2003+ Camano 31 engine options / differences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TollyLucia

Veteran Member
Forgive me if this is common knowledge or somewhere searchable (I tried), but I have fallen in love with the Camano 31 and am a few months away from buying one. I have been reading and researching to include looking at the current boat market.

One thing I have not been able to get straight is what engines were offered in what years. Now I am currently only looking at 2003 and newer for the larger fuel tanks and standard bow thruster. I am also only looking at boats with a generator, if that matters. I am happy to learn about older models though so chime in if you know.

I have seen a 2004 with a Volvo D4, a 2003 with the more common TAMD41-P and then a 2006 with a Yanmar 4LHA.

I know Camano's were somewhat built to order, were engines an option to each original owners? Were they offered as standard in certain years? If so, are they all about equal or any I should I avoid?

I'm hoping someone can set me straight. Thank you very much!

John

When we had our 2005 built we had the choice of the TAMD41 or the D4. The D4 came at a higher price and we passed on it.

From the Camano 31 Handbbok:

Most of the Camano 28s (now called Camano 31s) have
been equipped with Volvo diesel engines. Very early Camanos had four-cylinder Volvo engines but
this soon gave way to the 150 HP six-cylinder turbo-charged engine, and more recently, a 200 HP
Volvo six-cylinder turbo-charged and after-cooled engine (TAMD41P) was installed as standard
equipment. The TAMD41P was replaced with the four-cylinder D4 in 2007. In 2009, the Yanmar
6BY was standard with the Volvo D4 optional.

We have a 2002 with the Volvo engine and love it.

Dave

John: Good luck in your search! I was in your "boat" last July when I was shopping for Camano 31's.

I was initially looking to buy a "newer" model as well. But I couldn't justify the cost of shipping one via trailer. I was seriously considering one in CA and another one in AL. I got uShip quotes from $4400-$6800 for the AL boat and closer to $10k (total) for the California rig. These were ballpark figures... The CA boat had an aftermarket fixed radar arch w / open array and would have needed to been disassembled. Yada, yada, yada....I never crunched the numbers on boating the AL one from AL to MA but it still would've been a lot (not just fuel but accommodations and provisions. Plus I couldn't dedicate 3+ plus weeks away from work).

Long story short.....I settled on a few closer to me.

I agree with you about the bigger fuel tanks. That's a great upgrade on the "newer" models. Not a huge increase in tankage but every little bit counts! I still find it odd that the original boats only have 100 US gallons of tankage. Pretty small for a boat this size. My C Dory 25' had a single 100 gallon tank. I think twin 75 fuel tanks would've been awesome for the Camano. I wouldn't mind giving up a good deal of the water storage to get more fuel.

Sorry, as to the engine options I can't help you. I've got the old , tried and tested TAMD41p-A. She's still running strong 18 years later..... A D4 sounds nice though....I wouldn't mind having one! LOL

Last edited:
John: Good luck in your search! I was in your "boat" last July when I was shopping for Camano 31's.

I was initially looking to buy a "newer" model as well. But I couldn't justify the cost of shipping one via trailer. I was seriously considering one in CA and another one in AL. I got uShip quotes from $4400-$6800 for the AL boat and closer to $10k (total) for the California rig. These were ballpark figures... The CA boat had an aftermarket fixed radar arch w / open array and would have needed to been disassembled. Yada, yada, yada....I never crunched the numbers on boating the AL one from AL to MA but it still would've been a lot (not just fuel but accommodations and provisions. Plus I couldn't dedicate 3+ plus weeks away from work).

Long story short.....I settled on a few closer to me.

I agree with you about the bigger fuel tanks. That's a great upgrade on the "newer" models. Not a huge increase in tankage but every little bit counts! I still find it odd that the original boats only have 100 US gallons of tankage. Pretty small for a boat this size. My C Dory 25' had a single 100 gallon tank. I think twin 75 fuel tanks would've been awesome for the Camano. I wouldn't mind giving up a good deal of the water storage to get more fuel.

Sorry, as to the engine options I can't help you. I've got the old , tried and tested TAMD41p-A. She's still running strong 18 years later..... A D4 sounds nice though....I wouldn't mind having one! LOL

Thanks for the response! Your YouTube video is one of the reason's I fell in love with the Camano. You have a beautiful boat!

I also found it surprising the isn't more fuel capacity. But for what I plan their is definitely enough.

I've actually heard that the D4 210 which was offered in only 2004 Camano 31's was only around for one year... was changed after a single year and was then a D4 230+. I have not confirmed any of this but I am a little weary until I read or find out more.

John, Think BIG is a 2003 with the TAMD41P. The TAMD is a good choice. A D4 gives you an ECU which does give you some more engine control options but is more vulnerable to lightning strikes. I would have been happy with 100 less horsepower and no turbo but it is nice to be able to double my speed now and then. My mechanic would prefer to do an electric conversion down the road...

John, Think BIG is a 2003 with the TAMD41P. The TAMD is a good choice. A D4 gives you an ECU which does give you some more engine control options but is more vulnerable to lightning strikes. I would have been happy with 100 less horsepower and no turbo but it is nice to be able to double my speed now and then. My mechanic would prefer to do an electric conversion down the road...

Thanks Milton. The more I've read the more I think I'd prefer the TAMD41P. Simpler. Longer track record. And I have still not gotten to the bottom of the D4 210 only being offered for a single year.

But I have decided that I won't let it influence my boat choice much. Condition and maintenance will prevail. Thanks again!

Hi,

you should think about how you are going to drive a boat, you usually drive displacement speed, then the choice of D4 common rail will work better (glanzig, carbon) and fuel consumption in the lowest full rmp range.

If you would like to drive faster than ever, tamd-41 would be my choice because its life cycle is longer vs D4 (exchangeable cylinder tubes, mechanical engines etc.) and it is one of the most reliable marine diesel engines VP.

Not the experience of Yanmar, so I do not comment.

NBs

The Yanmar 4LHA is a very solid engine. But as others have said many times on this forum, the color of the engine is only one of many considerations when buying a boat.

Any of the three mentioned are good choices and the decision should be made based on the overall condition of the boat.

David

Camano thoughts

Best wishes in your search! Will share my experience. I bought my 2005 Camano in Rhode Island, spent 11 days coming south to Washington, NC. Underway at mostly 7.5 Kt., 12 hours a day, I topped off every other day and don’t recall adding over 40 gallons per stop. While I have 132 gallons fuel capacity, I believe 100 is plenty capacity for such a trip on the east coast from Bristol to NC, fueling every 2 or 3 days. A faster pace would require more fuel. The TAMD 41 P-A is wonderful, and my mechanic loves it. Boat was lightly used for several years before I bought it , and polishing fuel and replacing injector tips are the two major improvements I’ve made to it. A biocide is necessary here in the south. A pre-2003 might be a good choice for use similar to mine. Another tip I’ve seen on this site that rings especially true: Be wary of following seas and leave the flybridge early until you know how your Camano handles.
By the way, NC is Camano heaven! So many colonial small towns and beautiful uncrowded cruising waters!

Best wishes in your search! Will share my experience. I bought my 2005 Camano in Rhode Island, spent 11 days coming south to Washington, NC. Underway at mostly 7.5 Kt., 12 hours a day, I topped off every other day and don’t recall adding over 40 gallons per stop. While I have 132 gallons fuel capacity, I believe 100 is plenty capacity for such a trip on the east coast from Bristol to NC, fueling every 2 or 3 days. A faster pace would require more fuel. The TAMD 41 P-A is wonderful, and my mechanic loves it. Boat was lightly used for several years before I bought it , and polishing fuel and replacing injector tips are the two major improvements I’ve made to it. A biocide is necessary here in the south. A pre-2003 might be a good choice for use similar to mine. Another tip I’ve seen on this site that rings especially true: Be wary of following seas and leave the flybridge early until you know how your Camano handles.
By the way, NC is Camano heaven! So many colonial small towns and beautiful uncrowded cruising waters!

Did you buy Norm's boat? Middletown RI?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom