Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #81
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Eyschulman,

I apologize for my personal comments. I was trying to make a point but that was not the right way to do it.
Accepted, I got the point.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #82
Guru

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Quote:
Interesting concept as far as space and economy. Sea Ray did this with a 37 ft. and twin outboards about 2 years ago. Regarding sea worthiness, I bet you will be fine and can do some great coastal cruising. -FLETCHER500
Quote:
Doubt if anyone will extensively trailer a 35' boat with a 10' beam but I do think they might be trailered 2-4 times a year and might be what some snow birders are looking for. The are several owners who have two boats because of the time it takes to cruise from the north or midwest to the west coast of FL. My idea is to hire a truck to trailer a boat up to MI in May and then return it to FL in early October.

Anyway, don't share most of your concerns. -DONSAN
Thanks, Fletcher and Donsan, for rescuing this thread from an odd conceit. And you, too, Cardude.

We visited our boat last week. I got a few pictures of a hurricane-damaged Great Harbour N37 in the yard, and then my phone mysteriously failed to record any more pictures than the one below. The photo is just Dan and Eric (a longtime Great Harbour/Mirage staff member ) standing inside the cabin with the interior mockup removed. As you can see, there is no roof yet.

The anchor locker, stringers and the sole are all glassed in. Every part of the hull connectors, walls, bulkheads, etc. are heavily fiberglassed together. It was really something to see the long sheets of glass stretching from end to end. Having done a bit of glassing when I was a youngster, I was quite impressed. Travis said he would send me some photos of the stringers without the sole glassed in, so if he does I will post them here.

We covered many subjects with Ken, Travis and Eric (and missed our friend Pierce). Batteries for the house bank - we are thinking Firefly because we can utilize 80% of capacity . Flying bridge - we are going with an aluminum flybridge because in the winter when we keep our big boat at our little house on our little canal, we have to go under a somewhat low bridge to get to Tampa Bay, and we do get the occasional extra high tide in the spring. There may be times when we need to fold down the flybridge for clearance under this bridge, and for trailering, so aluminum it will be.

Ken and Travis aren't sure when the boat will be finished. They are shooting for next month, but also warned us that it most likely will not be done until March. Sigh. I was really hoping that they would have the boat done in time for TrawlerFest.

The next day went to see Tom Foley at Marine Specialties in Oldsmar, recommended by Ken. He builds beautiful flybridges! He showed us around his shop, and then showed us several different aluminum flying bridges for one boat that he had built for some rich doctor, who has much more money than sense, and we had a good chuckle. I can't imagine having that kind of dough to throw around.

Warm Regards,
Pea
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170103_124923812_HDR.jpg  
Old 01-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #83
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Very cool! I've met Ken and he seems like a stand up guy. Excited about the progress!
Old 01-10-2017, 06:24 AM   #84
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Flying bridge - we are going with an aluminum flybridge because in the winter when we keep our big boat at our little house on our little canal, we have to go under a somewhat low bridge to get to Tampa Bay, and we do get the occasional extra high tide in the spring. There may be times when we need to fold down the flybridge for clearance under this bridge, and for trailering, so aluminum it will be.

The next day went to see Tom Foley at Marine Specialties in Oldsmar, recommended by Ken. He builds beautiful flybridges! He showed us around his shop, and then showed us several different aluminum flying bridges for one boat that he had built for some rich doctor, who has much more money than sense, and we had a good chuckle. I can't imagine having that kind of dough to throw around.
Guess I am kind of a dummy and can't visualize a folding aluminum flybridge. Would you have a picture of one? A Google search and came up with this pic but it doesn't look folding. It also looks rather exposed. Perhaps the ideal way to have a folding flybridge would be if the outboards are completely fly by wire. We took a ride in a pontoon boat powered by a Mercury Verado which was allegedly completely fly by wire but Mercury may have backed off on that option as it couldn't be found on their website. They were only available on the big engines anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
aluminum flybridge.jpg  
Old 01-10-2017, 07:12 AM   #85
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Thanks, Fletcher and Donsan, for rescuing this thread from an odd conceit. ...

Warm Regards,
Pea
Pea,
Is the "odd conceit" you refer to Eyschulman's, less than flattering but heartfelt assessment of the TT35?

If it is I find it interesting that you feel comfortable labeling that an "odd conceit" and shortly afterword picking on another persons boating tastes with the statement "built for some rich doctor, who has much more money than sense, and we had a good chuckle. I can't imagine having that kind of dough to throw around."

Forgive me if I have missed something here, I've reread the thread 3 times now and can't come up with another explanation...

Just seems odd to me.
Bruce
Old 01-10-2017, 10:23 AM   #86
Veteran Member

City: Clinton
What is the price range of the TT35 with most of the practical
options? trailer, davits, dinghy, good electronics?

How long from ordering a TT 35, to delivery?

The trailerable ability seems a really interesting option
to winter in many other areas.

Is a fly bridge an option?

Thanks for any info
Old 01-15-2017, 04:14 AM   #87
Guru

Ctbarbarian and others:
The best way to get pricing and other information on the TT35 is to email Eric at sales@greatharbourtrawlers.com
I checked with Eric to make sure it was okay with him to post his email on this forum. If you prefer to chat with him, then please PM me and I will privately send along his phone number.

Donsan:
Folding flybridges are common on the small recreational fishing boats down here in Florida. They are called "tuna towers." Just think of hinges in the proper locations on that photo you posted. Our flybridge will not be a tuna tower, however. We require comfortable seating.

Bruce B:
Quote:
I find it interesting that you feel comfortable labeling that an "odd conceit" and shortly afterword picking on another persons boating tastes with the statement "built for some rich doctor, who has much more money than sense, and we had a good chuckle. I can't imagine having that kind of dough to throw around."
I believed I was being as polite as I could in regards to Eyschulman's comments. But since you seem to insist that I defend myself, I will. His comments, that I considered strident and tactless, and that you considered "heartfelt," were a close-minded attack on our experience and knowledge, and quite extraordinary considering that he has no idea what our many considerations were that led us to choose this boat and this boat builder. That said, this is a public forum and the occasional "odd conceit" is to be expected.

On your second point, I went back and re-read what I wrote. One fact I omitted in relaying the story is that the boater in question owns an enormous 40-45 ft center console fishing boat with four 300-hp outboards hanging off the stern. And this particular boater just might be a polite and decent boater, and has every right to order as many flybridges as he so desires. I have never met him. So I can see how this comment might appear odd or even hypocritical to you.

However, the difference is that I did not make my comments directly to the boater in question on a public forum on a thread that he had initiated.

Regards,
Pea
Old 01-15-2017, 11:46 AM   #88
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Well, I still think it's in extremely poor taste to enter a thread that someone starts about their new boat and start criticizing the boat. If someone asks about a boat they're considering, then they're seeking all advice. We have people here all the time who have just purchased boats or who are starting builds. I am not going to ever tell them what I believe they should have bought or built instead. If your friend drove up to you in a new car, would you immediately turn to them and tell them all the things wrong with that car and why they shouldn't have bought it? I certainly hope not.

Miz Trom, I think you'll love your boat. You bought what is right for you. Others can buy what is right for them and we have many discussions here about aspects of boats and what to buy. But you made your decision and a good one and best of luck.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:02 PM   #89
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
"built for some rich doctor, who has much more money than sense, and we had a good chuckle. I can't imagine having that kind of dough to throw around."
Now, I am with you, Bruce. It's no less insulting to insult the taste of one who is in your opinion, wealthy, than anyone else. That so called rich doctor may actually be a hard worker who worked decades to save for that boat and sacrificed along the way. It's one thing to say it's not the boat for you or that you can't afford it but the insult is inappropriate. It does certainly make me feel less sympathetic to your reaction to anything said to you when you come back with worse. The only difference was you weren't addressing an individual here.

There are also doctors on this forum. Did you appreciate the fact you were insulting them at the same time? What about your own doctor?
Old 01-15-2017, 01:12 PM   #90
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Let's let it go and return to the Great Harbour build.

I'm so intrigued by this TT35 model that I signed up for the email list. No doubt, there are others here who are also interested in following along.

Keep it coming, Miz Trom...Great stuff!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
Old 01-15-2017, 01:17 PM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Let's let it go and return to the Great Harbour build.

I'm so intrigued by this TT35 model that I signed up for the email list. No doubt, there are others here who are also interested in following along.

Keep it coming, Miz Trom...Great stuff!
Like you, I'm intrigued by things new and different that I otherwise would know nothing about if not for reading about them here.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #92

City: Kalamazoo
If one just over looks a comment and moves on and does not hold a grudge or insist they too must join in and speak their mind then a thread moves along peacefully.

Now if the rudeness continues by any said subject then of course speak to them.

Every one thinks and speaks differently and far too many times something is written in one way and some one else reads it another.

The best way to destroy a wonderful thread is to bicker about bickering that was bickered by a bickerer that really did not mean to bicker.

I was truly enjoying the thread until all the bickering started, then one just wants to move on.

Any way a very happy congratulations to the OP and the new build !! That's got to be Awesome! !
May the TT always be full of wonderful adventures and lasting memories.

Jim
Old 01-25-2017, 04:12 PM   #93
Guru

Quote:
I was truly enjoying the thread until all the bickering started, then one just wants to move on.
-Fish Catcher Jim

Ditto.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #94
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
New Trawler Build: Introduction and First Question

In water test data on GH35.

https://www.facebook.com/greatharbou...99795920068741
Old 02-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #95
Guru

10 MPH @ 2 GPH = FANTASTIC!

Who needs a diesel?
Old 02-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #96
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
What engines does it have? 4 GPH at 15 mph is very good. New outboards make about 12 hp per gph. So that hull needs only 48 hp to go 15 mph. But it doesn't give gph at its wot speed of 25 mph, so I was wondering how much hp.

David
Old 02-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #97
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
What engines does it have?
Two 60HP Suzuki's.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #98
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
So, I plugged 120 hp and the GH website specs for that boat into boatdiesel's calculator and came up with something between an average planning and a fast planning hull to match 25 mph at wot.

FWIW it indicated 44 hp to hit 15 mph at 3,500 rpm (5,000 rpm at wot). That means you could comfortably cruise at that speed and not be too noisy.

Very nice numbers for a boat that you can live on.

David
Old 02-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #99

City: Counce, Tennessee
Vessel Name: Zia Harmony
Vessel Model: Atlas Acadia 25
Read through the thread and have a question. Was wondering if putting a diesel outboard on might be possible? Googled diesel outboards and most are low HP but saw a current 60hp diesel outboard.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #100
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronZebra View Post
Read through the thread and have a question. Was wondering if putting a diesel outboard on might be possible? Googled diesel outboards and most are low HP but saw a current 60hp diesel outboard.
I am curious, are there any diesel outboards available in the US?
I know that they are ubiquitous in the South Pacific but I am not aware of any here in the US.
That would be a very interesting possibility wouldn't it?
Bruce
Closed Thread

Tags
great harbour