SPLASH! TT35 Hull #1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a quote from an August 2016 article in Boating Magazine:
“Hull number one of the TT35 was ordered by a Florida couple, and construction is now underway. Completed models will be on display at fall boat shows, beginning with the 2016 United States Powerboat Show in Annapolis.”

--Benthic

Which is very interesting when you look at what was actually going on at Mirage in late summer of that year. Mirage must have known for quite some time that having a boat ready for the October 13-16, Annapolis Boat Show was not feasible….

Island Bound
Yep. What we historically saw in the boating press and on the two Great Harbour sites regarding the TT35 turned out to be all hat and no cattle.

Look how well Ranger is doing with their trailerable outboard "trawlers."

- Benthic

Having purchased a dealer demo Ranger Tug EC-21 while living in Hawaii and a Great Harbour N37 Trawler (former charter boat) direct from Mirage, I am in a unique position to comment on your post…
Ranger's approach to customer service and support is directly reflected in their sales numbers.

– Island Bound
What do you call the opposite of “customer service?”

At the very end of our relationship with Great Harbour/Mirage, I had to hire a bodyguard to accompany Dan on his final visits to the Gainesville facility.

The TT35 is a pretty cool concept.

-Benthic
We agree, Benthic!
We are very pleased with Mariso now that she is almost finished. We are ordering our "American BoatWorks 43" vinyl this week. We will be finished with our modifications when that is applied over the old logo.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Yep. What we historically saw in the boating press and on the two Great Harbour sites regarding the TT35 turned out to be all hat and no cattle.

What do you call the opposite of “customer service?”

At the very end of our relationship with Great Harbour/Mirage, I had to hire a bodyguard to accompany Dan on his final visits to the Gainesville facility.

We agree, Benthic!
We are very pleased with Mariso now that she is almost finished. We are ordering our "American BoatWorks 43" vinyl this week. We will be finished with our modifications when that is applied over the old logo.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

My nomination for Post of the Year!!!

Please post a picture.

You've got class.

Cheers!

We are ordering our "American BoatWorks 43" vinyl this week. We will be finished with our modifications when that is applied over the old logo.[/B said:
Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Hilarious! Serves them right. :thumb:

After cruising the boat for over a year I'd love to know what you now think about the boat.

After cruising the boat for over a year I'd love to know what you now think about the boat.

Hi Carl:

How are things with you? Do you still have the Scout?

We love the boat, especially after all of our upgrades. We had two great cruises in 2019.

We trailered the boat up to Lake Hartwell (GA) in May of 2019, and spent a month on the lake, visiting with family and cruising the sights.

Then we trailered the boat from there up to Knoxville. Lived aboard with our two 50-lb dogs very comfortably at a marina from June to late September, and then cruised down the Tennessee River and Tenn-Tom to Pensacola.

Before we threw off the lines in Knoxville, I flew home to St. Petersburg to consult with Mastry Marine regarding our props. Mastry had already done a water test on another TT35 to figure out the correct props for the boat with the Suzuki's. It turned out we had been over-propped all along, and Mastry sold us two new props, which Hubby Dan installed.

The difference in the outboards' performance was brilliant, as this completely solved our can't-get-up-on-plane problem. Increased our gas mileage, too.

We had a great cruise down the rivers! We spent most of our cruising time on the flybridge, and she handled beautifully. On one occasion in Pensacola Bay, we had rather large following seas coming in from the inlet for about an hour, and we were both quite pleased with her handling. She handled snotty seas on Mobile Bay with aplomb, too.

We buddy-boated with another boat coming down the Tenn-Tom to Pensacola. Zigged and zagged around large barges every day, and were very grateful to have AIS. Learned what "on the one" and "on the two" means.

In the evenings at the fuel docks, our buddies were very jealous of our fuel bill compared to their much higher bills. Their boat, a two-engine inboard Marinette gas cruiser, ate more than double the gas over the same distance at the same speed. We averaged 12 mph each day. Outboards win!

We landed in Pensacola in early November, and the temperatures plunged down to 29 degrees Fahrenheit. The little electric heater I had bought saved the day (and night!). But one of our dogs had developed a chronic ear infection, so we decided to trailer the boat home from Pensacola to St. Petersburg to get that handled at the dirt home.

Once at our dock behind our house there, we took friends out a couple of times and then joined in the neighborhood Christmas boat parade. During the boat parade, some fellow on the shore called out, "How does she handle?" I promptly executed a 360 degree spin-in-place utilizing the bow thruster and outboards, at pretty high speed. The folks lining the banks went nuts, hooting and hollering. That was fun! I FREAKIN' LOVE THE BOW THRUSTER!

And it's a retractable bow thruster, so it doesn't gather barnacles.

In March 2020, as we were prepping for the Loop, the pandemic hit.

We trailered her up to an RV & Boat storage facility in the middle of the state with sturdy steel roofs over their land slips and shorepower outlets. Mariso made friends with the Class A land yacht next to her.

She's been there ever since. Hubby Dan set up a monitoring system for the Victron controller so that he could keep an eye on everything from the dirt home. Every month, we have run up there to power up and run the outboards, and this past November Dan added a bilge heater. Our humongous Danby dehumidifier has been humming along now for a year inside the boat.

But now our two old dogs have aged out of boating. For the past three months, Hubby Dan has been seriously trying to talk me into selling the boat and getting a land yacht. I am so conflicted, because we are in the process of building a new house right now, and I don't see how we would find the time to use a land yacht.

Then last night, Hubby Dan said he thinks he has now aged out of liveaboard boating. He turns 70 in two months. I am a bit younger, at 64, but I can see his point. It has always been a lot of work to maintain our dirt home, our rental house, and the big boat. As much as we love her, it might be time to let her go.

Here's a few photos of the places we've been. The first photo is of Mariso in her land-locked storage bay.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Attachments

• 20200824_144358.jpg
    20200824_144358.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20200215_072025.jpg
    20200215_072025.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20191013_181300 (7).jpg
    20191013_181300 (7).jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20190704_205020.jpg
    20190704_205020.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20191020_120734.jpg
    20191020_120734.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 20191022_115706 (2).jpg
    20191022_115706 (2).jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 01 Dan playing WC Handy's Trumpet (2).jpg
    01 Dan playing WC Handy's Trumpet (2).jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190627_114447(2).jpg
    20190627_114447(2).jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 20190706_130342 (3).jpg
    20190706_130342 (3).jpg
    128 KB · Views: 32
  • Resized_20190518_213419.jpg
    Resized_20190518_213419.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:
Is Dan channeling Bix Beiderbecke?! Left handed trumpeter.

Rob

I hadn’t realized that these were essentially flat bottomed boats until I saw the photo of your boat on the trailer. Very interesting. Thanks for posting.

Hi WH:

Yes, the TT35's are a planing-hull boat. With some minor hull curvature. Seven degrees of deadrise at the stern.

I am looking for a good photo of the stern but can't find one. Here's one taken forward of the bow while she was on a TravelLift (after a bottom paint refresh).

We've had her up to 19 mph at full throttle. She gets up on plane between 13 and 14 mph, depending upon the weight aboard.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Attachments

• 20191008_170615.jpg
    20191008_170615.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 34
Sorry to hear of the potential change in cruising plans. I was looking forward to following your adventures.

I'm curious why you are using a designation of 43 instead of 35? Is that a overall including the out boards opposed to the minimal hull length?

Thanks!

PS - Bought a couple of hats. They are great!!

Hi Carl:

How are things with you? Do you still have the Scout?

We love the boat, especially after all of our upgrades. We had two great cruises in 2019.

We trailered the boat up to Lake Hartwell (GA) in May of 2019, and spent a month on the lake, visiting with family and cruising the sights.

Then we trailered the boat from there up to Knoxville. Lived aboard with our two 50-lb dogs very comfortably at a marina from June to late September, and then cruised down the Tennessee River and Tenn-Tom to Pensacola.

Before we threw off the lines in Knoxville, I flew home to St. Petersburg to consult with Mastry Marine regarding our props. Mastry had already done a water test on another TT35 to figure out the correct props for the boat with the Suzuki's. It turned out we had been over-propped all along, and Mastry sold us two new props, which Hubby Dan installed.

The difference in the outboards' performance was brilliant, as this completely solved our can't-get-up-on-plane problem. Increased our gas mileage, too.

We had a great cruise down the rivers! We spent most of our cruising time on the flybridge, and she handled beautifully. On one occasion in Pensacola Bay, we had rather large following seas coming in from the inlet for about an hour, and we were both quite pleased with her handling. She handled snotty seas on Mobile Bay with aplomb, too.

We buddy-boated with another boat coming down the Tenn-Tom to Pensacola. Zigged and zagged around large barges every day, and were very grateful to have AIS. Learned what "on the one" and "on the two" means.

In the evenings at the fuel docks, our buddies were very jealous of our fuel bill compared to their much higher bills. Their boat, a two-engine inboard Marinette gas cruiser, ate more than double the gas over the same distance at the same speed. We averaged 12 mph each day. Outboards win!

We landed in Pensacola in early November, and the temperatures plunged down to 29 degrees Fahrenheit. The little electric heater I had bought saved the day (and night!). But one of our dogs had developed a chronic ear infection, so we decided to trailer the boat home from Pensacola to St. Petersburg to get that handled at the dirt home.

Once at our dock behind our house there, we took friends out a couple of times and then joined in the neighborhood Christmas boat parade. During the boat parade, some fellow on the shore called out, "How does she handle?" I promptly executed a 360 degree spin-in-place utilizing the bow thruster and outboards, at pretty high speed. The folks lining the banks went nuts, hooting and hollering. That was fun! I FREAKIN' LOVE THE BOW THRUSTER!

And it's a retractable bow thruster, so it doesn't gather barnacles.

In March 2020, as we were prepping for the Loop, the pandemic hit.

We trailered her up to an RV & Boat storage facility in the middle of the state with sturdy steel roofs over their land slips and shorepower outlets. Mariso made friends with the Class A land yacht next to her.

She's been there ever since. Hubby Dan set up a monitoring system for the Victron controller so that he could keep an eye on everything from the dirt home. Every month, we have run up there to power up and run the outboards, and this past November Dan added a bilge heater. Our humongous Danby dehumidifier has been humming along now for a year inside the boat.

But now our two old dogs have aged out of boating. For the past three months, Hubby Dan has been seriously trying to talk me into selling the boat and getting a land yacht. I am so conflicted, because we are in the process of building a new house right now, and I don't see how we would find the time to use a land yacht.

Then last night, Hubby Dan said he thinks he has now aged out of liveaboard boating. He turns 70 in two months. I am a bit younger, at 64, but I can see his point. It has always been a lot of work to maintain our dirt home, our rental house, and the big boat. As much as we love her, it might be time to let her go.

Here's a few photos of the places we've been. The first photo is of Mariso in her land-locked storage bay.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley
Hello Trombleys,

I have appreciated your posts. I have a new TT 35 on the way. Would you be kind enough to share your fuel burn rate at 12 mph. As well, I am new at this power boat world. I understand the term over propped from my experience with a catamaran I built with twin outboards. Would you be kind enough to share the pitch and diameter your new prop.

Thanks,

Brad

Hello Trombleys,

I have appreciated your posts. I have a new TT 35 on the way. Would you be kind enough to share your fuel burn rate at 12 mph. As well, I am new at this power boat world. I understand the term over propped from my experience with a catamaran I built with twin outboards. Would you be kind enough to share the pitch and diameter your new prop.

Thanks,

Brad

I'm just curious. You read their entire experience and still purchased one or did you purchase before reading? Hopefully they've corrected some of the issues now.

I'm just curious. You read their entire experience and still purchased one or did you purchase before reading? Hopefully they've corrected some of the issues now.
The short answer to your question is yes, I read the whole experience and value their learning. As to your end statement; all I can offer is stay tuned.

The short answer to your question is yes, I read the whole experience and value their learning. As to your end statement; all I can offer is stay tuned.

Welcome to Trawler Forum!

Which hull number will be yours and which options did you select? About a month or so ago I saw my first TT35 planing by our house on the St Johns. Others may have cruised by and I missed them. She looked rather sweet on river. Looking forward to hearing your experiences.

Had to take the admiral over to the Gainesville Airport today and after dropping her off, I made a short detour to drive by the Mirage/Great Harbour shop. Last time I drove by (maybe 18-24 months ago), all 4 stalls had TT35's in various stages of manufacturing. Today, I saw one N37, one TT35 hull and what looked like 2 Mirage sports fish possibly being repaired. Didn't get out of the truck for a closer look so I may have missed something. Doesn't look like the TT35's are selling well. The N37 looks like a monster compared to the smaller, narrower TT35. Kind of sad to see the drop off in demand.

Do outboards tilt up tone completely out of the water?

Tilt up outboards

Thank you. I later saw your picture of tilt up out boards and your dinghy. Sorry I did not look back further. I ask because I am considering one . I will check cockpit height above waterline.

My discussions were for the plans, not to have one built by the factory.

Plans?

Kit_L:

The TT35 was not designed by a naval architect. It was designed by Ken Fickett, the boat builder, who, while quite the charmer, is definitely NOT a naval architect.

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

Miz Trom,

Having read this whole thread twice, I now know this is true!

We are all looking forward to seeing the "American BoatWorks 43" livery, too, when you get a chance, and assuming you still have her. I have no doubt that your current boat is a big improvement over the original, and very much was what I had in mind.

Hi Kit:

Thank you for inquiring. We ordered new "American Boatworks" custom logos in 2019, but the color was way off, and we never got around to trying again.

We sold her in early 2022. We just weren't using her, due to the enormous amount of time involved in elder care for several family members.

To explain further... We had a very large boat and a very large truck (Ford F-350) just sitting around gathering dust, continuing to pay expensive insurance on both, and this constantly gnawed at us. I imagine you know how it is; you want to be on your boat all the time, and when you can't, it's frustrating.

The new owner, Jim, changed her name to "Jus' Me" and the boat is now based in New Jersey, USA.

We miss her. We put an awful lot into repairing boat & trailer. We had an amazing adventure living aboard & cruising for six months in 2019, and several short cruises afterwards. But we don't miss the constant, time-consuming maintenance required for a large liveaboard vessel, especially when not using her.

And BTW, I absolutely ADORE your catamaran in your avatar!

Warmest Regards,
Mrs. Trombley

P.S. We're "camper boat" boaters now, with a classic little 23-ft Seaway cabin cruiser.

Last edited:
Miz Trom, Happy New Year! Thanks you for explaining the American Boatworks back story. Yes, I understand all that (in our case a parent on both sides and a brother).

We sold our land base and are living happily on the cat. The cat's only downside is two large diesel engines (KAD 300s, 285hp and a very tight fit in the hulls). The fuel burn on your TT43 is the way I want to go in the future, but the Admiral makes the excellent point that the cost of repowering would cover a lot of diesel...).

The Seaway 23 sounds excellent—do you have a quick pic.? Towing a lighter vessel has a LOT going for it, doesn't it. Gotta go off to work now (Marine Rescue duty). Warmest regards, Kit & Liv

1987 Seaway 23

Attachments

• IMG_4363.jpg
    IMG_4363.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2679.jpg
    IMG_2679.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom