Trying to purchase a boat is a joke!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree. Not starting the engines just so you can see if they start.

Make an offer, then we'll talk about starting the engines.

I completely agree there are a multitude of things that go into evaluating the "seriousness" of a buyer... including the type of boat. And I'm also aware that my attitude may change when I'm selling (and that this is a chicken or egg situation LOL!). But when my wife and I take off work (and drive 3 hours each way) to see a boat because the broker is not available on weekends... well... I was surprised. As I said... in the past I've confirmed ahead of time and not had an issue. My bad for not asking.

Last edited:
I used to hear "can`t start engines" years ago but in recent years that reluctance seems to have disappeared, and so it should. I`d like a cursory knowledge of engines running as part of willingness to put an offer.
Selling the last boat the broker came by boat and drove it to his premises, 1.5 hours away. Placing a car both ends would have been a major exercise. I needed it gone, the replacement was arriving. The broker, who does some broking as a sideline to a busy shipwright business, is surely competent to start engines. Proud of how well they ran, I wanted a potential buyer to hear them. But I accept it relies on an assessment of the broker.

We sold our 440 OA a few weeks ago. The broker was absolutely pathetic over the previous five months. To his chagrin I finally told him that I wanted contact info for every subsequent potential buyer. The delightful couple who eventually bought the boat were relieved...no, overjoyed...that I contacted them. They despised the broker as much as we did. Together we conspired to cut the broker out of all interim discussions. The deal was closed in a week. That said, both the seller and buyer had to kick the broker's ass to get the paperwork done. Of course, the no-load still took his 10 percent cut. If you're a seller, do everything you can to avoid these snakes. Most motivated sellers are happy to talk with buyers directly.

Last edited:
I used to hear "can`t start engines" years ago but in recent years that reluctance seems to have disappeared, and so it should. I`d like a cursory knowledge of engines running as part of willingness to put an offer.
Selling the last boat the broker came by boat and drove it to his premises, 1.5 hours away. Placing a car both ends would have been a major exercise. I needed it gone, the replacement was arriving. The broker, who does some broking as a sideline to a busy shipwright business, is surely competent to start engines. Proud of how well they ran, I wanted a potential buyer to hear them. But I accept it relies on an assessment of the broker.

Yeah, my broker too. The seller moved halfway across the country when the boat was listed and the broker moved it 30 miles to his sales dock. I believed him when he said the engines ran good.

You want to hear the engines run? How about a boat ride too? That sound good?

Great. Make an offer and you can hear the engines run and go for a boat ride. It's called a sea trial and commences after the offer.

Start the engines and then shut em down after 5 minutes for every inquiry? Doesn't sound good for the engines.

As I said, it depends on an assessment of the broker. A competent one isn`t going to be silly showing the boat, incl running engines.

Of course a seller is entitled to forbid "starting engines". Is it wise? Views differ.

I would trust my broker to make this judgement call because I know him.

I have to add that he didn't start the engines for me either, but I did not ask.

He did explain the whole process in great detail though and all the various escape points.

Buying a brokered boat is not like buying an outboard on a trailer off Craig's list.

I had to reach out to a broker 4 times before my wife and I could see a boat. Sometimes it takes persistence. When we did get on the boat... the broker would not start the engine for "liability" reasons. I've seen many boats on this search... mostly owners... and they are more than willing to start the engine AND bump it into gear (just to see some prop wash). Next time I will confirm that's possible before making the drive.
While I respect your intention, expecting the engines to be started (or anything turned on) is not customary until sea trial. Private sales may proceed differently, but the owner would normally be representing the boat. Many boats have somewhat unusual starting sequences such as setting battery switches, seacocks, etc. Unless hired to do so, I would not be comfortable starting someone else's engine(s).

Peter

I had to reach out to a broker 4 times before my wife and I could see a boat. Sometimes it takes persistence. When we did get on the boat... the broker would not start the engine for "liability" reasons. I've seen many boats on this search... mostly owners... and they are more than willing to start the engine AND bump it into gear (just to see some prop wash). Next time I will confirm that's possible before making the drive.

I think you hit the key point in your last sentence.

I understand some of the conventional limitations of buying through a broker (private sale practices are varied and can be all over the map).
They may/ may not even show it w/o an offer.
Certainly no survey, sea trial, start run w/o a written & accepted offer
Owner/seller only present for sea trial and that's when eng (sometimes gen) started & run.

When I was looking at current Bacchus it required flying in and I wanted to do everything necessary in one trip. I wanted 3 days to do a complete inspection and DIY survey of the boat & all systems. It required a detailed discussion between my buyer broker & selling broker do work out details and who would be in attendance. The key was prior discussion re: expectations & requirements.
A written & accepted offer was in place and I was given the 3 days to inspect w/ right to then decide on survey or not. Sea trial & haul out followed the inspection.
Communication ahead of time was the key.
I will admit my experience was a different environment than recent boat buying environment as the seller had it listed for an extended time and had no serious buyers so all parties willing to discuss what was required to make a sale.

We are soon listing our boat for sale. And you can count me as a firm seller.

I will have to show the boat due to location, it is couple hours from boating life, up a river under cover.

If a serious buyer comes that has done diligence, maybe we will go for a boat ride, maybe not.

The engine will not be run "on the wall" under my ownership, period.

If they have read my blog the questions will go quickly. If they haven't that tells me a lot, I may not even show it.

I think the market has flattened out and a lot of newer broker's will disappear to new jobs. The nice boats will hold their value, while others are starting to stall. You can see it happening now.

The buyer/seller ratio has stayed the same, but there are much less of each.

Let me add an exception to this. Driving 3 hours to see a boat does show some commitment. Asking the broker to commit to a cold engine start before making a 3 hour drive is not automatically bad form. This gives the broker a chance to arrange it with the seller.

You might not get the requested start but it is ok to ask before making a firm appointment.

If you are looking at nice boats you really should not worry about starting the engines. All this and more will be covered in survey and sea trial.

If you are looking at anything listed as TLC or project then absolutely insist on a cold engine start before surveying.

Hi All -

I did not intend to start a "Single vs. Twins" level debate! LOL! Side note... when it comes to single engine vs twin engines... the "correct" answer is... (NOPE... not going to go there! LOL! :)

My point was simply to encourage buyers to not get discouraged by unresponsive brokers. If there is a boat you want to see... keep reaching out... eventually you might get a response. Of course... do not stop looking and just hope for a response. As a wise person told me "boats are like busses... there's always another one coming down the street." As for if you want to see/hear an engine run... a wise person told me "if you don't ask... the answer is always no." :)

As for sellers... the same truths apply; i.e. there's always another buyer "coming down the street." and if someone askes to hear the engine run... "nope" is just as valid as yes. But, please, don't take offense.

Side note - I remember one owner who was very happy to start the engine for me. And as I was leaving... he started preparing to flush both the generator and engine with fresh water. I offered to help and he simply said, "no worries... it's easy and it's what I do after running them." I knew then and there it was a very well taken care of engine! We came very close to a deal... just not quite connecting. I congratulated him when he sold a couple of months later. :)

I wish all buyers and sellers all the best! (Remember... every buyer eventually becomes a seller! LOL!)

Have a Great (and safe) Independence Celebration to everyone!

Peace,
Pete

I certainly wouldn't make an offer on a used boat without first hearing the engines run.

How many people here would make an offer on a used car without starting the engine? A boat can be 10 or 20 times more expensive, with commensurately higher stakes and costs if there's an engine problem.

Yes, there are outs if one makes an offer and the boat then later shows to have issues (upon survey, etc.). But I for one wouldn't go through all the effort of making an offer, which usually involves a deposit, on a used boat unless I've heard it run first. Of course with the owner's and broker's permission, their supervision, under appropriate conditions (no stuff leaning against engine), etc.

Your mileage may vary.

Buying a used car doesn't typically involve multiple layers of inspection with multiple experts. It's a much different process and not really analogous to me.

Offer-wise, I actually think finding a defect pre-offer works against you. I think it better to assume the boat is as disclosed on paper and make the offer accordingly. With a broker, the deposit is in escrow and the buyer has very generous rights to walk away for any reason. That's when you have leverage, not pre-offer.

Anyone can be a pain-in-the-tooshie. Buyer or seller. Whether you're a buyer or a seller, you want to keep the table level and the other party interested, perhaps with a bit of leverage in your favor. Asserting a leverage play before the other party is vested in the transaction is a sure fire way to have no boat.

That said, Tiltrider describes a situation - where buyer is coming from a distance - where it's in everyones interest to make some adjustments. The buyer has already demonstrated above average interest - the goal is to develop sales momentum.

Peter

Last edited:
I certainly wouldn't make an offer on a used boat without first hearing the engines run.

How many people here would make an offer on a used car without starting the engine? A boat can be 10 or 20 times more expensive, with commensurately higher stakes and costs if there's an engine problem.

Your mileage may vary.

Sounds good on paper, but the market has been in charge of all that these last couple years. Might be slightly slower now, but there was a time recently when your offer on paper on a boat that was listed within the last hour... might only barely beat the "it's already sold" sign... if it even did that.

And in general, custom seems to be "make your offer and if we can agree on basics, we'll sort out details afterwards." There are several ways to do that and still not spend any money at all, and to not waste much time either.

FWIW, to the larger question, I'm OK with starting my engines for a prospective buyer. Because I know the boat, and how I left it last time I was there. I'm not OK with some random broker who may or may not have clue doing that without my specific approval, per instance. And maybe not even then.

-Chris

I have only brought 2 boats and both were New England in the winter. On my current boat the first time I heard the engine run was the day it went into the water and I came to take it away from the dock.

BUT I currently am in Florida and if I drive 4-8 hours to look at a boat in the water I will expect the engines to be run. I have been looking online at boats and in the pictures of the ones I have flagged some of the engines the filters have a date on them from years ago. Maybe if 1 is truly in the lead as possible boats I will change my mind, but if the boat has been for sale a while ............

Yes, there are outs if one makes an offer and the boat then later shows to have issues (upon survey, etc.). But I for one wouldn't go through all the effort of making an offer, which usually involves a deposit, on a used boat unless I've heard it run first. Of course with the owner's and broker's permission, their supervision, under appropriate conditions (no stuff leaning against engine), etc.

Your mileage may vary.

My mileage differs by a solar system.

There seems to be no "canned" procedure anyhow.

Look at how many different experiences are constantly popping up here and other sites.

Even buyers like me know when a boat is worth pursuing without me hearing the engines... if real expensive...a lot more than a simple test drive or hearing them needs to evaluate whether they are worth it or not.

Many boats if the engines are questionable, make and offer with the caveat that the price will be reduced accordingly...either fixed or replaced.

I haven't bought a boat out of my last 4 that I didn't expect to replace the or at least one engine shortly after purchase...and I paid accordingly.

Seems that hearing engines comes in a bit down the process, exactly where depends, not sure why some don't see it as SOP for boat buying.

Last edited:
I have never even asked that the engines be started before I make an offer. The offer will have the standard escape clauses for me, survey, sea trial, insurance and possibly financing. The sea trial is when I expect to see the engines run.

Yeah, buying a boat isnt what I’m used to when purchasing cars, trucks, or toys.

When I’d look at aforementioned items, of course I want to hear um run, let alone drive um. Higher end items I get a mechanic to do compression tests and look the item over.

Why would an owner of a boat not want to start it and fire off systems so a prospective buyer has some idea of the shape it’s in. Just seems awful sketchy to me, like sellers are trying to hide something.

I’d be pretty bent if I made an offer on a boat and the thing didn’t even start, and then they want deposit with offer, just does not make sense.

Personally I want to know long before surveys what basic shape the boat is in, ya can’t start the engines, ya have no idea what works and doesn’t. If it runs like crap, items aren’t working I wouldn’t bother with an offer.

You say you do t want to start engines cause of wear starting multiple times, or your worried about lookyloos, wasting time answering questions and all your time spent, what about my time, driving, flying, and everything else associated with going to look at um. As a seller, part of selling IS dealing with answering questions even from lookyloos.

At this point I’m half scared to even buy a boat, for fear of getting had. Brokers sound crooked as all get out, and sellers are just looking to dump there boat right about time it needs bottom paint or other maintenance there not wanting to do, let alone get rid of the slip payment. I can’t believe how many boats don’t even have recent pics, they’re posting pics of the boat when it was looking good.

One GB I looked at, had twin engines, but the interior pics only showed a single engine/ trans controls, had asked about it and no response, lol. Jinky to say the least.

Yeah, buying a boat isnt what I’m used to when purchasing cars, trucks, or toys.

When I’d look at aforementioned items, of course I want to hear um run, let alone drive um. Higher end items I get a mechanic to do compression tests and look the item over.

Why would an owner of a boat not want to start it and fire off systems so a prospective buyer has some idea of the shape it’s in. Just seems awful sketchy to me, like sellers are trying to hide something.

I’d be pretty bent if I made an offer on a boat and the thing didn’t even start, and then they want deposit with offer, just does not make sense.

Cars and truck don't have seacocks.

Owner of a boat doing the engine starting is different from a broker -- random stranger off the street -- trying the starting.

In our experience the offer on paper has only been accompanied by a notional deposit... and the real deposit wasn't actually transmitted until after offer acceptance. Deposit went into escrow controlled by our buyer's broker. Stopping the deal only took an email or a phone call.

In our last case, we didn't want to travel 1000 miles to do our own pre-purchase inspection and to hear an engine start... when we could just as easily do the same thing once we had a deal. We could have bagged the deal before traveling, or after traveling but not yet surveying/sea trial, etc.

This last time, during the 2021 time-frame when boats were sold before they were being listed... so that influenced our process too...

-Chris

I probably wouldn't let my broker start my boat engine whether there was a contract or not. He's certainly not going to accept the liability if something bad happens, like a closed seacock. That said, if someone is coming from a great distance, I would certainly make myself available. If you're driving 3 hours or flying in, that probably raises the potential commitment level.

Ted

Cars are really standard. Get in them, turn the key, put it in drive. Away you go. Starting sequence with boats varies widely. Some boats are setup to run generators full-time and owner often starts them first. Not all electrical panels are created equal. Battery switches maybe turned OFF and possibly fry an alternator. I recently helped a friend pickup his boat from the yard after a bottom job - it wouldn't start and took 10-minutes to figure out a workman had turned off a hidden battery switch to the main panel. Another friend with a boat behind his house was away on vacation and a worker accidentally knocked his shore power cord out of place. Took his batteries to dead and he ended up replacing several at a very high cost. There are dozens of legitimate reasons a boat may not start or should not be attempted to be started without knowledge of the specific sequence.

Now, if you're looking at a project boat, well, all bets are off - don't blame anyone for wanting to sample the goods before proceeding. But for boats in decent condition, I'm with Comodave - wait until sea trial. There are so many things to consider whether to proceed with an offer. Even just starting the engine only gives very limited information about the drive train. Doesn't tell you if it overheats at WOT. Doesn't tell you if alignment is good. Doesn't tell you if stuffing box is proper. DOesn't tell you if Turbo is working. Doesn't tell you if transmission is good. Starting an engine tells you if it will start and if it smokes. Maybe 3% of what you want to know about an engine/gear/shaft/generator.

Honestly, unless I were there and liked the buyer, I'd politely tell them to piss-off. I don't see doing a deal together. Might as well cut our losses early with a handshake. Only gets worse from there.

Frankly, this part of this thread is a good one to bookmark when the topic of "Who needs brokers??" pops up. This is the type of BS good brokers navigate everyday to keep a deal from falling apart. I'm a fan of good brokers.

Peter

Last edited:

Personally I want to know long before surveys what basic shape the boat is in, ya can’t start the engines, ya have no idea what works and doesn’t. If it runs like crap, items aren’t working I wouldn’t bother with an offer.

You say you do t want to start engines cause of wear starting multiple times, or your worried about lookyloos, wasting time answering questions and all your time spent, what about my time, driving, flying, and everything else associated with going to look at um. As a seller, part of selling IS dealing with answering questions even from lookyloos.

At this point I’m half scared to even buy a boat, for fear of getting had. Brokers sound crooked as all get out, and sellers are just looking to dump there boat right about time it needs bottom paint or other maintenance there not wanting to do, let alone get rid of the slip payment. I can’t believe how many boats don’t even have recent pics, they’re posting pics of the boat when it was looking good.

One GB I looked at, had twin engines, but the interior pics only showed a single engine/ trans controls, had asked about it and no response, lol. Jinky to say the least.

Based on this post, I gotta ask..... How much experience do you have in the boating community? Have you ever lived aboard? How many big boats have you purchased? How many boat broker friends do you have?

Unless the answers are lots, lots, lots and lots..... not seeing just how many lookyloos and borderline criminals that boat shop regularly I can understand. My last boat I never bothered to advertise because on the huge amount of chuckleheads out there. Fortunately I came to a happy deal with one of the 3 that jumped at buying and.... when some people go out of their way to come see that boat and after a few minutes you can tell they are interested, starting the engines is no big deal when your asking price is low enough to allow the potential buyer enough room to replace it/them anyway. All part of the knowing the experience.

Last edited:
Based on this post, I gotta ask..... How much experience do you have in the boating community? Have you ever lived aboard? How many big boats have you purchased? How many boat broker friends do you have?

Unless the answers are lots, lots, lots and lots..... not seeing just how many lookyloos and borderline criminals that boat shop regularly I can understand. My last boat I never bothered to advertise because on the huge amount of chuckleheads out there. Fortunately I came to a happy deal with one of the 3 that jumped at buying and.... when some people go out of their way to come see that boat and after a few minutes you can tell they are interested, starting the engines is no big when your asking price is low enough to allow the potential buyer enough room to replace it/them anyway. All part of the knowing the experience.

My experience is on lakes, I’ve owned a 16ft Baja with 100hp evinrude, and a 29ft dayruiser with a twin turbo, meth injected, 454, jet drive with droop snoot. 30 yrs ago. Never wrecked either, never had a problem docking the 29 with single jet drive. I believe I can handle and maneuver a 36 ft trawler, having never operated one. Yes lots to learn I know, running a trawler at sea is not going to be like a boat on a lake. But believe me I will be a fair weather sailor all along the inside passage.

Never dealt with a broker and not sure I want to.

I’m just saying that buying a boat for the uninitiated and used to a whole different scene of buying and selling, buying a coastal cruiser of size is not what I’m used to and somewhat uncomfortable

I’m just saying that buying a boat for the uninitiated and used to a whole different scene of buying and selling, buying a coastal cruiser of size is not what I’m used to and somewhat uncomfortable

A broker is a factor in many/most transactions. You have to figure how to use them to your benefit, even if they are lousy at their job.

Comodave in post #109 states I have never even asked that the engines be started before I make an offer. The offer will have the standard escape clauses for me, survey, sea trial, insurance and possibly financing. The sea trial is when I expect to see the engines run.

What he didn't say in his post is he's purchased more boats than Brigham Young had wives - I think he's up to 24 or so. And to say he knows his stuff on all-things-boats is an understatement.

This forum is a good place to get a feel for what works for you. Buying a boat can vary by location. Up north boats hibernate in the winter so the typical process changes to accommodate. If a buyer is traveling a distance to look at your boat vs happens to be in the area, makes perfect sense for the seller to make the boat available for enhanced inspection the next day. If the boat is on the "iffy" side and being sold FSBO, makes more sense to go a bit deeper into the systems and conditions. So there are variables but for the base brokerage transaction for a boat in drive-away condition, expecting the engines to be fired up on first visit is not reasonable. At least in my opinion.

Peter

My experience is on lakes, I’ve owned a 16ft Baja with 100hp evinrude, and a 29ft dayruiser with a twin turbo, meth injected, 454, jet drive with droop snoot. 30 yrs ago. Never wrecked either, never had a problem docking the 29 with single jet drive. I believe I can handle and maneuver a 36 ft trawler, having never operated one. Yes lots to learn I know, running a trawler at sea is not going to be like a boat on a lake. But believe me I will be a fair weather sailor all along the inside passage.

The reason there is a similarity in the way things go when buying larger boats worth say more than 50-75K, is because it has evolved into a popular dance between buyers/sellers/brokers that IS comfortable in some ways to all.

I think GrandWood is discussing a completely different market than I am. I believe his experience is correct if we are discussing your average 20’ ski or bass boat. I am discussing Coastal Cruisers that require a survey just for insurance.

I have no doubt that GrandWood can handle a 36’ cruiser. He might be a bit surprised how much different the buying process is and even more surprised when the Insurance company insists he uses a Licensed Captain for proper training.

Until you have sold 40’ plus boats you have no idea of the number of people who have nothing better to do than pretend they are rich and hot to buy a boat. Most the time you can identify these people by asking them what they want in a boat. “I don’t know” is a pretty good give away.

Buying smaller (less $$) boats on inland waters from private sellers is a very different situation than larger, (much larger $$$$) coastal/ blue water boats.

Former more like buying a used car privately, view it, run it, pay $ & drive it away.
Later are closer to real estate transactions, via brokers (in many cases), offers/ acceptance/ contracts, inspection/ surveys, contingencies, mortgage/loan uncertainties, etc.
Would you want your home selling broker messing with furnace control in winter or generator / power panel, etc while you were not in attendance?

If you choose, you can eliminate any boats listed by brokers or homes offered by real estate agents but you really limit your choices by doing so.

Learning how the experience goes here everyday, pretty much had my mind made up on the boat I thought would suit a liveaboard, on the hook lifestyle, GB36/42. My budget as I don’t want to go hog wild and and get in to deep, limited me to a woodie, which I don’t have a problem with. I’m retired, moving to a boat, so have plenty of time to work on it and make a nice Bristol boat. I know most any of um from watching now over a year and a half, just turned 65 this month and officially retired, need bottom paint, and this and that.

Plan has been when the boat is pulled out on lift during survey, would just put on the hard if hull is good and have paint done, any other bottom work, like new units for forward looking sonar, sea cocks if need and such. Really just looking for solid hull and good running engines. Interior I can repair myself, install electronics I can do, woodworking I can do as well.

And yes I know I will have to hire a captain for training, all in the budget.

I have lots of skills, not much of a pro at some of um but have been an electricians helper pulling wire, roughing in homes as well as plumbing. 11 years as a electronic warfare tech, 20 years running heavy equipment, 6-7 yrs as carpenter building custom homes, some custom cabinet work. Built and designed my own home.

I’m selling everything to move to a coastal cruiser that I can run up and down the inside passage. When I gain confidence I’ll give a cruise to Alaska and Mexico a try.

Fishing is one of my favorite hobbies, and look forward to catching the biggest fish of my life, prolly only take one salmon or halibut to accomplish that.

Can’t imagine anything much more exciting then living out the rest of my days on the sea, zero experience, but excited to go, and not scared at all.

Just about ready to head to Seattle and start touring some boats that I have bookmarked if still around at the time. Been a pain trying to get rid of a life’s worth of stuff, lol. Still a few items to sell off.

Made a few offers on RV for the wife, will need to spend a bit of time getting her squared away and then I’m off to the pnw.

Back
Top Bottom