Is there a hole in the market?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wife wants twin screw boat... why is she adamant on that style propulsion?
The ultimate plan for this boats it to do the inside passage, up into SE Alaska. With the remotness of that area, the would feel more at ease with 2 screws.

The ultimate plan for this boats it to do the inside passage, up into SE Alaska. With the remotness of that area, the would feel more at ease with 2 screws.

Whether you agree or not, if twin screws give her peace of mind and help her enjoy the journey, that is vitally important and not to be discounted. If you're not able to relax, it really diminishes the whole endeavor. Best of luck.

B20 - Purchase for cash. Insure it well. Have fun!

If I could sell this place today, retire. Pay cash for a boat, be a liveaboard. Cruise the PNW.......well even Peter Pan had to grow up at some point...

Greetings,
Mr. B20. Mr Gd raises a VERY valid point in his post (#14) IMO. Look for cruisers. Big engines? Driven at trawler speeds, evidently, they are quite economical.
White interior? IF it is white plastic, MUCH easier to clean than wood. Again, IMO. Although white feels much more sterile than wood, a lot can be done with the proper decorating.

What is your idea of a big engine? School me, I have been told I am trainable.

Really depends on the size of boat but to trawler owners we generally consider engines big enough to get a boat fully planning to be large, this is probably at least 350-400HP for a 35-40' cruiser (twins).

Some planning boats don't handle rough weather very comfortably running at trawler speeds. Sportfishers tend to handle well at a wide variety of speeds in rough weather because they need to be able to run at trolling speed all day in offshore conditions. Value oriented express cruisers tent to have a low dead rise in order to plane with as small of engines (to lower cost) as possible and they tend to struggle the most in foul weather or be real fuel hogs running halfway planing pulling a monster wake to avoid pounding or stuffing the bow.

Greetings,
Mr. B20. Mr. Gd. describes it well. I may have missed it but what area are you planning on cruising in and what do you want the boat to do for you? Are you planning on marina hopping or anchoring out? Where is E-burg? East or west coast?

E-Burg

West Coast - I believe E-burg is slang for Ellensburg, WA, which is about 2 hours east of Seattle - easy trip on I-80 headed west - just have to go over Snoqualmie Pass to get there - winter can be an issue. Been through there hundreds of times going to and from Seattle...

I have always preferred full planing [FP] hull twin screw boats. Their four sector speed choices please my requirements.

1. Go really slow [4.5 to 5 knots] for pretty great nmpg; i.e. 3 +/- nmpg

2. Go just below hull speed [6.5 to 7 knots for our FP boat]; i.e. 2 +/- nmpg

3. Go on full plane [16 to 17 knots for our boat]; i.e. 1 +/- nmpg

4. Go WOT [22 to 23 knots for our boat]; i.e. 1/2 +/- nmpg = expense filled speed... but... fast enough when needed to quickly get there [or get out of the way] when really needed. I only hit WOT for momentary engine checks and very seldom for fast alteration of position in a bay.

That we have FP hull with 510 total hp [two 350 ci, 255 hp Mercruiser gassers] there is a broad range of cruising speed opportunities. Some quite fuel efficient... others not so much!

That said about FP hull with considerable power: In general, those with full displacement [FD] boats seem to like just enough hp engine to reach hull speed, which is wise IMO, because hull speed is a fast as they can go without exceptional fuel use to even go just a tiny bit faster. Some well designed FD hulls with efficient engine can get great nmpg at just below their hull speeds. Owner reports usually range from 3 to 4 + nmpg.

Soooo... there's the basics on two boat bottom designs, engine sizes and fuel use results. Semi displacement [SD] hulls are also a good choice... I'll let someone else depict SD hull stats! They offer a cross section between FP and FD hull circumstances.

:speed boat::speed boat::speed boat::speed boat:

Last edited:
West Coast - I believe E-burg is slang for Ellensburg, WA, which is about 2 hours east of Seattle - easy trip on I-80 headed west - just have to go over Snoqualmie Pass to get there - winter can be an issue. Been through there hundreds of times going to and from Seattle...

I-90 not 80........

Greetings,
Mr. B20. Mr. Gd. describes it well. I may have missed it but what area are you planning on cruising in and what do you want the boat to do for you? Are you planning on marina hopping or anchoring out? Where is E-burg? East or west coast?

Wet coast, no thats not a typo. Look at a map of Washington, take a sharpened pencil and put the poiny end in the center of the state. You will have it hit, E-burg, with your pencil. Hope this helps.

Over the last year have spoken to multiple wrenches, universal opinion among them is the boats that get towed in for engine failure are twins much more than singles. Their impression is with a single unlike a twin you feel, hear, feel and sense the slightly thing being off with a single. Knowing it’s a single you jump on it before it’s a real issue. Whereas with a twin you’re more likely to not perceive something is off and knowing it’s a twin more likely to blow it off to address it until convenient knowing it’s a twin. Was really surprised as believed having the redundancy of twins would translate into fewer or no tows. After hearing the same thing from several contra intuitively believe them at this point.

Plenty of tow situations are operator error (where they either caused the failure or could have gotten things working enough but didn't know how). I'm surprised by the idea that having twins makes you less likely to notice a problem forming.

Then again, I'd expect a large portion of tows are smaller boats and express cruisers regardless of single or twin. Those groups seem to get worse maintenance than I'd expect most of us to give. I see many owners that think the engine compartment is just that thing the mechanic opens once a year to change the oil and replace parts when they fail.

In the San Francisco Estuary, one is more likely to suffer shaft./propeller damage than multiple engine failure.

Twice the engines, twice the potential for failure. With a keel-protected shaft/propeller (common with single-engine-boats), less risk. But watch out for lobster trap lines.

Plenty of tow situations are operator error (where they either caused the failure or could have gotten things working enough but didn't know how). I'm surprised by the idea that having twins makes you less likely to notice a problem forming.

Then again, I'd expect a large portion of tows are smaller boats and express cruisers regardless of single or twin. Those groups seem to get worse maintenance than I'd expect most of us to give. I see many owners that think the engine compartment is just that thing the mechanic opens once a year to change the oil and replace parts when they fail.

One one my most enjoyed habits... very often check on and always keep in good condition all of my several vehicles' engines/driveline. Another enjoyable habit is listening to each of my engines puuuurrrrr!! And, an enjoyment while cruising is listening to the harmony of twins' in close rpm synchronization!! Oh Yeah Baby!!!!

PS: Our 1967 Buick Wildcat / 1975 Crestliner boat / 1977 Tollycraft boat / 1985 1T Chevy 4wd truck / 1996 Tiffin Allegro RV can all be considered "classics" - Great Fun & Enjoyment Galore... They're in top condition!

Last edited:
Over the last year have spoken to multiple wrenches, universal opinion among them is the boats that get towed in for engine failure are twins much more than singles. Their impression is with a single unlike a twin you feel, hear, feel and sense the slightly thing being off with a single. Knowing it’s a single you jump on it before it’s a real issue. Whereas with a twin you’re more likely to not perceive something is off and knowing it’s a twin more likely to blow it off to address it until convenient knowing it’s a twin. Was really surprised as believed having the redundancy of twins would translate into fewer or no tows. After hearing the same thing from several contra intuitively believe them at this point.

I strongly agree with this!

My hearing is still pretty good (inspite of what my wife says), but my brain is constantly looking for changes in sound or vibration. It's my habit to be very OCD about maintenance of the mechanical systems of my single engine boat, but the brain is constantly looking for the next failure. When I second captained a larger twin engine boat, it was near impossible to differentiate the engines or generator running. So after a while I would block the noise out.

Regarding singles and twins, I agree with your wife. If traveling to remote parts of Alaska without a buddy boat, I would consider twins as the first step in self help. If you are going to buddy boat or not go into remote areas, I would be fine with a single.

Ted

The Silverton 453 caught our eye with all the storage and hardened fly bridge.

Greetings,
Mr. B20. Mr Gd raises a VERY valid point in his post (#14) IMO. Look for cruisers. Big engines? Driven at trawler speeds, evidently, they are quite economical.

The 453s often had either Cummins 450s or Volvo 480s.

Our 450s on a slightly smaller convertible could get up to 2 NMPG at about 7 kts... depending on wind, current tide... calculated, not measured The fuel consumption/prop curve said 1.9 GPH at 1000 RPM (usually about 8 kts in calm seas) so slightly less than 4 GPH total.

Planing hulls aren't always happy with all sea states, though.

-Chris

The wife and I are looking for a boat, we have been pre approved by a local lender. But the boat must be 25 years or newer, . While searching the usual places, I have come to notice, that "Trawlers" in this age range and price point are a rare thing. I can find all sorts of Bayliners, Silvertons, Carvers within this range. Am I missing something, are manufactures making fewer trawlers?

Trawlers have traditionally held there value do to the the way they are built and often times cared for . the loan market has always shied away from older boats. Many lenders don't go past 10 years and wooden boats are next to impossible to loan on trawlersby there very nature were built to go the distance so they command more money than the pretty day boats,and harbor cruises captain jerry from Santa marta colombia on our way to aruba

I have a 1984 Present Trawler for sale twin lemans - maintained by a master diesel mechanic-all records- Brick new jersey- advertised on Global one yacht brokerage. I will deal so i don't have to put it away for winter. 215 317 4991

Last edited:

That's where I think the real issue is, not as suggested having anything to do with the sounds of twins masking a failing engine.

One could even make a logical argument that twin engines besides offering 100% redundancy.... offer a comparison in sight, sounds, and engine gauges allowing a operator to immediately note differences between two engines

Last edited:
... Which is why there are so many popping up on one's searches on sales websites, and aren't selling, because people can't get financing for them...

I think the bigger issue is that nobody can find insurance for them. It was a nightmare to try to find insurance on our 1989 40' trawler.

Boat

The wife and I are looking for a boat, we have been pre approved by a local lender. But the boat must be 25 years or newer, . While searching the usual places, I have come to notice, that "Trawlers" in this age range and price point are a rare thing. I can find all sorts of Bayliners, Silvertons, Carvers within this range. Am I missing something, are manufactures making fewer trawlers?

I've just listed my '89 Grand Banks 46' Classic. Located in Jax at the Florida YC.

JJ Best Bank is really good for financing quality older trawlers. I have a1987 Grand Banks and want no problem

i use Chubb on my 84 Present trawler no Issues-

I secured a home equity loan to buy mine. No restrictions on the boat. Whether that is an option for you is a different matter. This is a sellers market, and generally quality trawlers are going to be a bit more expensive than a lot of other pleasure boats. Best of luck.

A home equity loan may work better for you. Most likely lower interest rates and there on no restrictions on what boat you want to buy.

True but the interest on a boat loan may be tax deductible as a second home but not if it was purchased with a line of credit on your house. Trump rules.

If you have equity in your home get a line of credit and use it for the boat. The boat is not used for security of the loan, the home is.

Also true of most non-IRA brokerage accounts. The broker uses your assets as security and doesn't care what you use the money for as long as it's not to invest in other securities! Two dangers here. One is that the interest rate floats. The other is that if your investments fall below a certain threshold (which varies based upon what the investments are) you might get a margin call. At that point you either fire sell your boat or refinance it.

Side note. This kind of loan is business done between a broker and their client and is not reported to credit agencies. It does not impact your ratios.

This is not google search information btw. I am a fully licensed financial advisor for a well known brokerage firm. I have many clients that do this.

Tak

Back
Top Bottom