Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 02:31 PM   #201
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Bake is right. However difficult the process (most new things are that way), you’ve got a unique vessel that will turn heads and provoke questions everywhere. I sure hope the answers end up to be positive ones. So sorry about your frustrations in the build. I’d surely have not done as well.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:14 PM   #202
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
And now that the truth is out....well, part of it, but the whole truth is much worse than she describes, as she's greatly censored herself in this post....I do stick firmly by my criticism of the builder and anyone deciding to contract with them needs to understand the risks and it's caveat emptor. Please understand that many of the issues Miz Trom speaks of were also inherent on Hull #2 and others. The delay cost the buyer of #2 their only chance to do the loop before health issues, which now have led to their boat being for sale.

So, I add one item to the list Donsan made:

8. Be very careful in selecting your builder.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #203
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post

1. Avoid buying hull #1 of a new build.

The people who buy early production boats are incentivized by the introductory pricing. This can be a substantial discount on the regular production price. They are pretty much buying the prototypes.

The first sold TT35 had a intro price from the factory of about $220K. It is now listed for sale at $320K. How much of that price is owner preference change orders vs. the real cost of the boat, I don't know. However, I expect that production versions will be in the mid $300s when the design is stabilized.

In the end, introductory pricing on boats may not be the bargain the buyers expected. Unfortunately, the company resources of companies that make new or unique boats do not generally allow them the luxury of building prototype and test boats in order to work all the bugs out. Development must be done on customer delivery boats.

Same thing is probably happening with the SeaPiper.

On the other hand, bringing a new design to market is very difficult. The development costs are pretty high. If you develop a new boat and no one buys it, the company can fail. Trawlers Midwest developed the ECO Trawler 33 (for the same niche as the TT35). They built two as prototypes and marketing tools. AFAIK, they still have them both and no additional ones were ever made.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:26 PM   #204
Guru

City: Boston Area
Thank you so much for sharing your ordeal with the forum. If possible, can you give some examples of criteria that are not up to ABYC standards ?
Old 07-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #205

City: Hernando Beach
Vessel Model: Seaway
Benthic2:

Unfortunately, our attorney has advised us not to publish any details, so I am unable to answer your question at this time. I wish I could.

And I would like to request that the moderators close this thread.

Cheers,
Pea
Old 07-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #206
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Trom View Post
Benthic2:

Unfortunately, our attorney has advised us not to publish any details, so I am unable to answer your question at this time. I wish I could.

And I would like to request that the moderators close this thread.

Cheers,
Pea
You do realize that closing it will still leave it available to be read? I did just sent a report to the team and we will discuss it. Thank you for your civility and candor in this thread.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Old 07-23-2018, 12:35 PM   #207
Guru

City: Boston Area
I understand...thank you for responding.
Closed Thread

Tags
great harbour