Trying to purchase a boat is a joke!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That should work well. You'll be there and you really do need to be there to do what you want to do.

Good luck on your new retirement adventure! I'm retired too and that's the only way my "Dream Catcher" happened. Yeah, if you don't have the scratch for a newer boat, then you better be handy eh?

That should work well. You'll be there and you really do need to be there to do what you want to do.

Good luck on your new retirement adventure! I'm retired too and that's the only way my "Dream Catcher" happened. Yeah, if you don't have the scratch for a newer boat, then you better be handy eh?

Yes sir, don’t have piles of cash, but I think it can be done. Selling the home and all the stuff Ive acquired over the years has taken longer than anticipated. Wife’s been real picky on a RV.

I’m used to being handy, preferring to do things myself. You can just about learn anything on YouTube. I don’t buy much of anything new(underware always, lol.) last new car I bought off the lot was back in 1976, just out of high school and single.

May have to go back to NewYork for a bit, as my mothers home, 83yrs old, needs some repairs. You can make plans but sometimes a wrench gets tossed in. Brother just retired as well, and he’s headed there and let me know if he needs help.

Anyway I’m rambling, seems I’m a bit long winded when I get jabbering

Be careful about many you tubes, especially improvement projects....the tubers sound like they know how to do it, but often use poor material for the job or need a few engineering/common sense courses.

This can be particularly true on boats stuff....now....did you watch the one where the guy filled the hollow of a perfectly good skiff with probably 50lbs of water absorbing foam (by drilling numerous holes plugged with plastic furniture caps) then said the boat floated better despite the foam having weight and was just inside the existing hull. :D

Learning how the experience goes here everyday, pretty much had my mind made up on the boat I thought would suit a liveaboard, on the hook lifestyle, GB36/42. My budget as I don’t want to go hog wild and and get in to deep, limited me to a woodie, which I don’t have a problem with. I’m retired, moving to a boat, so have plenty of time to work on it and make a nice Bristol boat. I know most any of um from watching now over a year and a half, just turned 65 this month and officially retired, need bottom paint, and this and that.

Plan has been when the boat is pulled out on lift during survey, would just put on the hard if hull is good and have paint done, any other bottom work, like new units for forward looking sonar, sea cocks if need and such. Really just looking for solid hull and good running engines. Interior I can repair myself, install electronics I can do, woodworking I can do as well.

And yes I know I will have to hire a captain for training, all in the budget.

I have lots of skills, not much of a pro at some of um but have been an electricians helper pulling wire, roughing in homes as well as plumbing. 11 years as a electronic warfare tech, 20 years running heavy equipment, 6-7 yrs as carpenter building custom homes, some custom cabinet work. Built and designed my own home.

I’m selling everything to move to a coastal cruiser that I can run up and down the inside passage. When I gain confidence I’ll give a cruise to Alaska and Mexico a try.

Fishing is one of my favorite hobbies, and look forward to catching the biggest fish of my life, prolly only take one salmon or halibut to accomplish that.

Can’t imagine anything much more exciting then living out the rest of my days on the sea, zero experience, but excited to go, and not scared at all.

Just about ready to head to Seattle and start touring some boats that I have bookmarked if still around at the time. Been a pain trying to get rid of a life’s worth of stuff, lol. Still a few items to sell off.

Made a few offers on RV for the wife, will need to spend a bit of time getting her squared away and then I’m off to the pnw.

Please do not take offense to this word of caution but I honestly think you are setting yourself up for failure. There is nothing inherently wrong with wooden hulls, but they do require special care. Buying one because it is a lower initially investment cost is akin to buying an old European luxury car because it seemed like a great value, the total cost of ownership needs to be taken into account and someone new to boat ownership is not is a great position to forecast this cost of ownership.

Cost of ownership increases exponentially with vessel size, not linearly. I really think you would be better off to buy a smaller and newer boat. Carefully price out everything that you plan to replace and upgrade on a boat prior to commiting yourself. Without labor, the cost of parts and materials will probably surprise a new boat owner, the best way to avoid these expenses is buying a boat that doest not require repairs and updates. The next best way to avoid these expenses is buying a smaller and less complex boat. For example, modernizing the marine sanitation system for a single head can easily cost $2.5k to $3.5k, a boat with two old heads would double this cost, a boat with a functioning modern system won't require you to do anything other than keep up with maintenance.

Find some blogs where a new boat owner has brought up an 50 year old boat up to speed, find a really detailed one that showes all the materials and parts used, then price them out. This will give you a better understanding of budgets. Also, call around to boat yards, price out hauling and storage for 3 months, the likelihood of spending a significant amount of time in dry-dock for a new-to-you boat, old boat is probably greater than 50%. The project will be a adventure if you have budgeted for it but a nightmare if you have not.

The reason there is a similarity in the way things go when buying larger boats worth say more than 50-75K, is because it has evolved into a popular dance between buyers/sellers/brokers that IS comfortable in some ways to all.
Agreed. It's not necessarily the best, most efficient, or economical method. But it is effective. And the whole industry that has evolved around it (and making money from it) isn't going to let it change anytime soon.

Cost of ownership increases exponentially with vessel size, not linearly. I really think you would be better off to buy a smaller and newer boat.

You read this a lot on forums. But I have kept pretty good records of what it has cost my wife and I to live and cruise full time the last 7 years on our 41' boat. I did an analysis of how much less it would have cost to have been on a 30' boat instead and it worked out to a savings of 3-5% of TOTAL includes everything costs. So yes it costs more in boat cost, but not a killer in the total big picture. The increases definitely are near linear and not exponential Meanwhile the comfort etc. of a 41' boat over a 30' boat is priceless.

So I say get the largest boat needed to be comfortable on. The sweetness of the lower costs of a small boat quickly scours with the everyday hate of a too small boat.

You read this a lot on forums. But I have kept pretty good records of what it has cost my wife and I to live and cruise full time the last 7 years on our 41' boat. I did an analysis of how much less it would have cost to have been on a 30' boat instead and it worked out to a savings of 3-5% of TOTAL includes everything costs. So yes it costs more in boat cost, but not a killer in the total big picture. The increases definitely are near linear and not exponential Meanwhile the comfort etc. of a 41' boat over a 30' boat is priceless.

So I say get the largest boat needed to be comfortable on. The sweetness of the lower costs of a small boat quickly scours with the everyday hate of a too small boat.

I’ll be cruising with my son, I would like two separate staterooms, what I like about the GB classics is the separation of the cabins, fore and aft. I like the saloon with port side settee, would prefer Lehman engines due to th ease of maintenance, I don’t care much for a lot of the Taiwanese trawlers that have the galley down the entire side of the saloon. I’d be stoked if I could aquire a 42, but think we can live with a 36.

I have been pondering this move for almost 10 yrs now, has taken that long to get the wife motivated, she’s retired now as well. Been watching boat sales, following others, and reading/watching everything I can on living on a trawler the past two years. I think I have a handle on costs and such. I’ve set the budget with the idea of having the bottom painted if it hasn’t been done in the last year, new electronics, and upgrading tankage for living on the hook if need be, and a water maker. I’m thinking purchase of boat and then another 20-25k on upgrades and repairs. I’m not going to buy a wood boat with hull problems, soft decks I can fix myself, sanding painting varnish easy.

I’m really not that worried about a older boat that needs manual work, when your living on the hook I think there’s plenty of time to work on the boat, cleaning engine room, sanding, painting and such. I see it done by many.

Lots of things can be done that you don’t have to be on the hard or tied to a dock. Tight hull good running engines, everything else can come in time. I’m one of those guys that say, the stove does not work, just use the bbq. The toilet quit, use a bucket and so on. You just adapt and move on. I’ll have a decent chunk back in the bank, monthly pension, and we will be eating off the sea and coastal forests.

I know you’re all thinking this guys a fool, but there’s plenty to eat in the ocean, and I’m good at foraging.

My major costs per month will be insurance, fuel, and internet. We won’t be cruising everyday, cruise to a spot, and stay for a bit exploring the area. Stay out of marinas. You’re all saying again, yeah right, but I’m used to having much of nothing, never have I lived in the lap of luxury.

The dream was to live on the beach when retired, being around the sea. Cost of a home on the beach is outta the question, boat I think will be even better as I can move around to any beach I want, as well as those long inlets on the BC coast.

Roll outta bed and step out onto the cockpit with coffee looking across the water and the mountains, waterfalls. It’s worth a bit of suffering

What killed my 10 years living aboard on my 3rd liveaboar was keeping up with an old boat. Didn't go that way with the 1st 2.

Keeping up with the maintenance instead of the fun of boating, fishing etc with friends.

Keep that in mind, romance has to be kept up. Woman or boat.

If your a big guy or the family is, you should go with a 42. If your average size a 36 will work.

With GBs, the 36 Europa has less room than 36 Classic, and a 42 Classic 40% more than a 36C.

A 36C is findable with a single Lehman, and there is plenty of room to work. The pricing on 36Cs is all over the place. The older the more work typically, unless under cover.

A single Lehman is very cheap to operate and maintain. The 135 preferred over the 120. Two of anything is not just twice as much cost, it's twice as much work. A real pain if both need massive repairs at the same time.

If you don't want a Bristol boat then the rest is what breaks and you can live with. But be aware, no one wants to use a bucket for long, and then the whole plan starts to derail.

I would not consider a wood boat even if <$20k and perfect. Just no upside. Would you buy a car that requires twice as much maintenance and is gauranteed to lose money? When decide to sell you may not be able to give it away, and you are going to sink some money in it. A bad investment on top of questionable investment.

I spend $1k/ month on just dockage, power, and insurance.
Most of the work I do myself, but as you get older it is much harder. Just looking at a boat causes something to fail. $25k first year no matter what.

Not trying to bust your bubble. Buy the best boat you can afford. I agree with you, don't worry about interior coverings and woodwork. They are relatively high labor low cost. Focus on mechanicals. Get a pampered boat and spend a month going through it. Make a few trips to really test things. Then prioritize your list and go to work.

Go to my blog, grandbankschoices, and see what we have done with a 36 Europa. It is a labor of love, and you need to be able to get away. Working where you live is like living in a burned out house, no fun.

Personally, living even by myself on a 36 is marginal if no dirt storage is used and even then, useless for stuff needed on cruises. Add a person and their needs and 36 is definitely too small if you have hobby stuff and miscellaneous items kept aboard full time.

Thats why many liveaboard of smaller vessels wind up with cluttered boats, docks and sometimes marina parking lots. Not all, but most will fid a 36 gets small after awhile of living aboard with normal "stuff". Plus things like fridges and galleys are often smaller without much food storage.

I also disagree that 135 Lehmans are preferred over the 120. When I discussed my 120/135 hybrid but finally found out the block was a 120, American Diesels said good, more parts so I am not sure why the 135 is "preferred". This may have changed since that discussion but worth some investigation.

My budget as I don’t want to go hog wild and and get in to deep, limited me to a woodie, which I don’t have a problem with.

There are several recent threads around here on boats with wood hulls, in case you haven't read those.

Not meaning to try to scare you off.

Just that honest assessment before purchase will be especially important on an older boat. Wood, fiberglass, steel, whatever.

And there will likely be issues the marine surveyor either doesn't completely test for, or doesn't discover at all. And there could also be some immediate failures just after purchase, simply because age happens.

Wishing you best success!

-Chris

Yes sir I have a few times, and can say that broker has always gotten back to me. It’s on my list to look at, prolly first one I go see.

That boat has been for sale now almost two years, when first listed it had dry rot in the forward starboard side. He had posted pics of the open hull for like two days and pulled um. So pretty sure that part has been repaired. Which makes you wonder about the bottom.

Think price started out at 59k and has continued to drop. Give a left nut for an Alaskan, second favorite GB behind the 70s GB50, love those GB50 steamship looking boats, and layout is perfect liveaboard.

Engine room is looking neglected on her, I don’t sweat the 8500 hrs as I ran heavy equipment for 22 yrs, and we have fired up dozers that have been sitting 20yrs in a field, old iron just goes and goes. Cat diesels are amazing.

Needs a head installed, it’s in the boat, but think a new fancy would be in order since it’s out. Lots of interior work needed but that can be done as we cruise, would be perfect for me, as the cabin top has all the room a guy needs for toys, traps and so on.

But yeah it’s high on the list, been around a bit so thinking can score her for less than asking.

I look at three different online boat sale sites, entire west coast on Craigslist, dealers in the PNW every morning and evening. I search GBs, and diesel boats when looking.

There’s a glass Gb36 around the pnw now for 54k, boat was for sale last year, the guy that bought it wanted to do the inside passage, he accomplished that and it’s now for sale again.

Keep pretty close eye on what’s out there, even look at floridas Craigslist now and again, just not interested in the gulf or Bahamas myself. Mainly to see prices and comparisons.

Thanks for taking the time to post her up, pretty cool others help in your search

Last edited:
Personally, living even by myself on a 36 is marginal if no dirt storage is used and even then, useless for stuff needed on cruises. Add a person and their needs and 36 is definitely too small if you have hobby stuff and miscellaneous items kept aboard full time.

As a guy with a smallish 36-footer (certainly smaller than your Albin), I wholeheartedly agree. Really forces hard choices. I use that as a benefit though to keep the clutter down. But I gotta say - when I hear the spare parts SlowGoesIt is carrying, I sure get jealous.....

Peter

I knew it has been for sale for a while. I didn't realize it was same one that showed the planks missing.

My only regret is not offering less, I am happy with what we paid, but he didn't even counter.

As a guy with a smallish 36-footer (certainly smaller than your Albin), I wholeheartedly agree. Really forces hard choices. I use that as a benefit though to keep the clutter down. But I gotta say - when I hear the spare parts SlowGoesIt is carrying, I sure get jealous.....

Peter

Just some of the stuff besides spare parts that I couldn't (didn't want to) keep ashore....

Lots of fishing tackle (saly, fresh, fly w/ waders/boots
Tools many here would not think of to keep aboard (for traveling
liveaboard pretty invaluable)....
Hooka rig with pancake compressor and wet suit(s)
Bits of memorabilia
Certain boating books and reference materials
3 3ring binders to organize manuals and maintenence items
A rubermaid container with valuable collectables
Movie and audio collection...though now could be digital.
Dingy accesories
Lots of life Jackets (from infant sizes to extra adult) Spring and Fall clothes... some Winter stuff but just for parts of NJ Winter

and other stuff that comes aboard eventually like kitchen appliances when one tires of the basics, store consumables, etc....etc...

It adds up fast and I am pretty good at finding "xtra" room compared to many from years of living on boats and USCG cutters.

It still get to the point before anything new that comes would get me thinking...now what come off....

Last edited:
It still get to the point before anything new that comes would get me thinking...now what come off....

When I first met my other half 28-years ago, I was living aboard my Willard 30 which is a small 30-footer. She loves to tell people about the time I purchased a new set of Levis and threw-out an old set to make room.

I have a small cabin in the mountains of Colorado where my momentos are stored. But still, getting ready for a long distance cruise is tough. But I keep telling myself that no matter how large the boat, the stowage would always end up full. I used to watch some of the barebones YouTube sailing couples and marvel at the stuff they hauled with them.

Should be interesting. We are still targeting Halloween departure with the Baja Ha Ha fleet.....

Peter

That boat has been for sale now almost two years, when first listed it had dry rot in the forward starboard side. He had posted pics of the open hull for like two days and pulled um. So pretty sure that part has been repaired. Which makes you wonder about the bottom.

I take it that's a wood hull?

Speaking of wood, our yard is restoring an old Chesapeake Bay "buy boat." I think it's in the neighborhood of 60' or so.

(CBBA) Chesapeake Bay Buyboat Association

This is the one:
Chesapeake Bay Oyster Buyboat

They had it in and hauled for a while last Summer, then it was gone for a while, then back here and on blocks with the hull tented over this last Winter. Work going on ever since they hauled it. Replanking the starboard side, at least, not sure how much framing they're having to deal with, or what other stuff they're doing.

Note she looks pretty good in that pic, and that was taken before all the work over this last Winter.

The story I've heard is that they're going to finish up the starboard side "this Summer" (sometime), launch it, and then the owner will bring it back in late Fall/early winter so they can do the other side of the hull.

We're in a yard that has a boat building history tracing back to 1865, so there's apparently no lack of skill or familiarity with wood boats.

Just takes time, equipment, parts, skill, and money. In this case, "labor hours" seems to be some number approaching "all of December 22 through July 23."

-Chris

Last edited:
It is easy once you come to understand that mementos that you never see or use is just useless "stuff". Everything my wife and I own is on the boat except for 1 box of mostly photos.

Like Jack Reacher, you can pear down to the clothes on your back and some cash in your pocket and the rest is useless...but many people have a hard time getting below a foot locker or so of stuff that remains important until the kids realize that is your life boiled down to that much and they want a few mementos. Most people can't get rid of about 1000 square feet of stuff, let alone down to a foot locker.

No absolutes but before selling everything and moving aboard to a dream....some of us have done it several times and is worth thinking about it before buying into the "buy the smallest boat that meets your needs" idea as most people wind up settling for smaller than they really need as they drank the internet Kool Aide of well intentioned but poorly informed/experienced.

Speaking of woodies, I've been browsing this one -- love the looks of it, and I don't mind an older boat generally, or a woodie, but some (although not all) of the engine room photos look scary, and some of the electronics, controls and gauges are burst-out-laughing ancient. And the photo of the wood around the rudder pintle looks bad. And it's on the East Coast. But I sure like the looks of those old Grand Bank Alaskans. Classic. Could maybe to do "The Big U" in a boat like that.

https://www.popsells.com/trawlers-for-sale/grand-banks-alaskan-53-in-lancaster-virginia-331411

While I respect your intention, expecting the engines to be started (or anything turned on) is not customary until sea trial. Private sales may proceed differently, but the owner would normally be representing the boat. Many boats have somewhat unusual starting sequences such as setting battery switches, seacocks, etc. Unless hired to do so, I would not be comfortable starting someone else's engine(s).

Peter

That's my feeling as well. I would not want my boat started, or anything on it used other than turning on lights to see everything. Even then, I've seen stuff get left on. Everything can be run as part of a sea trial, with a competent operator who can confidently run the boat.

There's another aspect to this which is "can we come to a deal". Initially there is a lot of info for a buyer to gather about a boat to understand what it is, and whether it's a good fit for them, and the seller needs to oblige. But hanging over the whole initial process is the question of whether the seller and buyer can come to a deal. Is the buyer even serious? Are they financially able to buy, or is it just wishful thinking? Are they just looking for a bargain and going to make an offer that shows you will never come to terms? Will they insist on conditions that are not acceptable? Nobody wants to put a ton of time into a deal that will never happen, so there is an ongoing assessment by the seller of the buyer and the potential for reaching a deal. Navigating this is the art of selling and buying.

This is all a long way of saying that certain things like running the boat or it's equipment is, for me, something that only happens once you have reached a deal.

Peter

Heh, I actually got rid of something yesterday. Well, I put it in box to get rid of anyway. Probably two days from now . . . . . yeah, I'll take it off the boat then . . .

That 53 Grand Banks Alaskan looks interesting, but the info on it is pretty questionable. Like Designer listed as "Doris". . . . If a Grand Banks Alaskan, I believe the designer would be Art Defever, but I'm sure PopYachts knows more about it than I do. :whistling:

"Bottom Width", whatever that is listed as "180"
Maximum Draft is listed as 62' 5" Yeah, I'm pretty sure that isn't right . . . :nonono:
Displacement is listed as "7288" . . . . . . not sure what they mean by that . . .

Fuel listed as only 454 gallons . . ., maybe that's what the tanks that don't leak hold, but pretty sure that that boat originally came with at least 900 gallons of fuel . . . .

It's a typical PopYachts ad. Lots of incorrect/conflicting information, broker couldn't be bothered to get the right information on the ad. Probably not too knowledgeable about the boat on the phone either . . . .

:popcorn:
Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:
https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/boa/d/lake-oswego-1974-grand-banks-alaskan-45/7637879877.html

Just needs a couple of planks and ready to go. I probably wouldn't offer more than the value of the jack stands though.

Have you considered ex-commercial boats?

https://www.pacificboatbrokers.com/used-boats-for-sale/PW5812/nakade-cruiser-trawler-live-aboard.asp

Some of the already converted ones are interesting to me.

Yep seen that one, better off cost wise to just buy the 240k one down in La Paz, lol

I’ve followed some of the refitted commercial boats, just haven’t seen one that moves me.

Back
Top Bottom