Why wouldn’t their industrial “home” insurance cover that?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry M

Guru
Site Team
QUOTE=Nomad Willy;1114268]rs,
Why wouldn’t their industrial “home” insurance cover that?

If you parked your motor home alongside my house an RV/home fire erupted … my home insurance would cover it .. I would think.
If there were two insurance policies the insurance business is double dipping.[/QUOTE]

I doubt your home insurance would cover damages to your RV. Your home insurance would also not cover your cars in the garage.

Now if your neighbors RV was damaged by your house fire, the neighbors RV insurance would cover his RV and then make a claim against your home insurance.

If a asset is double insured only one insurance company will pay the other is not obligated as you have already been made whole.

It's just good business for harbors to require liability insurance. That way in a boat causes damage to other boats or to the enviroment,or the harbor, the claim gets paid.

And many marina's would want to be "named insured" to boot

Last edited:
There is complex law here on "dual insurance". Commonly both policies say that if something is insured otherwise as well, the policy doesn`t pay. So theoretically, 2 policies covering one loss means neither pays. Even the law realized that was wrong, they both contribute,in proportions that need working out case by case.
In the example in #1 above, the home policy might pay for the RV by way of liability cover if the house fire was negligently caused but the policy would not of itself cover the RV.

That`s here. Over there,??????.

My understanding is when there are 2 policies involved, one is primary. I asked the question once on our marine policy that included towing. We also had BoatUS towing and the reply was BoatUS would be primary and our marine policy would be secondary. How that is figured out is beyond my pay grade.

If a boat catches fire and causes damage to neighboring boats, the neighboring boats insurance would cover the damage.

Unless negligence can be proven against the first boat.

Back
Top Bottom