Old 09-30-2021, 10:52 PM   #1
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
What would it be worth? 1964 34ft Hatteras Double Cabin

I'm looking at a 34ft 1964 Hatteras Double Cabin. I can't find much info on them. It has twin early non turbo international diesel engines. I think they make about 200-220hp each but loads of torque with a redline of 2800 rpm. The boat runs out well and the interior is in really good condition. The hull needs a buff but over all 8.5 out of 10. Could be a 9 if she was buffed out. Everything on the boat seems to be in good working order. What would a boat like this be wort? I know it's worth what someone will give but I can't find enough examples for sell to determine a value. There are very few on the internets.

She specs out at 34 ft, 12.5 ft beam, 3 ft draft, 13,000 lbs, 6' 4" head room, 200 gal fuel, cruise 8 knts, max 14 knts, updated/upgraded poly tanks for water/waste. Galley is down but who spends a lot of time in the galley? 2 heads and one with shower. The seller is open to offers but I don't know what to offer and he doesn't want to give me a price point to start from. I'm thinking $35,000 to 40,000. What say the members?

Here is a pic of a similar boat but looking a bit rougher.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Remember this is a 1964, so I would be thinking in the mid to upper $20K range. It is almost 60 years old even if it is in relatively good condition it will be very difficult if not impossible to insure. Good luck and hope it works out well for you.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:15 PM   #3
Guru

City: Homer, Ak
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
unless it has historical vintage value it will be very difficult to sell or even give for free.
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 11:16 PM   #4
Guru

City: Boston Area
Here's one for $8,900. (I was surprised it was fiberglass)

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1963...cabin-7046311/

Here's a '65 for $4,500

https://www.smartmarineguide.com/L49159717

$17,500:
https://marinesource.com/boats-for-s...gnmb=100769672

$9,500:
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/196...cabin-4364702/
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:41 AM   #5
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Without actually seeing the boat. I would say your valuation is generous, I heard they were built like tanks back then and if its been well cared for?
CharlieO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:54 AM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
It might be a throwaway boat. $20,000 would be tops and only if I could get at least liability/environmental insurance.

By the time you are done with it, no one may want it other than a dock condo and you might get $5000 for it because there are thousands more each day out there in the same situation.

Might be different if she was a cult boat with a following....I just don't have that info.

Heaven forbid an engine goes
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:03 AM   #7
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
If it only does 14 kts at WOT, considering the weight listed, I figure those engines have to be under 200 hp.

In good enough shape, if you like and want the boat, I'd consider it, but have in the back of your mind that someday it may be repower time. Both because International diesels aren't common in marine applications (so at some point you may hit a part availability problem) and because it strikes me as underpowered. It's a fairly slow, draggy planing hull, but it's still a planing hull. And ideally it should have enough power to cruise continuously at 16 kts or so if desired.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I agree w rslifkin,
Lots and lots of boats on this forum that are basically planing hulld w/o the power to plane. They just run at 8 knots.
I think the IH engines are good but the availability of replacement exhaust manifolds could well be a problem soon to rear it’s head.
Charlie O says they were built like tanks but it specs to be 13klbs and that’s two tons less than a 30’ Willard. ??
But if she looks like the one in the picture I’d be wanting it.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:57 AM   #9
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Charlie O says they were built like tanks but it specs to be 13klbs and that’s two tons less than a 30’ Willard. ??

13k lbs does seem light. Even seems a bit light for dry weight. Hatteras was always known for building pretty heavy boats (and that's part of why they're fairly slow compared to other planing hulls).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:04 AM   #10
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Shipoopi
Vessel Model: derilic sailboat
All fair and valid points. Benthic2 posted the blue and red boat the owner asked me to make an offer on. I really haven't been looking at power boats. I've been looking at sailboats mostly. The only reason I considered the Hatty is because it was in the yard where I was looking at another boat. As I was leaving, the owner pointed out his boat, gave me a few details, and asked me to make him an offer. I told him I really had no idea of it's value. He's an older guy and looking to go back to home life and get away from boat life. Having the Hatteras branding made me think the boat may have some real value. I'm sure it would if it was 40+ feet and covered in drip aka the latest fads and fashion.

I use duck duck go search engine and I never get good searches even though they use the same general tech as google or microsoft for searching.

What a pain in the transom.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:56 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I agree w rslifkin,
Lots and lots of boats on this forum that are basically planing hulld w/o the power to plane. They just run at 8 knots.
I think the IH engines are good but the availability of replacement exhaust manifolds could well be a problem soon to rear it’s head.
But if she looks like the one in the picture I’d be wanting it.
Kinda two different boats, Don't the Willards have added ballast and is a full displacement boat, where as this boat is a planing hull although probably a bit underpowered to get up.

Disclaimer: I don't claim to be smart.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:07 AM   #12
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
All fair and valid points. Benthic2 posted the blue and red boat the owner asked me to make an offer on. I really haven't been looking at power boats. I've been looking at sailboats mostly. The only reason I considered the Hatty is because it was in the yard where I was looking at another boat. As I was leaving, the owner pointed out his boat, gave me a few details, and asked me to make him an offer. I told him I really had no idea of it's value. He's an older guy and looking to go back to home life and get away from boat life. Having the Hatteras branding made me think the boat may have some real value. I'm sure it would if it was 40+ feet and covered in drip aka the latest fads and fashion.

I use duck duck go search engine and I never get good searches even though they use the same general tech as google or microsoft for searching.
Confused. Listed at $9500, why did you think it was worth 35-40K. He asked you to make an offer so will take less. If you can DIY and it can be launched and ready to use, why not?
But if is as is, walk away, there is a hidden expense about to jump out at you.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:07 AM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
The seller is open to offers but I don't know what to offer and he doesn't want to give me a price point to start from. I'm thinking $35,000 to 40,000. What say the members?
Don't fall into the "Make an offer" trap. Have him give you a number. The boat probably isn't worth $5,000. You're ready to give him $40K, to which he would trip over himself to sell it to you.

You're emotions are well overshadowing your knowledge. Even if you got it for free, a minor refit will well exceed the vessels value. You will immediately be upside down in an effectively unsellable boat.

There is no such thing as a free boat. Even the disposal costs are higher than the value of the vessel. Don't pay him to take a liability off of his hands.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 11:10 AM   #14
Guru

Someone tried to give me a "free boat" last week as they were pulling it out of the water for the season. Looked like a 40' Silverton or similar. I politely declined. Someone else would be happy to lay down cash for that boat.
Old 10-01-2021, 11:46 AM   #15
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
I'll give you my $.02 as the owner of an old Hatteras that I've spent a lot of money refurbishing that I will never get back. I don't think that model and year is particularly desirable in the Hatteras world. Parts for those engines will be hard to find. The base boat may be OK, but unless this will be a long term hold for you, you will spend money on it that you'll never get back. Resale will be difficult even if the boat is restored. Sorry to be a grinch.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:53 PM   #16
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
maybe ask how does he want for this $1200 boat?
Old 10-01-2021, 01:11 PM   #17
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Charlie O wrote;
“Kinda two different boats, Don't the Willards have added ballast and is a full displacement boat, where as this boat is a planing hull although probably a bit underpowered to get up.

I’m guilty.
But it does elevate the example and perhaps some thinking.
I scaned the thread and found no mention that this is a FG boat. Small boats were plentiful in the 60’s but not so much for FG. HaHa maybe Hatt never built wood boats and I’m the only one not knowing it. But in the picture it really looks like a wood boat. I remember though that boatbuilders in the early FG days tried to make their noats look like wood boats. Willard went to some lengths to achieve that in the mid 70’s. And lastly the subject boat looks like it should be heavier. Definitely an opinion tho.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:28 PM   #18

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Kaniksu
Vessel Model: Roughwater 41
It may be a PNW thing but old maintained and not so maintained boats are bought and sold regularly and can be seen frequently on the water. I easily insured my old 1965 TollyCraft for liability with a phone call and nothing more. If you like it, lob him a number. If the seller feigns indignance remind him of the obsolescence of the engines and the older systems. Could be fantastic at the right price.
Kaniksu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 01:51 PM   #19
Guru

City: Boston Area
If the owner of the boat is also the owner of the boat yard it means he probably knows the value and also that he's not paying for storage which can help motivate a seller. If he's asking $9.5 and says "motivated seller....make offers" I'd probably offer him 5 and ask him to throw in some free storage, dockage or labor.....or something he can add that costs him little but is of value to you. Luckily the "fresher" engine was rebuilt 13 years ago.....so its got that going for it....which is nice...(obscure reference to Caddyshack)
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 03:12 PM   #20
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Built like a tank and well built are 2 totally different things.

Plus many offer up built like a tank" or "bulletproof" and the boat is no different than average if you have ever done serious work on them.

Even some battle tanks were rolling coffins.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote