Old 10-01-2021, 04:07 PM   #21
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. B2. If you're semi-serious about buying that boat, spend a few $$ and get a surveyor to look it over. Needn't be a full survey. I'm sure that for a reasonable fee a competent surveyor should be able to say "She's worth $X." Is the year and model in the NADA guide?
Old 10-01-2021, 08:57 PM   #22
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
It's definitely fiberglass. Hatteras started out in glass, not wood.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:30 AM   #23
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
It's definitely fiberglass, and a lot of it. It was built before the public was sure of the merits of fiberglass. I'm sure the hull bottom has areas that are over an inch thick. The whole boat was overbuilt anywhere fiberglass was concerned. Not necessarily a bad thing but not necessarily a big benefit, either.
I guess a big concern would be the old wiring. The AC shore is surely dated and not up to todays standards unless it's been upgraded and if I remember correctly, I think Hatteras used 32 volts for the house systems and 24 volts for the engines. Component replacement like bilge pumps, domestic water pumps and lighting become an issue with that unpopular voltage.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:12 AM   #24

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
There’s a nice looking one on Yachtworld. Asking price is US $9500.

John
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:14 AM   #25

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
https://www.hatterasowners.com/Broch...34DCB-0063.pdf

https://www.hatterasowners.com/Broch...34DCB-0066.pdf

https://www.hatterasowners.com/Broch...4DCPA-0001.pdf
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:10 AM   #26
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
Yeah she's a big glasser and light because she's supposed to be a planning hull. I ask about the price for one in excellent condition to help judge where the top end would be. To see if there was meat on the bone in case I ran into some unforeseen problems or had to sell. Also the Hatteras name has some clout with certain people and certain Hatteras boats. For me the boat is ok as I am a solo boater. It looks like a good boat for sprucing up. I doesn't really seem to need a lot to make nice and useable.

I've been looking at so many boats lately, my brain is almost in overload mode.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:14 PM   #27
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Every year takes you further from nostalgia of older boats and potential buyers.....thousands of used, inexpensive older boats hit the market...insurance becomes an issue....financing near impossible....etc

Its not that it couldn't be a great but, just that it might be an albatross to get rid of.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 12:32 PM   #28
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Yes, Hatts have good bones. But as many others have said, this will almost certainly be a money-losing proposition for you and on a big scale if you put a lot of money in it. The only redemption is to get your money back through a lot of use and enjoyment of the boat. If you can do some of the refurbishment yourself rather than hiring it out, you'll obviously save considerable money.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:44 PM   #29
Guru

Just remember to tack on quite a few thousand at the end of your use for disposal if it doesn't sell and storage starts to accumulate.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:30 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Every year takes you further from nostalgia of older boats and potential buyers.....thousands of used, inexpensive older boats hit the market...insurance becomes an issue....financing near impossible....etc

Its not that it couldn't be a great but, just that it might be an albatross to get rid of.

Quite right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Yes, Hatts have good bones. But as many others have said, this will almost certainly be a money-losing proposition for you and on a big scale if you put a lot of money in it. The only redemption is to get your money back through a lot of use and enjoyment of the boat. If you can do some of the refurbishment yourself rather than hiring it out, you'll obviously save considerable money.

Yes, I do all of my own work. I rarely farm anything out.

Quote:
Just remember to tack on quite a few thousand at the end of your use for disposal if it doesn't sell and storage starts to accumulate.

I have a rot spot on my property if I ever have to have a boat hauled that won't sell. There I can salvage what I can and cut up the rest.

Old 10-02-2021, 07:46 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Quite right.

Yes, I do all of my own work. I rarely farm anything out.

I have a rot spot on my property if I ever have to have a boat hauled that won't sell. There I can salvage what I can and cut up the rest.
Check around, a lot of landfills won't take crushed/cutup boats. Those that do often get a lot of money to take them. That's why after hurricanes...many have to be shipped by barge quite a distance away sometimes.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:08 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Check around, a lot of landfills won't take crushed/cutup boats. Those that do often get a lot of money to take them. That's why after hurricanes...many have to be shipped by barge quite a distance away sometimes.

That's true. I think I will have to pass on the boat anyway. A boat closer to home has dropped in price. I know what the owners are paying to store the boat they can no longer afford. I have an opportunity to take a nice problem off their hands. Thankfully, they have maintained the boat. It's been for sale for two years. They are getting desperate and I might be the guy.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:45 AM   #33
Guru

City: Seattle
Plenty, plenty of Mainship 34's with single diesel available in the $25-35k range and they won't be 60 years old. Also, how in the world do you reach those engines or down to the bilge? You'll be laying on your stomach, stretching your 4ft long arms down, with blood flowing into your brain getting dizzy.

You asked for opinions, so I'd pass.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 09:43 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Plenty, plenty of Mainship 34's with single diesel available in the $25-35k range and they won't be 60 years old. Also, how in the world do you reach those engines or down to the bilge? You'll be laying on your stomach, stretching your 4ft long arms down, with blood flowing into your brain getting dizzy.

You asked for opinions, so I'd pass.
Pilot house sole lifts out in sections to completely expose the engines.

Old 10-08-2021, 01:59 PM   #35
Veteran Member

City: Pine Knoll Shores, NC
Vessel Name: Hail Mary
Vessel Model: Sterling Yachts Atlantic 45
If you want to get insurance, be sure to do your research beforehand. Most companies won't write a policy at all. If you do get one, you will be surprised at the premiums to get hull value insured...and you likely won't get any windstorm coverage, even if out of the water.
pattormey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 02:13 PM   #36

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Amnesia
Vessel Model: Meridian 580
I have experience with trying to sell or dispose of a 1964 34' double cabin Hatteras. My deceased father-in-law purchased one new in 1964 and kept it forever. My wife tried to sell it about 3 years ago. It was impossible to get any interest. It had gasoline engines and everything worked but still could not find anyone to make any kind of offer. She wound up donating it to Washington College in Chestertown, MD for their marine science department.
egbauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 03:27 PM   #37

City: Edmonds
Vessel Name: Miss Maui
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
If you were selling this boat today what do you think you would get?

In three short years that boat will be 60 years old. You probably will only be able to get liability insurance for it right now, meaning it has no insurable value, and you may have to shop pretty hard to find any insurance. Figure you're going to spend $5-10K upfront to get everything in good working order.

If you need to re-wire or re-plumb, figure another $5-10K. Moorage costs. Ongoing maintenance costs. New electronics? Radar? All for an old boat that may need to be repowered soon, or to repair engines with limited parts availability.

You'd be extremely lucky to find a buyer at $2,000. No broker would list it, because their commission wouldn't cover the cost of placing an ad. Are you going to list it on CraigsList and deal with all of the nutters out there that will waste your time? I would take it for a token payment of $100. Not a penny more. Enjoy it for 3-5 years and give it away when you're no longer enjoying it.

If you don't get this boat there will be another. And another. And another...
Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 09:04 AM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Crystal River
Vessel Name: Ailyn
Vessel Model: Mainship 36DC
Old boats and the real cost to own

I just finished an eight year project on a 35 year old 41 foot boat.
When I first looked at it, I was astounded that a boat this big could sell for so low a price. So, I looked it over extremely well and then had it quick surveyed and he gave it a nod on the price.
The first few times out, she performed well. I was a happy camper.
Then the problems started. One engine was overheating which I did not see at putt putt speed. But, the first time at WOT, she quickly over temped and had to be shut down. #2 took us home. Eventually, I replaced both gas Crusaders thinking about another 1000 hours and reliability. Then a Borg Warner trans had to be replaced. Then some shaft work, rudder work, rebuild both steering heads, new radio, new wiring, the list goes on.
In the end, I've got about double in it compared to what the market says it's worth. Being realistic, I have a boat that is in great condition that I have rarely used because something always kept me working on it. I'd have been far better off to buy a much newer boat. Just like our bodies, an old boats parts age and need fixin. If you want to spend your free time fixin rather than boatin, then have at it. For me this has been a hard lesson.
CmdrDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #39
Guru

I get what you guys are saying. I've moved on to another boat. One that I actually like and want.

Old 10-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #40
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
That's true. I think I will have to pass on the boat anyway. A boat closer to home has dropped in price. I know what the owners are paying to store the boat they can no longer afford. I have an opportunity to take a nice problem off their hands. Thankfully, they have maintained the boat. It's been for sale for two years. They are getting desperate and I might be the guy.
Did you get the other boat?
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote