Slip width while cruising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PirateDan

Since my primary interest is doing the loop in a 37, I'm wondering how common is it to find a 40' slip which will accommodate the 16' beam?

Thanks,
Dan

When you call in for a slip they will ask you your beam. If not you better tell them if you’re 16 Ft. My beam is 13 which is never a problem.

Lots of 50 foot slips on the Great Lakes that would handle your beam. Most marinas would put you in one if available. You pay for the overall length of your boat.

Most slips aren't specifically for a 40' boat. Did the Loop in 2017. My boat is a waterline 45' +/- and 50' overall. I never had a problem getting a slip and my beam is 15'. Don't remember a single slip that I had, that you couldn't have put a 16' boat in. There is also a lot of side tying on the Loop. As mentioned, most marinas will ask length, beam and draft, and will find you an appropriate slip. They don't make money if they can't provide you dockage.

Ted

My experience is they are only interested in boat length. However, boat width is most critical for me since I've a fat boat as many marina's slips are designed for skinny sailboats.

I'm not a looper but have cruised extensively. I would not consider it a show stopper but would recommend making reservations ahead. Most marinas can accommodate your size but some have a limited # of transient slips that size. There were a couple times this season that I requested the end of a T dock and they indicated they were all occupied or reserved. I'm only 14 and they squeezed me in a tighter spot but did accommodate me... 16 would have been more challenging.

When you request or research slips make sure your actual beam is included in the details. The t-head of a dock is your likely result. That or know what mooring fields are nearby and if you can get a 'vistors pass'. Some marinas will offer that as a way to gain use of their facilities (laundry, bath, trash, pool, etc).

What 37' has a 16' beam?

My experience is they are only interested in boat length. However, boat width is most critical for me since I've a fat boat as many marina's slips are designed for skinny sailboats.

I'm used to that problem at what is now home for the boat. Tons of sailboats in the area and just about every power boat is an express cruiser, so low windage and narrower beam. Which leaves me with a "fun" slip, as the center piling is just over 15 feet from my finger pier and I've got a 14 ft beam with lots of windage. It fits great once it's in the slip, but backing in can be an interesting exercise in trying for perfection.

As far as traveling, I've yet to find a place that couldn't find a way to make us fit. In some cases we've been given an end dock, or left on a courtesy dock at a yacht club if they didn't have a slip that we'd fit.

Last edited:
Maerin has a 15'-8" beam, 43 LWL with 47' pulpit to platform length & 5 ft. draft. We've not done the entire loop, but with over 40,000 miles, we've been to a lot of marinas in a lot of different areas on and off the "loop". Can't think of a single instance where we had trouble securing a slip due to our beam. There were several times that we were on the bottom at low tide (as in- the water line was several inches below its normal location) , but our beam was never an issue. As others posted, the marina functions to provide you with a slip space, they'll figure it out. You're over thinking it.

Our AT41 has a 16' beam, which is unusual so i too am curious what kind of boat would be 37' x 16'.
We've not done the loop but been to many places. it's not a problem but in our experience most marinas only ask about length so we always make a point to tell them our beam as well. often we'll end up in a larger, say 50' or 55' slip or an end tie. Also there are many anchorage options on the loop.

I Cruise the Great Lakes. Never had a marina ask my width. I usually request a transient slip for a 36' trawler, I guess they put 2 and 2 together and figure out I am a little "boxy". Then I usually add my preference about my slip. (Back in, port side tie up) I will sometimes request a slip near the BBQ area or near the bathrooms or in a quiet area, whatever.. Except on busy weekends I generally get what I request. I don't know if it helps or not but I generally add that I do not need assistance tying up.

pete

We were 69'4" so nearly all our dockage was side tie at a transient dock. I would say even with a shorter boat, you'll often be side tie at a transient dock, but just make sure they know your length and beam and plan for it. If the slip appears inadequate, ask for another, don't try to force it to work. Ask them the width.

Don't remember a single slip that I had, that you couldn't have put a 16' boat in. There is also a lot of side tying on the Loop. As mentioned, most marinas will ask length, beam and draft, and will find you an appropriate slip.

Haven't done the lop, but from when we went south on the ICW a couple years ago I can only remember one slip we were in that might not have handled a 16' beam. And that was at a marina that also had other slips and side tie-ups available.

Also, more than half, maybe 3/4, of the transient slips we took en route were side tie-ups anyway.

-Chris

Guess it depends on where you go, what time of year and what marinas you want to stay at.

I personally think it will be hard to find many slips in the 40 foot length range that are much wider than 16 ft..... Unless you're lucky enough to get a t head or at the fuel dock for the night.

So if your beam is 16ft, there might be lots of 16 foot slips out there......it''s just a question of how tight you want to be in the slip.

Thanks everyone. I guess I assumed that, since the original post was put in the GH builders forum, that everyone would realize I was referring to a GH 37. Sorry for not being more clear.

I understand there are an abundance of over 16 beam slips. Just wondering if I'm doomed to paying for 50-60 foot slips when I only need 40?

Was also possibly going to consider other boats if the 16 beam is a problem on the loop.

Most marinas charge based on boat length, not slip length. So usually extra cost wouldn't be an issue, although every once in a while you'll find a place that charges more if you need an over-size slip.

Many of us enter thread under "new posts" rather than through the "forum" page. On the mobile settings it is especially easy to overlook what subforum you are in.

Our Great Harbor N37 has 16ft beam.

3 plus loops and all rivers east but mo we had very few times we could couldn't get a slip. Draft was more of an issue but not for out 3'draft.

Thanks everyone. I guess I assumed that, since the original post was put in the GH builders forum, that everyone would realize I was referring to a GH 37. Sorry for not being more clear.

I understand there are an abundance of over 16 beam slips. Just wondering if I'm doomed to paying for 50-60 foot slips when I only need 40?

Was also possibly going to consider other boats if the 16 beam is a problem on the loop.

If you are a transient you will be charged by foot of length. It’s only when you rent a permanent slip by the month that you might be charged for a slip longer than your boat. And even then the rate per foot drops from the transient rate.

We are 18’6” wide and have never had any problems with getting a slip. Then again we are also 70’ OAL and most slips that size are built for such a beam. If you are traveling you will probably be on a side tie anyway as others have suggested.

The question I have is what type/manufacturer boat do you have that is 40' long & 16' wide (beam)?

That is a highly irregular boat, unless of course it's a cat and you should have mentioned that.

IF it is a cat, marinas usually have a slip or 2 for them.

You can also be put on a T head or fuel dock in some cases.

You aren't going to have an issue when you do the Loop. We started our Loop in '16 and are about 1/2 done, now on Lake Barkley in KY.

We are a 43' trawler, 15' beam and never had an issue, yes they normally ask for particulars on your boat.

Have fun.

Many of us enter thread under "new posts" rather than through the "forum" page. On the mobile settings it is especially easy to overlook what subforum you are in.

I have to agree with GDavid; I tend to only look at the newest discussion topics on the right side window and go directly to the ones that interest me, therefore i never notice necessarily what subforum it falls under.

Wifey B: We've cruised and cruised and cruised and cruised.

We've heard warnings and warnings and warnings and warnings about transient dockage and slips.

Can't dock a CAT anywhere, but then people do all the time.

Can't find dockage on the loop over 50'. Then they change that to 60'. We were 69'4" and had no problems. I know someone who took a 72' Hatteras on the loop.

It's only a problem if you don't contact them ahead and find out, but the vast majority of areas will accommodate you well. Marinas are use to boats of all sizes and types.

Any boat you consider, someone will be giving you warnings. Perhaps 50% of the time, they'll know what they're talking about. :eek:

I would not think it an issue.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom