USCG Documentation vs. State Registration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well you sent the form in and placed the call so you tell us where you send the form and who you were talking to? :confused:

To the Document Center. The notice for CC authorization came from the Doc Center. I have thrown out the envelope or I would send you a picture.
Plus, they did not ask me to resend the doc form.

Remind me in about 2 weeks and I will determine for how long the certificate is good.

To the Document Center. The notice for CC authorization came from the Doc Center. I have thrown out the envelope or I would send you a picture.
Plus, they did not ask me to resend the doc form.

Remind me in about 2 weeks and I will determine for how long the certificate is good.

Ok but a simple check would be looking in your call history and seeing what phone # you called and whether it was the official USCG NVDC or some other company...

Ok but a simple check would be looking in your call history and seeing what phone # you called and whether it was the official USCG NVDC or some other company...

I used the number that was on the letter

I make and receive many calls each day

To the question of state registration in foreign countries. Depends on the country. Depends on the customs official. We had heard of issues but we did get to witness one in the Dominican Republic. The official was immediately suspicious of the registration as it didn't look legitimate, wasn't an official looking document. He was ready to tell them they had to leave. However, we had already cleared and tipped and I overheard it all and walked over with a Spanish speaker who was with us. She explained and spoke disparagingly of our system and the piece of paper and got him to laugh with her and then speak to his supervisor. He made a phone call and was told it was ok.

I've heard of it elsewhere in South America. The problem seems to arise when there is a language difference and the state registration looks so unofficial. We also were told to make sure if you're using registration, you travel with a copy of your title.

I have never heard of anyone arrested or turned away but all the stories I've heard have simply involved annoyance and inconvenience and sometimes a little cash. As you might imagine, Cuba sees Florida registrations regularly, but I heard of someone with a Rhode Island registration being delayed as the customs official said he'd never heard of that country. He apparently looked it up and then approved the entry.

I've never known anyone who cruised Europe or Africa or Asia on just a registration. Might be ok, but I wouldn't suggest it. Problem is registrations do not look like anything customs officials are use to.

Easy decision: if the state doesn't require registration if federally documented, go federal.

With 60, 90-day state registration requirements, it seems strange I've never observed multiple state-registration numbers on any boat.

Easy decision: if the state doesn't require registration if federally documented, go federal.

With 60, 90-day state registration requirements, it seems strange I've never observed multiple state-registration numbers on any boat.

I've known boats to be registered in multiple states in one year. They were documented so all they had to do was the sticker, no numbers.

i know many boats that have been registered in multiple states at the same time

it is usually just a sticker aka decal aka certificate of decal aka cruising permit

one additional thought: be careful whom you invite aboard if you document. My understanding is that if a guest happens to bring a federal illegal drug, like marijuana, and it is found during a Coast Guard search, your vessel can be confiscated but you still owe the bank. My boat is documented but I don't allow anything illegal aboard.

Totally false. Coast Guard enforces federal law. The fact that a vessel is federally documented or state registered is irrelevant.

Drugs onboard, your vessel is subject to seizure. Doesn't matter who owns the drugs, your guests or you.
You will be given the opportunity to bid on your boat when it is auctioned off, assuming you are not in jail.

My boat is documented. My dingy is state registered. My insurance company considers my dingy to be a boat and issues a policy for the dingy. I’ve never thought about the dingy when I go to Canada. What do people do when towing their fishing boat to the Bahamas?

My boat is documented. My dingy is state registered. My insurance company considers my dingy to be a boat and issues a policy for the dingy. I’ve never thought about the dingy when I go to Canada. What do people do when towing their fishing boat to the Bahamas?

The Bahamas are very familiar with US state registrations and have no problem whatsoever with them. They just want to collect their fee. They are less cordial with those who fail to promptly clear in.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom