Old 02-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
SPLASH! TT35 Hull #1

FINALLY!

Below are the photos of our 43-ft boat Mariso traveling to our neighborhood boat ramp for her launch, followed by photos of her docked behind our house.

Words cannot express how grateful we are to these very talented companies (best $$ we ever spent):

American Boat Works - Tarpon Springs, FL

JTB Marine - St. Petersburg, FL

ADR Power Systems - Tampa, Fl

Island Nautical - St. Petersburg, FL

Pea & Dan
St. Petersburg, FL
boat dogs Lucy & Birdie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190208_171952194.jpg   IMG_20190208_172512277_HDR.jpg   IMG_20190208_172743488_HDR.jpg   IMG_20190208_173245817_HDR.jpg   IMG_20190208_173349179 b.jpg  

IMG_20190208_173416742 b.jpg   IMG_20190208_174752233 b.jpg   IMG_20190208_174909853.jpg   2019-02-08 a.jpg   2019-02-08 b.jpg  

Miz Trom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Congratulations to you both, she looks great. I like the way the outboard motor are mounted wide apart for docking.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Very nice!! No leaks??? LOL
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Nice shots. GREAT looking boat. The difference between the drawings of the non-FB model, and photos of yours, appears like a different boat.

Will/do you have some blog or social media where we can follow along to learn more, please? I am particularly interested in performance.

Congratulations!
Old 02-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Congrats on your new baby.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #6
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Congrats! Glad the build is finally over and now you can enjoy your beautiful boat.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #7
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Great looking vessel. Must be an impressive sight being trailered as well. Best of cruising success to the entire Mariso Crew!

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #8
Guru

City: Boston Area
Fair winds and following seas !!
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #9
Guru

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Name: Wingspan
Vessel Model: Aluminum Catamaran
That should be a very handy boat! Congratulations.

Some smart guy once said a boat should either be small enough to put on a trailer in your driveway or large enough to live on. Looks like you have both!
Bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #10
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Best TT35 ever, thanks to a little help from your friends in Tampa/St. Pete. Too bad the manufacturer couldn't get it right.

Is the Great Loop tour eminent?
Old 02-11-2019, 05:14 PM   #11
Guru

City: La Conner Wa.
Vessel Name: Sea Fever
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
There should be a law about showing off your new boat while wearing shorts and squinting in the sunshine.. But have fun.
Russell Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:27 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Best TT35 ever, thanks to a little help from your friends in Tampa/St. Pete. Too bad the manufacturer couldn't get it right.
Indeed, Don. She is now 100 x better than when we got her a year ago.

We are so glad we decided to just get her repaired and rebuilt up to ABYC standards instead of taking the builder to court. Much less expensive, much less time-consuming, and now we have an awesome boat and many new friends in the marine industry.

Concerning the Loop, we will be doing two short shakedown cruises as soon as our legendary electrician, Charlie Johnson, finishes up the last two projects. As you know, Don, we had planned to start the Loop back in March 2017, shortly after our boat was supposed to be finished. Our old big dogs are now 11 and 13, so we will figure out during shakedown if we think their aging hips can handle such a long trip. If we decide they cannot, we might just trailer her up north to a lake near my mom for the summer.

We also still need to get ADR Power (Andrew - another amazing technician!) back out to help us adjust the Glendinning throttles. They are too sensitive. Fortunately I did several tests in reverse before attempting to dock, so I knew to barely touch the throttles when I backed her in to our slip.

As far as leaks go, we had a few topside leaks when we received the "new" boat from GH. Re-bedding deck hardware (chamfering and utilizing butyl tape) became easy for us after the first few times. Now there are no more leaks.

And as far as blogs go, I don't know if I will start one. After our first cruise I will try to post some numbers here on TF for the gas mileage, etc.

I forgot to mention above the wonderful job done by Monopoli Marine in Tarpon Springs. Pete and his son Peter built the flybridge railings. It was not a simple job because of the pitch of the upper deck, and yet just like all of our other local craftsmen they were an absolute joy to work with.

Cheers,
Pea
Old 02-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Gulfport
Congrats Pea and Don! Glad you're finally on the water!

Keith
Plane Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:54 AM   #14
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Congratulations, love the concept and now the boat. Enjoy
Old 02-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Congratulations!!!! Now starts the slow, inevitable corrosion and degradation of every single part.

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:52 PM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
We're both so happy for you, to finally have what you dreamed of and thought you were getting. It looks beautiful and I'm sure you'll find it most enjoyable. You have far more patience than I do and it did you well.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #17
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Is this boat aluminum?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:27 PM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Is this boat aluminum?
No.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:52 AM   #19
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Congrats on getting to the light at the end of the tunnel. Now you've got something you can be proud of and enjoy.

If you'd be comfortable with it, I'd be curious to know what work done by the various contractors. What needed to be modified to create the boat you're happy with?
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
If you'd be comfortable with it, I'd be curious to know what work done by the various contractors. What needed to be modified to create the boat you're happy with?
Okay, and I will try to be concise!

What needed to be modified. Well, we had six main issues. I will break this up into six separate posts to describe each one.

Our marine surveyor spent two days surveying the boat before we made our final payment. During our surveyor's first day, both he and Dan noted that the latest hull under construction, either hull #5 or #6, had a cockpit floor that was 3 inches higher than our boat's. This was a hint that something was off.

Two days later during our lake trial of the boat, we observed that the cockpit sole and fold-down gate on the stern were slightly below the water line, meaning the cockpit was permanently awash, even when underway. (See photos 1-2 below from the lake trial.)

The fold-down gate had 1/3-inch openings on all three sides and when the outboards were in reverse, water poured into the cockpit from all three sides.

After some counterproductive discussions, we brought the boat home from Gainesville to St. Petersburg. We still loved her unique design and shallow draft, but we were exhausted and frustrated after waiting two long years for the build to be finished.

We decided that rather than hassle further with the extremely slow & quixotic builder that we would get her fixed up ourselves.

We consulted with a naval architect and took the boat to American Boat Works (ABW), the marvelous fiberglass shop that I referenced in my first post. ABW cut out the existing cockpit floor, built a new cockpit floor, and fiberglassed it in 3 inches higher than the original floor, as we had noted in hull #5 or 6. (See photos 3-8 below from the ABW shop.)

Paul and Kevin of ABW then built us the new closed stern with a swim platform instead of the original fold-down gate. They installed two nifty brass scuppers in the cockpit deck so rainwater can drain. (See photos 9-10 below, which are BEFORE and AFTER photos of the stern.)

These new scuppers work quite well. I did not take a photo of the scuppers prior to installation; I wish I had because they work beautifully.

Incidentally, I have just learned from another new TT35 owner that GH has now decided to eliminate the fold-down gate on future TT35’s and instead build a closed stern with swim platform very similar to ours. We think this is sensible because, in our opinion, the original fold-down gate design with the cockpit sole raised 3 inches was still susceptible to water intrusion with the outboards in reverse gear.

Up next when I have an hour or so to find more photos, will be the issues with the gas tanks…
Attached Thumbnails
Wind-blown water flooding into cockpit.JPG   Underway Lake Trial awash.JPG   Cockpit sole removed 1.jpg   Cockpit sole 2.jpg   Cockpit sole 3.jpg  

New sole before installation.jpg   FG supports for new sole.jpg   Paul shows how high new sole will be.jpg   Stern BEFORE.jpg   Stern AFTER.jpg