What is hin code for Bristol ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sean2112

Hello , everyone !

I have run up on a problem. Attempting
to insure my 1977 Bristol trawler . I dug around
The yacht and found a registration from
1982 . The hin # was on it . It’s not correct
From what I have read , the first three letters are the boat mfg code . Does anyone know the code for Bristol trawler company ?
I have checked inside and out of boat , there are no markings on boat .

Thanks , for your time
Sean2112

There are 7 listings for Bristol boats. Need more info on the name of the company or the address of the company.

MIC Company Address City State
BAU BRISTOL BOAT COMPANY 71122 BURNSIDE ST. BRISTOL RI
BHX BRISTOL HARBOR BOATS 103 POPPASQUASH ROAD BRISTOL RI
BRJ BRISTOL BOATS AND FAB INC 2142 MANION DR WARRENTON OR
BTY CJ PEARSON CO C/O BRISTOL. 99 POPPASQUASH RD BRISTOL RI
BWW BRISTOL WOOD & FIBERGLASS INC 511 B HWY 98 E DESTIN FL
BXD BRISTOL BLUEWATER BTS 62 WATERVIEW AVE BRIDGEPORT CT
BXR BRISTOL ENTERPRISES RT 1 box 570. Lake Placid FL

I guess I should observe that you said that the boat is a "1977 Bristol trawler" here, and 42' in another post, and has twin Perkins 6.354 in a third post.

The only boat I know that meets those combined specs (year, name, type, engines) is a later 42' Bristol Offshore (Trawler), which was made by "BrisTol Yachts" of Rhode Island, which had the manufacturer code "BTY".

They made the boats initially in Rhode Island, then in India. The ones I've seen have been rock solid boats with solid fiberglass hulls, houses -- and decks. But, I think I've heard that some had more standard fiberglass/wood sandwich decks (but were still good boats). The one's I've seen have had Detroit 4-53 engines, but I understand later ones had, or had the option of having Perkins 6.354s.

Last edited:
Not sure why, but practice here is to conceal somewhere the second HIN inside the boat. Like the back of the electrical switchboard, or somewhere else equally obscure.

The purpose was to provide LE a means of identifying a stolen boat. I found the 2nd HIN on a previous boat when I pulled the engines, it was on the side of the stringer under the engine where it couldn’t be seen easily. LE could call the manufacturer and find out the location of the 2nd HIN. Unfortunately now many of the manufacturers have gone out of business and so the 2nd HIN doesn’t help.

Boat builders code

You guys are a lifesaver
The code for Bristol trawler is indeed
BTY. Thanks are definitely in order !!
Insurance and title are now clear
Y’all are definitely the best !
Much thanks,
Sean2112

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom