USCG Documentation for US Permanent Residents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m10brink

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Seahorse
Vessel Make
OA 40 Europa
Hello, everyone!

I am working through the paperwork with our recent purchase of our boat and had a quick question regarding the USCG documents.

The boat is already USCG documented (lapsed, but that's another issue and one the CG website seems to address clearly), and I'm wondering if updating the documentation is advisable or even possible in our situation.

It appears that only US citizens can apply for documentation. Not a problem for me, but my husband is a permanent resident. His name is on the bill of sale for the boat, so I don't think I can just apply for documentation by myself. Or can I? (We'll not get into how he feels about having just my name on the documents, but we'll just say that he isn't interested in doing the whole citizenship switch to make some government paperwork easier.)

Has anyone been in this situation? How did it end up? Did you just remove the boat from documentation and only do the state registration instead?

Our long-term plans could include using/storing the boat up near his family in Ontario, so that's another angle we're considering as we're getting this figured out. Any advice is appreciated. :)

Since USCG documentation requires US Citizenship and one of the two parties on the Bill of Sale (BoS) is not a citizen I would assume the answer would be no.

The Documentation is basically your title. Since the state of Oregon titles vessels, you don't really need to have the vessel USCG documented unless you plan on travelling internationally. To my knowledge Canada does not require USCG documentation for 'international' travel.

Are you also on the bill of sale? My wife and I are both on the bill of sale but only my name appears on the doc.

Thank you for the replies!

@SailorGreg: Yep, I'm listed on the bill of sale. So, I think I'll try going this route and just listing myself on the documentation and see how it goes.

Our boat is documented instead of titled, but I do not think I can explain the benefits of one over the other. Anyone have a concise explanation?

We always document in my superior half's name but we both show up on the bill of sale, no problem. Makes it interesting in some countries where the captain is assumed to be the man in the house and the captain has to be the one on the documentation :)

-Sven

Our boat is documented instead of titled, but I do not think I can explain the benefits of one over the other. Anyone have a concise explanation?

1.For boats with a mortgage the lender will usually require it be documented if it is large enough. 2.The documentation is better proof of ownership in foreign countries. 3.And you don’t have to have state registration numbers on the side of the boat, actually the registration numbers are not allowed on documented boats.

If a documented vessel is seized by pirates, etc., the navy and marines can do what's necessary to rescue you and release your vessel. A state registered boat is a civil matter and goes thru the state department.

Our long-term plans could include using/storing the boat up near his family in Ontario, so that's another angle we're considering as we're getting this figured out. Any advice is appreciated. :)

That *might* influence whose name should go on the ownership record. I don't think there is any difference in registration vs documentation, but if the boat is owned by a Canadian resident there is 13% HST due on entry in Ontario. Probably this doesn't apply to you, but it's worth checking into. Having the boat owned by a US citizen will avoid that particular concern and scrutiny.

There is a big difference as stated. If you live in a state with no state registration and you default on the loan, it is harder for your lending institution to reposs the vessel. If it is documented, the bank has more leverage to take the boat back.

That *might* influence whose name should go on the ownership record. I don't think there is any difference in registration vs documentation, but if the boat is owned by a Canadian resident there is 13% HST due on entry in Ontario. Probably this doesn't apply to you, but it's worth checking into. Having the boat owned by a US citizen will avoid that particular concern and scrutiny.

However, if they decide to take up residence in Ontario, it may not matter who the boat is registered to. They'll need to declare the boat and pay the HST.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom