Old 10-02-2021, 05:49 PM   #1

City: Jacksonville/Bahamas
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 49 MY
Transferring US Documentation

I am trying to transfer USCG Docs to us for the new boat. It is a PIA to get thru the noise of 3rd party, high cost internet BS. Any best practices out there?

(side note - much simpler in 2004!)

Thanks in advance!
Osprey69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 05:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey69 View Post
I am trying to transfer USCG Docs to us for the new boat. It is a PIA to get thru the noise of 3rd party, high cost internet BS. Any best practices out there?

Thanks in advance!
I guess I don’t understand what the question is. What 3rd party and high cost internet stuff? What or who is the 3rd party and what are you referring to high cost internet stuff? You don’t use the internet to transfer documentation unless you count filling out a form. But the CG cost is fixed no matter how you do it IF you go directly to the CG. It really hasn’t changed since 2004.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:00 PM   #3

Sorry...went on-line to find transfer docs from CG. Lots of intervening 3rd party listings. Went to CG site. Rather cryptic, and not clear and admittingly being a bit lazy here to plough thru the website (s), thought there might be an easier, way to get to the bottom line...especially on a Saturday night.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Hampton
You can always pay a 3rd party to do the work but it really isn't difficult to do yourself and you need to provide any documentation service the same info anyway.

I assume you are wanting to put the vessel document in your name after a sale. The CG calls that an "exchange". The detailed instructions are here:

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...-28-130935-383

Essentially you submit a few forms found online and the $84 fee and they CG does the rest.
23435ps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:10 PM   #5

Thanky 23435ps...for whatever reason that escaped me.
Old 10-05-2021, 04:06 PM   #6

City: Valley Cottage NY
Vessel Name: Savage
Vessel Model: Seaton 50 expedition trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey69 View Post

Thanks in advance!
No need for 3rd party. Fill out this form and provide current documentation certificate and bill of sale.

https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/D...-28-130935-383
2savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:09 PM   #7

City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
Doc transfer with uscg directly is easy and cheap. Call ask for help. Download fill out forms. Following instructions. Must have written signed sales agmt to proceed.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We bought our new boat mid July and got our new documentation last week. I thought it would take much longer than it actually did.
Old 11-09-2021, 08:14 PM   #9
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillroy View Post
Doc transfer with uscg directly is easy and cheap. Call ask for help. Download fill out forms. Following instructions. Must have written signed sales agmt to proceed.
The seller should have signed the back of the existing reg releasing interest. Has to be notarized. Then you send that in with the exchange form and wait. CG bill of sale can be done instead.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:51 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

If it is documented then you need to have a CG Bill of Sale not the state registration. States may or may not register documented vessels, but to transfer a documented vessel you need the CG Bill of Sale. It is on the NVDC web site.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:53 AM   #11

City: Marathon, FL & On Loop
Vessel Name: Maka Honu
Vessel Model: Ta Yang, 42 Tayana PH Trawler 1976
Go to uscg doc site. Download forms. Execute and return to uscg with small fee. Quite easy and painless. Call them for help. No need for anecdotal or any third party services.
bgillroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:59 AM   #12
Guru

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
i used a marine documentation company to do mine. it was not expensive and they took care of everything including the state registration. everything done by mail or email.
they said to expect the coast guard to take up to three months to send the new document.
i would imagine every state is a little different regarding registration, my licensing place wasn't up to speed on it, that's why i used the documentation firm. they were local and very pleasant to work with.
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:37 AM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmarler View Post
i used a marine documentation company to do mine. it was not expensive and they took care of everything including the state registration. everything done by mail or email.
they said to expect the coast guard to take up to three months to send the new document.
i would imagine every state is a little different regarding registration, my licensing place wasn't up to speed on it, that's why i used the documentation firm. they were local and very pleasant to work with.
To the OP, it's normally a simple process. However, if you find the combination of state and USCG and the forms and other aspects to be stressful, then a legitimate documentation service, not one of the google search grab and go ones, can provide a good service at a reasonable price.

Most of the time, simple, but state can be more complex, especially if state has sales tax. Just if you choose to get help, get a legitimate service.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #14
Guru

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Model: Willard Vega Horizon
For the benefit of many who may wish to use a service, who are the legitimate services? Is there a list?
HTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:42 AM   #15
Guru

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
To the OP, it's normally a simple process. However, if you find the combination of state and USCG and the forms and other aspects to be stressful, then a legitimate documentation service, not one of the google search grab and go ones, can provide a good service at a reasonable price.

Most of the time, simple, but state can be more complex, especially if state has sales tax. Just if you choose to get help, get a legitimate service.
100% i would only use a local firm where i could actually see them in person if i wanted to. any good local yacht broker could point you in the right direction.
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:58 AM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
I would not hesitate to use either of the following:

https://howardsreederinc.com/marine-documentation/

https://www.mardoc.com/
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #17

Thanks all. Once I found the right site we are good. Check cashed and awaiting docs.