Yacht Broker question Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miz Trom

Guru
Vessel Make
Seaway
We've decided to go the yacht broker route after having our boat for sale by owner for several weeks.

A friend in the boat financing industry highly recommended St. Pete Yacht Brokers. Their contract is for six months.

Is this the standard length of contract in the industry?

Thanks in advance,
Mrs. Trombley

We've decided to go the yacht broker route after having our boat for sale by owner for several weeks.

A friend in the boat financing industry highly recommended St. Pete Yacht Brokers. Their contract is for six months.

Is this the standard length of contract in the industry?

Thanks in advance,
Mrs. Trombley

Most require a one year contract.

In this boat market if your boat isn't sold in 90 days you have the wrong broker, wrong price, or the wrong boat.

In this boat market if your boat isn't sold in 90 days you have the wrong broker, wrong price, or the wrong boat.

It’s a strong market for sure, but depends on the boat, and where it’s located. Virginia Yacht Sales in Chesapeake Va., is selling everything they list, but they have a “bazillion” government employees with SWEET pensions nearby, with a major airport close by. Hansen Yachts in Jacksonville is also slamming them out, but offer freshwater covered dockage, with a convergence of E-W, and N-S Interstates nearby, also with a convenient airport. It’s hard selling boats to people who have no dockage to keep them, and hard to sell trailerable boats that require a $75k tow vehicle (that has brakes enough to stop) to tow them. Not exactly a rig you want to pull through urban areas. I wonder if that rig could actually reach St. Pete Yacht Sales office, and if it can’t, then why them? Seems like a rig you would want visible from a major artery like one of those RV dealerships sitting on Interstates. I bet it would sell within a few days.

Last edited:
You are the seller, and sellers are in a position of strength in this market vis a vis buyers and brokers. But 6 months is pretty standard and is reasonable given the time to list, show, survey and close.

I would avoid Miami to Fort Lauderdale area brokers. St Pete sounds good. Maybe the best is Annapolis but you would need to move your boat up there.

David

I bought thru Pier One Yacht sales and they were very thorough and easy to work with. They are in multiple locations, along the west coast of FL, with an office in St. Pete. Massey is another of the bigger brokers also with multiple offices. If you can get the boat into the national listing through any of the brokers, your odds of selling go way up. People are buying from almost everywhere.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom