What would it be worth? 1964 34ft Hatteras Double Cabin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quite right.

Yes, I do all of my own work. I rarely farm anything out.

I have a rot spot on my property if I ever have to have a boat hauled that won't sell. There I can salvage what I can and cut up the rest. :thumb:

Check around, a lot of landfills won't take crushed/cutup boats. Those that do often get a lot of money to take them. That's why after hurricanes...many have to be shipped by barge quite a distance away sometimes.

Check around, a lot of landfills won't take crushed/cutup boats. Those that do often get a lot of money to take them. That's why after hurricanes...many have to be shipped by barge quite a distance away sometimes.

That's true. I think I will have to pass on the boat anyway. A boat closer to home has dropped in price. I know what the owners are paying to store the boat they can no longer afford. I have an opportunity to take a nice problem off their hands. Thankfully, they have maintained the boat. It's been for sale for two years. They are getting desperate and I might be the guy.

Plenty, plenty of Mainship 34's with single diesel available in the $25-35k range and they won't be 60 years old. Also, how in the world do you reach those engines or down to the bilge? You'll be laying on your stomach, stretching your 4ft long arms down, with blood flowing into your brain getting dizzy.

You asked for opinions, so I'd pass.

Plenty, plenty of Mainship 34's with single diesel available in the $25-35k range and they won't be 60 years old. Also, how in the world do you reach those engines or down to the bilge? You'll be laying on your stomach, stretching your 4ft long arms down, with blood flowing into your brain getting dizzy.

You asked for opinions, so I'd pass.
Pilot house sole lifts out in sections to completely expose the engines.

If you want to get insurance, be sure to do your research beforehand. Most companies won't write a policy at all. If you do get one, you will be surprised at the premiums to get hull value insured...and you likely won't get any windstorm coverage, even if out of the water.

I have experience with trying to sell or dispose of a 1964 34' double cabin Hatteras. My deceased father-in-law purchased one new in 1964 and kept it forever. My wife tried to sell it about 3 years ago. It was impossible to get any interest. It had gasoline engines and everything worked but still could not find anyone to make any kind of offer. She wound up donating it to Washington College in Chestertown, MD for their marine science department.

If you were selling this boat today what do you think you would get?

In three short years that boat will be 60 years old. You probably will only be able to get liability insurance for it right now, meaning it has no insurable value, and you may have to shop pretty hard to find any insurance. Figure you're going to spend $5-10K upfront to get everything in good working order.

If you need to re-wire or re-plumb, figure another $5-10K. Moorage costs. Ongoing maintenance costs. New electronics? Radar? All for an old boat that may need to be repowered soon, or to repair engines with limited parts availability.

You'd be extremely lucky to find a buyer at $2,000. No broker would list it, because their commission wouldn't cover the cost of placing an ad. Are you going to list it on CraigsList and deal with all of the nutters out there that will waste your time? I would take it for a token payment of $100. Not a penny more. Enjoy it for 3-5 years and give it away when you're no longer enjoying it.

If you don't get this boat there will be another. And another. And another...

Old boats and the real cost to own

I just finished an eight year project on a 35 year old 41 foot boat.
When I first looked at it, I was astounded that a boat this big could sell for so low a price. So, I looked it over extremely well and then had it quick surveyed and he gave it a nod on the price.
The first few times out, she performed well. I was a happy camper.
Then the problems started. One engine was overheating which I did not see at putt putt speed. But, the first time at WOT, she quickly over temped and had to be shut down. #2 took us home. Eventually, I replaced both gas Crusaders thinking about another 1000 hours and reliability. Then a Borg Warner trans had to be replaced. Then some shaft work, rudder work, rebuild both steering heads, new radio, new wiring, the list goes on.
In the end, I've got about double in it compared to what the market says it's worth. Being realistic, I have a boat that is in great condition that I have rarely used because something always kept me working on it. I'd have been far better off to buy a much newer boat. Just like our bodies, an old boats parts age and need fixin. If you want to spend your free time fixin rather than boatin, then have at it. For me this has been a hard lesson.

I get what you guys are saying. I've moved on to another boat. One that I actually like and want.

That's true. I think I will have to pass on the boat anyway. A boat closer to home has dropped in price. I know what the owners are paying to store the boat they can no longer afford. I have an opportunity to take a nice problem off their hands. Thankfully, they have maintained the boat. It's been for sale for two years. They are getting desperate and I might be the guy.

Did you get the other boat?

If you are ready to spend $35-40K I would keep looking. I spent 3 years searching and finally found the perfect fit fit for me in Nov 2020. It is a 1973 GB 36 Classic w/ twin Lehman 120hp. The hull, topsides, transom all in excellent condition. New shaft coupling, shafts, cutlass bearings and props. 2 YO cook stove, reverse cycle heat/a-c and water heater. The deck and interior need work, but it works for me as I do that type work. I paid $37k for what a C&V survey said was worth about $39K. But this price included EVERYTHING on the boat as the owner was not moving on to another boat for medical reasons. You have to be realistic (though I am not always) about time, money, your own abilities. Best of luck. PS the GB weight spec is 26,000 lb.

If you are ready to spend $35-40K I would keep looking. I spent 3 years searching and finally found the perfect fit fit for me in Nov 2020. It is a 1973 GB 36 Classic w/ twin Lehman 120hp. The hull, topsides, transom all in excellent condition. New shaft coupling, shafts, cutlass bearings and props. 2 YO cook stove, reverse cycle heat/a-c and water heater. The deck and interior need work, but it works for me as I do that type work. I paid $37k for what a C&V survey said was worth about $39K. But this price included EVERYTHING on the boat as the owner was not moving on to another boat for medical reasons. You have to be realistic (though I am not always) about time, money, your own abilities. Best of luck. PS the GB weight spec is 26,000 lb.

If you see my other posts, I wanted to know the value to see if the boat was worth buying and putting money into. It's not for me. I have found a better boat much closer to home. We're trying to work a deal now. I've also moved away from powerboats over the last two years, but if the right deal comes along.

Quite right.

Yes, I do all of my own work. I rarely farm anything out.

I have a rot spot on my property if I ever have to have a boat hauled that won't sell. There I can salvage what I can and cut up the rest. :thumb:

In all reality, he's trying to get out from underneath her and the winter storage fees. I'd have a real good look at her, fire it up, check all systems and tell the owner I'd be happy to take her off is hands if all looked good. That boat, while a Hatteras is going to sit on the market until another starry eyed dreamer comes along. Lots of good advice on here and do you really want an old tub sitting on your land when she craps out?? caveat emptor

In all reality, he's trying to get out from underneath her and the winter storage fees. I'd have a real good look at her, fire it up, check all systems and tell the owner I'd be happy to take her off is hands if all looked good. That boat, while a Hatteras is going to sit on the market until another starry eyed dreamer comes along. Lots of good advice on here and do you really want an old tub sitting on your land when she craps out?? caveat emptor
Oh thank cheese in gravy that I'm not a starry eyed dreamer. I would have bought many piles of dung many years ago. I was onto another boat but it sold to someone else due to my indecisiveness.

Note. It is unlikely you will be able to get hull insurance but liability insurance is readily available.

Back
Top Bottom