate between them. The long spring lines have green on the end. The short fender whips have red and the regular length lines have no color on them.

If I color code mine at all (we haven't yet), it will be by length, not purpose. When grabbing a line to use, the admiral sometimes has trouble telling the difference between a 25 and a 35. But when traveling, we don't always use the same lengths for a given purpose. Depending on the cleat layout on the dock or how well I know what to expect, we may use 25 footers bow and stern and a 35 as a spring for the initial set on approach, or we may use 35 footers bow and stern and a 50 as a spring.

If I color code mine at all (we haven't yet), it will be by length, not purpose. When grabbing a line to use, the admiral sometimes has trouble telling the difference between a 25 and a 35. But when traveling, we don't always use the same lengths for a given purpose. Depending on the cleat layout on the dock or how well I know what to expect, we may use 25 footers bow and stern and a 35 as a spring for the initial set on approach, or we may use 35 footers bow and stern and a 50 as a spring.

That is what we did.

Good point.

Although most all of ours are 35' anyway. We'll often return to a bow cleat after a turn around the dock pile/cleat, and the extra length helps that sometimes.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom