Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-14-2016, 07:17 PM   #61
Senior Member
 
Miz Trom's Avatar
 
City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 468
Donsan:
I do not know if the interior is standard or not. You would need to call or email Great Harbour to find out. Their email address and phone number is at the bottom of every page on the website:

TT35 Specifications - Great Harbour Trawlers

Regards,
Pea
Miz Trom is offline  
Old 12-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #62
Newbie
 
City: belton
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4
Pea - you won't regret getting the airhead toilet. No, our cutwater has an inboard Volvo diesel and not sterndrive. It's a great boat made (and backed) by a super company but it is difficult to get the engine serviced in Texas and is heavy to trailer (11,400 lbs trailer + boat).
Is a triple-axle trailer included in the base price of your boat? Any luck on getting a helm door?
We are planning a boat trip to the FL keys next May and plan to stop by and speak with Ken at Mirage. Hopefully he will have a boat to test drive. Keep us posted on your progress. Bill
bill johnston is offline  
Old 12-21-2016, 08:23 PM   #63
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,271
Just saw this on Facebook

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1482369799.094056.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	59775
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1482369812.318654.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	59776

Looking good!
cardude01 is offline  
Old 12-21-2016, 09:14 PM   #64
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,288
I wont pull any punches. I don't like it. My advise buy a good used lobster boat with some basic cruising accommodations and a diesel motor in the 35 to 36 foot range. Then you will have a well proven safe economical cruising platform.
eyschulman is offline  
Old 12-21-2016, 11:06 PM   #65
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,271
The OP is already in the process of building the boat-- money has been paid. What good does your "I don't like it" comment do? I just don't understand comments like that.

If that was your bedside manner as a MD I'm glad you retired, or maybe you were a researcher and didn't have to deal with the public?
cardude01 is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 12:55 AM   #66
Senior Member
 
Miz Trom's Avatar
 
City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 468
Cardude01:
Thank you kindly for posting the Facebook pictures! And like you, I was also momentarily taken aback by Eyschulman's comment; but then I reflected that if I boated in Seattle I'd probably be only interested in a very heavy, deep draft vessel, too.

Bill:
To answer your questions, yes on the helm door and yes on the trailer. Now we need a bigger truck. And we are trying to schedule another trip up to the GH plant next week, and I promise to be better about posting the pictures in a timely manner.

Finally have some time off tomorrow and we will be putting the finishing touches on the Christmas lights on the little boat for the neighborhood Christmas Eve Boat Parade. The weather is going to be perfect (woohoo!) for the boat parade, with a high of 80 F (26.6 C) in the afternoon on Christmas Eve and a low of 66 F (18.9 C) early Christmas morning, so we should be right around 72-74 F (23 C) for the nighttime parade.

One of the most awesome parts of this neighborhood boating tradition is that everyone lines their seawall with luminaries (candles set in sand inside white bags.) To get an idea of what it looks like, here is a photo of our backyard during the day compared to a photo of the same scene on Christmas Eve before the boat parade. (The blue line of light is a light string wrapped around the edge of our dock and reflected in the water below the dock. All the white dots are the luminaries lining our little cove, on land and also reflected in the water, which you can also see closer up on our seawall and dock.)

It is actually a very spiritual experience to glide along the water on Christmas Eve seeing this and have hundreds of neighbors calling out "Merry Christmas!" and "Thank you!" and "God Bless!"

On a personal note, has anyone else noticed that some friends and loved ones have a really hard time with the holiday season? Last week I realized that I was stuck in a depression, because I miss my dad terribly, who I recently lost under very, very difficult circumstances. However, it is traditions like this wonderful, crazy neighborhood boat parade that help me understand that no matter the hardship, no matter the crap that life throws at me, I have so much to be grateful for. So please lend a hand if you see someone having a hard time at this time of year, often just giving someone a call, and listening, does wonders.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone,
Pea
Attached Thumbnails
A Sunrise over Stamus.jpg   Christmas 2010 looking out over our cove.jpg  
Miz Trom is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 01:21 AM   #67
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 21,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post

On a personal note, has anyone else noticed that some friends and loved ones have a really hard time with the holiday season? Last week I realized that I was stuck in a depression, because I miss my dad terribly, who I recently lost under very, very difficult circumstances. However, it is traditions like this wonderful, crazy neighborhood boat parade that help me understand that no matter the hardship, no matter the crap that life throws at me, I have so much to be grateful for. So please lend a hand if you see someone having a hard time at this time of year, often just giving someone a call, and listening, does wonders.
It's hard to know what to do or say to some. I've known those who just went through a divorce who did not want any mention of Christmas, but wanted company that would promise not to talk about it. Also she avoided all stores that had Christmas products or decorations which is basically all stores. On the other hand for those who lost family, especially if that loss occurred around Christmas. I knew a woman whose husband died with no warning, no health issues, on Dec 26. That made the holiday torturous for her.

The holidays are a time of greatly increased bouts of depression. There is no time better with family and children and no time more lonely when alone. That is very difficult to help with as being with you or your family is still alone for many, sometimes more of a reminder.

The hardest thing, holidays or otherwise, is knowing how to help those struggling. Often it's just a few kind words to let them know you're thinking of them.
BandB is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 01:50 AM   #68
Memorial Member
 
City: Lafayette,LA
Vessel Name: Evangeline
Vessel Model: 35" Flybridge Sedan Senator
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 160
BandB; Thank you
Interestingly my grandmother passed on Christmas day 1984 at home with my mother. Unbeknownst to me Miss Micki's grandmother also passed within hours on the same day.
Some times it makes the the season difficult.
CWO KPM is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 07:21 AM   #69
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
I wont pull any punches. I don't like it. My advise buy a good used lobster boat with some basic cruising accommodations and a diesel motor in the 35 to 36 foot range. Then you will have a well proven safe economical cruising platform.
Would like to hear why you feel the TT35 will be an "unproven", "unsafe" and "uneconomical" cruising platform. Except for having dual gas outboards instead of a single diesel direct drive, it's envelope is somewhat similar to a Ranger 31' tug. If this is an indictment on gasoline engines, well, there are an awful lot of unsafe Sea Rays being produced. I fully expect the twin Suzuki 60Hp engines to get as good or better fuel economy than say a Perkins 6-354 or a Lehman at 7 knots based on my own experience with a Yamaha 150. Really think that statement is more than debatable.
Donsan is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #70
Newbie
 
City: belton
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 4
Pea - how many will the TT35 sleep? great progress!! Bill
bill johnston is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 06:45 PM   #71
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
The OP is already in the process of building the boat-- money has been paid. What good does your "I don't like it" comment do? I just don't understand comments like that.

If that was your bedside manner as a MD I'm glad you retired, or maybe you were a researcher and didn't have to deal with the public?
Temper temper . The comment is my opinion regarding the design aimed at all readers. Forms are here to air opinions. I did not notice any warning that only sugar coated opinions and statements are permitted and your post is a personal attack. If I am not permitted to say I don't like a particular design then what good is the site. Is it meant only for socializing and exchanging niceties. I still don't like the design and your insults wont change that.
eyschulman is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 07:12 PM   #72
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Would like to hear why you feel the TT35 will be an "unproven", "unsafe" and "uneconomical" cruising platform. Except for having dual gas outboards instead of a single diesel direct drive, it's envelope is somewhat similar to a Ranger 31' tug. If this is an indictment on gasoline engines, well, there are an awful lot of unsafe Sea Rays being produced. I fully expect the twin Suzuki 60Hp engines to get as good or better fuel economy than say a Perkins 6-354 or a Lehman at 7 knots based on my own experience with a Yamaha 150. Really think that statement is more than debatable.
Some reasons why I don't like the design as a live aboard for any extended time are 1. narrow living spaces 2 very shallow draft. 3. Not going to like being loaded with a lot of cruising gear. 4. compared to a classic lobster type at 32-36 feet with an inboard diesel I strongly suspect a big difference in sea keeping. If the boat is used in protected shallow waters and extensively trailered the type is better justified. Yes I favor diesel power when possible. Some may like the physical appearance of the boat and not having seen the boat actually in the water makes judgment hard. I place a fair emphasis on a boats appearance and I know that I am not unique in that department. From the drawings alone I suspect that this boat will not excite me. I do like the ranger tugs and consider them more in the realm of pocket cruisers. If people can or do use them as long term cruisers the more power to them.
eyschulman is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 07:45 PM   #73
Guru
 
Fletcher500's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1,871
Interesting concept as far as space and economy. Sea Ray did this with a 37 ft. and twin outboards about 2 years ago. Regarding sea worthiness, I bet you will be fine and can do some great coastal cruising.
Fletcher500 is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #74
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Temper temper . The comment is my opinion regarding the design aimed at all readers. Forms are here to air opinions. I did not notice any warning that only sugar coated opinions and statements are permitted and your post is a personal attack. If I am not permitted to say I don't like a particular design then what good is the site. Is it meant only for socializing and exchanging niceties. I still don't like the design and your insults wont change that.

Yes, I consider this a social forum, and it always helps to be nice when being social. So do you always need a warning label like "only sugar coated comments allowed" to keep yourself from sounding like a jerk? If someone is advertising a boat for sale on the forum do you think that gives you the right to post that it looks like a POS and you would never buy such junk?
cardude01 is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 10:10 PM   #75
TF Site Team
 
City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,863
As my grandmother used to say...."now then you boys"...

Having said that, I think that if one has strong opinions, and is not backward at coming forward to express them, one can expect return salvos in kind, and as such, I feel that is fair enough. If you don't like heat, stay out of the kitchen, or wear a fire-proof apron, is my take on this.
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline  
Old 12-22-2016, 10:55 PM   #76
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Yes, I consider this a social forum, and it always helps to be nice when being social. So do you always need a warning label like "only sugar coated comments allowed" to keep yourself from sounding like a jerk? If someone is advertising a boat for sale on the forum do you think that gives you the right to post that it looks like a POS and you would never buy such junk?
I don't see the form as just a social exchange. I think it is a place where ideas and boating opinions are exchanged be it about an anchor or how to fix the water pump and if one likes or does not like attributes of a boat. My memory is slipping did I say the boat looks like a POS or is that your opinion slipping out. I thought I said something like the look would probably not excite me, there is a lot of water between those two ports. So far most of the personal attack and nasty statements are from yours truly I only expressed my opinion about a boat. Now that we mutually agree that the other is less than a desirable person the matter is pretty much over for me. I also can assure you even knowing your post and attitude had I found you on my table you would have received the best care I could muster.
eyschulman is offline  
Old 12-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #77
Guru
 
City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Some reasons why I don't like the design as a live aboard for any extended time are 1. narrow living spaces 2 very shallow draft. 3. Not going to like being loaded with a lot of cruising gear. 4. compared to a classic lobster type at 32-36 feet with an inboard diesel I strongly suspect a big difference in sea keeping. If the boat is used in protected shallow waters and extensively trailered the type is better justified. Yes I favor diesel power when possible. Some may like the physical appearance of the boat and not having seen the boat actually in the water makes judgment hard. I place a fair emphasis on a boats appearance and I know that I am not unique in that department. From the drawings alone I suspect that this boat will not excite me. I do like the ranger tugs and consider them more in the realm of pocket cruisers. If people can or do use them as long term cruisers the more power to them.
I have looked and I have looked and have yet to find a 32-36' lobster boat with a centerline queen. Seems like your real indictment is it is designed for the type of boating we encounter in FL and the East Coast including the Bahamas. It may not be as suitable to the PNW with your generally deeper waters. But, I do share your concern over the narrow living spaces and that is why I am taking a wait and see.

You haven't seen it because it hasn't launched yet but the builder has been in the business a long time and his boats are well respected and safe. He has built off shore recreational fishing boats and trawlers and I think they see some opportunities to do something a little different than what the trawler community is used to. Designing a gas powered boat that is economical in the 7-15 knot range hasn't been mainstream and it might turn out to be as economical as some of our overpowered twin diesels. Certainly there are some risks in a new design but this is a proven boat builder.

Doubt if anyone will extensively trailer a 35' boat with a 10' beam but I do think they might be trailered 2-4 times a year and might be what some snow birders are looking for. The are several owners who have two boats because of the time it takes to cruise from the north or midwest to the west coast of FL. My idea is to hire a truck to trailer a boat up to MI in May and then return it to FL in early October.

Anyway, don't share most of your concerns.
Donsan is offline  
Old 12-23-2016, 11:01 AM   #78
Guru
 
cardude01's Avatar
 
City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,271
Eyschulman,

I apologize for my personal comments. I was trying to make a point but that was not the right way to do it.
cardude01 is offline  
Old 12-23-2016, 02:19 PM   #79
Guru
 
City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,249
When I first saw the apparent mockup partitions and such I was horrified that it might be something to be glassed over and made permanent! Glad to see the "plywood" wont be permanent. Its not plywood either, its chipboard which is why I was alarmed. I just had to have the floor in my travel trailer completely replaced because it was made of this most inferior of materials.
78puget-trawler is offline  
Old 12-23-2016, 08:04 PM   #80
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
I have looked and I have looked and have yet to find a 32-36' lobster boat with a centerline queen. Seems like your real indictment is it is designed for the type of boating we encounter in FL and the East Coast including the Bahamas. It may not be as suitable to the PNW with your generally deeper waters. But, I do share your concern over the narrow living spaces and that is why I am taking a wait and see.

You haven't seen it because it hasn't launched yet but the builder has been in the business a long time and his boats are well respected and safe. He has built off shore recreational fishing boats and trawlers and I think they see some opportunities to do something a little different than what the trawler community is used to. Designing a gas powered boat that is economical in the 7-15 knot range hasn't been mainstream and it might turn out to be as economical as some of our overpowered twin diesels. Certainly there are some risks in a new design but this is a proven boat builder.

Doubt if anyone will extensively trailer a 35' boat with a 10' beam but I do think they might be trailered 2-4 times a year and might be what some snow birders are looking for. The are several owners who have two boats because of the time it takes to cruise from the north or midwest to the west coast of FL. My idea is to hire a truck to trailer a boat up to MI in May and then return it to FL in early October.

Anyway, don't share most of your concerns.
When I look at this design with a use pattern south east coat (I boated Intercostal WW for 20 years) I compare it to a IB or OB powered 30 to 35 foot power catamaran or several other standard power boats which will do good service in the same areas, I think the boat falls far short in that comparison. I am sorry for invoking the multihull on a trawler site but really the design we are talking about will have a tough time fitting into the lower curve of whatever we decide a rec. trawler is. I just think there are lots of existing boat types at 35 feet LOA that trump this design many by a good margin depending on ones use pattern. Almost all those boats have known or knowable records some very well proven. When a builder or Marine Architect comes out with something new there is always an element of the unknown involved. It is entirely understandable that the manufacturer wants to expand their line but here I am not sure what is being offered that is different than all the 35 foot boats that can be had cheaper on the used market? These are some of the reasons why I don't like the design and my opinion is stated for all those people reading the posts on the site who come here to learn about boats and is in no way specifically directed at the new owner. When they posted on this site they opened the door. Maybe when they start using their boat it will help them understand what some of the compromises that were used to achieve this build. That's just my opinion which is based on over 50 years of boating and ownership of >25 boats and some years as a CGAUX safety inspector. And I'm still learning and know I don't know it all but do have opinions to share.
eyschulman is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
great harbour

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012