Tariffs on Chinese built boats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most likely because there are not a lot of boats built here and if the boat comes from China and it is what you want, then buy it. Because there probably isn’t one built here that meets their needs/wants. Would I rather buy American made, absolutely but the reality is that sometimes it just isn’t built here. That is just reality.

Lol, there are a lot of boats built in the US. I'm sure you can find something that fits your needs. You just have to look. Don't settle for less, unless you can't afford an American built boat. Even if it is an older boat it's still better than supporting china

Most likely because there are not a lot of boats built here and if the boat comes from China and it is what you want, then buy it. Because there probably isn’t one built here that meets their needs/wants. Would I rather buy American made, absolutely but the reality is that sometimes it just isn’t built here. That is just reality.

Purchased my Chines-built (American-owned company) boat a decade ago. The only one with strong railings, keel-protected propeller and rudder, and 180-degree decks, in the desired boat size.

Attachments

• turning from berth.jpg
    turning from berth.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 36
Palm Beach not built in China, They are built in Malaysia (with GB0 & Australia

Cheoy Lee is building a motoryacht at a new factory in Doumen; Selene builds ocean trawlers from 36 to 72 feet at Jet-Tern Marine in Zhuhai; Australian company Halvorsen builds its Solo and Island Gypsy trawlers at several yards in China; Marlow builds passagemakers from 57 to 78 feet at a state-of-the-art facility in Xiamen and Seahorse builds trawlers at Zhuhai.
Hampton also builds in China.
Does Halvorsen/IG exist as a builder anymore? Not here.
Of course it`s political, but not in a "Party" sense. There is a cold war. Isn`t that a factor in choosing build location?

Lol, there are a lot of boats built in the US. I'm sure you can find something that fits your needs. You just have to look. Don't settle for less, unless you can't afford an American built boat. Even if it is an older boat it's still better than supporting china

There are not very many American built trawlers. My boat was built in Taiwan 33 years ago. Many many years ago I lost my job because of offshoring work, please don’t preach to me about buy American. I do when it makes sense to do so. I wish I could do it for everything I buy, but get a grip on reality, it cannot be done.

Don’t want to start a flame war. But 20 some years ago I was involved in a capital project building a thousand new railcars. One of the criteria for this project was wringing excess weight to increase payload. One of the heaviest components had been designed back in the 1920’s and our engineers came up with a clean sheet design. We visited all the American suppliers and were told that if wasn’t in the catalog we’re not interested. Price was not the object but the Chinese foundries were more than happy to cast to our specs.

I often feel that a lot of our wounds are self inflicted. I recall a conversation I had with the late Chip Shea who at that time was the VP Marketing at Mainship why only the Nantucket 34’s had diesels as standard power. His answer was that the cost analysts wanted 100% markup on powertrains and the market would not support it in midsized boats.

Jim

We'll that's one persons opinion.

Chinese tariffs

So power boats between 47' and 120' are exempt? Very interesting. I'm guessing the builders got that slipped in after the whole tariff thing got started.

I saw something that said that the majority of the tariffs on Chinese wares were things that we never purchased. Things like oil we imported from China, which we don't. According to what I read (on the Internet, so it must be true :O ) was most of the tariffs were simply blustery comments that sounded bad but in reality affected nobody.

One American built boat I can recommend it the American Tug. I have a 34/36 but maybe you would be more comfortable with a 41/43.
Look at the site for the layout diagrams, if the layout will satisfy you, start a search and visiting. Finding a used AT is a bit difficult which should suggest, people are happy.

Remember, you may want to modify the interior of any boat to make the boat "yours".

You are correct in the absolute sense. However, any manufacturing country can subsidize the product this lowering the invoice price to the importer which, in effect, pays the tariff.
The Chinese do not pay ANY part of an import tariff. The Ameican buyer pays the tariff when the boat is imported, well actually the importer pays it and then passes it along to the buyer.

Bills do not become law until signed by the president. No signature, no tax unless a veto were to be overridden. So, the buck stopped at Bush's desk. He could have stopped it but didn't.
True but it is Congress that generates the bills to be signed.
Democrats controlled both the Senate and the House. Tom Foley (D) Speaker of the House....Robert Byrd (D) Senate Majority leader in 1991. So everyone takes part of the blame.

Yes, buy American cars. Americans do build cars every bit as good (today) as anything foreign-built.

First, there was no additional tariff added to boats from China. The current tariff is 1.5% if imported into US.

Second, there are plenty of boats built in China, some in Taiwan, some in Malaysia. The Chinese builders sales in the US remain good although hurt some by the pandemic. Horizon, Cheoy Lee, Outer Reef are doing well as are others.

TARRIF’s are ALWAYS bad for everybody.
Econ 101

taxes and tariffs are always "pass through".
increase taxes and tariffs must be absorbed by the manufactures or the seller especially if the mark-up and or profit of the final produce is not that great.
ECON101A

Tariffs were put in place to try to level the playing field. When China dumps product in the USA to eliminate competition, it often increases unemployment or reduces better paying blue collar jobs. Loss of good paying blue collar jobs is bad for the overall economy.

ECON2.0

Ted

Tariffs were put in place to try to level the playing field. When China dumps product in the USA to eliminate competition, it often increases unemployment or reduces better paying blue collar jobs. Loss of good paying blue collar jobs is bad for the overall economy.

ECON2.0

Ted

Yes, trickle dow unemployment (my n key died.)

Wifey B: Then how did you type unemployment without an n key? :confused:
Wifey, it was a joke. Like the Monty Python sketch about the man unable to pronounce the letter "c" and who observes that makes him a silly "bunt".
Regarding a self opinionated sports journalist here. Someone claimed every key on his keyboard failed, except the letter "I", and he didn`t notice for months.

It is the truth, no n key. I either rely on spell check or I have restarted to putting the n in the buffer and calling up when needed.

Any idea of taxes/duty with importing a Taiwan built trawler from Spain or Portugal into the US?
I understand sales tax, but apparently I'm not searching using the correct keywords as I'm not getting any info . . .

Any idea of taxes/duty with importing a Taiwan built trawler from Spain or Portugal into the US?
I understand sales tax, but apparently I'm not searching using the correct keywords as I'm not getting any info . . .

Tariff/duty is 1.5%. As to sales/use tax, it is totally dependent on the state and how long you've owned it.

Tariff/duty is 1.5%. As to sales/use tax, it is totally dependent on the state and how long you've owned it.

Got it, thanks, that jibes with what I was able to figure out. Thanks again

Chinese boats

Actually, it was Bush who enacted the 10% luxury tax in '91, and repealed by Clinton in '93

No, it was Carter. It almost destroyed the American boat and general aviation industry. As raising taxes always does.

If ya cant afford it dont buy it,they are called boats not investments! BRING ON ANOTHER THOUSAND

Back
Top Bottom