Old 12-29-2015, 06:27 AM   #221
Veteran Member

City: Cartersville
Vessel Model: Velocity VR1
Anyone know if there will be any GH's or N's that might be available for a tour at Trawlerfest in Riveria Beach. I'll be down there Friday and Saturday. Thanks!
Velocityvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:09 AM   #222
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocityvr1 View Post
Anyone know if there will be any GH's or N's that might be available for a tour at Trawlerfest in Riveria Beach.
It is possible but not likely as there wasn't one last year. The link below has a list of boats currently scheduled to be shown but you need to keep checking it because as we get closer to Trawlerfest, they add or remove boats. Click on the "Water"" tab in the link.

TrawlerFest-Riviera Beach 2016 | | PassageMaker
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:27 AM   #223
Veteran Member

Will do! I know there are a few Online for sale but did not want to waste anyone's time since we are still researching and have a few years to go. However, really like the GH.

Also enjoy watching the you tube videos like La Vagabonde and Mondaynever. I can't seem to find any trawler specific videos that compare.

Thanks for the quick response!
Old 12-29-2015, 10:50 AM   #224

City: North Port, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
Velocityvr1,
There is a nice GH37 and a N47 for sale in Jacksonville, FL. There is a GH37 and three GH47 for sale near Sanibel, FL.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:06 AM   #225
Veteran Member

Yes, I just wish we were a little closer to buying. I look at Salty Dawg Too, Lo Que SE A and Easy all the time. Both SD Too and Lo Que Se A appear to be reasonably priced and in what our price range may be. Hopefully we will have an opportunity to tour one without inconveniencing anyone. SD Too has had a lot of work done to it. I think it would be interesting to talk to the owners of SD Too and compare their Nordhavn and the GH, understanding they are two trawlers built for different environments.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #226
Veteran Member

What are the names of the 47s?

Maybe East Passage, Tranquilty and Vegas Girl?
Old 05-27-2017, 10:04 PM   #227

City: Interior Texas
Vessel Name: Ray Sea Lady
Vessel Model: Sea Ray AC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Did Vicksburg finally sell? Didn't see it on YW today.

Someone saw past its problems....

Not sure if the sale date...

https://youtu.be/fNyayp856M8
texasnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:51 AM   #228

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnielsen View Post
Someone saw past its problems....

Not sure if the sale date...

https://youtu.be/fNyayp856M8
We heard at the GHTA meeting that it sold for a crazy low price.
Spottsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:36 AM   #229

Having watched the video several times, I am often (and shouldn't be) amazed as to what limited efforts individuals go to (don't do?) regarding the matainence of their possessions.

If it sold on the cheap as you've heard, someone hopefully has a beautiful vessel at sea somewhere by now. Perhaps one day we will see a video of the former Vicksburg returned to her previous glory.

Having read all I can find on TF concerning ownership of the GH brand, it's been interesting to note the date stamps on everyone's postings. It appears that most thread are several + years old now.
Even the GH owners forum blogs are similarly aged.

I guess like with fine wine, age can be a good thing I suppose. With thoughts of one day moving on to a GH I want to absorb as much knowledge from other's experiences as I can. Thus I am hoping to continually find and read about recent adventures and experiences.

Having made it past the initial stage of staring at them as one would an accident scene, I've grown very fond of the N47s. Alas my pocketbook will not afford a new hull to be laid up. With production numbers such as they are, I will continue to scour the web watching for when someone's caretaking is complete and they are ready to hand it over to the next sailor.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #230
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottsville View Post
We heard at the GHTA meeting that it sold for a crazy low price.
I would say it more than likely sold at market value and nothing crazy low about that. It wasn't worth much so didn't sell for much.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #231
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
I think Cardude looked at this boat a couple years ago .
Old 05-28-2017, 12:52 PM   #232

Recall reading that he walked away after an onsite informal inspection. A lot of delayed maintenance and general neglect of systems, etc.

The owner of what was formerly Vicksburg must have more $$$ than I. Personally, I obtain a lot of personal satisfaction maintaining my property. Be it tools, autos, boats, etc. How you treat "things" around you, be it people or possessions will often determine my interest in a person. We live in a disposable world I guess. Some take that to extremes. Different strokes for different folks as they say.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:44 PM   #233
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Right Marty. I recall his comments about the rust in the engine room. Anybody interested in these boats is probably doing exactly what I do, that is, check in from time to time to see if somehow, an affordable possibility appears. Ever since I took a tour of the boats in Green Cove Springs (thanks to Eric Craft) I've preferred the N-series for its comparatively low profile and huge boson's locker, not to mention it's nearly stand up ER with sea chest, bench & vice, and surperbly organized maintenance access. Vicksburg, the larger GH style, must be about the biggest 37' production pleasure boat ever made, but at the cost of windage and working height in the ER, it's like a bigger, heavier version of my boat. I'd love to see the vessel brought back to it's former glory, as I would that storm damaged N-37 the factory salvaged. Meanwhile, I dream on.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:43 PM   #234

City: Newburgh, Indiana
Vessel Name: Quiet Company
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH-47
Be careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I would say it more than likely sold at market value and nothing crazy low about that. It wasn't worth much so didn't sell for much.
The comment about Vicksburg selling for a value "less than it was worth" was made at the Great Harbour Trawler Association meeting in April over Docktails. It was said in the context that the source was amazed it sold for so much less than the survey value. I think it was in need of some updates, (but I won't speculate as to the circumstances around the sale since I don't know them), but I often see many great boats sell for less than they were worth especially if they need some work.

The issues that needed to be addressed where not major but needed attention. Several other GHs have sold recently and they have held value very well if they have been properly maintained (like lots of boats). Most GH owners keep their boats for years. If your lucky, every once in a while you can buy one.

One of my past boats that I was able to buy (not a GH) was bought for less than market value simply because the sellers interest at the time was onto something else and the boat was a distraction. He wanted to simplify their life and sell one of his many toys. When I offered what we all knew was much less than it was worth, he thought about and basically said "Screw it, its yours".

It was a happy day for me! Sometimes you in the right place at the right time...
Spottsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 07:11 PM   #235
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottsville View Post
The comment about Vicksburg selling for a value "less than it was worth" was made at the Great Harbour Trawler Association meeting in April over Docktails. It was said in the context that the source was amazed it sold for so much less than the survey value. I think it was in need of some updates, (but I won't speculate as to the circumstances around the sale since I don't know them), but I often see many great boats sell for less than they were worth especially if they need some work.

The issues that needed to be addressed where not major but needed attention. Several other GHs have sold recently and they have held value very well if they have been properly maintained (like lots of boats). Most GH owners keep their boats for years. If your lucky, every once in a while you can buy one.

One of my past boats that I was able to buy (not a GH) was bought for less than market value simply because the sellers interest at the time was onto something else and the boat was a distraction. He wanted to simplify their life and sell one of his many toys. When I offered what we all knew was much less than it was worth, he thought about and basically said "Screw it, its yours".

It was a happy day for me! Sometimes you in the right place at the right time...
Market value is The highest price that a buyer would pay and a seller would accept for an item in an open and competitive market. So, if an item is never introduced to that open market, you might purchase it at less than market value. However, once introduced to the market, it doesn't matter how great a deal one thinks they got, it's still market value.

As to "less than they were worth", obviously the market disagrees often. They're worth what a willing buyer will pay a willing seller. You say you often see "many great boats sell for less than they were worth especially if they need some work." No, like this boat, they sell for what they're worth in their current condition which is based on the work that needs to be done.

I know it's just semantics and not an important distinction to most, but saying this boat was worth more just doesn't make sense to me. It was worth what one would pay. All those saying it sold for less than it was worth didn't make an offer at more or they would have bought it. It sat on the market for a long time.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 08:36 PM   #236

Talking

The following is especially true when discussing GHs.
Beauty, like a good deal, is in the eye of the beholder.

To debate market value in this scenario, be it one mans feeling of having gotten a good deal in their estimation versus another's idea of it sold for what the market would bear is analogous to debating whether bananas on a ship are bad luck.

Is there ever a time when people realize raining on someone else's parade, be it debating hull shapes that isn't your own, single versus twins when you have the opposite, etc. just makes a person appear to be argumentative for the purpose of being argumentative? Raising one's voice or repeating oneself doesn't infer accuracy.

So the bloke who purchased Vicksburg thought he got a good deal. Does one honestly believe that person gives a hoot about anyone else arguing about market value? The definition may be accurate. The opinion of the buyer of the GH in question; I doubt they care. So why should I? Someone has the resources to bring a hull back from what would have been certainly ongoing neglect. I personally am happy for them.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:03 PM   #237
Veteran Member

City: Gulfport
Good point Texas....
Plane Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 09:07 PM   #238
Veteran Member

City: Gulfport
And to add.... Not much more info on the TT35 build. Wonder why that is? Doubt it's because there are no pics of the progress.....
Plane Nauti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:26 PM   #239
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Great Harbour N37 Young America at our dock yesterday

Yeah I looked pretty hard at Vicksburg. There was some deferred maintenance like the rust all over the engines, some systems like the generator, inverter and others that were totally inop, and quite a few big blisters. Nothing that wasn't fixable, but I just wasn't the right person for that many projects at that point in my life.

Also, we took it for a sea trial on a windy day, and when the thruster failed the captain had some serious difficulty docking the boat and we whacked the dock. I know others handle the GH design fine, but it seemed fairly unwieldily for my limited skills.

Finally, my wife wasn't thrilled with the way the GH looked, so that probably killed it more than anything else.

I like the N series boats more.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:53 PM   #240
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Did somebody say bananas on a ship are bad luck?! OMG!