Would you like 1/2 of a boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive been in a partnership with our 34 clipper trawler for about 6 years.

Unless I had copious money and time, I'd never go alone again.

Originally it was two of us but now the three. We set the responsibilities whereby I looked after the mechanical and my partner looked after looked after everything else - but not exclusively and we help each other out. After a few years a third member heard we we both not using the boat a lot and requested to join. He wanted to contribute and it was a breath of fresh air with him attending to lots of minor little nuances we had never got to.

Our boat is old and needing constant work. The variety of skills we all bring helps getting over these hurdles. As does our differing levels of motivation/passion at the time. The other two members are retired and spend a lot of time with their grand kids. I have a young family. Sometimes a couple of months would go past where I don't even attend the boat, and I dont feel guilty as the other lads will be using it..

We have our annual maintenance down to a very swift operation now, hauling out on the friday morning and each spending about 1.5 days to complete all mechanical, hull and other annuals and usually a few other big jobs.

We keep the boat in better working order than we would if we owned by ourselves, and we also keep a limit on the unnecessary add on's and capital upgrades. Logging, maintenance scheduling and the like is done much more professionally.

There has been a few disagreements, such as the tender we wanted, and some electronic upgrades after an insurance claim. But none of us wish to get in the others way and so we don't sweat on the minor problems.

The three of us are all skippers with the local volunteer sea rescue group. So we are confident in each other's ability to maneuver the boat. But items break and things happen so we agree to split the bill incase of an incident.

The hardest part for me is managing guests, and young children.. I see them as my responsibility and there is a greater responsibility when the boat is shared..

The cost now is acceptable whereby if for what ever reason I don't use the boat, i'm not over committed from a cost perspective and my suggestion is to partner on a boat where the financial outlay is not high. If I was committing to hundreds of thousands the situation could be much different.

But in general the biggest plus is the upkeep. Some jobs are just a pain in the butt. Sometimes a partner will do it, sometimes you take it for the team, other times its great to have the help from the other partners as my mates certainly cannot be relied on! We always have beer in the fridge and we don't fret about who paid for it.

Its a great partnership and I would encourage it under the right circumstances..

Back
Top Bottom